SoE Hates Rangers....

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-littlelion, May 3, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

Decapitate is just an upgrade to Assassinate which is the lvl 50 Assassin spell. Rain it the upgrate to Storm, the lvl 50 Ranger spell. These are the spells that are comparable. For one Sniper is 12 levels lower than Decapitate so that's one reason why it does significantly less DPS. You're comparing apples and oranges.
    As far as the teleport thing, I'm not talking about the Black Queen and I'm not talking about you getting ported. I am talking about the tank getting ported and the mob chasing the tank and thus leaving melee range.
  2. ARCHIVED-USAFJeeper Guest

Do you actually play a ranger Stararrow? Decapitate is the assassin 15 minute refresh big bang, Sniper shot is ours. Period. You are wrong. What mob pray tell ports the tank then chases him? Are you sure you even play EQ2?
  3. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

Wow...this discussion went to hell pretty quick. here...let me clean that up so it doesnt sound like an a-hole wrote it.

There...you get your point across and dont sound rude.
    Saihung
  4. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

5. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

I think what the point the OP is trying to get across.. Is, we get one large scale attack, and that comes at 58. Assassins get one every 12 levels. Although there are diffrences in damage, and utility to justify the damage. Assassins can just as easilly use there level 70 AE dot on a single target to get the same effect as our level 70 AE DD. But they get decapitate? - Question being though, do they get a version of tripple volly at level 70?

That is a MUCH more effective way to get your point across OP.

Also, might I point out. That as it is I personally can hold higher DPS than most other T1 DPS. Does this mean we are overpowered? No, does it mean others are underpowered? No - it just means I have taken the time to learn and play and upgrade my class effectively.

PS - dont get me started on summoners - then it turns into a flame :p
  6. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

I was going to reply to you lore but *sigh* invalid HTML. One thing that I forgot though is Decapitate line has no knockback either. Sure that doesn't work on Epics but they don't balance the spells totally based around Epic encounters. The fact there is a knockback effect caused the spell to lose some DMG potential.
  7. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Thats what I ment when I said the thing about snipers "utlity" in my earlier post.

Sorry, bad wording on my part. And im still to lazy to edit it,they can read this instead.
  8. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

Yeah, your utility comment made me remember Knockback.
  9. ARCHIVED-TofuPatty Guest

Probably shouldn't jump into something that's gotten so heated but - have to agree with star. Sniper shot is our 58 skill, decapitate is the assassin 70 skill that replaces their 50 skill of assassinate, just as the 50 ranger skill storm of arrows is replaced by rain of arrows. Sniper gets compared to assassinate a lot since it will do the same raw damage as assassinate, but it isn't a skill on the same level that it's acquired.

While sniper shot does have the drawback of a 5s casting time compared to a .5 sec casting time, it does have a lot of advantages. It has a 4s stun attached to it, which assassinate/decapitate does not, it can be cast at range, and since it can be cast at range while soloing it can be used against see invis mobs, and have 4s to drop more ranged skills AND the mob is still at range so if you are smart the mob will be snared so it can be kited. Assassins have none of these advantages.

In a group or a raid, rangers also have the advantage of being able to essentially call out our own crits by ourselves without any outside crit improving chances by using focus aim. With a brigand around, I regularly land sniper shot for over 11k once dispatch has been called and timing focus aim with sniper shot. Hell, I’ve criticality landed sniper shot for 16,104 and I’m not in an uber our ****** is bigger than your ****** guild. Decapitate will land higher if it crits, and yes there are still some ranger issues about, but things aren’t that bad and some of the constant whining from rangers is just getting sad.
  10. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Tofu - only one thing you have to keep in mind.. Both classes get an AE at 70, and surviel - and one other ability. assassins get decapitate, rangers get tripple volly.

And just for the record - I couldent care less if we get a version of snipers shot. The one we get at 58 is fine. I do feel however that we should get a version of it in our lower levels.
  11. ARCHIVED-Balerius Guest

Or it means that the other people that you play with don't know how to play their classes effectively. Or it means that if you are raiding your guild doesn't effectively setup groups to maximize dps and your "high dps" is only high when other classes are not properly supported. Or it means that you are talking about your high dps compared to other classes while grouping versus raiding. Or it means that you are soloing. Or it means that you are raiding t6 content with t7 characters. Or it could mean a lot of things. Since you don't bother to give us the context of your "higher dps than most other T1 dps classes", much less provide any numbers, we don't really know why your experience is what ir is.
    I think I do know, however, that stating that anyone whose experience is different than yours hasn't "taken the time to learn to play and upgrade their class effectively" is at best condescending and at worst self-deceiving.
  12. ARCHIVED-TofuPatty Guest

The AE that assassins get at 70 is a line that they have been recieving every 14 levels for their entire career, just like triple volley. Cloaked assault (70) replaces Murderer's assault (56) replaces Shadow assault (42), etc just as Triple Volley (70) replaces Triple Arrow (56) replaces Triple Fire (42).

Storm of arrows and Assassinate are both the 'special' skills that are recived at 50, untied to any previous line of skills. We get focus fire and snipe at 50 that both are 14 level replacements for existing skill lines and the entirely new skill of storm of arrows. Assassins get anathama as an every 14 level upgrade to an existing skill line and the entirely new skill of assassinate. Since they were the 'special' level 50 skills, they are not replaced every 14 level like other skills, rather they are replaced 20 levels later at 70.

So what really happens at 70 is we both get surviel as a shared 14 level upgrade, we get triple volley to replace triple arrow as our 14 level skill, assassins get cloaked assault to replace murderer's assault as thier 14 level skill, we get rain of arrows to replace our level 50 special and they get decapitate to replace their level 50 special.

If rangers were to get a version of sniper shot earlier in their career they'd be the only class to get early versions of thier DoF special skills and they'd be getting it earlier than assassins get assassinate - unless the earlier version is recieved at 50, which would make sniper shot an upgrade in 8 levels.
  13. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

On the thread of comparing actual spells of equal level, my rain of arrows (at the STR cap) does 2102-3504 dmg on ever target I hit every 3 minutes. In the amount of time it takes for Decapitate to refresh I can do against one target 8402-14016 dmg. Seems like that's pretty on par with Decapitate for me and that's only if there's one mob. Granted not a lot of fights last that long, but as soon as you make it a group of 2 mobs or 3 or more Rain of Arrows becomes better and better.
    Say you start with 3 mobs and you kill one before Rain refreshes each time. The first Rain is 6306-10512, the second is 4204-7008, and the last 2102-3504. That's a total 12612-21024.
    So there's 2 cases where Rain > Decapitate. And that's not even taking into account the fact that we can use Focus Aim before Rain to give us a very good chance a critting.
  14. ARCHIVED-hieronymus Guest

i dont think our DPS is that bad providing you have bundles of STR and 50 AA points and are buffed to the hilt, the trouble is its that a lot of other classes are too high. So called lower tier DPS are still beating us on a regular raid basis which is wrong.
    We are hugely dependant on crit hits and group debuffs/buffs to make our DPS better where other classes dont need so much.
    At this present moment in time i dont enjoy playing my ranger for this reason and im usually the first to be asked to sit out on a raid to make way for higher DPS. Why have a class that can do 600-700 DPS and not bring anything to a raid when you can have other classes that can top 1200 every fight and have some utility.
  15. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Grab poise - get as many adept 3's as you can (although thats rough now because of loams). And mash the crap out of those keys!

You will get to the point where you will drop like a brick with power, then you will see yourself being top dps a good chunk of the time.
  16. ARCHIVED-BSbongo Guest

ok it's not useless comparing parses of you soloing. it's rather informative. but comparing 2 different classes played by 2 different people is useless because:
    1) you cannot be sure that the 2 players are equally good at playing their classes
    2) the 2 different players are never equally equiped with gear, spells and weapons.
    both players must be exactly equal in order for them to be compared fairly and that is why parsing is useless.
    I'm having fun with my ranger :) anyone else enjoy playing for fun?
  17. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Yeah, I do Bongo. Antiquated concept, that "fun." We're so old-fashioned. ;)
  18. ARCHIVED-BSbongo Guest

i knew i liked you for some reason :) it seems like more and more people are concerned about numbers this and numbers that when in reality having fun is the best part of the game. if i wanted to know about numbers i'd play calculus MMO. now wouldn't that be fun? solving difficult equations all day long. WOOOHOOOO. sign me up!! seriously now what is the most fun you guys have had playing your ranger? one of the coolest things i've done with my ranger involved evac. i love using evac in strange ways. i got asked to a pickup group one night in zek. there was a pally and a healer and they were doing the sash quest and needed help up on the spiral tower. for those of you that dont know the mob up there has wicked knock back. the pally hailed and spawned him but was not prepared for the knock back and went splat on the ground below. i had hardly hit him at this time and the healer was next on the hate list and went down fast. so i was standing there face to face with a ^^^ heroic that i had no chance of killing in such tight quarters with no help as he was yellow. so i thought evac!! if i ran down the spiral he might have interrupted or killed me before i got off evac so i just backed up off the cliff while casting evac. it went off before i hit the ground and i lived :)
  19. ARCHIVED-Kathas Guest

LOL, similar situation, arrived late for the dance to find the tank down and out and the mob heading for the healer. I stealthed as I ran into range, hidden shot and the mob went down two steps from a very relieved healer. This was, without a doubt, the most fun I've had in this game. Talk about feeling the hero. I'll happily concede that, in a raid or raid guild, the DPS is important but for me, it's all about the fun.
  20. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

Well not just for soloing, but yes, I use parses really only to compare myself (when soloing raiding or grouping) against myself, not others. And I still play my ranger because it's fun. If I didn't have fun I wouldn't still play. ;)