Why do mounts backpedal so slowly?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Jeridor, Nov 29, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

Bloodfang@Nagafen wrote:
    I'm surprised at how many people haven't figured out that they can disable auto-face.
  2. ARCHIVED-Jeridor Guest

A couple of other observations:
    - I don't know how one pretends that anything about a magic carpet is "realistic".
    - If we're going to justify unfortunate mechanics with realism, then make horses fully real. Make it allow you to jump better if it's a horse, but not jump at all really if it's a rhino. Make jumping on carpets cause you to fall off. Require food for animal mounts that are alive. Allow damage to mounts, even death/destruction. This would make the game more realistic, and that's what's important right?
    Of course, I'm being sarcastic with point two, but not just to be sarcastic, I'm making a point - realism is great and all, but it should have a point to it, unless you're talking about a game that's intended to simulate an environment at any other cost, such as a flight sim. There's a reason none of the other changes I mentioned haven't rolled in, and the slow reverse should be backed out.
    I fully accept personal preference as a response, some people like it I guess. But I personally think it's just a stubborn sort of stance to declare it as good for the game somehow in the name of realism if you're not willing to carry the realism argument all the way out. If you're one of the few who would love to see every ounce of realism poured in, then you have a completely valid argument.
  3. ARCHIVED-Jeridor Guest

LordPazuzu wrote:
    Hmm. Mount speed buffs cancel in combat, so I'm not sure why this was necessary. Seems like a self-correcting problem without slowing mounts to less than the speed of walking if you're going backwards.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nocifer Deathblade Guest

Wow! Guess no one remembered the real reason behind making horse/carpet rearing so slow..
    It got changed after full speed of rearing for first 2 years. It was changed to address the advantage of kiting especially shooting on mount making encounters go easy. That's why carpet got hit cuz it can do that same advantage of kiting. The nerf occured before EOF that there weren't much of speed enchantments without mounts..
    Fast forwarding to today.. Now, it's easy enough to get good speed without mounts and they can kite mobs. The nerf suddently no longer needed. That should apply to both horse and carpet so they can go backwards at full speed once again. It's no reason why horse rearing should stay slow while carpet enjoying full speed backwards then the attraction value of horse will immediately be shot and everyone would go for carpet. How boring is that?
    The change never been the reason because of realism. It was the reason of the advantage of kiting. That's all. Yes, the change sure made it more realistic but that was just nice side effect of real change..
  5. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

I ditched my 44% horse after dying a couple times because of the "auto face" issue. Now I have a carpet which seems to be less of a nightmare. I realize if I have the forethought, I can press ESC to de-target and run from battle. I just think it's funny and sad that a horse is a liability to a ranger in combat.

Someone at Sony forgot to step back and think "big picture". A) Is this a change that brings real balance to the game? B) Does it make sense for a horse to be a deathtrap for a ranger? The answer to both is no.

If the reason was kiting, then that's stupid. Kiting is part of all MMORPGs. I have picked all my AAs so I can solo high level mobs with my ranger by trapping them, slowing them (Leg Shot), and then running away and shooting arrows until they get into melee range and finishing them off with melee attacks. There's also Pathfinding, totems, and Spirit of Wolf.

If they really want to eliminate kiting they're going to have to nerf the entire game back to the stone age. It is pointless to stop kiting so why bother? Oh yes, cause they are trying to 'balance' the game for PvP. I have said before they need to stop making changes to PvE servers solely for PvP 'balance'.

More realism about carpets: Why can't we stay above water on our carpets?
  6. ARCHIVED-Nocifer Deathblade Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Yeah, nerf was happening before all new AA stuff and various mechanics changes coming in that made nerf invalid..

Anyway, if carpet can float over water.. If carpet can rear full speed while horse sinks in water and rears slow. What reason do we buy horses, rhinos, wargs while carpet is clearly superior in every area? Nope. ALL mounts must be created equal so all mounts have equal value. Right now, carpet vs animal mounts are just for looks..
  7. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

Aphlos@Lucan DLere wrote:
    When body pulling you are not considered "in-combat". You merely have aggro.

Nocifer Deathblade wrote:
    All mounts must be created equal so all mounts have equal value? I hope this is sarcasm. My sarcasm meter must be busted today.
    All mounts being created equal is boring and lame. Carpet vs. horse shouldn't be just for looks. One's a freakin carpet and the other is a freakin horse. They should behave totally different. Now, if they could only make the carpets fly for real. Oh, and that floating disc from Deathtoll too.
  8. ARCHIVED-Soxxwolf Guest

Effie wrote:
  9. ARCHIVED-Chaly Guest

Soxxwolf wrote:
    Thank you, Soxxwolf, for explaining it both concisely and politely. Those that play the "sneaky bastage" types know why we do what we do. My Warden doesn't have a mount, thanks to a 45% SoW, so it's not a problem. My Monk ... well, positional attacks are not a factor for him, and running away as a Monk is ... not an issue. Against an NPC, we can feign death, and running in PvP once engaged is just a slow death. It's something that should be addressed, as it's more than just an appearance issue. Prefferably before they come out with any more LON garbage.
  10. ARCHIVED-Sunlei Guest

this issue was moved to the look and feel forum from the Gameplay forum. guess the mods all use carpets that go back or foward same speed!
    The horses moving like snails backwards is a "GAMEPLAY" issue if there ever was one.
    I don't care what the horses look like or what colors they are( i do but thats look and feel stuff)..
    The "gameplay" is crappy when the horses move backwards in a snails pace.
    The "gameplay" is crappy when a horse can't jump over a pebble!
    I want that nurf removed, thanks!
  11. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

Soxxwolf wrote:
    Ummmm... you're trying to tell me that an extra 200 magic mitigation makes that much of a difference in fights?
    Or are you saying that scouts NEED a legendary drop from Deathtoll (with its 5.8 defense bonus) so they don't bleed to death?

In 69 levels on my assassin, I have never NEEDED to use my mount in combat.
  12. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

Come to think of it... a scout trying to perform precise combat manouvres while on horseback is just ridiculous.
    Could you imagine a stealthy assassin lurking in the shadows on top of a 1 ton Destrier or a 1500 lb Charger? :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Sunlei Guest

lol, well it's not hard to "imagine" everyone on carpets cause that's what people use mostly. Cause its free from a quest or drops from loot like that smokie round skateboard 'mount' thing. imo those are the silly looking 'mounts'
    least those things back-up at the same speed as they go foward..even if they do look silly to me :p
    100% horses for me...i will never ride the skateboards :)
  14. ARCHIVED-bleap Guest

Plain and simply SOE broke the mounts and then gave us the "realism" excuse to try to hide the fact they borked the back up on mounts purposely because PVP players on mounts had some sort of "unfair" advantage....They went back after several months and undid the nerf on quested carpets but for most mounts backward speed is far slower than a walk....The "realism" argument doesn't hold water...for one it's a FANTASY game...for 2 there are many many other "unrealistic" moving graphics in the game that they did not bother to "fix" making them also more realistic..

It's a nerf, like so many others....far to lazy to make the change only on PVP servers or to just leave it the way it was and have players become creative in methods to avoid those on mounts....Frankly if they want to make it realistic they should have left the mount speed and make the mount targetable on PVP servers...kill a players mount (or destroy it) and then they can't simply run away from you....

It was stupid then, and it's stupid now...and as far as I am concerned they are broken....
  15. ARCHIVED-bleap Guest

Has anyone else noticed that posts like this that are game play issues get moved (buried) when SOE doesn't want to address an issue or believes an issue is dead....who cares if we have a portion of our customers who aren't satisfied...we are SOE and we will do what we wish...
  16. ARCHIVED-Mighty Melvor Guest

bleap wrote:
    Can you refer me to the update notes that state that mounts were changed for PvP?
    Frankly, I'm a little tired or seeing posts stating that things were changed for PvP. PvP is a small portion of the EQ2 community as a whole. SOE is not nerfing game machanics to support only a small population of the game.
    Mounts are working as intended. Don't like it? Then while in combat - dismount. Having positional classes (scouts) use them at full speed frontwards and backwards was broken. It is working as intended and most of the community is happy with it.
    Stop blaming PvP!
  17. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

Mighty Melvor wrote:
    Though it ain't directed at me, for I've not mentioned due to not knowing or wanting to know anything about the PvP malarky. I couldn't care less why it was changed, but I dare say it's a stretch to say "most of the community is happy with it", more like "the community are people and many people tend to apathetically accept what they're given whether they're happy with it or not".
    Mounts may well be working as SoE intended. But not liking it suggesting dismounting as a valid option is not considered a decent option. Not after paying series plat for a mount, many of which come with stats specifically suggesting their use in combat.
    Many of us do feel the need to dismount in combat, but that is evidently not satisfactory to everyone. If it truly is better in some people eyes, for whatever reason, providing feedback is worthwhile. It's what is occuring here.
    I consider any nod to it being for realism is flawed - realism is great to aim at until it impinges upon gameplay.
    Neither can I consider a positional class simply doing so a little faster in a mount something broken. If they've spent the money and/or faction, they should get the benefit it describes, as should anyone. Not get a nice speed boost when travelling and having to ignore the combat benefits the mounts can provide by having to dismount due to the reverse speed being possibly considered "broken".
  18. ARCHIVED--Arctura- Guest

Wyrmypops wrote:
    (( LOLLLLLLLLLLI laughed so hard IRL, i even guffawed at this quote :)

The change was put in because people were exploiting it by engaging targets in pvp then moving backwards and using a lag-warp to cause them to be constantly 'out of range'.
    Carpets were unaffected since they float, and carpets can move in any direction at the same speed. fyi

[IMG]
  19. ARCHIVED-adolf102 Guest

I like the fact horses moves backward slowly. It is a nice touch and adds to game feel.
  20. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

-Arctura- wrote:
    I'll presume you're laughing with rather than at.
    But, if it was that exploit being used in PvP that necessitated mounts reverse slowly, then why is it not applied to carpets too? Surely whatever a lag-warp is could be conducted while on one of them eh. If it's a floating thing, then surely all mounts could be made to float one pixel above the floor to enable them to reverse adequately.
    I guess it grates on me more than most because I do tend to favour realism - but this time the gameplay is impacted too much. Again, perhaps more on me than most, as a tank, and having to body pull makes this more of an issue. Just glad I wasn't a crusader with that AA line that required they be mounted to use the abilities.