Server Outage Update?

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by MikeBob2023, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Robynous Well-Known Member

I want a sparkly pink fairy princess ball gown, too, please!! I am reasonable and don't need a dog embroidered on it, tho.

Of course, that would actually be kinda cool. We could see how many people would wear it!
  2. Anguisette Member

Your inability to use the quote feature on the forums indicates you never worked in IT. Your inability to understand the server is not down, chat is down and there is a vast difference between the two, indicate your lack of knowledge in IT.

I do like how you automatically go to a failsafe lackluster insult to attempt to establish some sort of dominance over someone else. However, you are right in being able to do with your own money your own thing. There are those who flee at the first sign of trouble, and those who stick it out because of a love for the game.

They have given information in game, in Discord and in the forums about chat being down. They should not need to hand hold and spoon-feed the same information over and over if the status of the issue has not changed. That is the only ridiculous thing said thus far. If you need to be handheld and spoon-fed, then maybe EverQuest II is not for you.

They only need to let us know something is wrong, and that something is being done. Both of which have been provided. The exact nature of what is wrong is not something we have a right to know, and if they do not have a timeframe estimate of when they feel it will be fixed, they should not just make one up to placate people who feel they have some unwarranted right to know.

Good day to you.
    Breanna and Celestia like this.
  3. Taled Well-Known Member

The chat functions are broken up into separate services; Some are locally integrated onto the specific server you play on (which is why some are still actively working) and some run on a service that communicates between the server you play on and the actual chat server(s) - which is the bit that is not working. They have the services connected the play servers with the chat servers turned off while they 'investigate a potential issue' - You can say 'We dont know this for sure without being a Darkpaw/Daybreak employee' all you like, but this is something that was spelled out clearly over the years from when Sony was in charge, up through to now. As I said in my previous post, there USED to be an offline chat mode that let you log in on the website to chat with your guild, in tells, etc. These are the services that are currently not functioning properly and it's all the things that *were* tied in to the chat server(s) tied to that service.

The people involved in fixing this type of outage have nothing to do with the prepping for the expansion launch. Sure, the higher-ups are involved in both, but the ones actually WORKING on the problem, and the ones actually WORKING on the expansion? Completely different jobs, completely different resources. It's not like Kaitheel is in the server room trying to figure out why the Chat Server isn't properly communicating with Maj'Dul.

Would it be good to have someone make a statement to that effect? Probably, but only so that people like you don't continually post stuff that has zero technical sense behind it stirring the pot to make them look bad.
    Breanna, Tkia, Twyla and 1 other person like this.
  4. Roxtar Member

[quote="
    Would it be good to have someone make a statement to that effect? Probably"[/quote]

Yes Please :)
    I also am bad at the quote feature. Minus 50 DKP
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Evilary Well-Known Member

Every time I say something you don't like, all of a sudden I'm stirring the pot. That is funny. I stated we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and gave examples of some people's potential fears. Do I know whether IT "Bob" who keeps the servers running has anything to do with the expansion? NO. Do I believe in today's world where companies assign a wide variety of jobs to a person that "Bob" sits on his hands and does nothing when things are running great and doesn't help in other areas? NO. And do I believe it possible you just try to stir up stuff to get people to hush and not have an opinion? YES.
  6. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The problem is that many of us don't have the technical expertise to even understand the problem if they articulated the process in a lengthy email, much less evaluate the information shared. I appreciate the need for information sharing, but at some point, you have to let people doing the job do it. That's why they don't let people in the operating room during surgery, in the repair shop when working on your automobile, or in the kitchen when they're cooking, and so forth. Information is great, but only to the point it serves everyone. Otherwise, the people trying to fix the problem are tied up explaining the technical side of the issues, which--even if they explained it doesn't mean any of us would understand it. So let's all agree that none of us--all parties involved--care for the situation and would love to have it fixed. So take a breath, the fate of the universe is not hanging by a thread and let's let them do what they need to do and have a little faith.
  7. Dante995 New Member

I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree.

What is being asked for is more like asking a nurse to give us a basic idea of what's going on. Or a mechanic a guestimate on costs. Or a cook what ingredients he will use. I don't know need to know what a star anise is to use it. I don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Pretty basic information. In fact, that's something that could be provided in all of those examples without going to the extreme. For any of those examples to say nothing would be unusual... I should add there might be info I simply haven't seen so I'm open to that.

I mean it does also involve basic functionality of a service most of us pay for. The draw of an MMO is it's social aspect whether you interact directly or indirectly. Obviously they want chat function back worse than we do, but it's starting to look worse and worse. I mean imagine what would happen in WoW, GW2, or FF14 started having the same problem and the kind of response you would expect.

Granted, I said in an earlier post that they probably couldn't work on it/get it worked on during the weekend so maybe that's most of our issue. Or they've been working on it this entire time *shrug* who knows?

Either way, I personally decided that I wouldn't hold it against them if we get some kind of major update by friday, not even a fix. I just got back in a month ago after not playing for years and I had just gotten to the level I made it to last time around and then this happens and my interest wanes XD. My lack of interest in things is another issue unrelated to the game though, but the chat problem does not help.

Anyway sorry to ramble, nothing I say is meant to be offensive and I also hope it works out but I'm trying to call it like I see it.
    Twyla likes this.
  8. Evilary Well-Known Member

They don't let people in the operating room during surgery but they do come out and update you on the progress.

They don't let you in a repair shop when working on your automobile but they do come out and update you on the progress.

They don't let you in the kitchen when they are cooking but the waitress comes out and updates you if it's taking longer than usual to prepare your meal.

So none of those examples were very good when a lot of the people in this thread are just asking for them to update us on the progress.
  9. Dante995 New Member

get out of my head lol
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh, I dunno how good my Ogre Bruiser dude would look in it, though my female Troll Illusionist would be over the moons about it! :D

But all I want for Frostfell is an extension on Nights of the Dead. :(

Uwk
    who's finished up with the Prelude stuff, so whenever... ;->
    Robynous likes this.
  11. Brewmyst Well-Known Member

Will there be an extension to NOTD by chance? It has been real hard to set things up to take the Headless Horseman out these last several days.
    Robynous and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I sent a PM to Angeliana and a Feedback on the Test Server thread for NotD to Kaitheel; crossing fingers! :)

Uwk
    Robynous likes this.
  13. DENSER Well-Known Member

Eh? We've sent PMs to the community manager to find out what's going on, or what will be done after ?
    With all due respect, we should consider changing the title of the job.
    It is in these moments of crisis that the CM is, should act.
    You look at what the position requires, it's clearly not the same job here.

Doing a rebus event, the one that makes itself understood in 5 images, without text, gains a little something .
    Use self-deprecation, to alleviate the problem.
    And I imagine other Ideas that could satisfy/entertain customers.
    Hoping that this serves as a lesson for (rarest possible) future problems.
    As already said, silence hurts greatly
  14. kaetlyn New Member

Paaalease.... stick it out when trouble comes up? Hello?
    Kaetlyn Oakfist

Birthdate:

2004-11-29

Played:

218d 5h 18m 2s

Server:

Halls of Fate

I'm not gonna argue with you... whatever.

Point being... this is beyond not acceptable. We all pay money for a service that is not being fully rendered. Of course we have every right to know *something*. Not asking for spoon fed... I'm asking for accountability.

At this point I'd like a refund for the expansion please.
  15. axxis32 Member

Your have totally missed the fact that you HAVE been give *some* information. Infact, it's on top of the forums in Red:
    "- We are currently investigating an issue with chat servers on NA worlds. Chat is currently unavailable for these worlds"

What more do you need? That IS *something* and yet you complain?
    tasnee likes this.
  16. Laughing Owl Active Member

Ahh the joys of support, its impossible to please all the people ANY of the time....

While yeah its frustrating, and not good, but stuff happens.

My only complaint is DBG poor track record on giving updates. So we really don't know if there IS a change and they just haven't posted or if its the same "Working on it, no new news".

Example: The MOTD will reflect the LAST maintenance often until the day before the NEXT maintenance, but it will be warning of a reboot for a week+ AFTER the reboot occurred.

Even if just blanked out, before servers are taken down (or as part of the take down), the MOTD really should be reset. When the important message of the day is, Warning servers will be rebooted last week.,... you learn the chance of timely communications is low.

So honestly yes as proper customer service:
    Periodic updates should be given...
    Even if it is: Sorry no new news, we are working on it no ETA at this point; an update of some kind should be given at least daily,
    Likewise: CMs and the like, that aren't working directly on the 'issue'; should be at least considering and acknowledging secondary impact: I.E. NotD (HH is much harder with no global chat, and as mentioned since it is a social game, mindless gathering/crafting/etc for other NotD events is much less appealing without ability to chat), so for both of these there honestly should be at least consideration of something to offset... (either extension to window, 'gift pack' to offset increased difficulty of gaining rewards, etc)
  17. Strings Well-Known Member

I really really want this fixed but some little part of me wants to see what happens if NotD ends up getting extended so long that NotD and Frostfell are happening at the same time. The city decorations would be so cool. Like Nightmare Before Christmas
  18. Celestia Well-Known Member

People keep saying update update update! Look, if they had an update they would have posted it on the top by now. Things have yet to change it sounds like, we asked for one, they gave it to us. I’m sure they would update us if things had changed but they haven’t. I get people are upset I really do, but at this point? Nobody is helping by asking constantly, threatening to quit playing, saying they want a refund or requesting some compensation.

And if they DO give us something for compensation, let it be AFTER they finish fixing things. They clearly have enough to deal with right now.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Tkia and Bhayar like this.
  19. Bhayar Well-Known Member

When was the last time you were actually in the hospital, repair shop or a restaurant? The surgeon comes out when he or she is done, the repair shop tells you when they're finishing up to start the payment process or they give you a date to come back when they're done when you drop the vehicle off. Kitchen staff don't show up to tell you the progress of the meal. Yes, if surgery is extremely long, you might get a periodic update, but as a normal practice, forget about it. Someone from the shop, if something went really wrong and it's now going to double the time, might say something similar to "this is going to take a lot longer. Let us drive you home and we'll call you when we're done. The point is those are rare situations, not routine practices. We've been getting updates, but many of you appear to want hourly reports on specific issues. It's never happened in the 15+ years I've been playing the game. So take a breath and relax. Yes, it's inconvenient as hell and I get that, but if you can't deal with this situation without collapsing from anxiety, then prep yourself for the day when something really ugly happens, because you won't be able to deal with it.
    tasnee likes this.
  20. Anguisette Member

I said good day.