Unscheduled Server Downtime October 7, 2014

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Oct 7, 2014.

1. LordTiras Well-Known Member

As I mentioned though, that would cost 18 hours of research time on anything currently researching, as the timers have to be stopped to prevent it from proceeding to success. As I said, they could give potions out instead to make up for it, but that's not much of a better solution. It keeps the servers running but prevents a component of the game from functioning. Also we don't know what happens if a player logs in with a success pending - does that also wipe them without accepting it?
    Sweetling and Stealthmode like this.
  2. Elivo New Member

I just want AB to come back up!!!
    Milliebii and Stealthmode like this.
  3. Taysa Well-Known Member

And that's not at all critical. Unless there's an exploit they aren't telling us about, this isn't a critical update. This could've waited until tomorrow.

I keep seeing you throw up the whole "18 hours of research" when all the research entails is clicking one button and forgetting about it until you see obnoxious text on your screen. You're acting as if players would lose hours upon hours of work, when that isn't the case at all. It's a button that you click once. They could've waited to click that button tomorrow.

By the way, AB is still down. So yea.
  4. Swanga Member

Well there goes my raid night.
  5. Taysa Well-Known Member

They finally fed the AB hamsters.
    Stealthmode likes this.
  6. Milliebii Well-Known Member

So what about a data corruption issue that would have involved a roll back?? Still want them to wait until tomorrow?

There are a lot of things that make a patch urgent, not just exploits.
  7. Epsilon New Member

The message saying they were getting ready to take down the servers for maintenance made a run through Nexus (heroic) pretty fun. Made it feel like the place was getting ready to self destruct especially when you hit that 2 minute warning and your on the last named mob....good times :)
    Awkk and Stealthmode like this.
  8. That guy. Well-Known Member

Or maybe SOE, unlike some raiders who somehow *think* they are of higher importance than the real majority of the playerbase, operates in the real world where raiders are not the majority of the playerbase and therefore doesn't cater to their whims? Na, couldn't be that..
    Feylone likes this.
  9. Alenna Well-Known Member

no they announced it in game all day with an ingame message
  10. mitsybitsy Member

any idea when EU servers might get the update ?
  11. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Really?
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...rch-temporarily-disabled.551822/#post-6110529

Looks to me like they announced it at 10:43 a.m. PDT. Again I say the complexity of the patch today should have been clue enough that things would have funky today (especially since they put it off for a week already), the complications with the actual patch time, and finally this more than timely announcement SHOULD have made a reasonable person (or people) think that maybe missing a raid today would be less infuriating than getting interrupted. But as I said nothing important on the login screen. It's not SoE's fault that anyone thought they would wait until 10 PM PDT to patch. After all why should they go home from work when YOU want to raid, especially after promising to come up with a fix and patch it today, AND telling you that is what was going to happen way, way, way, WAY in advance of any US raid time.
  12. Ahupu Well-Known Member

For the same reason that, when the new xpac comes out, people's first question will be, "How do you get to the new lands?", or "Where does the signature quest start?" and everyone in general chat will have to say, "Umm you got a letter in the mail." "Oh that? I deleted that. Was it important?" Because people think that everything that pops up on the screen is unimportant, that nothing important is in on the log in screen, and that patch notes are not worth reading.

They did not take the time to read about the issues today, did not care to understand how it might affect them, and ignored the big yellow message that popped up each time they switched characters. They are the same people that get upset when you tell them in general chat that they can look it up on the wiki saying, "I don't want to read all that, can't someone tell me what to do?" The reason however would be considered insulting, and would get this post pulled. So ujinga will have to suffice. ;)
    Dulcenia, Kayahni and LordTiras like this.
  13. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Are you referring to this https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/soe-maintenance-notice-october-8-2014.551755/?

The thing that specifically is NOT a game patch? Where (if I am reading correctly) if you are in game you will stay, but if you log over you will be booted? And if the answer to that is yes then I have another question. Do all raiders have problems with reading comprehension?
    Feylone and Kayahni like this.
  14. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

The reason research was suspended was due to a bug. Anyone who paid to upgrade spells/CAs to GM (bet some raiders did that before research was locked out) then logged off ended up with the upgraded spells/CAs reset to APPRENTICE. Of course something like that wouldn't affect a raid whatsoever, so the fix would be not be critical.
    LordTiras likes this.
  15. Atan Well-Known Member

When I play asian pacific games, I do not get upset when they almost always patch during my prime play times, as its to be expected based upon the location of the company and their primary user base.

So yes, I don't get up in arms about the patch times to European servers.
  16. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

I'd like to take this opportunity as a citizen of AB to say the following: Now y'all know how we feel! :p

That said, this has been a remarkably good year for AB. This is the FIRST real case of server instability since the major updates way back in 2009 up to 2013. We have suffered from Immigration, Merges, Major Update Flubbs, The Great Broker Crash, Housing Foreclosure, etc etc. And finally...AB is the one telling people to "chill the junk down" and "This is just normal post-update procedure". One whole year of no stability issues on AB. We knew it had to end; it was only a question of WHEN.

So thank you, SoE for making the other servers feel our pain...:p
    Stealthmode likes this.
  17. Luanne Active Member

If only they fixed PVP issues this fast..