Varsoon will have live adventure experience rates?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Tesoth, May 3, 2022.

1. SeaJae Member

That's is a hot take. A wrong hot take, but a hot take nonetheless.
  2. Zenji Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks.
    Personally I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over how the first day or 2 of leveling went on a server that will be around for the next couple years. It's small potatoes compared to stuff like itemization or content tuning.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Trying to be factual can be a futile exercise some times as we have both found out.

If people want to believe that the rate of xp will be the main catalyst in the success or failure of the server that is their choice.

However, as we both know from experience, the history of these servers doesn't support that.
    Zebaz, Rayzor and Zenji like this.
  4. Jadefox2 Active Member

Your opinions are not facts - they are opinions.
    Dude likes this.
  5. oakmiser Well-Known Member

Remember that itemization is seeing a nerf. You will be killing mobs slower. This change is not PERFECTLY in line with that but it is like that we will be killing mobs 15%-30% slower depending on how much the casting speed nerf actually is.

hey, if the .7 of live currently on Kaladim is too fast for you and the 1.0 of Varsoon is too fast.

There are 3 really great options that you can do that are two clicks each.

Right click exp bar and click turn off quest exp.
    Right click exp bar and click turn off combat exp.(mob kills).

When exp is too slow, just two clicks to turn each back on.

Does this reasoning and option not solve your problem? why not? I'm seriously curious.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  6. Kurth Member

If it was an XP slider rather than a binary on/off it might, but there's a difference between walking and sprinting then sitting even if you cover the same distance over the same period of time.
    Jadefox2 likes this.
  7. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

How dare you suggest that the players of this game take control of their own gameplay. That's completely unacceptable and you're going to get flamed for voicing such a reasonable opinion.
    Zenji and Mizgamer62 like this.
  8. Revvix Well-Known Member

I'm not taking a side anymore because I don't think it's worth arguing over, but since I think there's a genuine question here I'd like to try and explain the other point of view.

I don't think the majority of people are concerned about their own personal ability to control their exp gain. Your options above, that have been repeated 50x in this thread, cover that. However, it is a clunky solution at best. Maybe 1% of people will actually go through the trouble of locking and unlocking their xp bar all the time. I expect the more common solution will be to mentor another group member instead.

I believe the main concern being expressed is the big picture point of view of the entire server population moving through levels so fast that it's not in the best interest of the server as a whole. There's fear that PUGs will rush through heroic dungeons so fast that there won't be any chance to relive and enjoy the content. Instead of a game with many open areas, quests, and dungeons across many levels, the game will instead feel like a much smaller game that only cares about the 10% of the content containing the level 50 zones. Instead of 3-4 groups in FG, Varsoon, Runnyeye, etc. grinding levels at all times of the day, there might be one group who will only stay for an hour and then move on. This is the fear - not necessarily the reality.

People don't want to start up an alt during month #2 and find that all the low level zones are empty because everyone's entire account is 50 already and everyone is just sitting around waiting for Icy Dig to reset. There's also a concern that new players to EQ2, or long time returning players will be turned off by the extreme speed at which levels and new abilities will be thrown at them. Feeling like you've earned a level up is a genuine dopamine moment for players new to an MMORPG. If you get 3 per hour in a casual group, it doesn't feel special anymore.

At this point I'm in the middle of both camps. I personally want to level fast because I've done the content a ton of times already. I don't need to see all of FG for the 200th time. However, I also want the server population to be healthy and new players to have a good experience without them having to learn how to manually nerf their own xp gain via UI settings. Since, for the most part, only the most hardcore long-term players are on these forums, I don't trust the opinions of the hivemind here in this thread. All I can personally draw from is my past experiences from Kaladim. I know for a fact that multiple casual/new players I know personally really disliked how fast the xp was. For them, the idea that people got to 1-50 in 2 days and 50-60 in a few hours was extremely disappointing and dumb. They wanted a more slow-paced server culture where reaching max level had more meaning.

I wish the devs picked a happy medium between both camps but it seems like this time around we'll be going full-speed towards max level. I don't personally think the item nerfs will change anything. Players will still mass pull and AoE everything. The mob respawn rates are what control xp/hour in contested areas. For better or worse, as soon as the first SK reaches 50, everyone in their guild will be 50 within 24 hours.
    Pharliquin, Turkish and Jadefox2 like this.
  9. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Exactly. That is why I keep saying the rate of xp or item nerfs as you mentioned will not dictate or control how quickly people choose to progress through the content.
  10. Smashey Well-Known Member

Most of the previous TLE servers have had dynamic XP ranges when a new expansion unlocked. Why are people talking as if this server could not adept the same approach? Its like EQ2 players have selective memory or only use the talking point that support their own narrative instead of listening and keep part of the information we have out of the conversation lol.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  11. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Exactly.

Its up to the player to decide what is fun and what isn't.

It is also up to the player to decide how fast or slow they want to progress through the content.

It doesn't matter what other parameters exist.

That is all that I and others have been saying.
  12. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

Are you talking about when KoS comes out and with it AAs, where you can set the slider to convert a % of xp gained into AAs?
  13. Jadefox2 Active Member

Personally, I would like to have the slider from the get-go.

XP On/Off is just so clunky.
  14. Smashey Well-Known Member

When a new expansion launched, they would change the XP modifier in the previous expansions so you didnt have to spend the original amount of time farming XP, thus making is increasingly faster the older the content.

People completely ignore this aspect when they talk about the XP curve and how changing it would suck catching up when newer expansions unlocks
    Jadefox2 likes this.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

What you are talking about did not work out the way they intended. It made some zones absolutely worthless to try and level through. At one point we were better of mentoring in Timorous Deep than doing mid range zones.
  16. Shawson New Member

For me: I don't want Varsoon to be a ghost town so doggoned quickly after the initial release or the expansions. That is what eventually drove me away from Kaladim.

I don't know the answers, but I just know I don't want to log in after week two (or ONE) and find a majority of the player base is 'done' and aren't playing anymore until it's time for the next expansion.

Anything that encourages that, I don't like/want. But that's just me. I can only control my own game play and style.
  17. Venser Active Member

The only untrue statement, it's the opposite for the most part.
    Zebaz likes this.
  18. Attaboy(Dimble_Unrest) New Member

IN MY OPINION:

We play TLEs in large part for the nostalgia and for the population it brings (MMO). Live XP rates directly take away from both of those.

At the start of a TLE we have the greatest numbers of players that typically span throughout all tiers and it's most closely related to how it was originally with people LFG, running instances, hanging out, etc. We don't need boosted XP rates during this time because we can find groups, run instances, and quest easier at this time, which is faster than the alternative which is soloing, and the majority of the player base is within these tiers.

As a TLE progresses, whether it is towards the end of Vanilla or an expac, the majority of playerbase is at level cap, which makes the earlier tiers "empty" and is basically utilized just for people getting alts leveled. This is where you need double xp weekends or to permanently boost xp rate by a percentage. This allows people to get alts leveled and/or new players to catch up to the majority of the player-base easier.

Now I don't want this to be confused with "We need OG XP rates and debt". If you played OG vanilla, you'll remember it was like 5% xp/hour from 49-50. No one wants that level of grind again for a TLE. What I do think would be beneficial would be to lower the XP rate substantially from live (for the beginning of a TLE), and then raise it incrementally as the TLE ages, you can even add in a double xp weekend or two during vanilla to help out extreme casual players or the hardcore players already on alts. This also has the direct benefit of people not clearing all content in the first week and either quitting due to lack of content half way through an expac or being extremely toxic and pinging devs for faster expacs/complaining about not enough content.

*AGAIN, THE ABOVE IS MY OPINION.*
    adaria likes this.
  19. Smashey Well-Known Member

20. Dude Well-Known Member

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...oon-tle-server-faq.604595/page-7#post-6691532