Server wide anncounments for Avatars, please.

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Balbasur, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Balbasur Active Member

The Avatars should have server announcements, honestly. These are THE GODS OF NORRATH IN MORTAL FORM, it should be a big deal when they set foot on Norrath not just stand by a dead tree or druid ring "waiting for a challenger". From a lore perspective it's stupid for them to just stand there unannounced; I mean come on, the stupid lvl 80 mythical gives server wide ancounment, but when a GOD sets foot none of Norath no one knows about it, except a few people /afking ?

I suggest making it so that a server message appears in the form of "Rumors spread around Norrath that a God has been spoted on 'X zone' soil"

Also, this would solve the only a few population of raiders getting to actually see them which would expand the content base.
  2. Glassjaw Active Member

I am not entirely opposed to this idea since the idea of camping avatars and waking up in the middle of the night to kill them does not sound appealing to me. On the other hand for those who are able to put the extra time and effort in, they should have the first crack at the avatar. The biggest downside to a server wide message would be the amount of lag brought to the zone with the avatar because everyone would want to check it out and we all know that lag is only getting worse as time passes in this game - even with recent attempts to fix it which from the comments I have been hearing, made it worse.
  3. Geothe Active Member

Or, you can just check their spawn points as has been the case for contested content since 2004.
  4. Balbasur Active Member

But, these were not GODS OF NORRATH. These were mobs that were relative to there locations and most of other parts of Norrath did not hear them. I would argue even the old Avatars: Gods Manifested in Norrathian Form should of had server wide messages.

These are GODS that ALL of Norrath has heard of and majority worship, there is NO reason why there shouldn't be a server wide message.
  5. Balbasur Active Member

And again, it is not just check there spawn points, it is the lore point of view of them just spawning randomly and their followers not knowing nor any one in the respective zones knowing they are there.
  6. Geothe Active Member

And I would argue that you just want a very lazy way to check if contested mobs are up so you can pull your guild together and kill them. You just want to have a character sitting in a city with a parser running that sends a notification when the Server Message appears, instead of actually putting forth a small bit of effort to run yourself to the spawn locations themselves.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  7. slippery Well-Known Member

He doesn't want or care about anything. It's Matin. He's just trolling to incite people.
  8. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I agree because if he / she / it really wanted anything changed, they should do a /feedback with a detailed reason for a needed change.
  9. Balbasur Active Member

I am not in a Avatar raiding guild, but the fact is only ~ 90 people per server has even laid eyes on these things which are in day to day zones and they are the most powerful entities in Norrath except a few select dragons is a real shame.

It isn't about raiding, again. It's about letting others experience content and to make sure lore is in check.
  10. Raenius Well-Known Member

11. Balbasur Active Member

Please, do not even say lag is a real issue here. We know that the real issue here is that the one guild that dominates these on the server will actually have a contest to get em provided they occur during opposing guilds raid hours. But that is no different then what already occurs now...camping of them.

I'm not saying hinder the ability to camp them. I would just like the rest of the server to come see the Gods and perhaps them to not be as combatants randomly scattered though out the world awaiting challengers. But, perhaps wander around in the zones and if one were to approach them they would speak to you and give a +buff.

As it stands now it goes like this server dominating guild X goes raids and puts Y apps/reserve/bots at various spawn locations for the Gods. Then if it's up during there time they immediately rush to kill it Furthermore, if its during an off night of raiding, they still camp them with alt accounts/main accounts afk'd though out the zone. I'm simply asking for the opportunity to give others to actually see them and not just a chosen few.

But, back to the main topic of lag of which combatants of my proposition do say. If you're the better guild then you will kill it. Other guilds will be pulling them with the same amount of lag(honestly I doubt there would be any lag so you really shouldn't use this as a crutch any way but w/e). Having a server wide message won't change your ability to dial phone numbers one bit, it just lets the casual (98%) actually see content that one guild on the server has on lock down/spawn timers.

Oh, also it's pretty obvious to see what Avatars are due by just using /who in the zones. Thankfully, only a few guilds kill these so they are easier to keep track of what is due and what isn't via who is in the zone(sarcastic).
  12. slippery Well-Known Member

You'd make it so much easier to dominate them because I couldn't accidentally miss one by not camping.

All it would lead too is a ton of zone disruption and basically needing a GM at every Avatar spawn to police trolls.
  13. Balbasur Active Member

This isn't trying to stop the best raiding guilds/alliences on the servers, but to enable something that makes sense. There are server messages for mythicals that make Norrath stand still, there should be server messages for Gods, something far more powerful than mythicals in away(except for the old hm Drunder zones iirc you were supposed to have all 24 people in raid having one in order to kill something or another, but the devs scraped it), but the followers, npcs of the respective zones and diety historians do not know there presence in manifestant form in Norrath...C'mon man.

All other contesteds I agree should not have a server message as they are not an intricate part in Norrath, but Gods --> Avatars most definitely should.

deleted the names of guilds to avoid what guild is better arguments
  14. Luzionist Active Member

Actually if they made the spawn zones random that would add a little variety
  15. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I would agree to the server messages for the dieties. these are the most powerful beings that could be in this world outside potentially right now, Kerafyrm. if Sullon Zek, Tunare, Brell...any of them set foot on norrath, you'd think thier very presence would be worthy of notice...not to mention the faithful to them would probably feel something about them coming into the world itself as a manifestation of that faith....especailly the Hounds of War...who are trying to establish themselves as the new power of War.
  16. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Pick up raid tried to kill Marr. They thought it was a live event. Wiped in under 5 seconds. Many lols had.
  17. Alenna Well-Known Member

Please stop feeding the Troll
  18. Estred Well-Known Member

Watched a PuR try Sullon Death once... that went... badly for them to say the least.
  19. Darkholis Active Member

I know it's slightly off topic....

From EQ2 Play Nice Policies:
    2. You must comply with arbitration for contested spawns.
    • There are cases where two or more groups wish to kill the same NPC or hunt in the same area. In these cases, the groups are required to compromise.
    • If an equitable compromise cannot be reached between the players prior to EverQuest II Customer Service Staff involvement, the EQII CSR will mandate a compromise. Any such compromise is final and not open to debate. Refusing to abide by these terms will be considered disruption and may result in disciplinary action.
    • It is therefore strongly suggested that the groups make every attempt to reach a compromise that they can live with prior to involving an EQII CSR, who may mandate a compromise that does not suit you to the extent that a player-devised compromise would.
    • Note: A "group" in this case is defined as a party of one or more characters that are united in a common belief or goal and are capable of completing that goal.
    The problem I see in case of the avatars is the definition of who is capable because numerous raids (geared/undergeared) would like to give it a shot. Based on what's been said about avatars on these forums (in different threads) , they are so easy they can be done by a well geared/skilled 12 players raid.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far zone-disruption is:
    1- Pulling a contested encounter witout any compromise if multiple capable raids are present to contest the kill.
    2- Pulling the encounter knowing you can't kill it
    3- Going against GM's will.
    4- Trying to lag/crash/prevent the raid party from attempting to kill the mob such as: draging mobs through the raid, poping multiple repair bots, casting spells (particle effects)

I can't imagine all the lag/drama and pain for GMs if they have to police every single contested kill. :confused:

However, a server broadcast message would likely be in-line with lore stuff since everybody would be aware of such an event, followers and opponents alikes. (Avatar/deity coming to norrath)

Every single gold member have the right to do the same content so saying we're lazy and want it easy way is only half true.

Small bit of effort usually mean having someone 24/7 at the mob spawn point. That's what I call paranoia/fear to lose your precious mob. Some will say it's simply for a competition aspect and I call it BS. You simply don't want anyone to come contest the kill, so you're forced to have them in raid and/or have a shot at the loot, as stated by the EQ2 policy.
  20. Estred Well-Known Member

It may be "in-line with lore" but it would cause far more problems than any possible method of solving. Also as Slippery said... Server Wide Messages would just make it easier for the guilds killing them to get them as no longer would you have to watch multiple spawns for Rodcet/Tunare/Marr you could just wait till the game went

"Mithanial Marr has politely entreated X Guild to kill him"

The message may read different but that is essentially what it means.
    Elostirion likes this.