Upcoming Housing Improvements!

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Cloudrat Guest

Velo@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    There is a long list of purposes for housing and I am sorry you apparently missed some content along the way. Take some time to find out what is out there.
  2. ARCHIVED-Maisland Guest

Senya wrote:
    The housing (and other features that many consider "fluff") are also my main reasons for playing this game. I have the greatest admiration for those who are good enough at decorating to have their homes featured on web pages. I do what I can and am pleased by the results, but I also realize that I am not in the same league as those who win prizes in contests with their homes.
    That said, here is a short compilation (in no particular order) of what would be cool housing features based on both my own thoughts and what various people have posted in this thread:
    • Automatically give all alts trustee status for all homes on the account.
    • An "Access Trustee" option added to the right click on housing doors which will bring up a list of only those houses at that address for which you have trustee status. If there is only one such house, then it would skip directly to that house with no list to choose from.
    • The ability to place a transportation object in houses where the owner has trustee status which will permit access to the prestige home of the owner of the object.
    • The ability to name our houses.
    • A right click option that allows people to access the homes of guild mates from the portal to member housing in a guild hall.
    • Housing access objects placed in locations other than Freeport or Qeynos.
    Thoughts on and additions to the list are welcome.
  3. ARCHIVED-ravendruid42 Guest

Zarandar@Oasis wrote:
    These, very much, please! Especialy the Portal to member housing funcionality. The main reason our guild bought one was because we thought that's what it already did. We were all rather disappointed to discover that it only allowed you to go to your own home. I woul dbe extremely haapy, though if even any two items on this list came with the next GU.
  4. ARCHIVED-KindredHeart Guest

I agree with other posters about:
    • Need for guild hall amenity to allow easy transit to any other guild member's house.
    • Additional houses SHOULD NOT equal additional broker spaces.
    • Additional houses SHOULD provide additional house vault and moving crate space. (<--- PRETTY PLEASE)
    • Give the house something it does for you, some benefit to being in it or doing something with it. I liked one player's suggestion for having it provide a small vitality rebuild, but see little this would do for max level characters still working on AA. But I think that was on the right line of thought. Something not earth shattering, but nice to have :)
    And, if we're going to get the ability to own as many homes as we want these I think are going to be essential to managing them:
    • Ability to see a listing of all houses you own
    • Ability to pay rent on all of them via one interface
    • Ability to retrieve an item from any house via one interface
    • Search for item capability across all houses - cause goodness knows I'll forget which house I put X item in.
    Thanks,
  5. ARCHIVED-Curiel Guest

One poster here mentioned automaticaly having all alts on an account as trustees. I don't want others who are trustees of my houses to see every alt I have via the trustee tab in the /house window. It wouldn't be hard to figure out who are my alts and who are mutual friends. I like logging in and being alone sometimes. So no automatic alt trustee function for me please.
    Besides, I don't think that's necessary since you can go in and very easily make which ever alts you want trustees.
  6. ARCHIVED-SnoesieQ Guest

Sooo, I must have missed: How much SC will each extra house slot cost? Will it be per character or per account?
  7. ARCHIVED-agovu Guest

Cloudrat wrote:
    Please inform me then.

Until they have amenities, their worthless, except to the few that "decorate" their cute little pointless houses.
  8. ARCHIVED-Curiel Guest

It has a "point" for other players though. I can respect that for some players enjoyment of the game does not come from decorating houses. But it does give enjoyment to others. Just because housing doesn't add uber stats to your character for raiding or give you level 90 guild hall amenities doesn't make it "pointless" for those who enjoy that aspect of the game. It's a game after all and everyone has a different way of enjoying it.
  9. ARCHIVED-SnoesieQ Guest

How very shaker of you.

.... it is all pixels on a screen, you know. Some like decorating houses, others collect raid gear to play barbies with. One is not more real than the other.
  10. ARCHIVED-Maisland Guest

Curiel wrote:
    Yes, but it is time consuming and a bother if you have a lot of alts (I have 15 now and expect to make more). Variations could be:
    • Alts have trustee status but are not listed.
    • A check box to enable/disable the function.
    • A check box to hide/show access granted.
    • Other ideas anyone?
    Edit: I have to ask, if you don't trust them to that point, why are they listed as trustees and not just as friends?
  11. ARCHIVED-Magnamundian Guest

Zarandar@Oasis wrote:
    As well as as the current <SET> button (or whatever it's called, I'm going from memory here) have a <SET Account> button.
    So if I add one of my characters and click <SET Account> all characters sharing an account with that character are given the access, in the window it can simply say [character name] (Account) or something similar, rather than listing all the characters (besides which, if you take the add all characters approach then what happens when I roll an alt, does the system automatically check all housing to see if the alt needs adding? Simply flagging the account sounds easier). Sounds like a minimal addition to the interface rather than multiple check boxes.

Somebody else mentioned adding extra vitality when in a house, I think these sorts of changes are very unlikely as it would result in a large scale increase in the use of housing instances by people who currently don't use them too often, that will put extra strain on the servers whereas allowing those of us who use our houses to own multiple houses won't since we still can't be in more than one house at a time.
  12. ARCHIVED-Magnamundian Guest

They -can- have amenities... they just aren't listed as such. The fact that you don't know this shows how little you have looked at how houses work and house items.
    There are numerous house items that offer transport to various zones around norrath, you can place all the tradeskill stations in a house, you can have a house version of the crafting supplies crate, there are scrolls that summon tradeskill writ givers, there are house items that offer buffs if you click on them...etc etc
    Basically it sounds like you have no clue about housing in much the way that some decorators would have no clue about raiding. Imagine somebody blundering into a raid thread and saying that surely doing the same zone over and over again is pointless - and you'll have an idea how your post just came over.
  13. ARCHIVED-Reality Guest

Zarandar@Oasis wrote:
    How about having a different setting for those on the same account? For instance not having trustee access for alts but having an automatic family/heirloom/relative access? That way, trustee remains something you grant to a friend or guildie and all your alts have a seperate but private access set?
    Just a thought...
    ~ L ~
  14. ARCHIVED-Annakari Guest

I love the housing, and if there was not housing I would not playing. I want to decorate and craft and questing is ok - I think PVP is annoying, I think raiding is overrated, and since I have had accounts since the first days of Kunark in old EQ, I can assure you, I have done way too much of all of it (and do not get me started about other games, we have played and own accounts on literally dozens and dozens of MMORPGS).

So, I think the housing has to say, but I wanted to add that I second the motion for account access to all the houses. I was decorating yesterday and went to dump all of the extra stuff on Annakari to Jescha's house - and found out I never have set up her house for all my toons, do you know how much work that is when I cannot recall if Raaza is two "a"s and one "z" or two "z"s and one "a"? At any rate, heirloom access - family access, would be endlessly perfect. I would hug everyone for that.
    That and getting my guild hall in a few days or so, and I won't leave the game again (as long as there is NO more talk about taking away all my stuff for some "bright" idea of a free-to-play-to make all the old timers pay for everything they have earned again... do you know I have paid lifetimes on STO, LotR and Champions, and such, which were less than half of what I have paid for this game? LotR went free-to-play, we got grandfathered in for all the money we paid - on EVERYTHING). *sigh, don't get me started...
    Keep the housing, keep the very cool guild halls, keep adding more stuff for me to put in my houses, and new quests and crafting, and I stay and forget that other things in the world are cheaper (except alcohol, that is more expensive).

LOL
  15. ARCHIVED-SIERRYA Guest

Magnamundian wrote:
    Well now you have been told about all the stuff you have been too busy raiding to notice! One more thing about the pictures. From my home I can port directly to places I could never get to in one click from my GH.Don't forget about the aa mirror. yes it is not as vital as it was when it came into the game but it is nice on many classes to have a solo set up and a group set up, especially healers!!

Also us "FEW" decorators prob surpass the number of "hard-core" raiders in the game. By hardcore I am talking about the mandaroty 5 days + a week raiding and cleared 80%+ of content in an expansion before the next comes out. Also unlike hard core raiders we help eachother out when one has a problem figuring something out. Don't get me wrong I love to raid but since I started having health issues a year ago I can not sit thru a raid anymore without getting up to move around. If not for decorating I would have left the game entirely. So please do not diss a part of the game just because you hate it, I hate PVP with a passion but if you like more power to you I will not tell them to take away battlgrounds just because I don't go there. If you never go into you home it is your loss.
  16. ARCHIVED-Curiel Guest

Just so long as it's optional or has optional settings and not automatic. I'm okay with it.
    But really, who's fault is it if you can't spell your alts name? /friendly poke
    In any case, I'm in the other camp that says it's really not that hard to go in and add your alts to your houses. It's not like we don't have the option. Type /house, Access Tab, Type name, select trustee, click "set access", done.
    I guess there's other things I'd like the devs to work on than an option we already have. I'm not against the ease of use factor in the core suggestion just so long as mentioned above that it has options instead of an all or nothing trustee flag for your alts.
    And for the poster who asked me a question. It has nothing to do with trust. Two reasons:

1. I like being alone sometimes and not feeling obligated to group just because someone I know is on. As a guild leader, often you just need a little personal space and if folks know all your alts they *will* send you tells.
    2. I like it when I randomly encounter someone I know as an alt and roleplaying when they don't know it's the same player. It's the genuine, more organic RP you get from the interaction when they don't know its their good buddy "Bob". That doesn't happen very often, but it's neat when it does. If you're not a RPer, you may not relate to this as an aspect of the game that appeals to me and others, but its there. If my friends knew my alts, I'd lose that part of the game.
  17. ARCHIVED-Freef Guest

Senya wrote:
    Woah! That is amazing! I am trying to figure out how the spherical roofs were made.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rill Guest

I'd like to know how all that was accomplished. I have been around this game since launch and totally under the impression that you had one instance home and you could decorate it with "decor" items only and you had to buy a house skin and that was it. If you can "build" a house like that how do you do it? Also, will we ever be able to drop what ever we want in our house...it is our storange space after all and if I wanna drop feline meat or something stupid in there shouldn't I be allowed to?
  19. ARCHIVED-Filly67 Guest

Doesn't seem to be a need to inform you, you have made up your mind and clearly this upcoming option is of no interest to you which is fine. I enjoy most aspects of the game and like my toons to be very well rounded but I draw the line at raiding. I have seen too much of the hard core raiding guilds (first hand) and no thank you. The tradeskill/decorating community is kind and giving. Most do enjoy other aspects of the game and will assist in those areas too.
  20. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Rill wrote:
    It was done in the Halas home using teleporter pads (came from a few live events in the past, and we'll probably see them again in the future) to travel out to the dock area you can see from the standard home's deck. The structure is made from standard items - cobblestone squares, icy tiles, pillars, hitching posts, Freeport doors, and dividers for the roof. The roof was made using the layout editor (you can get this from the homeshow forums). Takes a bit of practice to use (and you CAN make basic houses without it!), but you can make all sorts of things when you get the hang of it. There are also tutorials in the forums for it.

I suggest visiting the house (address is in the linked thread) if you can, so you can better see how it's being done. :) There are several other breakout homes of all sorts of styles and themes you can look though, as well.