Take a Min and think about this DEVS

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-ParmaSniper, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Geez people with your wall of text posts.

Need to accept its unbalanced atm with assassins. I see some top rangers post their 10k+ DPS parses with pride and they are still second to the assassin. Its going to happen. A lot.

Raid buffs make a huge difference. They give you guff and not give you or some other ranger in the raid IA, you tell them NO ONE is going to get more pure damage out of IA than a ranger, player skill being equal of course. NO ONE. Any argument they give is wrong. Rangers will up the DPS more with IA than anyone else would with IA. then get yourself a bard and if they are worth their salt thay have 'don't kill the messanger' and 'fortissimo' up. Troubs can have these buffs but a dirge is preferred. These are basically minimums if you want to have a chance in having a decent raid parse.

NO ONE DOES BETTER WITH IA THAN A RANGER.

Also for the sake of the topic, coverage is horrible, I have master 1 of it and I can say is I would get more out of it if I just kept adept 3 and muted the friggin thing. They really need to take that not near an enemy requirement out.
  2. ARCHIVED-Hawkman14 Guest

There is too much text for me, i just read few last and first posts... I dont like to read

And... Imho -

Ranger with same equipment and same group buffs cant do better DPS than Assassin... (Assasin has self buff +100 DPS mode... Rangers should have it too...)

And 2 things that are stupid...

Why ranger dont have his heroic oportunity ranged ?
    And why masters from Lore and Legends are not ranger also ?

P.s

And what is 'IA' ; D ?
  3. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Hawkman14 wrote:
    First of all Haste>DPS because haste makes you proc more. Proc rate is based on your delay before haste is applied. So with haste you have the same proc rate but attack more --> voila more procs! Notice every good class buffs haste and every evil class buffs DPS. Now notice that the haste buff is never equal to the DPS buff.

Coercer 82 DPS vs Illy 70 Haste
    Dirge 30 ?DPS vs Troub 2? haste

This is because Haste is better all things being equal.

IA = Illlusory Arm 25% Ranged/Mellee Double attack.

I hate to point it out if you dont know what IA is then you are simply regurgitating what you have heard when you say Rangers cannot equal Assassins. You have no first hand experience. IA is the single utmost important buff a ranger can get.
  4. ARCHIVED-Boramyr Guest

Wow, I'm gone for 5 days and this thread explodes with alot of new faces. I don't really have time to comment on everything, but there are a few things I did want to say.
    First off, Blackdog. The relative parses between my assassin's and myself did not change pre and post mythical. The only time it was way different was after we beat Druushk and before we beat Phara Dar. In otherwords when they had their mythicals and I didn't have mine. But you can't expect anything there.

Second. I saw alot of talk without folks mentioning DPS and Haste very much Those two are both very important, and I'd agree haste is better than dps until you get too far into diminishing returns. Fact of the matter is its all important. STR, DPS, HASTE, Ranged Crit, Ranged Double Attack, Melee Crit, and procs.

Third. And I'm not going to debate this one bit, I'm just going to say the only place I've ever seen the whole time your CA's around your autoattack is on the forums. Everyone I've ever actually seen do great dps, just figures out a good casting order based on their gear and spells and play keep all the CA buttons greyed out. Now that figuring out the casting order part is pretty important.
    As to dropping conservation at 70AA in the ranger tree I have 5 ranks in everything that adds dps at all even the stream of arrows improvement, except the hawk and the trap. The only things I don't have points in are the sprint the root and snare increasers the arrow summoning increaser and the trap and hawk. I have three points in defensive stance (only because you have to to open the tree) and 4 points in escape. I could see after the hawk got improved it might be ok to put points there but not at the cost of points into used arrows.
    And I would like to mention I got to meet Aeralik at Fan Faire and speak with him for a few minutes. He's a really good guy actually.
    Also Blackdog since your on AB hit me up in game sometime.
  5. ARCHIVED-blackdog1 Guest

Thanx Boramyr. Thanx to talking to the Rangers on these boards I was able to figure out what my dps problem was. It was largely because I wasn't playing enough. I basically for about 3 months logged on, raided and logged off. I had assumed my new legendary and fabled equipment was better than MC equipment. What a big mistake that was. I took the advice of Rangers here and dumped Range crit in favor of str until my str got over 900 in the raid. My RC is only 37(42 with the potion) and I could raise it by 5 at the cost of some str and +CA but it looks like almost a wash.I spent about 100 plat and bought a bunch of str and + CA stuff. I lost about 10- 12 RC but gained over 100 str and almost 300 + CA. I am still behind the Assassine but not by much.(Still hard to tell because of varying group make up) The last 2 raids I was number 2 on the pars list.

Oh, also made macros on all my CAs to use ranged attack after CA instead of melee. So of course today, for the first time in months, I go out doing writs and I'm wondering for like 10 minutes why I'm doing like no damage when the mob is close to me. LOL.

I am still annoyed about r dev constantly cutting us back but I am actually doing better than before the arrow change now and have no real problems where I am dps wise.

So thanx to all that helped me.
  6. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Let me start this off by stating that things were completely balanced in EoF in my opinion. Assassins have always done more CA dps than rangers, and rangers have always had to achieve some sort of "end all be all weapon" at the end of that expansion.
    Now, the main thing to keep in mind is balance in this expansion (and others) are not linear. And thats where the heart of the problem lies.

Now considering how weapons are on a linear curve consistant with the damage rating. (the stickied post in the combat discussion shows this). We had 115 damage rating in EoF, our fabled epic is at 122, the highest raid bow is at 127ish. Melee weapons have gone from 85-90 to 100-105. Thus the scale between our fabled and assassin fabled is linear.

Keep in mind that 2 weapons in 1 hand are 33% slower

Looking at the differences in CA's at this expansion, our birdie still does around 20 dps zonewide, assassins have a massive upgrade in there arsinol (fatal followup). This leaves the CA difference between rangers and assassins skewed in terms of CA's.

The next thing to look at is itemization. Melee gets far more melee crit + double attack than a ranger gets ranged double attack/ranged crit. Where this in abundance is at the end of VP. Thus, someone jumping into raiding will be on the lower end on itemization compared to an assassin, and by the higher end things will become far more balanced.

At the begining of this expansion everyone was givin 40 more aa's.

As a ranger you could get additional (useful)
    Melee crit
    8% crit to stealthed abilitys
    Conservation
    Solo AA's like +2.5s to root and additional snare

As an assassin you could get additional (usefull)
    -35% to cast (poise)
    -Multi strike
    -8% to stealth
    -The ability to get the poison/bleeding/proc/and reuse lines.

When looking at the aa's the choices in the pred tree are an assassins trump card. When dealing with single target mobs an assassin a general boost in dps wether it was single target or multi (depending on spec). This is where rangers are left behind in many area's. Remember, that poise and our cast times were tied back to when AA's first came out as well as a ranger "revamp" cast times were decided under 100 AA's.

Here is where things get very dicy, and what eventually leaves us to being 'balanced'. Mythicals...
    Looking at the scale of our bows to begin with, 115 in EoF, 122 as our epic fabled, 154 with our mythical.

Looking at the assassin scales in damage. 90/90 EoF, 100/100, 100/120 (remember in reality you will see)
    60/60(120) 66/66(132) 66/80(146)

This is a large jump between where you are in the expansion. This is also a large jump between classes in the ranger favor. Assassins get the ability to do 30% more to backstabs (or stealthed attacks I forget which at this moment). We get an additional 20% to auto attack making our damage rating 185. This is again compounded by the way spreads and crits work, eventually making our two classes at the late game.

Wether the community agree's or disagree's with me, I think we are balanced in the top end. However before we get there its a huge struggle and an even bigger hump. If you enjoy your class and can get past the damage stick with ranger. If you want a very linear class and one that will always stay in line with the other melee dps pick assassin.
  7. ARCHIVED-AdiX__Styxx__ Guest

As to dropping conservation at 70AA in the ranger tree I have 5 ranks in everything that adds dps at all even the stream of arrows improvement, except the hawk and the trap. The only things I don't have points in are the sprint the root and snare increasers the arrow summoning increaser and the trap and hawk. I have three points in defensive stance (only because you have to to open the tree) and 4 points in escape. I could see after the hawk got improved it might be ok to put points there but not at the cost of points into used arrows.

Stream of arrows doesnt add dps its worthless i tested a lotta stuff with teh aa's and the best spec i came up with for both raiding and soloing is this:

pred tree
    str: 4 4 4 8
    agi : 4 6 4 8 1
    int : 7 4 4 8 1
    +1 in bounty

Ranger tree
    poisoning : 5 caustic 5 fettering (gonna get fixed soonish) 5 ancillary 1 conservation
    trapping : enhance snare 5 immobilizing lunge 5 roped shot 5
    focusing : 2 dance of the forest (yes only 2 can reach it from roped shot and save 1 extra AA) 5 in focus aim 5 in honed and killing and 1 in extension
    multishot : 5 searing shot 5 fittest 5 triple burst 5 shower of arrows 1 in double arrow

Reasoning : pred tree needs no explanation im assuming! the ranger tree ill explain based on your post about escape and used arrows if you have 5 in used arrows and 4 in escape ya are wasting 9 points add in the one point for yer defensive stance (which ive only used on maestro and ptasa rarely but stil) it really is wasting a total of 10 points which ya can use for either runspeed (pathfinding) or the snares for soloability (not that we need any more but its so much nicer) i dont have the 5 in pathfinding either cause i have my ranger as a 80 jeweler and got me the soltice earing that gives a buncha run speed and makes those AAs obsolete now for the summon arrows try using crafted field points on orange mobs and bodkins on white or lower mobs and see if yer dps increases! also drop the 5 in stream for something else cause stream is just a waste the AA does like 1500 ish on average damage per shot if ya use the whole CA ya lose Autoattacks so im assuming yer not doing that if ya only use 2 shots and then cancel it it means ya jsut did 3000 damage in which time ya could have meleed or used a dehate or something else.... anyways if ya like the setup experiment with it and try to do something with the advice and see if it works or not for yas!

greetz styxxey
  8. ARCHIVED-AdiX__Styxx__ Guest

As to dropping conservation at 70AA in the
    ranger tree I have 5 ranks in everything that adds dps at all even the
    stream of arrows improvement, except the hawk and the trap. The only
    things I don't have points in are the sprint the root and snare
    increasers the arrow summoning increaser and the trap and hawk. I have
    three points in defensive stance (only because you have to to open the
    tree) and 4 points in escape. I could see after the hawk got improved
    it might be ok to put points there but not at the cost of points into
    used arrows.

Stream of arrows doesnt add dps its worthless i tested a lotta stuff with teh aa's and the best spec i came up with for both raiding and soloing is this:

pred tree
    str: 4 4 4 8
    agi : 4 6 4 8 1
    int : 7 4 4 8 1
    +1 in bounty

Ranger tree
    poisoning : 5 caustic 5 fettering (gonna get fixed soonish) 5 ancillary 1 conservation
    trapping : enhance snare 5 immobilizing lunge 5 roped shot 5
    focusing : 2 dance of the forest (yes only 2 can reach it from roped shot and save 1 extra AA) 5 in focus aim 5 in honed and killing and 1 in extension
    multishot : 5 searing shot 5 fittest 5 triple burst 5 shower of arrows 1 in double arrow

Reasoning : pred tree needs no explanation im assuming! the ranger tree ill explain based on your post about escape and used arrows if you have 5 in used arrows and 4 in escape ya are wasting 9 points add in the one point for yer defensive stance (which ive only used on maestro and ptasa rarely but stil) it really is wasting a total of 10 points which ya can use for either runspeed (pathfinding) or the snares for soloability (not that we need any more but its so much nicer) i dont have the 5 in pathfinding either cause i have my ranger as a 80 jeweler and got me the soltice earing that gives a buncha run speed and makes those AAs obsolete now for the summon arrows try using crafted field points on orange mobs and bodkins on white or lower mobs and see if yer dps increases! also drop the 5 in stream for something else cause stream is just a waste the AA does like 1500 ish on average damage per shot if ya use the whole CA ya lose Autoattacks so im assuming yer not doing that if ya only use 2 shots and then cancel it it means ya jsut did 3000 damage in which time ya could have meleed or used a dehate or something else.... anyways if ya like the setup experiment with it and try to do something with the advice and see if it works or not for yas!

greetz styxxey

PS : sry ma typing was black on black in previous post couldnt see i thaha
  9. ARCHIVED-Boramyr Guest

So your Adix your post was really hard to read but you quoted me at the top, so I guess I should answer. The original question was about weither or not Convservation was worth keeping after the correction to crit/da potions. I think we both seem to agree on that.
    The other points you seem to be arguing are more of a playstyle thing. Snares do little to nothing in Raiding and I can kill most solo mobs in about 1 to 2 seconds so the Snares and Roots beyond fettering poison do almost nothing for me. However there are raid fights when I'm jousted out and have to be for a while, When I've cast every ranged CA I can and have nothing left to cast for 10 or 20 seconds even my deaggros and at which point throwing in 3 hits from Stream Shot is worth it because its something not nothing. Especially if I pair it up with the clicky effect from my Werewolf hat from Shard of Hate. No Stream is not very usefull and I go alot of fights without hitting it. But 99% of what I fight personally can't be rooted or snared.
    Now when I was leveling up in Kunark solo. I respeced out of most of the Damage AA's in the Ranger tree and had all the roots/snares and even charm animal specc'd.
    Best part about AA's they let you tweak your character to your own playstyle and very seldom is there one 100% right for everyone spec.
  10. ARCHIVED-AdiX__Styxx__ Guest

yea if yer a pure raider then snares will be useless but have ya ever tried killing heroic mobs? with those extra AAs in snares it makes it so much easier! its still possible without but a lil rougher! I never thought about the hat // stream combo i gotta look into that that might actually make the AAs in there worth it dont have the hat yet tho but trying! if i am jousting tho i hardly ever run outta stuff to use while ignoring stream of arrows so thats not really an arguement for me but yea the hat thing wow i really am looking forward looting that now!

the ideas i posted up there will still save ya a point in yer defensive stance cause ya only need 17 to get the last ability and ya can still get it from roped shot AAs which is kinda a must have for a raiding ranger too! read ya had 4 in evac now ya can put 5 in there or wherever else ya want it in....

For me yea i dont use the snares a lot on raids but when we are facing avatars i rather put up a snare poison so if i do shoot arrows at adds and i do pull agroe it ill take so much longer for the mob to get to me and ussually dead b4 it gets near aswell... but yea in the end it all depends on playstyle and preferences and its all about good fun!

thx for replying

greetz tha styxxey
  11. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

blackdog1 wrote:
    I don't really count because I'm only level 40, but I just betrayed my ratonga assassin to ranger because it's more fun to play. I did have a 73 assassin I deleted because of extremely low AAs and I just wanted to level up a predator again. I really do hope I can hang with assassins when all is said and done, but I've gotten to the point now where melee classes just don't interest me unless I'm tanking. I really like playing a ranger. It's the funnest class I've found to play besides guardian tanking, and coercer soloing.
  12. ARCHIVED-ParmaSniper Guest

OK. I have been away from this thread for a bit and just read the replies. I love how this stuff sitrs up all us rangers. hehehe. but that is good, it shows we care about our class and are not just clicking buttons.
    As to one of the original responses, I have upgraded a few more pieces, I have added the ranged auto attack to all my melee CAs (which it gets stuck sometimes and then the tank sees an arrow fly by him while he is attempting to body pull, ooopss. hehehe), and did my DPS go up? Yes. so those were helpful :)
    I have gotten a decent casting order down, plan on a bit more tweaking, since one of the best rangers on our server (or was at 70) came back from his summer off and actually joined our guild. So he and I will be working on some things to help stabilize my DPS ( I seem to parse erractically between 3k and 5k ). I have had lots of practice both in raids and on the training wall in KJ to up my parse. So I am making every effort to make the best of my class. The same problems from my original post still exist. Conservation is SOO situational, and I still can't catch a equally equipped assassin.
    I did hear something that did ease my mind a little, and I mean a little. I talked to a few Rangers in the hard core raid guilds (like 6 nights a week hard core) and they all tell me that when I get my Mythical I should see a HUGE jump in my DPS. At that point I will be able to keep up with (not catch, but at least not get doubled) an Assassin with his Mythical. But alas my last update comes off the last mobs in VP, so I will get it right before we take on trax. uggg. would be nice to be getting it before then, but ehh.
    The jist of my gripe originally was Assassins deal so much more damage then we do, and at least the assassins offer Hate Transfer so they are usually more desirable for raids.
    Here are the group set-ups the Assassin and I usually run in.
    Assassin's Group
    Guard (MT)
    Templar
    Mystic
    Dirge
    Coercer
    Assassin (Not sure exactly what buffs he is getting)

My Group
    Inquisitor (If Inq unavailable I usually get a Warden)
    Illusionist
    Dirge
    Assassin
    Monk/Bruiser (depending who is there)
    Ranger (I get Illy Arms & Rapidity from illy and Tenacity from Inquisitor)
    Those are the typical set-ups he and I run with.
    So I dont believe I am lacking any buffs that would necessarily drop my DPS. If my group's set-up is way off, please tell me. Our Raid leader is always willing to try new things.
    I guess I wish our dev would just take a little time and toy with some changes. I thought the reduction of reuse time on our ranged CAs was something logical to try.
    Heck they do what ever they want in dev or on their test toons, so why not have some dev that KNOWS the ranger class and our dev that KNOWS the assassin class both in the dead-eye set armor, both having their epics, give them 72 MC jewelry, all adept 3 CAs, No adornments, or potions, give them the same weapons (something with no ranged or melee DA, and no ranged or melee crit), and have them go nuts. See how both parse then. That puts both classes on equal footing. Then remove the AA end of line for STR restriction for CAs over 2 min and try again. I am not screaming make us parse higher than assassins because they get hate transfer, I am just saying get us a bit closer.
    Look many times people complain about their class and say we are broken, fix us, but never offer up any viable solutions. Its like saying I am starving, feed me. Then when asked what you want, saying I dont know.
    I am saying we need a little help and am offering up a viable suggestion of things the devs can try out and see how it works. What harm will come if our dev tried this and found it to WAY over power the ranger, and just post we tried this and it didnt work. Then we would shut up.
    I think the devs would pay more attention to what we post as problems if more people offered up suggestions, and realistic ones. Nothing will ever change if we don't stop screaming with no offer on fixes. This thread has been a good one. I know some things that were posted helped some folks out. So for that I am glad.
    We are all here to help each other so keep up the good work.
    Hope I don't sound too angry :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Boramyr Guest

Your groups look pretty good but if your getting a warden that does nothing for you and would be hurting you over the Inquisitor.
    Really you are getting much better buffs than those assassins. As for inconsitant spiking how fast is your tank pulling. Ranger CA's are on a full cycle of about a minute and a half. If your tank pulls three 30 second fights in that period you are going to rock one of them and be mediocre for two of them. One thing I'd look at is see what your haste is sitting out without Temp buffs from you and your Dirge. If you are up over 125 or so then you might look at removing a haste item for more double attack or a dps mod since you will be well into dimenishing returns if not over the cap with those temp buffs.
    Last VP raid I was on I was usually second or third on 99% of all the individual fight parses but come zonewide I was 500 over everyone else in my raid including two very good assassins. I can't stress enough you can't look at a bunch of trash mob fights you have to look at a zonewide with named to see a ranger shine. Also you can't really put two classes that play as differently and need gear and buffs as differently as rangers and assassins on equal comparative footing. I realize there is a tenuous thread of one AA line and a couple of abilities that were a holdover of a bygone age tying us together but the classes really are NOTHING alike in how they play/ convert buffs/ or gear up.
  14. ARCHIVED-ParmaSniper Guest

I hear ya on the differences in the classes. I guess its just hard to figure out 1. how our "counterpart" can throw out that much more damage (even though you snatched the zonewide in VP, gratz by the way) or at least till you hit the end raid zones for gear and Ranger gets their Myth, and 2. how almost every piece of gear for scouts in RoK seems to have melee crit and melee double attack, but ranged crit and ranged double attack is soo hard to come by. That is like a double whammy. I think Rangers would be much cloer to assassins if they had gear available to them the assassin has.

I guess if I had hope for some changes, they would be....

1. Take some of the MANY items that have melee crit on them and add an equal amt of ranged crit.
    2. Take some of the MANY items that have melee DA and add an equal amt of ranged DA to them.
    3. Take the distance restriction off of conservation.
    4. Remove the end of line STR "CAs on over 2 min timmers" restriction or bump it down to 1 min. The only probelm with that one is it would cut down the timmers on assassins too, so maybe add it to the ranger tree. Or add one similar to Ranged CAs on the Ranger tree.
    5. How about a few more decent 1 handers with ranged crit or ranged DA, and not just melee DA and melee crit.

Changes like that should not over power us. Again I wish our dev would take a minute and listen to the people playing the class, because he doesnt play a ranger, so he doesnt feel our pain. From what I understand he plays an assassin so he feels all is good in the predator world.
  15. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

I have said this for two years now. The damages between our two classes are similar, however our cast times are not. Thats the base of our problems right there. I have done my math and charts between rangers and assassins, and it astounds me some of the decisions that are made. You are right on the money on some of the problems with itemization sniper. Also keep in mind, there are still many many melee only effects off items, procs (agitate/wizzy/warlock procs for example), and AA's (there are still AA's that are useless to us due to having melee only tagged - multi strike, our debuff forinstance). One last thing though, and I think this should apply to all classes. Auto attack should go through CA's without having to worry about timing. Alot of classes are far more hindered by having to time alot more.
  16. ARCHIVED-Boramyr Guest

Mortred@Befallen wrote:

One last thing though, and I think this should apply to all classes. Auto attack should go through CA's without having to worry about timing. Alot of classes are far more hindered by having to time alot more.

Nobody has to Time Anything. One of the biggest common themes amongst rangers that complain about dps is this thinking that they have to time their CA's around their Autoattack. This DOES NOT WORK. Nobody I know of that can pull real numbers that I've seen does this of any class.
    I've said this in a couple other threads but I'll say it again. You do need to be smart and not stack too many long casting time CA's together but most of our CA's after the Agility AA cast at .3 seconds and if your grouped with a troub it'll be .25 seconds. Between Every CA there is a .5 second cooldown time. (there are things that will reduce this time but they aren't readily available to rangers). Autoattacks go off during the cooldown time. Rangers don't do 50% or more of our damage from Autoattack. Autoattack should be 30-35% premythical and about 40% post mythical. Procs account for another 25 to 35% leaving CA's weighted almost the same as Autoattack when you aslo factor in that CA's are causing some of those procs too. If your doing 50%+ of your damage from autoattack you aren't using enough CA's probably because you are letting 1 to 2 seconds go by every Autoattack delay waiting on your ACT to register the autattack (which can have up to a 1 second delay sometimes depending on how bogged down your computer is) and then waiting on your own reaction time to hear the ding and then click a CA. (which again is probably no less that .5 seconds if not more than 1 full second).
  17. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

You may be right, my own opinion of that wains every day. However, after talking to some others - namely monks. You see about double the dps difference with timing auto attacks, which has gotten me to question my own judgements. Its a sticky subject as a whole imho.
  18. ARCHIVED-Boramyr Guest

Monks Average CA Casting time is 1 second and their weapon delays are 2.5 seconds before haste. So its a much different game. Check out my alts on EQ2 player. My number one alt is a Monk.
  19. ARCHIVED-dbmoreland Guest

Boramyr wrote:
    Nobody has to Time Anything. One of the biggest common themes amongst rangers that complain about dps is this thinking that they have to time their CA's around their Autoattack. This DOES NOT WORK. Nobody I know of that can pull real numbers that I've seen does this of any class.
    Well the “best” zone wide parse that I have seen posted by a ranger is 7750 and he did it with 52% of his damage coming from autoattack.
    Boramyr wrote:
    I've said this in a couple other threads but I'll say it again. You do need to be smart and not stack too many long casting time CA's together but most of our CA's after the Agility AA cast at .3 seconds and if your grouped with a troub it'll be .25 seconds.
    We have a total of 7 “melee” CAs, all of which have a basic casting time of 0.5 sec which is reduced to 0.37 sec with our Poise AA.
    We have a total of 11 “ranged” CAs. The casting time on these varies between 1 sec and 5 sec which is reduced to 0.74 sec to 3.7 sec.
    Not sure where you get the idea that “most of our CAs cast at .3 sec.“
    Boramyr wrote:
    Between Every CA there is a .5 second cooldown time. (there are things that will reduce this time but they aren't readily available to rangers). Autoattacks go off during the cooldown time. Rangers don't do 50% or more of our damage from Autoattack.
    Well some do. There are over 15 parses posted in a thread on EQ2.flames that all parsed over 5500 zone wide and have Auto Attack percentages of 50+%
    Maximizing your damage per second is very simple. If the fight is short, short enough that you cannot cast every single one of your CAs before the fight is over, then your casting order should be the CAs that do the most damage per cast time. If the fight is long, long enough that you have to wait for one of your CAs to recycle after you have cast every single one of them, then your cast order should be the CAs that do the most damage per recycle time. Now the problem with this is that it assumes that nothing changes from the start of the fight to the end of the fight. With 23 other people affecting the fight this is NEVER true. So in order to hit the absolute best DPS you will need to adjust the order of your CAs to take advantage of these changing conditions.
    As for timing auto attacks, think of your auto attack as a CA. It has a cast time of 0 and has a reuse time of x seconds (x varies depending on your bow's delay and your haste, mine is usually 4.2). Now compare your auto attack damage rate with ANY other CA. For me at least it beats them ALL hands down. So you had better be using this "CA" ALL of the time or you will be reducing your damage. That is why you should time your CAs around your auto attacks, because your auto attack is your single best source of damage in EVERY situation. If you neglect it, you are hurting your overall damage rate.
    Another thing that few rangers have mentioned is that proper use of Focus Aim will do more to increase your DPS than any other single thing. Starting with Focus Aim, followed by Ranged Auto Attack, then ALL of your Ranged CAs will result in more damage in those 15 sec than in any other 15 sec of the fight. So if you know that the fight will last 30 to 60 seconds, then delaying this sequence until the mob is fully debuffed (dispatch in, etc) will maximize your overall dps even further. Absolute maximum DPS is all about timing; timing your CAs with your auto attacks, timing your temp buffs with your CAs and timing your best DPS sequence with the rest of the raid. That is why this is such a hard class to master and why you will see DPS numbers for level 80 Rangers vary from 1500 or less to 7500 or more.
  20. ARCHIVED-Safana. Guest

If you like button clicking, then play some chanter lol. Ranger DPS comes from meticulous timing like i said on the other thread about timing with ACT.
    My avg autoattack is like 10-11k usually. My ranged DA with bard/illu is around 90-100%. That makes around 20k dmg every 4seconds (usually capped on haste). So, the autoattack DPS is 5k. Delay some autoattack by like 0,5 seconds and I lose 2500 dmg. Thats 40 DPS in a 60 second fight. And we dont have so much combat arts that we need to spam them because we would have multiple of them up all the time otherwise. Like Danean said, timing your focus aim + all your ranged combat arts into dispatched is essential when doing max DPS. And even then, timing your autoattack is the most important point.
    Back to the main topic:
    Yes, Coverage is a pain to use sometimes... BUT it actually IS a DPS boost, even if you use your mythical and leave the <5m spot. I really would like to see the range requirement removed. Then it would be at least useable but still not be as powerful as fatal followup (to refer to our counterpart) which is 10-15k every min easily. Another nice thing would be to remove the toggle from focus aim so the recast begins right after the cast and not after it expires. That would also fit better with the recast of our ranged CAs.