understanding the Channeler

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Castles, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Tyman Active Member

Quickened Regeneration, Essence Weave are the 2 pet heals I use most of the time. Along with Siphoned Protection as a nice danger zone button for basically a full heal and a 500k + ward. I always keep the extra group cure and Interpose Redirect on the bar, and everything else rotates around based on the fight.

What I actually do to heal a group/OT will be different because im 95 but, I always keep Truespirit Rift running which comes from left prestige, that gives no recast to Healing Barrage 1 time. ST intercept goes on the tank 9/10 unless there is a ticking aoe or something constantly damaging the group. Have the group heal and Vector of Life, I always spam them if they are up and needed, healing arrow/barrage whenever they are off cd. Always try and keep the pet health above 75% Pop Max protection and spam heal the pet if the tank is starting to spike damage. Other than that, its basically just dps.

Keep the pet healed, only have a couple heals so rotate and spam them if needed.
    Dont rely on Healing arrow/barrage to heal the tank in a raid
    Combine the Pet stoneskin and Max protection on incoming nukes to save the take and not make your life a pain absorbing it.

Feel free to message me about anything Tymann on Freeport.
    Mindsway and The Jones like this.
  2. Castles Active Member

nice info, thanks. for the most part i have been doing this rotation but still find tanks hard to keep up. i was hoping that i could pump out more dps that would boost the healing, but find that my inq healed and nuked better than my chan does. i have quest gear but have selected gear with potency and crit bonus, with spell cast speed when avail. i do fine soloing while healing the SK merc, maybe the tanks are just not doing their job....

maybe my placement or use of the pet is the problem. i target the mob the tank is on, but sometimes it seems they don't get the heals.
  3. Tyman Active Member

Its difficult to tell unless you have ACT running but if you don't seem to be intercepting any damage, kill the pet , re log and re summon it. I have noticed that in a few zones in particular the pet gets a little wonky and stops intercepting damage.

And coming from a raid standpoint a channeled is able to throw out some of the largest raw hps which honestly means nothing. They are great at stopping a tank from spiking damage but have very very few utility and buffs that the other healers get. And in raid I normally out heal the clerics, but the inquisitor out parses me 9 times out of 10.

Also it's silly to say, but make sure when you are healing a tank that you have your single target intercept on the tank and not on yourself or someone else, it's easier to do that than you would expect.
  4. The Jones Active Member

In my experience you don't need to kill the construct pet, but rather back him off and move around for a second, as line of sight is not in a good place in this game and will affect the intercept.
  5. Tyman Active Member

That does work, but some zones are weird, like labs in ToV maybe it's the portals or whatever but the last fight my intercepts never work and that's just a flat room, until I relog.
  6. The Jones Active Member

These are the reasons I moved gear off of my channeler and to my druids (aside from druids just being awesome). If the floor is unstable by .0001 meters it seems to prevent you from playing your class. Still to this day I don't understand why it's hard to change the system to calculate line of sight from the head rather than feet. At least calculate it from the knees.. SOE what up?
  7. Castles Active Member

LOS looks like part of my problem. backoff and send it in again seems to fix the problem, just sucks it happens a lot for me. pet control for healing is problematic, in close places or small places things get tricky. the pet is too big, in my face often, and just sounds like a mud puddle.

as a healer, i have played cleric EQ1/RoK(12 years) and Inq for a few years in EQ2, i find that keeping a pet and/or player "topped off" on health is a total waste of time and mana. having this ingrained in my healing style, it is hard for me to keep the construct "topped off." i think there maybe a bug/problem with the visuals for the D meter also. lag and/or lack of numbers, make it hard to know how healing is being degraded by health level. i would like a display that tells me what percentage of heal is being lost at any given level of construct health so i can make a triage call in battle. just spamming the heal construct spells is just silly!

don't get me started on Barrage, what a goofy spell!
  8. Andy1 Active Member

On fights with a lot of moving I would just keep the construct on passive, it still intercepts damage. Seriously though if you're not going to keep the construct topped off or over 75%, you're only hurting yourself and making it harder to heal. Not sure where people get the idea that channelers are a secondary healing class, since there is no such thing in this game. A pally is about the only class that comes close to being one.
  9. Castles Active Member

keeping the construct topped-off helps. gear with +casting speed helps dps. L80/300AA helps too.
  10. Castles Active Member

just made L85/305AA and seem to be healing in groups much better now. i also bought the Fae combat pet illusion petamorph item and seem to have better pet healing and LOS. it paths better too and is quiet! Stony may look cool but sounds strange IMO and has pathing and LOS issues i have seen. would be nice to have a call pet spell but the fae keeps up much better so it makes a nice work-around. starting to enjoy the Channeler, but it has been interesting getting to this point.
  11. Gilasil Active Member

I was getting really bored with ToV so I made a second channeler. As it's my second I don't care if it ever hits 95.

I think I can now definately say that channeler starts our really weak and gradually gets better. If you're in your 20s or low 30s and wondering how this class can ever work just stick it out, work on level, gear and AAs and it'll get better. You won't have to wait until 95 to see things improve.

In my mid 40s I had no trouble solo healing a full group in SolRo. However, I was really happy to see 50 when I got two important conduits -- a good single target HOT, and a fast casting group cure. By continuing to work on cast speed, potency, and critical bonus, I think I now have a nice little channeler for the 50s who's really fun and can do his job. Truespirit rift and the heavy hitting damage conduits we get later are nice but they're not essential. Once I hit 50 I had the basic tools I needed to do my job, and I could pretty much do it somewhat earlier. However, except for the things I got at 50, the change was gradual -- no sudden revelations.

Again I'd stress that we do better if we can concentrate our interception on the tank. Put our good single target interception on him. Discourage other groupmates from ripping aggro. We're really good at keeping the tank up with secondary healing for everyone else. Not so good at keeping an entire group of aggro ripping goofballs up who think wizards can tank.
  12. Ciroe Active Member

I hate to bash on people that are having trouble, but if you are having that much trouble, and think you cannot solo heal, then you are doing something wrong.

I can solo heal as easily as any other healer. In fact, in the easier TOV zones, I can solo heal with my eyes closed, with ZERO effort.

Get your pet essences, keep your pet health in the green, run truespirit rift, AA Spec correctly, and you will get there.

It is true we have no single target direct heals... but we DO NOT NEED THEM, we have three heals that we can rotate with no break that heal the GROUP as well as any direct heal does. I let my pet do the heavy lifting, and when i NEED to heal i just rotate my three heals (Arrow, group heal, Vector)... i am always running truespirit rift, so every time i fire Healing Barrage, i can fire it again immediately if i need to.

Keep your pet green, i run Construct Regeneration in slot one ALWAYS UP, and i use Essence Weave in slot two to top pet off as needed. I Also ALWAYS run Interpose Redirect.

Channelers do not play like any other healer, they are a completely different monster. You need to get in there, get dirty, and LEARN YOUR CLASS. When i started mine i sucked, horribly, but i learned, made a bunch of tweaks, talked to other channelers in game i saw that weren't having the difficulties i was having, and changed my play-style, spec, gear based on their suggestions (Potency is your friend).

Feel free to look me up on EQ2U (Cyroe on Antonia Bayle) for my current AA specs, they are named appropriately.

If you send me an in game message, i am always willing to help out.
  13. Gilasil Active Member

We are not talking about a level 95 here. The op was playing a low level channeler at the time of the post. A few posts down he mentioned he was 32 and may have been even lower when the first post was made. No truespirit rift, no vector of life, very few conduits. Probably no gear with potency, critical bonus, or cast speed. The cast speed of the healing spells in that context IS agonizingly slow. I'd hate to be relying on that when someone is in desperate need of healing but, other then the emergency group heal with a HUGE dissonance cost, that's all that's available at that level.

I'll stick by what I said earlier -- channelers start out weak and get better as they level. At 95 they're pretty good.

I agree the op needs to know how to use the construct. I think everyone agrees on that. I'm sure he learned.

The person to yell "learn your class" at is the one who sucks and doesn't care. This person obviously cares. If he didn't care he wouldn't have posted. The fact that he obviously cares means that if he sticks with it he'll get the AA, gear, and knowledge to be good. Probably is by now.

Seeing as how the initial post was in January he could be a raid geared 95 by now.
  14. Ciroe Active Member

Everything you said is valid.

I guess my post wasn't so much directed at the OP, but rather the others in this thread that say things like I guess ill go play something else, or I cant heal like my other healer, or Channelers suck and and broken etc.

But you are probably correct in saying they are under powered pre 80, pre 90. Ill be honest, i Powerleveld myself (i have two accounts) to 90, then i forced myself to drop the PL, and group in Skyshrine and learn the class. I really didnt touch the channeler until lvl 90, so you are most likely correct.
  15. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Channelers do get a direct single target heal: Bounty of the Virtuous from the Splitpaw Saga quest line. It's a standard-quality small heal with a chance to refund its power cost.
  16. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

Why channelers don't get Minor Healing btw ? (Every other healer class gets that spell) It even says under spells we supposed to get it at lvl 3, in EQ2U under spells.
  17. jordash Member

18. Ciroe Active Member

Really there are only two essences that are important. I forget what they are called, but their effects are: Improves constructs intercept, and Heals construct for 1% (or maybe 0.5% cant remember) per every so and so seconds.

The others are so insignificant they don't matter... but i use the AE heal, and whats the other one... hmm.... i forge the 4th one lol... really tho, the other two are insignificant.. just make sure you get the passive pet heal and the increase intercept damage ones.
  19. Tajar Well-Known Member

I use

Reptile - heals pet for .5% every 6 secs
    Feline - Increases healing received by 3% (it doesn't specify but I assume this is on the pet)
    Aquatic for mini group heals, but swap this out for dps ones if I'm in DPS stance.
    Dire - for the boost to intercept.
  20. Ciroe Active Member

That's the exact setup i run as well.