This Takes the Cake

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sheene, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Sheene Member

I'm still furious and I logged off an hour ago.

I was lucky enough to win a roll for the "Advanced Prismatic Adornment Disloger" a fine device for a maxed out tinkerer who has his bag full of the machines he's made to do the odd chore and here was another that could return all his adornments to him big and small. Of course there were drawbacks: you lose the item the adornments are in, in the sense that they become appearance items and can't be transmuted. In addition, it takes two frozen manas, two infusions of ice, and a tungsten ore to make it but the advantage over two adornment dislogers on sale at any tinker vendor is that this one returns the white adornments as well.

Now, at the tinker vendor, you can buy tinkering recipe for the "Basic Trichomatic Adornment Disloger" - It only takes a banyan root to create but the downside is that you get one of your adornments and it can be a red, yellow, or green adornment. You can also buy the recipe for the "Advanced Trichomatic Adornment Disloger" - it costs a banyan root and a tungsten ore to create but its advantage is that it returns all yellow, red and green adornments on the item. You lose the Item as you do with all of them but you also lose the white adornments as you do on the basic model.

But I had the prismatic recipe and the blurb when you create it goes like this:

"Advanced Prismatic Adornment Disloger"

"Using this item on an item that has adornments will destroy the item and return all of the adornments to you. Using this item with an appearance will return an appearance-only item."

"Fabled"

Nowhere does it say that the disloger will be consumed in the process!!! Nowhere does it say "HA HA Sucker!! You just blew two frozen manna, two infusions of ice and a tungsten ore to get two etherial adornments!!! You nasty thieves!!! And, what's the point? If I wanted the really good yellow or red adornments that are simply not appropriate for my class in won loot but better for an alt or if I want to save a leveled green adornment the vendor bought advanced disloger at a cost of two 'not-so rare' rares would be fine. But this hard won looted allegedly superior disloger is good for what? With two frozen mana, I can make two superior astral adornments of my choosing. I didn't win anything and by not informing me very clearly like "THIS DISLOGER WILL BE CONSUMED IN THE PROCESS" you have cheated me.

Do you think I'd be making the repair bot or "Call of the tinkerer" if they were consumed in the process? This isn't fun. It's mean spirited, nasty and leaves me feeling angry and upset. How dare you!
  2. Mathrim Active Member

Ummm...it's not really rocket science. If the item wasn't consumed and it was a permanent FULL undadorner, then there would be ZERO reason to ever make adornments for currently adorned toons again. Each toon would have their own Advanced Dislodger to swap adorns to new gear and the adornment market would be destroyed. Not sure how you even remotely think this would be acceptable.....

The point of the Advanced Prismatic Dislodger is that you can pull your white Fabled adornments AND your Yellow/Red/Green adornments off all in 1 shot. You still end up using less components to do this than you would if you had to re-make the 2 fabled whites and use the Advanced Trichromatic to pull the red/yellow/greens off.

It has a pupose and it fills the need to pull white FABLED's off at the same time as the rest. If you aren't using 91+ white fabled's, then you shouldn't even be touching this dislodger.
  3. Erszebeth Active Member

I'm with mathrim on this....I always assume things are going to be consumed, and am happily surprised if they aren't. This is sony, they don't give out cool **** like that, and if they did it would cost 50+ rares a couple dozen manas+infusions and a few hundred fuel, making it too expensive to even bother with in the first place.
  4. Guiscard Active Member

You are MISSING THE POINT - they should tell you the adorner will be consumed. That is an error on the part of SOE -- they did NOT fully describe the item and they should. If it is going to be destroyed then they should say so - it should NEVER come as a nasty surprise after you have spent the mats making the thing. The OP is right he was cheated and he should put in a bug report and ask for a refund on MATs.
  5. Mathrim Active Member

I just don't get how someone thinks an item that requires 2 manas, some infusions, and 1 tungsten would be good enough to make a PERMANENT until the end of time full unadorner.

Frankly, even the thought of a permanent full unadorner even if it cost 100 mana's and 100 tungstens, etc...is still ridiculous as it would have the potential of destroying the entire adorning market in the future.
    Kisy likes this.
  6. Guiscard Active Member

Regard less of that SOE has an obligation to fully state that the adorner will be destroyed. Failing to do so is a form of cheating the player.
  7. Erszebeth Active Member

Honestly...if your a maxed out tinkerer...you already know that anything thats permanent, and useful, has a ridiculous cost to it. Most crafters in general know that, repair bot, when it came out was around 5-8pp to make <quite a chunk of change for the vast majority of players> even if you harvested the rares yourself. Wormhole generators aren't cheap either, average 5 rares+whatever else, that alone should tell you, 2 manas....NOT that many rares, not permanent. Even so...to get that upset over it, its a game....turn your comp off for a few days, get some fresh air, explore the world, and chill.
  8. Guiscard Active Member

Why should you have to "infer" something based on the past? Are you saying SOE has not obligation to the player to FULLY Describe the item and what will happen when you use it? If you want to a Best Buy and bought a Laptop which stopped functioning after 1 use and then were told that it was workiing as planned -- you would demand your money back and sue. Why should SOE get away with sloppy habits - this is not away to keep subscribers playing the game - it is just laziness on SOE's part and the failure of a producer to insist on high standards and making sure the players are able to make informed decisions.
  9. Mathrim Active Member

You call it cheating the player. I call it not babying them and holding their hand every second of the game. I expect most people to have a modicum of commen sense and realize that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....
    Kisy and Cearra like this.
  10. Erszebeth Active Member

Seriously....if THIS is what takes the cake...you haven't been around for very long, because its pretty mediocre on the eq2 timeline, and you should just take your gaming elsewhere because your gonna give yourself a coronary over SOE's handling of EQ2.
    Cloudrat likes this.
  11. Sheene Member

There are two issues here.

The first issue is deception and I'm trying to work out if it is deliberate or just incompetence. By telling people that they are going to lose the item that the adornments are in they forground that as the downside but that's not the downside because the loss they highlight is an unwanted fabled or legendary piece of gear that is going to return at the very most 1 fronzen mana if it is transmuted and more often an infusion and either could well be of a lower tier.

The real loss is the disloger itself that costs two frozen mana. That's the downside! Who cares about the Level 80 something Legendary cloak the adornments were in? What players need to read is "Using this item will consume it" and then I can decide whether what I want to retrieve from that gear is worth 2 frozen mana.

The second issue involves the general stupidity of the device to begin with. It was a loot drop that everyone in the group "needed" on and I wonder how many of them will follow me in my mistake because they all thought it was a permanent device as well. Because we all need more upset people on the servers... mmmm.

So, let me answer you Mathrim because you are obviously totally insensitive to my pain.

"...there would be ZERO reason to ever make adornments currently adorned toons again. Each toon would have their own Advanced Dislodger to swap adorns to new gear and the adornment market would be destroyed. Not sure how you even remotely think this would be acceptable....."

Wrong! Sentinel's Fate came out in 2010 when the cap was raised to 90. Between then and now there have been mechanics changes that have resulted in characters 'respecing' their adornments. When DOV came out I changed out my adornments for crit chance to deal with the new crit chance debuffs. Then with the changes to adornments and gear with the Skyshrine addition along with the changes in ability caps further changes had to be made to the white adornments I had. DPS adornments for example became useless to me. While what you say makes some sense if you don't think about it the constant changes to the game mean that you have to change adornments as well.

"The point of the Advanced Prismatic Dislodger is that you can pull your white Fabled adornments AND your Yellow/Red/Green adornments off all in 1 shot. You still end up using less components to do this than you would if you had to re-make the 2 fabled whites and use the Advanced Trichromatic to pull the red/yellow/greens off."

Maybe for you but not for me. I have tradeskill prestige that returns components but even if that wasn't the case, the vendor bought dislodger costs 23 gold and the prismatic one is a heroic instance fabled loot drop. As in "the much sought after superior model" and the only benefit I see is if is if you are retrieving all tier 10 white adornments from a three white adornment slot piece of gear. I can make my own adornments and I can choose when and what I need. Its real value is nil.

"It has a pupose and it fills the need to pull white FABLED's off at the same time as the rest. If you aren't using 91+ white fabled's, then you shouldn't even be touching this dislodger."

And you get to find this out AFTER you've blown two frozen mana to get two etherial adornments and that's the part that isn't "rocket science" that seems to have escaped you somehow. Maybe you worked it out. Maybe you are smarter than I am. Maybe you only worked it out from reading this thread. I don't know. What I do know is that I and maybe hundreds of other SONY paying customers have been made to feel like idiots, fools... There I was telling my friends that I could simply lend them my 'disloger' because it didn't say "heirloom" or "No-trade" and it went into my shared bank. I tested that. Now I feel like a right banana.

And that is where the corporate incompetence comes in. What the thing does is what it does. Who cares? It's rubbish so I won't use it. But they failed to put a warning sign on it and that's where it become unforgivable.

12. Lamatu Active Member

This thread makes me have sympathy for SoE since they have to deal with BS like this.
    Wurm and Cearra like this.
  13. Sheene Member

"I expect most people to have a modicum of commen sense and realize that if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....."

What are you talking about? The "duck" analogy assumes that the object in question looks like something it is equated to. It was fabled. It was a highly desired loot drop. It looked like the repair bot. It looked like the harvesting depot. It looked like "call of the tinkerer". It cost like the repair bot, the harvesting depot and the call of the tinkerer so it quacked like those. Nowhere on the recipe does it say "This makes a CONSUMABLE item".

Fireworks, they burn up but if they cost 2 frozen mana to make then I would assume it was a machine that makes fireworks... Wouldn't you? Who is the one who lacks common sense here?
  14. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Food/Drink is consumable, btw. You're welcome.
  15. Erszebeth Active Member

a whole whopping 2 mana....thats not on par with CotT, depots, repair bot, or any other NON-consumable, the only reason it would even SEEM like it is because mana's are expensive to purchase, but it only takes 2, easily obtainable if you are a muter, and at no cost with very little time invested. I've seen the recipe, no I don't have it, and I won't pay the ridiculous sums of plat people want for it, but if I had it, I would assume, like everything, its a consumable. This game revolves around consumables, adornments, tinkered toys, ammo, food/drink, potions, etc.
    I have an adorner/muter, and a tinkerer, manas are easy to get, as are any of the other materials for adornments or the un-adorners, 2 mana's does NOT equate to 5+ rares, it barely equates to 1 rare because mana's are easier to get then rares.
  16. Mathrim Active Member

Most of your long post reply is just meh and not even worth arguing with, but since you can't seem to grasp the details, here you go.

This Advanced dislodger is intended to deal with FABLED adornments and fabled only. Theres a reason why there is a basic, and an advanced. If you are using either one of the dislodgers to pull off a non-fabled white adornment (greater/lesser) instead of just overwriting with a new one, then wow, just....wow. This shouldn't even need to be explained to anyone.

The fact that you can't grasp that saving 2 fabled white adornments with the Advanced dislodger AS WELL as getting your yellow/green/red back is less components than having to make 2 new ones is "not rocket science."

Here's a news flash for you and I'm sure most of the people that actually use the FABLE level adornments exclusively will agree, we don't swap adornments out from 1 day to the next. We pick the best in slot adornment, put it on and it stays until we get a new item and then the exact same adornment is re-crafted and put on the new item. With a permanent dislodger, we would rarely ever need another fabled adornment made.

Sure, you would need to invest in an INITIAL set of adornments for your gear and an INITIAL set for each Tier upgrade. BUT THAT WOULD BE THE END OF IT FOR THAT TIER. You WILL NEVER need another crit chance adornemnent made once you have your current set with a permanent dislodger. You WILL NEVER need to buy a new adornment when getting an upgrade. Simply use your permanent dislodger to crunch the adorns off, stick them on the new one, and move on.

If you can't understand the basics of that then there is really no point in talking to you.

As far as the looks like a duck, quacks like a duck. Please, for the love of sanity and common sense, explain to me how 2 manas, a couple of infusions, and a tungsten are ANYWHERE NEAR the cost of the components it takes to make the Mender Bot, Call of Tink, Harvest Depot at the TIME THAT THEY CAME OUT.

If it was anywhere near the same requirement you would need 5 OSMIUMS at the minimum to even relate. I really don't see how you can even logically try to make a comparison of the requirement in build components.

Quit trying to equate the rareness of the recipe blueprint and the fact that 6 people rolled need to the value of the dislodger that it makes. It's apples and oranges. The rare drop rate on the blueprint has nothing to do with the fact that the item is considered a common consumable.
    Cearra and Erszebeth like this.
  17. Guiscard Active Member

Why is it BS to insist that SOE decribe the function of an item and the results of using it? When you acquire something you expect it to function as described - if the description is wrong why it is your fault and not the manufuctuer -- in this case SOE.

They have an obligation to tell the player how the item functions and what the result will be when you use it and that includes the fact that the item itself is destroyed. Failure to do so is cheating the player -- it is a swindle, it is the actions of a con-artist.

I would file a bug report, I would complain to Custom Service and demand my mats back.
  18. Wurm Well-Known Member

Jeez dude, I've been trying to get it to drop since CoE came out... that you got that lucky and are ranting about a few mana makes me lol.
    Erszebeth likes this.
  19. Guiscard Active Member

Do you still want it now that you know the things vanishes after use?
  20. Wurm Well-Known Member

Heck yeah! Still much cheaper making one of them and getting back my red adorn my yellow adorn and my two superior white adorns to put right away on a gear upgrade. And way way cheaper making it myself than buying one off the broker.