RNG

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Neiloch, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Gninja Developer

This is one of those "I can't go to bed yet, because someone on the interwebs is wrong" type conversations.

Everyone has their own idea on what is considered better. The current RNG isn't some 10 page long calculation. Its "How many items are on the table? Oh, 4? Okay, they each have a 25% chance of dropping." Its about as simple as simple can be... You may see one person get the drops they want more often than you but that's the nature of random. I shouldn't have to defend that. It was fun debating it with you for a bit.
  2. Widem Active Member

Which goes back to poor itemization.

Most of the items in this game are utter garbage, so it makes it appear worse than it actually is.
  3. Neiloch Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have to defend a system people have a problem with? That's just ridiculous.
  4. Gninja Developer

The concept of the system is simple enough where we should not have to defend it.
  5. Enigma Active Member

It's fine to have RNG however at the end of the day there has to be a means to obtain a targeted item after of certain amount a time. This would not be a issue if all items where of the same level of quality but in this case that's not the true as some fabled items could be legendary while some legendary items could be fabled quality and in most cases there is like only 1 item desired in the entire loot table of a zone.
    konofo likes this.
  6. Enigma Active Member

I don't see the problem with adding a merchant to buy the items you want...i mean it worked in TSO and it worked nearing the end of ToV so i don't see why it would affect AoM in anyway now.
  7. Silzin Active Member

I understand what you and all of the others are saying here. but at what point is it statistically impossible to not get that drop. if "THAT" Drop has a 25% chance on dropping (1 in 4) and some one kills that mob 20 times and does not see it... Or at the same point if a drop is "Rare" and has a 5% change on dropping (1 in 20) and they go 100 or 200 times and does not see "That Rare" item drop is it not working right? Or is a item has a <1% change of being harvested and some one has harvested 10,000 times does it become statistically impossible and there is something wrong with the system as is.

the more Common items (1 in 4) is fine and i think they are ok, I think its the rare items we are talking about here.

8. Gninja Developer

We tend to put those sort of things in toward the end of the specific expansion cycle. Obviously we will need to reevaluate that going to a different content scheme but we will figure it out. Regardless those other expansions didn't get those things added till a couple months before the next expansion.
  9. Gninja Developer

Rare items are setup the same way but instead of 25% they are 8% or whatever that specific rare table is set to. It rolls a 1-100 if its 8 or below it drops.
  10. Ambi Member

That's absolutely not true. I know TSO was years ago, but that merchant was not put in "a couple months" before SF was slated to release. We were graced with that merchant well before the halfway point of TSO.
  11. Enigma Active Member

Ancient spells from levels 91-100 are very rare and perhaps too rare :( Like i don't expect to actually get one throughout AoM life cycle unless changes where made. When i first heard we would be able to get ancient spells during the SoE live i was very interested until that little bit of info came by about how horribly rare they are and i said well yup i guess should act as if they don't exist in the game :(
  12. Gninja Developer

It would be different if ancient spells were required to complete content. Same can be said for a lot of items. You don't need that really nice jewelry item from Ossuary Event zone to beat raid content. it is awesome to have but its not required.
  13. Gninja Developer

Typically zones are balanced to the normal drops not the rare stuff. At least in most cases.
  14. Jrel Well-Known Member

I wish I had known I had been wasting my time trying to get ethereals and mysticals by constantly running zones. Wasted my time trying to better my character chasing after other rare items. Passionate, dedicated players aren't rewarded any more than super casuals who log in a few times a week. I'm over it now, but I just don't care anymore.
  15. Enigma Active Member

That's true however whats the point of having said items in game if in the long they will most likely be unobtainable? And by the time you do get an ancient spell it will be outdated by the next tier? Item's and i mean all items should have a reasonable length of time to obtain them before the next xpac or tier hits the game.
  16. Widem Active Member

Don't worry guys....he said they will possibly fix it next xpac...in 7 months
  17. Lostmymind New Member

Your idea of random is severely broken and unbalanced. Unless of course there's more to it, and you're not being completely open. Dialogue and transparency is not something SOE/DBG is known for.
  18. konofo Active Member

Yes, the concept is simple, but that doesn't imply there is any virtue in it.

Sure, it's perfectly acceptable at a macro level, where you can set your weights and lockouts and arrive at a desired rate of entry for any given item. But players don't play at a macro level, and we humbly request there be a hard cap on disappointment per person per zone.

kono
    Neiloch and Ambi like this.
  19. Kham Active Member

lets be real, your RNG is, your randomly going to get one of these ****** pieces of useless gear with equal chances at each, then once in a blue ******* moon this rare item will drop to keep people running the zone, and once in 3 blue moons the good rare item will drop cuz lol some scrub somewhere has to have a good day. like the ranged mythicals for instance.

Sums up Daybreak RNG.

'Im just wondering how many people need more Scone of the deep freeze charm ect with bad effects or bad clickies or useless ability mod dps necklaces or lets have negative cb / pot half the time rings. Why cant there be a solution to this that doesn't change the RNG so much for rare items but actually makes the other items worth equipping over charms or jewelry from 2 xpacs ago. yes, 2. This doesn't even factor in that 3/4th the rare loot is garbage. how many tanks really would use **** like united front on a charm. there are to many terrible examples to list.

In short, fix itemization, and people wont complain nearly as much about how terrible your rng is.

oh ya, for the love of christ can we take the aoe auto atk belts and cloaks off the itemization list while we are talking about terrible loot, thats one annoying rng factor to deal with that kinda sucks. this is like raid drops here. i would rather see multi attack and dps as bad as that sounds, but they don't have nearly as reachable of a hardcap.
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

In TSO tokens were MUCH harder to get then ferrin are this expac. I can get more ferrin in a day then I could get marks in a week in TSO (on a single toon). And even then the merchant was not added in until well into the expac.