Why do mounts backpedal so slowly?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Jeridor, Nov 29, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Jeridor Guest

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand this. My warg is the greatest pain in the backside ever.
    1. It moves much more slowly backward than I would move backward on foot.
    2. It can't jump nearly as well as I can on foot. Sometimes I have to dismount just to jump onto a ledge.
    I find myself dismounting often for various reasons, and there's no way you can pull mobs on a mount very well. You have to either move back at a snail's pace, or get aggro and then turn 180 and run away in a forward direction.
  2. ARCHIVED-wullailhuit Guest

Because they changed it about a year ago to make the movement of mounts more 'realistic'
  3. ARCHIVED-NANEEJE Guest

quick hint... paladin chat helped me with this... turn only 90 degrees,and strafe... that way you still have eyes "almost" on target, but it works... very frustrating, but yes... it is crazy slow to go backwards, ... do carpets do the same thing? or is it the same?
  4. ARCHIVED-Femke Guest

To your first question, ever tried to let a horse walk backwards? They do it very slowly.

The jumping is just animation not added so long ago (EoF if I am right).... and I think that it just an animation, not advantage over walking on foot.

Added: I mostly get off my mount before starting a fight anyway...

Femke.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jeridor Guest

Hmm. I'm not sure when exactly EQ2 started trying to be a simulator and not a fantasy RPG. This mechanic is frustrating, and I just can't imagine too many people are thinking "man this sucks, but these mounts are SO realistic!"
    If it's not for fun, not for balance and it detracts from either, it should be out. Or so I think.
    </$0.02>
  6. ARCHIVED-Femke Guest

There is my opinion a difference between being simulator and stepping completely away from "reality". I like this little piece of "reality" in this case, but that is just me.

Femke.
  7. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Femke wrote:
    If you have the higher level mounts you will be getting combat modifiers while sitting on your horse so it may be better that you DON'T dismount....at least while soloing. I agree that in groups it is better for all if the mounts are dispensed with prior to action, if only to aid the frame rate.
    I also have to agree with the slow reverse on horses...it is more realistic. Carpets too...it is more realistic in THIS case that they CAN reverse at speed....makes them remain useful in RoK for pulling purposes while retaining a certain amount of speed for running away. Pity they can't fly over water......probably some induction loop glitch in the fabric....SOE probably bought a job lot from China.
  8. ARCHIVED-Belaythien Guest

I like the fact that horses act a bit more realistic. It is no problem unless you pretend it to be one ;). If you need to jump over a ledge, back up a bit, run towards the ledge and jump. It's a horse (or even worse a rhino) and not a mountain goat.

Some people even ask for an option to hide mounts, like hats and cloaks. Then again you might as well ask for an instant experience butten. After all combat can be a minor annoyance on your way to the next level, too .
  9. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

In my head, intellectually, I like that mounts go slower when backing up. It makes sense.
    However, in my heart, I hate it. I hate having acquired an expensive mount and not really being able to use it when fighting. Especially when they come with combat modifiers.
    Backing slowly into a mob so I can pull away to a safe spot is not exactly the kind of fight one reads about in fantasy fiction is it eh. It's not fun. It annoys me. When it happens I don't think "my, how pleasent, a rare touch of realism", no, I think things that the language filter would delete.
  10. ARCHIVED-Eugam Guest

Because back then you could body pull very fast and the mob couldnt hit you while backing up. People where standing in a safe spot, miles away from the mobs and let the tank pull on a carpet. No risk... only reward. Cyclops anyone ? Not to mention how silly a plated barbarian looks on a carpet.
  11. ARCHIVED-Mantees Guest

Fighting on a horse has its cons and pros. You have to decide if for you it is better to stay on your mount, or to dismount before starting a fight.

I like it how it is to be honest
  12. ARCHIVED-netglen Guest

That's why I've always used my *free* carpet for that very reason. Does the Wargs and Rhinos have the same backing up restriction?
  13. ARCHIVED-Effie Guest

A few points of melee skills or a few hundred magic mitigation is so totally not worth giving up full freedom of movement.
    I personally have the blue nightmare on my assassin and I dismount before every (non grey) fight.
  14. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

Erm, this just got moved here from Gameplay. Is it believed to be a whimsical graphic issue then? A passing fancy that we pay so much money for a mount, many with combat benefits, and it's pure contraryness on our part that we choose to dismount rather than suffer the slow reverse speed? If so, if mounts are not a gameplay tool then perhaps their cost should come down to a price comparable with no stat fashion clothes.
    No, this is a gameplay issue. Specifically a gameplay vs realism issue. I typically learn towards the realism side of the seesaw on other issues, but not this one. This issue impacts too much on gameplay to provide me at least a smile at the nod to realism. Realism is always a commendable and worthy thing to keep in mind when developing, but not at the expense of gameplay.
  15. ARCHIVED-quasigenx Guest

Quick tip: if you zoom into first person, you can turn away from the mob without being "locked" into it.
  16. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

Certain classes have to dismount to fight, period. Scouts need to be able to perform agile movements that just can't be done on a mount. IMHO, this is as it should be... just wanted to comment that mounts aren't just a graphic embellishment. I agree that this really is a gameplay issue.

I don't like the rearing mechanism either. No one can see it beyond first person but it effectively disables the space bar while it is being used. The first few uses it was a cute novelty, but the fact that it gets in the way of jumping even a small ledge is bad design. Even though a mount IRL can't vertical-jump tall buildings they can jump to *some* extent from standing. At this juncture I assume the rearing isn't going to be fully implemented and quite frankly I think it needs to be removed or an Option put in to turn it off.
  17. ARCHIVED-Chaly Guest

It's annoying. The mounts move backwards so slowly that it's not worth it ... backing up I mean. Here's the thing that gets me, though; you can't turn & wheel away from your target. If that were possible, it would be a non-issue. But no, once the die is cast, that ******* equine will not turn away. Even after cancelling autoattack, you still face it and circle around your target. The classic turn & burn doesn't work. And that's in both PvE and PvP. Do I need sharper spurs to drive the point home? Pulling the bit through my spectral mounts' head? Or is it just too dumb ... flunked warhorse training school?
    And dismounting for PvP is not preferrable for me. I like to be able to catch runners, especially the ones that rush up to try to gank you, then sprint away when they realize that not only is your opponent dead, but you're still in pretty sound health.
  18. ARCHIVED-Sunlei Guest

For the first 2 years of the game the horses moved backwards the same speeds as foward. Then one day, all of a sudden the mounts were changed to move backwards at a snails pace.
    It's not realistic unless you ride a old family 'pet' type of horse. One thats backed-up under saddle once every 10 years ;) ya those are slow even if they 'remember' training that happened years ago.
    It's just way to slow, silly slow to be less than dismounted speed!
    This change was done to remove some advantage of use, just like jumping pebbles is not 'realistic'. Had to make any jumping a pain in the rear, its not realistice that a horse can't jump anything...
    Horses are the best "natural 4 wheel drive" in the world..they can JUMP over their height. They can crush someones chest back through their spine in one one quarter second kick. They can run flat out at over 40 mph and back-up faster than a man can run.
    So let's stop the .."this is realistic the snails pace backing up". It's a nurf! a annoying nurf number 6872!
    Time for the developers to have all mounts go backwards at the snails pace or fix the reverse nurf to be fun again, instead of like a freaking ball and chain.
  19. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

While definitely being more realistic, I thought the mechanical reason for this was to prevent high-speed body pulling from trivializing content difficulty.
    Personally, I'd rather have mounts treated as pets, not objects, with their own HP, stats, and special abilities. Horse gets spooked in combat and off you go! Wheee! hehe... Of course, carpets and other non-living mounts should still be treated as objects.
  20. ARCHIVED-Saevan Guest

LordPazuzu wrote:
    Two points. First of all, I found it pretty funny when pulling Yha-lei (fishmen) out of the water, that I zoomed backwards while swimming then slowed to a crawl when I hit the beach and my mount reappeared. Not really a problem in that case, just mildly amusing.
    Second, you may not have seen it yet, but there does seem to be a 'mount as pet' mechanism in the game. I've run into a couple of named in RoK who dismount towards the end of the fight, and the horse fights for them. I thought that was pretty cool. The mounted skeleton lord under the dragon in the Field of Bone is one example.