Resolve is still terrible and getting worse.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Montag, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montag Well-Known Member

Can we please drop this nonsense. It''s better to have raid content get killed too easily than to have to sunset the game cause more and more guilds folded over this cheap way to avoid balancing stats.
  2. Xavion Well-Known Member

i just wish resolve actually worked as a bonus mit boost to mobs that don't use resolve in older content
  3. Azian Well-Known Member

At a minimum, they should remove the player buff aspect of it and just put it on gear. Failing a resolve type check because I'm a new recruit and can't survive challenge Goortuk due to my heroic gear is one thing. The whole raid failing because two of your dedicated raiders are moving across the country, another one is on an international business trip and a handful of others are on vacation is just needlessly punitive. Alternately, make the buff self only if they feel they must.
    Xillean, Anoxia, Wirewhisker and 3 others like this.
  4. Montag Well-Known Member

I mean if they want to cause raid guilds to fold and destroy alts (which are huge to the lasting power of this game) and push this game into collapse, resolve is awesome for that.

The harm that will be caused by content being consumed too quickly will be far less than this population killer.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  5. Justbecause Active Member

Its called phasing out the items people just spent hours, days, weeks, months getting. Gotta keep ya coming back for more... Lol I don't disagree, it's just what I see from their perspective. I went to a bigger guild and resolve problem solved. Honestly there are too many guilds with 6-12 players who refuse to move or form an alliance. Some players don't want the shorthanded guilds earning the same rewards as the other guilds with 24 players. Double-edged sword. I really hope the stats get brought back down or stays the same until everything else can be adjusted. This inflation is killing the gameplay also.
  6. Montag Well-Known Member

A) I bet your old guild is loving life right now.

B) The problem isn't that resolve is stopping 6-12 players from doing x4s - it's that it's stopping 22 players from doing x4s. And also stopping 24 players from doing x4s cause alts cant make the resolve check and be swapped in for needed classes for particular encounters.

The players hate resolve.

Resolve is causing guilds told and players to leave the game.

Resolve is a lazy way to avoid balancing gear progression and is more harmful to the future of the game than bad gear progression.

Ever since Verant ran EQ1 it's been year after year of sabotaging these games populations with brilliant work sabotaged by boneheaded ideas like resolve.

If it's just to put a "you must use current content items whether they are better or not" check then please just make it an individual check. The raid-wide sharing of resolve is absolutely killing guilds and going to further reduce the population.
  7. Justbecause Active Member

That guild I left didn't last long after. I cannot speak for all servers but for mine there aren't a lot of raiding options. You have this guild here with 10 people another there with 11, another there with 18, so of course the players will hate it. They have been sitting there popping recruiting messages in open world and having no luck but refuse to do what they have to for a full raid to happen. So is it their fault? Partially. The low population isn't but the inability to setup something up is.

This whole resolve thing is a control. Without a control I see the game hitting multiple road blocks. There have been a lot of firsts for this expansion. Not talking about the parsing either. If a control would have to be in place to cover the inflation what/how would you make it? Being serious I am curious what others have in mind because I am not so convinced that gear will suffice.
  8. Montag Well-Known Member

Ya so let's find another control that doesn't result in this thing I predicted months ago.
  9. Estal Well-Known Member

1: Get rid of resolve buffs.
    2: Use average resolve from gear only across the group / raid as resolve check.
    Malleria and Livejazz like this.
  10. Trabu Member

I think the easiest thing to do would be to remove buff and stacking aspect of Resolve and just increase the resolve on every piece of gear by 11pts. So if you currently have an average resolve of 6pts per piece on your character (126/136 resolve solo) You would now have a 17pt average resolve for a total of 357 (17x21) resolve which would allow you survive in raid without needing 24 players to make the resolve check. Up your gear to what is currently 7pt gear and you are now at 378(18x21) which I believe gets you into t2 Zek.
  11. Justbecause Active Member

I think if you make the gear the resolve check you are essentially going to bar entrance into the raid zones on day one. At that rate I don't see the point in having resolve to begin with then. I have always been for the mobs being the progression check. Stop recycling the strats. It is really getting old. And DPS should never trivialize current content. Putting a damage reducer on everyone doesn't change anything when you release BiS items for little to no effort. Advanced solos/7 year old quests/buying shiny collections. If you are going to make the gear super easy to get you might as well let shorthanded players have at whatever content they want to attempt.
  12. Shawn v01 Member

if you want my honest opinion...
    Resolve isn't that great as it is right now. Mainly has a lot to do with the fact that no matter what I do with gears and even keeping PVM and Raid sets on hand...it seems that resolve only goes so far.
    If resolve boosts are to be set to gear only, then that will work.
    However...uh...well...nevermind.
    I'm just going to shut up right there...don't wanna stick my foot in my mouth.
  13. Entropy Well-Known Member

Resolve on gear is fine. It controls progression and makes people responsible for one more thing to care about for their toon. No worries.

Resolve also on raid buffs is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in my 20 year history of playing MMOs. There is NO reason to artificially kill short handed raids. The irony of them having ACHIEVEMENTS for many years for something they have now implicitly killed is... staggering.
    Montag and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. Trabu Member

Look I know putting it back on the gear will open the door for issues that Cit Mit had. You spend time getting people geared out only to have them leave the guild and take the shiny gear with them. I think this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that low resolve is not a death sentence like low CM was. They can still dps and take some damage with low resolve I think it caps at a 50% increase in damage taken / 50% decrease in dps, but I could be off on that. I think that is better then punishing a whole raid force because they only have 18-20 players on and they cannot do any raid content because the resolve numbers are north of 360 and the raid wide resolve is averaging around 330-340 because of the 6 missing players.
  15. Justbecause Active Member

50% damage increase when the damage from resolve requirements met will already practically kill you with a 1 shot without wards. That is out of this world ridiculous. If GU101 is any indication of how the expansion will be tons of non-shamans walking out the door.

Why did we go away from resist/mit/avoidance checks? - Who needs it when Potency+Wards overlaps all of it
    Why did we all of sudden make specific legendary items more desirable than fabled? - You guessed it more potency
    Why is there bleed through with out of control damage already? - Realized there was too much potency

Resolve has spawned a lot more crap than even just itself. If it is that difficult to make resolve work then flat out it doesn't need to be in the game. If this mechanic was intended to bring everything down then why on earth did everything else still go the other way? Stackable raid buffs or not this will only send the dps/heal issue further out into the middle of the ocean.
    Wirewhisker and captainbeatty451 like this.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

I can understand and appreciate what I think is the idea behing raid-wide resolve buffs, but there is one major problem with it that has nothing to do with short-handed raids... Cascade Failure.
    Say a raid is managing the fight, but it's tight.. as soon as somebody dies, it gets 10-15% harder.. which causes more people to die, causing everybody to lose more resolve, causing more people to die.....
    Wirewhisker, Belenos, Tekka and 2 others like this.
  17. Trabu Member

The 50% is I believe the max it goes. One of the Dev's explained the how Resolve works on a post when it came out. For every point your toon is short of the mobs resolve number you will take 1% more damage and do 1% less damage. I also believe he stated that this caps at 50%. So it is not out of this world ridiculous. If you walk into a raid zone with solo gear you deserved to get your *** handed to you. If you go in with mostly Heroic level gear you should take slightly more damage then someone with raid gear. That brings progression back to the zones.
  18. Trabu Member

This is the other BIG issue with the buff - I've seen this happen on more then one instance. A couple toons drop and next thing you know the tank is taking 20-30% more damage.
  19. Justbecause Active Member

If you wear those items and meet the resolve then there should be no issue correct? But there is. That is the point. Then you take into consideration the players who don't have the resolve or are shorthanded and it piles on even further. These changes that are massacring raiders and their forces are all due to resolve. Receive more/Deal less damage --> Add astronomical amounts of potency/fervor to compensate --> Make the high potency items legendary VS Ethereal (Which takes a massive part of the summer for your average player) --> Now that you have so much potency Defilers are basically unkillable so add bleed through. You see where this is going now?
  20. Trabu Member

I agree that there is a cascading issue with all of stat bloat. The problem starts with gear progression, the player base howls when heroic & raid gear is only a slight upgrade over the Sig quest gear. I think it was ToV or so when the stat progression was only increasing by .2 or.3 for each tier and people were ******** because why should they work so hard stuff that only gave them a marginal increase over solo play. So then began the stat inflation again, and in last three expansions we've seen raid gear go from stats in the mid 100's to 500-600. That is an insane increase in stats. Doubling every expansion. How do we correct the problem without making all gear currently gained obsolete in one fell swoop?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.