Server Merge's Please.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Pownsta, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Pownsta Member

I would like to ask that SOE Dev's maybe look into Server Merge's Please. There are some servers that are very low populated that are making finding groups and broker sales unbearable. I like playing the game, but its hard for me and my wife to find groups / rraids either together or solo. If you would please look in to server population and maybe consider merging some low populated servers together, that would be great. But at this point. we are really discouraged to carry on anymore.

Thanks for reading SOE
  2. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Wow, has it been a week already? Where does the time go?
  3. Jrral Active Member

Server names? It helps if we know which ones you're talking about. In the cases of the PvP and some international servers, there's no other servers to merge into.
  4. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

yea wondering when this dead horse was going to be revived, there is no indication that a server merge will get you groups or raids
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

There's a greater chance of getting groups and raids with a higher population. More people looking for groups.

Certainly I've noticed on Everfrost that now the first few months have passed and the really hardcore players have got fully geared out, grouping has reduced. It's not terrible, but it's much harder to fill group spots than a month ago, especially outside peak times.
  6. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

It has always been hard to fill groups outside of the normal peak time periods, with school the early morning or late evening off peak times are notorious for not being able to fill traditional groups. Sometimes thinking outside the box works wonders for group makeup. Have played with a group that consisted of 1 conjuror, 1 necro, 1 druid, 1 Templar, 1 ranger and 1 druid. It has been my experience that really hardcore players rarely if ever group outside of their guild or group of longtime friends.

If you look at server status right now the only server that shows a low population is Nagafen which given it's status in understandable, the rest of the servers are medium to high attendance. Now check it after midnight in your time zone would be willing to bet that most servers will be low to medium attendance. Now come back and check with school is out and suspect that the status would show more medium attendance servers will be shown during off-peak times then it would be during the school year. I am disregarding the German, EU English, Japanese, French, Russian servers, in fact Nagafen and these servers are the only ones that show low attendance at the moment

A server merge would make the peak times in contested zone unbearable. By the way at this time Everfrost is one of the high attendance servers
  7. Darkon Well-Known Member

Crushbone has like 10 raiding guilds all clearing AS. Please no more people. Lol.
  8. Voxom Member

Guk could probably use more friendships. Maybe Guk + Unrest/Oasis? Hell, combine all three so it can be AB or FP status.
  9. Regolas Well-Known Member

Hey I was just pointing out an observation. You can disagree, and I'm not actually asking for a merge, but your initial comment about server merges won't make forming groups easier is wrong. Bigger pool of players will always mean more opportunities.

Plenty of hardcore players PUG also, especially for the easier stuff.

My experience is that each server has a core of a few hundred people that want to group regularly. They play a lot at the start of xpacs, but once geared out they stop grouping as much and as a result less groups form. I've seen it happen since SF xpac (first one I was part of from the start).

And lol at the server status feedback amounts. Most servers are medium even in the dead of night according to those.
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

eh, you are right I guess that it wouldn't promise more groups for you. but it's a general rule that
    more people=more groups, common knowledge really

idk where to begin with how wrong this is.
    I will say you are right it's hard to fill groups outside of peak times. but it's also hard to fill groups inside of peak time (people are raiding during peak time, shocker I know).
    also with how low the populations on some servers have got (in comparison to years ago). I would bet the servers could handle more people easily (as atleast handle as good as they are now anyway).
    and really, everfrost isn't that high on pop, although it isn't a solid estimate you can usually get a good round about server pop by the amount of raid guilds
  11. Pownsta Member

I am a paying customer like the rest of you. I pay for 2 accounts. Not much, 15.00 bucks a month. As a customer, all i was asking if it is possible to server merge some of the servers together so that way, more people could have a decent server to play on. More people to play with means, more groups, pick up raids, and better broker prices.

We came over from world of warcraft, expecting the same type of population. ( I should have done research ) I know they have 6 million subscribers, and Eq2 only has like maybe a few hundred per server. ( from what i seen )

So like i asked, could SOE Dev's maybe look into Server Merge's Please. We just want good population servers and better broker prices. Thanks for your time.
    Feara likes this.
  12. Charlice Well-Known Member

Things can't be too bad on Funrest with 3 Vesspyr zones generally up, can they? The game is very much top heavy I'll give you that, but I'm guessing WoW is now too.

What server are you on?
  13. Ranga Active Member

To be fair, server status is not an indication of anything except possibly how busy a given server is in relation to the others probably at that time ONLY. SoE intentionally hide numbers so if a server is listed as 'high population' what does that mean?

Additionally, the number of 'server merge' threads is probably equal to the number of 'server lag' threads lol.
  14. Ucala Well-Known Member

Soe can't even pull the real numbers anyway that's why they think the server is more populated than it is.
    there was another thread about this where Faldeon has the number of toons logged in over a 3 month period. inaccurate data as easily explained in that thread :p

all I really know though is that over the years. the population has in fact went down. but server lag seems to be consistent no matter how many people on a server :p
  15. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Where are all these mythical people I keep hearing about who are unable to find groups? I am on Permafrost, one of the lower population servers, and I see people forming groups in LFG chat all the time. I generally don't PUG all that often, but when I feel like it, I am never unable to do so. There are plenty of people out there to group with, you just have to make an effort to be social and network. Joining an active guild helps a ton, as well.

The game is old, top-heavy, and cliquey. Many of us have been playing together on the same server for half a decade or more. It takes some effort to break into the culture, you can't expect to get groups on-demand when nobody has ever heard of you. EQ2 is a pretty skill-intensive game, you can't just pick 5 random people and expect to do well. People tend to be naturally hesitant to group outside of their existing network of friends, because a lot of us have been burned by terrible PUGs in the past (no offense, lovers of squishy- faced dogs).

Server merges are a huge pain, extremely disruptive to the server culture, and do not solve the issue of grouping. Believe me, I am speaking from experience, here. It may seem like common sense says, "more people, more groups", but it really turns into "more people to ignore in favor of my existing clique, more lag".
    Finora likes this.
  16. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

No kidding! Freeport's "welcome to all servers F2P now" gift was...here's the population of the Bazaar server, have fun!!! Freeport has never been the same since.
    Estred likes this.
  17. Mae- Well-Known Member

Having been through several merges both here and EQ1, I can say that from what I witnessed, merges rarely result in more groups. If you were "unable" to get groups before because of playtime, reputation, or whatever, it generally carries over. Sure, there are more people, but they're all doing the same things they were doing before. There might be MORE groups out there, but the same people who "couldn't" get groups before still won't be getting groups.

Edit to add: Server merges are a pain in the butt. Just ask anyone currently on Unrest about the PR debacle... And that was simply an ongoing argument for months over the proper initials to use for a certain zone name!
    Finora and Charlice like this.
  18. Charlice Well-Known Member

I think it simply became known as 'the plat run'. those were the days. ;)
  19. Eileithia Active Member

I always find it funny when I see:

Tank LFG - Heroics..
    Necro LFG - Heroics..
    Bard LFG - Heroics..

Add in another 8 or so people... This cycles about 5-6 times before one of them realizes there's at least a full group "LFG" but nobody's taken the initiative to start sending invites..

To all the people who can't find groups.. start forming your own... "Group LFM" generally receives a lot more tells than "DPS LFG."
    Finora, Avahlynn, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  20. Pownsta Member

I did find this link. it shows the server population stat's of each server. https://www.soe.com/status

But if you go to make charterer selection screen, and get all the way threw to server selection, What is being displayed on server selection screen in game, is not the same as in the link.

Can we get a in-game vote or a poll or something. May we please here from a official SOE Dev or employee?