The One Above Dot bug.

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Enigma, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Enigma Active Member

The Ethereal Expertise on this weapons does not doublecast my DoT abilites like it's suppose to it seems(soulrot/bloodcoil and vampire bats). I have tested this several times on an epic dummy.

Test 1: Normal Soulrot cast which hit's for a number of 18 times. Proc pops up and i get off a normal soulrot and the number of hits drops to 10-12 which should have been 27 hits. I lost some damage here.

Test 2: Doublecast Soulrot cast which hit's for a number of 36 times. Proc pops up and i get off a doublecast soulrot and which the number of hits should be 56 hits is now only 32 hits. Damage is lost here again.
  2. Enigma Active Member

Also this proc buff does not work for primary pets even though it applies to the pet. But it does work for the ro pet it seems.
  3. Enigma Active Member

What this proc needs to do is actually cast the spell used again. For example if i use Bloodcoil when the proc is up then it should literally cast it twice and i should see two bloodcoil icon's on my enemy.

Description of the proc : Ethereal Expertise:On any combat or spell hit this spell may cast Ethereal Expertise on the group. Lasts for 8.0 seconds. Triggers about 3.0 times per minute.
    :Instantly recasts any hostile spell used. This effect may only trigger once every 30 seconds.

This would imply that it would really cast any hostile spell twice.. not just a simple doublecast.
  4. Enigma Active Member

It's also possible that the DoT issue is not accounting for the prestige green added DoT portion from Rotting Flesh.
  5. Enigma Active Member

6. ZUES Well-Known Member

Like the Brigands "Double Up", it does not work on certain spells. Mogrim and someone else already created threads about what it will and wont do. Debuffs for example. If a debuff has damage ability it will doublecast the damage but not the debuff. It don't work on swarm pets or dots either.
  7. Estarriol New Member

Apocalypse normally yields 7 hits (with +2 ticks) - initial hit and 6 dot ticks. When there is no doublecast and the proc is up, it gives 8 hits (first hit, proc hit, 6 dot ticks). DoT ticks are not doubled by the proc. Ok, fine. Now the proc is up, and the Apoc gives a natural doublecast. With a normal weapon it would be 14 hits (initial hit and 6 dot ticks all hit twice). But when the proс is up, the first hit is doubled, proc hit is added - and then there are 6 DoT ticks, which no longer are doubled. Instead of 14 hits, now there only are 9. Toxic Assault (the big nuke with charges) doesn't get a benefit from the effect at all, since the proc is attempting to "cast" the spell when all charges are consumed and fails. The majority of lock spells are dots, and the doublecast rate in raid is usually over 50% (60% or so). So, if the dagger proc is up, it either gives me just one extra hit, comparable to dot ticks in size, or (which happens more often) gives me the same one extra hit, while stealing 6-10 dot ticks depending on the spell. This item is a failure in its current state and needs to be reworked.
  8. Estarriol New Member

This most likely happens due to the way the proc is implemented. When you cast a nuke, it recasts it, so if there was no doublecast, you get 2 hits, if the original spell was doublecast, you get 3 hits total, since proc is never doublecast. This explains the fact spells like Toxic Assault or Freezing Rain never benefit from the proc, since the proc attempts to recast the spell, but the charges are already consumed by the original cast (and you get a message that you need at least 30 or 36 charges).

With DoTs, however, the story is entirely different. The proc indeed recasts the spell, and that is why the ticks are not doubled. It essentially overwrites the original spell, so the dot ticks you see ticking on the mob are not from the original spell, but rather from this proc. When the original spell is doublecast, the first hit is doubled, and then the proc applies, striking the first dot hit, wiping the original spell and replacing it with itself (in which case the ticks are not doubled).

So one can clearly see that "Nuke" classes benefit from this proc nicely, and "DoT" classes not only benefit to a lesser extent - they are actually hurt by it, they lose their DPS. An obvious way to fix this is allowing several instances of a spell from the same caster to be ticking on a mob simultaneously, so that the proc would not wipe the original spell, but simply create an additional copy. Not sure if the game mechanic allows this, but in the current state the idea of the effect just doesn't work out.
  9. Nubek Active Member

This is still bugged. Can the devs please take a look at it? I'd love to equip mine but as a dotheavy class (Warlock) I fear I might be nerfing myself :(
  10. Eles Well-Known Member

I think Mogrim made some tests on the mage weapon, maybe he can confirm the info. It seems it hurts to the dot classes instead direct damage classes.
  11. ZUES Well-Known Member

Yup it cancels summoners stuff. This hinders more than helps mage groups if a summoner is present.
  12. Nubek Active Member

Collected some evidence in ACT, sent this in a PM to Kander as well, in case the devs missed this thread (probably not)

[IMG]
    konofo and Eles like this.
  13. Vasco Active Member

If you think about it, this is the perfect way to beta test things for Compansion 12! Look at the the bugs being reported!
  14. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Yes. Currently this effect is roughly a break-even for dot-based classes, due to the frequent negative effects it has on us.
  15. Vasco Active Member

It's collecting dust in my warlock's bag until it's fixed. :(
  16. Thundercloud Active Member

Can one of the Devs like Kander or Caith update?
  17. Veta Well-Known Member

Caith and Gninja said the dot issue was unfixable.
  18. Vasco Active Member

Soooo. Warlock and other dot class, do not touch? Well wish i knew that before i traded for this thing.
  19. Estarriol New Member

Well, if this mechanic cannot be implemented to work as intended, perhaps it is logical to admit that it was a failure and come up with something that can work properly?

BTW, the dagger screws up the Fiery Blast as well. If the proc interferes during the "recording" of Fiery Blast, it will not resolve and will not do any damage at all.
  20. Nubek Active Member

Where did they say this exactly? I can't find it.

If that is indeed the case then they should remove the effect entirely and come up with something else. Maybe a guaranteed Mythical crit on the next spell?