RNG

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Neiloch, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I guess I can see that reasoning Kham. I mean if you need 'filler' loot you only need a few. But then they could just weigh their chance differently. So for example instead of 3 bad pieces and 1 good one all 25%, they would just make the 1 bad piece at 75% and the good one stay at 25%. It would solve the problem of too much bad loot but really wouldn't up the chance of good stuff, or rather they wouldn't allow it.
  2. Koko Well-Known Member

I'll emphasize that RNG and "super overpowered compared to next best in slot item" don't go well together. Here are some examples;
    Any charm from Ages End x2
    High Hold Event Earring
    Dino Event Earring
    Players without these items are less desirable, and doing these zones and not getting a drop is very depressing because it indicates you cannot compete with those who do. However RNG not favoring someone does not have to be gamebreaking frustrating! Simply don't make the items overpowered compared to the next best item. Again for example,
    For most heroic characters, the Super EV Charm is best in slot. It almost never drops, I run the zone about 5 days a week looking for it. It dropped once, I didn't win, it happens. However, I didn't feel near as bad as whenever I lose a HH Event Earring.

Why? Because there isn't a huge power gap between what I already have and what I want. I can still compete with players who have the Super EV Charm. I'll still continue to farm the Super EV Charm. I'm not soul-crushed when I lose the roll on the Super EV Charm. It is still desirable, I'll keep farming it, it just isn't stupid. If there was a easily-obtainable-HH earrings (and other similar items for every other piece of jewelry that exists) with 30 less primary stats on it players wouldn't be up in arms about it.
  3. Reevar Active Member

4. Vasco Active Member

RNG god is hating on me. Over 10 chest drops, no robe!
  5. Widem Active Member

This is exactly correct.

This is specifically why you don't give low chance BIS items to casual players. It ruins itemization progression.

What casual players, heroic players, raiders, and yes even crafters need are items that are powerful in their own right in gameplay.

I want raid procs on solo gear, just tone it down. You can easily have a solo item procing 15 WDB and heroic one procing 30WDB and a raid one procing 60WDB....and a crafting item procing +100 progress.
  6. Neiloch Well-Known Member

For a quick example of a possible solution is the 'combinable items' such as this this DLC's 'Marauder's Guile' is a very good solution/workaround to this games terrible RNG.

There's also no reason why solutions couldn't be mixed and matched as well, just as long as everything (except for maybe ancients and mythicals) have a system in place to put a definite end to an items chase. It would instantly change this games RNG from something abhorred to something revered because from time to time it would give them their items BEFORE they hit those ceilings.
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to take this back since almost immediately after live it became apparent the drop rate of these belts is also governed by the terrible RNG opposed dropping 100% of the time, and since you need multiples of them to get the final result it COMPOUNDS problems with RNG rather than alleviate. I congratulate you in finding a way to make this terrible system worse. I am genuinely curious if it could be made worse by introducing other terrible elements.

Although people I know who can multi-box don't seem to mind as much since they can basically solo the zones and keep any belt drops for themselves, cutting the curve down substantially.
    Jrel likes this.
  8. Wintir Active Member

My RNG has always been the pits :rolleyes:

I need an RNG Deity to whom I can sacrifice dropped loot to raise my faction here :)
    Charlice likes this.