Refining (suggestion?)

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by SideshowBob, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Caela Well-Known Member

OMG - I nearly fell out of my seat. After nearly 1000 commons, I got 1 rare. So far the refining rate is 2% overall - with 1.9% being HQ slag, and .10% being rare.

There is nerfing, and there is massacring it all to hell. I could accept that rate if I was doing stacks of 200 at a time with a moderate cooldown period. But 4000 clicks for that rate, makes the ability useless.
    Emms, EvilHomer, BettyBoop and 2 others like this.
  2. Mins New Member

I would so love not to have to do them ONE AT A TIME - ugh.

Problem is they dont do anything in moderation, so they would make it a long timeout.

I'd say maybe something like, 200 a time with a 3 min cool down, which is saying that a person could do a stack in 200 seconds, which is 3 min, takes me longer but i figured there are those super fast clickers out there

Still need/want to crunch fish too
    EvilHomer and Guiscard like this.
  3. Caela Well-Known Member

The best I have been able to do is 200 in ten minutes, and that drives me bonkers.
    Guiscard likes this.
  4. Mins New Member

*wispers*

when dealing with programers who have the tendency to go far left and far right - we start low and expect it to go up, *nods* see if i say 10 mins then they set it to 30 mins, if i say 3 mins then i might get lucky and get 10 mins...

;)
    Guiscard likes this.
  5. Catin of Runnyeye Member

Again an Nerf that makes the spending of Prestige Points in a line a pointless or nearly so. When there was a reasonabe chance of obtaining a Purifed Rare from refining a common harvestable with a sucess rate of about 1% (allowing for occasionaly getting 2) it was a very attractive option. Now that the sucess rate is well below 0.5% it is a lot less attractive.

Refining rares is still worth it assuming the sucess rate at round 50% but there is no other reason to take Refining.

Of course this nerf will keep Plat Merchants happy , so somebody wins.
    EvilHomer, BettyBoop and Guiscard like this.
  6. SideshowBob Active Member

It's way worse than you can imagine... My roomie, who works on a production line and is used to mindnumbingly repetitive tasks, finished refining her THIRTEENTH STACK of common metals (ore, amethysts, and iridium - with four stacks of each time to get a good sample size) since the servers came up this morning, minus the brief downtime to "fix" the broker.

This is what she has as of this moment:
    Just over twelve stacks of low quality slag
    37 High quality vendor trash slag
    ONE purified tungsten ore

NO ONE can tell me that ONE rare in 2,500 refines is acceptable... I don't care how much you're trying to justify it in order to preserve your obscenely priced rares on the broker, this was WAY overkill nerfed up the you-know-what!
  7. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Ouch. I haven't used refining way too much yet (maybe have refined 1k total?) but it was cool to occasionally get a purified rare, even though that was, well... rare. I was curious how the change affected it.. 0.1% chance is insane. Simply makes it not worthwhile to refine commons at all anymore.
    Pijotre and Guiscard like this.
  8. Guiscard Active Member

That whole prestige line needs to be taken out of the game - points refunded and put back on test with some real testing done along with the involvement of the developer in charge. We need to know what they expect the results to be and we need to tell them what the results are and what we think.

In the old days before we had only a part time TS developer, Domino would have been in the forum interacting with people in these threads. And more importantly she would have had a good testing design set up for beta. I don't think that there ever was a test plan for TS in beta.

Currently they listen to whiners, make changes and ruin everything and pretend they don't notice that players are unhappy.
    EvilHomer, BettyBoop and Pijotre like this.
  9. Avianna Well-Known Member

What has happened is they have taken mechanic that the idea behind it is good to breath some life back to crafters and at the same time deal with the huge overflow and influx of harvests that are coming into game and make those harvests worth something again. But the failure comes in when that mechanic takes up ALL of my game time standing in one place clicking the same 4 buttons over and over again, but then insult is added to injury by nerfing that mechanic to provide such a minute reward that only the botters and people who have programs or keyboards they can macro to repeat such mundane tasks are gonna do it. It got nerfed so that people who sold rares on the broker for 75plat each could continue to do so. same with the gobby.

How to fix it from here?
    1.) Take the one at a time bologna out of it, make the spell an instant across the board and depending on how many points you put into it you can refine up to a stack at a time 1=1 2=25 3=50 4=100 5=200.
    2.) Make the chance of getting a rare from common harvests about 1 stack= 1 rare.
    3.) Make the dropped rare from common harvestables a normal rare rather that a purified rare.
    4.) allow only low quality slag and normal rares to come from common harvests, allow only HQ slag and purified rares to come from refining rares.

Why do I want the above changes?

1.) This for me is the most important, I want a solution to the influx of harvests that is efficient and not going to take me all day and is a better option than the destroy button, as it is right now I would rather destroy the mats then sit there clicking all day.
    2.) This makes the reward for refining seem like a reward rather than a lotto winner.
    3.) This helps to keep the cost of rares down while at the same time makes the commons worth a little something again and keeps the market viable for pure rares.
    4.) This is so that the reward is not too overpowered by giving you a rare plus a bunch of coin from commons. While if purifying a rare and screw up at least you get a consolation prize out of it.
  10. Ynnek Well-Known Member

#1 - Agree in principal. It must be changed from per item, to per stack, or it's nothing but carpel tunnel syndrome waiting to happen. The details of how many per point, or how often per point (cool down) is flexible.

#2 - Disagree on the rare chance, too high. We'd be back to every goblin run, every pony run, every guild harvester run, being 4-6 rares. I could personally crank out 50+ rares per evening at that rate (using very conservative math) - pull another 100 from each full depot. I like the idea, but 200 commons -> 1 rare is just too high an exchange rate.

#3 - Fair
    #4 - Fair

(I'll do real math on #2 instead of from memory on a postit note math, when I get back to the guild hall and the goblin resets)
  11. Avianna Well-Known Member

Ynnek I would agree with you that that number could possibly be to high of a return rate especially for the player that has zillion alts each with the pony and gobby they would be in rare heaven. So maybe that number needs to be re-thought out to maybe 1 rare in 1,000 commons which is about what it is now. Doesn't really matter to me as long as I can do a stack at a time. That is what I really care about.Because even if it stayed at the 1,000=1 ratio that it seems to be at now refining that thousand would not take two hours and so it would still feel like a reward rather than a lotto win.
    Pijotre and EvilHomer like this.
  12. Ynnek Well-Known Member

6 toons. Average goblin pull is 800 commons per toon. 3 pulls an day. Would be 72 rares/evening at a 200:1 exchange rate. Assume the commons that weren't terribly common until now go into the guild depot, keeping only the items that most folks have oodles of, 57 rares a day. Guild harvesters would be the same as a 7th toon. Can't speak for my pony, I seem to have misplaced him.

I lean more towards an ideal rate of 2000:1. It all depends on what you feel the 'proper' rarity, and 'proper' cost of rares is, and what you feel the intent of the ability is. The intent of the ability is turning rares into refined rares, and converting extra commons into something worth something to sell. Rares from commons, is just an occasional bonus - not a primary intent of the ability.

But as you say, it's the 800 clicks per stack (or is it 1400?), that has got to go, for the ability to be of *any* use on commons.
  13. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Refining was never about turning commons into rares .. refining is about being able to boost crafted item's stats by 10%. That is the purpose of refining rares. I just cant understand the amount of complaining going on about this. When I first learned there was a chance to get a refined rare from commons and the rate was about 1%, I knew then it would be nerfed .. it needed to be nerfed or rares would soon be worthless.
  14. Caela Well-Known Member

Sure it was. If it wasn't, the mechanic wouldn't be there.

Just because you don't think people should be refining commons and getting rares doesn't mean it's not a valid game mechanic.
  15. Guiscard Active Member

What's wrong with 1% - thats 1 out of 100 -- that is hardly too high for a lot of clicking -- ok maybe 1 in 200 but no lower. Otherwise just take the prestige ability out.

At some point development needs to start being honest with people. We need an honest answer as what the actualy percentages for positive results - they owe us that and if they don't feel they do then abolish the ability but they should stop lying and tryihng to fool us they they are giving us something wonderful.
    EvilHomer and BettyBoop like this.
  16. JesDyr Well-Known Member

"Refines raw harvestables into pure harvestables. An equipment item crafted with a pure primary component will have higher attributes."

The description seems to indicate the main reason for the skill. Hell .. making tungsten from rhenium isn't refining, it is alchemy.

See above. The skill is for making crafted gear better. Everything else was just 2ndary.
  17. Ynnek Well-Known Member

You're in the wrong thread for that argument. This is the thread where we're trying to convince them to let us refine Stacks at a time. Take the repetitive clicking out of it. Let it be based on the # of commons your converting, and # of points in the ability, not the number of clicks involved and how much physical suffering was required per rare.

They have been honest with us. They said it was a slight chance, and there was a slight chance. Now they said it was patched to be even rarer, and yup, it seems even rarer. While folks may not like the numbers, there's been no dishonesty here.

You can rant all you like. You want a free mass production rare factory. You want exact rare production chances. This is not a free mass production rare factory. It was never pitched as a free mass production rare factory. They have never given out rare harvesting chances (We've tried, Domino kept those close to the vest no matter how hard we tried). You've not been deceived or lied to. It's just not what you wanted.
  18. Caela Well-Known Member

My hope - as I've posted in this thread - is that points spent in the ability go toward the number refined at a time, up to 5 points = 200 commons. A moderate cooldown - it does not have to be instant - I'm not sure what a reasonable number is - maybe somewhere around 5-20 minutes. And a slight chance - somewhere along the lines of .1-.5%

I fail to see how "Refines raw harvestables into pure harvestables" does not translate into creating a purified rare out of common harvestables. If the game developers didn't want that to be the case, they would not have put the mechanic in. But the current implementation is "Refines raw harvestables into wrist injury and gouging out of eyeballs"
    EvilHomer, BettyBoop and Cyliena like this.
  19. Opeij New Member

The way the refining description is, I initially thought that commons would be able to be refined into refined commons, and rares into refined rares. Not commons into refined rares. That's silly, confusing, and why we're arguing so much now. Should give refining commons -> refined commons the same chance as rares -> refined rares, and take away the ability to refine commons -> rares. That's just silly, and ends up with people bickering about what "balanced" is. Make the ability do what it says it does, and allow things to be refined into refined versions of those same things, not refined versions of different things.
    Cyliena likes this.
  20. Avianna Well-Known Member

Anyone can use a purified ore and craft gear at a 10% bonus whether they have refining specked or not so this ability is not about that, the new rare created by refining is about that. The refining itself is the process of turning raw harvests into pure harvests. It has zero to do with gear or any 10% bonus.