Server wide anncounments for Avatars, please.

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Balbasur, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Lack of evidence can not be used as evidence. Furthermore I have provided testimony from both witnesses and experts (players and devs) that there is lag which you have yet to directly respond to.

Server wide announcements would guarantee they would be killed even faster, not leave them up so people could see them at their leisure.

You lore guys aren't missing anything, they don't say or do anything interesting outside of actually fighting them.
  2. Raenius Well-Known Member

Now you need a certain amount of people in order to cover certain spots in different zones since they spawn silently.
    If there is a message we will only need one toon logged in QH in order to pick it up, so chances someone kills it without us noticing become non-existant.

And btw: all "losses" of avatars were because of the ruling guild of a server didnt notice them spawning during raidtime, so in the end you would just make it even easier to track.

Fact is: if you arent in a guild willing to go for them by any means necessary, you wont kill them - especially not when you want a red light flashing up when they spawn.
    Twyxx and Neiloch like this.
  3. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Yep. Like I said, anything that makes them easier to track and kill makes them easier to track and kill for everyone, even the people killing them now.
  4. Luzionist Active Member

Does it truly matter if they put a serverwide message up or not regarding when the avatar will be killed, the way I see it is that the guild with the highest reaction to it at that time will get it. The "random" spawn points for the 3 good avatars gives a little randomness, I would prefer that the mobs be able to spawn in any zone not just a greyed out zone and once they spawn they roam. This would give some of the underused zones some needed visits etc.
  5. Twyxx Well-Known Member

We've lost two avatars. If you had the server message we'd have zero lost. It would just make it easier for us and we wouldn't have to waste time camping/looking for them. I would absolutely welcome more of a contest for them, but that would take a comparably active guild stepping up, not a message.

Since you can't seem to find a guild that will keep you, you probably haven't experienced the spell lag in raids lately. And if you don't think over-land zones can get lagged you must not have done the DoV public quests. Lag was so bad in the pq's their solution was to cap the amount of players that could get into an instance of a zone. Remember all the channel spam for "LF GD1"? If the game was in a place to handle the traffic I'd welcome the message...it'd be fun to kill them in front of an audience. But the game is old and I don't have any faith that they can manage the lag.
    Ardur Duradan and Neiloch like this.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

PQ's were great community interaction too. Unfortunately their servers couldn't handle them. Also lag wiped us on Amalgamon last night, the Deathdealer "stood still" for the 4+ seconds of lag we hit.
    Neiloch likes this.
  7. Epixz Member

As much as i used to enjoyed killing contested/avatar from T5 to early SF the argument that you need to put effort into looking out for them is pretty moot.
    I mean create a free account create a few lvl 1 alt have someone CoH them to avatar spawn and then log them when avatar is due alt tab every 5-10min to see if it s up.
    Dont try to make it look harder than it actually is :)
  8. Drayven New Member

From a lore standpoint SOE screwed up really bad.

These shouldn't be the gods themselves but rather their AVATARS. Instead of Tunare it should be Avatar of Growth. avatar = a physical manifestation of a god's will on the mortal world. From a lore standpoint, didn't we just do a huge bazillion quest long signature line that required consulting a fallen Roehn Theer, getting permission from both Tunare and Cazic Thule (projections of them mind you) to execute a rather complicated and detailed plan involving 3 demi gods of war as well, just to confront and slay one god of Norrath, which had ramifications that were part of the basis for the current expansion pack? But now Rodcet Nife decides to hang out in Antonica, he gets quiety and quickly bitchslapped for a couple of fabled items, and Norrath keeps on turning.

As for putting out a server wide message..../shrug okay. You mean we can know an avatar is up without having to leave the guild hall? We use an active call list so by the time you got out to whatever zone its in, you'll have just enough time to experience the content by waving goodbye to it before we kill it.

Unless of course you're suggesting that, "from a lore stand point", a PUG could be geared enough and coordinated enough to contest a god's will on a moment's notice.
    Priority and Ardur Duradan like this.
  9. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Sadly, most people think that and a call list are extreme measures to contest them.
    Neiloch likes this.
  10. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Their titles do say 'Avatar of Growth' 'Health' etc. So they are indeed avatars, they just labeled them differently this time around I guess. It does seem like someone made the mistake of thinking gods = avatars so they gave the avatars the names of the gods. It's almost like the gods were demoted to avatar status.
  11. Draylore Well-Known Member

I think the current way Avatar's are done is just fine. Those willing to put in the time and effort to track them, check on them and mobilize get the rewards ....as it should be.

Server wide announcement is just silly and even if I did think there was a issue of unfairness with the current design.......such a message would only make it worse since now those very same guilds capable of killing them would have an even easier/quicker time to kill them.

I will most likely never get to fight an Avatar.....fine with me...since I am no willing to do what it takes to deserve it. That said I have actually come across one that had just spawned......I looked at it.....tried to chat with it........trust me there is no "LORE" being missed =P

Now a ..."The mighty <guild x> has slain <avatar y>" would be kinda cool as I could then put out some gratz.
    Alenna likes this.
  12. Crychtonn Active Member

I hope when they add the next three Avatars they make the fights like the old Tranquility and original Rodcet Nife fights. Where you fought Tranquilities champion Master Wu or fought off Grumus while Rodcet delt with Disease.

Would love to see Brell come back where he challanges you to take on Brell's Bouncers and Drunken Hoard all the while he tosses kegs of beer at the raid o_O You defeat them and he hands the raid a keg full of treasure :)
  13. Epixz Member

haha Brell was fun with the boulder that would slow you sooo hard if you didnt have 99% weight reduction bag.
    i loved Mischief and the invis add that you needed to assist someone who had the vision.
    Tribunal was a fine challenge with the 7 guys beating you up
    the others were pretty much pushover.
  14. Bchizzle Active Member

I dont really get casuals complaining about not getting to experience avatar content sine any of you can hang out at the avatar and watch how its killed so you can figure out how to kill it with your friends.
  15. Venomizer Member

Why are those with the avatars on lockdown saying server message is a bad idea, cuz it will make them more on lockdown?

If you have them on lockdown, dont you want to make them even more on lockdown?

The truth is that you know exactly when it dies because you kill it. You want this information to be kept secret so only you know it and not displayed to the whole server. As if you want it secret so you dont monopolize them EVEN more. lol

This combination of logic abuse and deception is epic.
  16. Maergoth Well-Known Member

"those with avatars on lockdown" aren't saying anything. You're making broad and baseless statements. The only reason there is any coincidence at all is because the people "with avatars on lockdown" are convinced they will still "have avatars on lockdown".

The only difference is there will be a shitton of people watching, causing lag, etc.

I don't think that will be the case, but that is the logic behind it.. and it's pretty sound logic.
    Neiloch likes this.
  17. Crychtonn Active Member

Reply to Venomizer ~

Good job ignoring quite a few people being fine with a server wide Kill message. Which lets everyone know when it died and when to start camping it again. The difference between a server wide spawn message vs kill message is simple. One causes lots of lag making fights suck or impossible (see pestilence with any lag delay on red text messages) and the other doesn't. Really a kill message gives out more information because contrary to a lot of peoples beliefs Avatars don't die minutes after spawning on most servers. So knowing when one dies and when to start camping again can be much more useful information.

FYI ~ The information is never secret!! The mobs are in open zones hidden from no one. Just because most people don't want to camp or put in the time to track kills doesn't make it secret.
  18. Arieste Well-Known Member

Most of those that "have them on lockdown" don't want a server message because it will cause lag and griefing. Which is annoying and decreases everyone's enjoyment of the game. In terms of having them on lockdown, chances are they WOULD have an even easier time keeping track.

I am not sure why this logic is not clear to people:

If there is a server message, who benefits? Those that can assemble fastest based on that message.
    Who can assemble fastest to kill an avatar? Raid forces that have an avatar call list.
    Who has an avatar call list? Guilds that already kill avatars / have them on lockdown.

Do you think there are really lots of guilds out there that have call lists, are capable of killing avatars, but don't do it because they can't be bothered to check the spawn points? You can't possibly be serious.

Representing a guild that has only killed very few avatars (we don't have a call list) , I can tell you that the only times we've killed avatars was when the our server's "lockdown guilds" happened to miss it or were slow in forming. If there was a server message, I can guarantee you that they would have formed up faster and taken away our opportunity.

TL;DR version: My guild doesn't have any avatars on lockdown and rarely gets to pull them. But in no way is this related to their existence or spawn time "being kept a secret by the top guilds". During our regular raid times, we check avatar spawns and if one spawns, we pull the mob. We don't - AT ALL - feel that there is any conspiracy against us by the "elite" to keep away the avatars.
    Alenna, Estred and Neiloch like this.
  19. Neiloch Well-Known Member

How is it kept secret exactly? other than the people who know simply not telling anyone. It can't be 'hidden' away from anyone. The information is freely available IF people are willing to take time to do it, just like camping them to know when they spawn.

Absolutely NO ONE is being restricted by outside forces from attempting to kill avatars.

The only restrictions you have are the ones you put on yourselves such as: Not wanting to use call lists. Not wanting to monitor spawn spots. Not wanting to monitor when they are killed. Even if the servers performed perfectly, there were spawn AND kill messages you would STILL be getting dominated by people who use call lists.
    Alenna likes this.
  20. Venomizer Member

lots of raging there.

server wide message does nothing for the group killing the avatar, they already know they killed it. its illogical to think a server message would increase their lockdown. its alerting others to the event.

i think its cool to have messages solely for the community aspect. i just lawl at those on here saying the message would increase top guilds monopolies. that is terrible logic.

maybe there is some legitimacy to lag issues, but that is not the arguement some used. the lag argument is not one of elegance or what is correct, but of how things behave in real time. thats a pragmatist approach.

if you are arguing for pragmat ism you need to not out of the other side of your mouth and say its right.