Refining (suggestion?)

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by SideshowBob, Nov 16, 2012.

1. SideshowBob Active Member

Does anyone know if there is any kind of discussion in the works regarding tweaking the Refining ability? The suggestion I have is, perhaps with higher tiers of the ability, allowing us to refine more than a single raw at a time...? Maybe 1 additional raw per point? Maybe (if you're feeling generous) two raws per point?

I just know that between all of my crafters and their pack ponies, plus with the goblins, I'm literally up to my eyeballs in raw harvestables. Then when it comes time to start refining, I open my bags and see literally thousands of raws that I need to break down. It's at this point that I want to stick a rusty spork in said eyeballs rather than go through the monotonous task of clicking every single one. Thousands of times... :(
  2. Pijotre Well-Known Member

I agree!!!

It is extremly tedious to click 800 times to refine 1 stack of raw materials for their (very) slim chance to get a rare or high quality slag. Like SlideshowBob said, with the pack pony and the goblin we have thousands of extra raws that could only be destroyed for their broker price is 1c and noone needs them. There is absolutly nothing fun whatsoever in getting a medical injury from clicking that much. My hand already hurts after just 2 stacks making me wish for a clicking macro (Which I won't use as I know its exploiting). So I'd like to put my +1 to ask if the AA could be changed to increase the amount you can refine at the same time. Make the rares even rarer on the combine, I don't care, just please don't make me click (hmmm 35000 extra pelts and 21000 extra rhenium = 61000 * 4 =) 244000 times just to make something useful with those raws. It would also stabilize raw prices at a higher than 1c price and make all raws desirable again.
    Also would be cool if we could refine loam and food stuff for a random rare. I think in this way this ability would be much more meaningful than it currently is.
    EvilHomer and BettyBoop like this.
  3. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I've only bothered refining rares that make Mastercrafted Items. I'm not about to refine a billion standard roots or pelts or whatever to make regular Handcrafted items that no-one would want anyway.
  4. SideshowBob Active Member

Not sure if youre aware of this or not, but ALL harvestables, including standard harvestables, give the rare "purified metallic reptile hide" or "purified bubinga lumber", etc. Refining those billions of raws give you purified rares, thus you'd never "make regular Handcrafted items that no-one would want anyway." Crafted mastercrafted items using a purified rare gives the item +10% to all stats above what the standard harvestable rare would create.

You use the refine ability on regular harvested rares?! Considering the chance of obtaining a purified rare from a single harvestable is about 0.5%, I can't imagine refining a regular harvested rare. No matter how "cheap" they become on the broker, they're still useful and I'm not brave enough to try and just wind up with a Low Quality Ulteran Slag......
  5. Phubarrh New Member

Just tried Refine on a batch of rares, and a bit disappointed with my success rate of 20 percent (3 purified rares out of 15 attempted). Guess I'll have to farm a lot more to make it worthwhile...
  6. Mysstie Well-Known Member

Hmm.. wasn't aware that refining a standard root or pelt yielded a purified rare. All I've gotten from normal materials have been slag so far. Granted, I really haven't tried that many yet.

I've made a cloak from a purified root so I'm aware of the crafted differences. Might have better odds getting a rare from a refined normal item than harvesting one directly. Interesting..
  7. Caela Well-Known Member

I just refined 2000+ common harvests... (have not tried it on actual rares, seems too low to try)

I got 16 purified rares, and 27 HQ slag - if all my purified rares sell for what I put them on the broker for, I should get about 300+ plat from the 2000 harvests (HQ slag sells for 41 gold, LQ sell for 12c). But now I'm cross eyed and need carpel tunnel surgery :D

I see in the test notes, they plan to make the purified rares more rare - I think they are plenty rare enough. They also plan to reduce the rares from the goblin.
    EvilHomer and Pijotre like this.
  8. Pijotre Well-Known Member

I honestly wouldn't mind them reducing the rates on the common raws if they'd let us refine them in larger quantities you must have clicked 8000 times (2000 x 4 (1 to activate refining, 1 to refine the item, 1 to agree to refine it and 1 to accept the result)). I find that excessive and like you said it makes you crosseyed and gives you carpal tunnel syndrome. So the only ones who use it are people who ignore the pain like you or botters who use a program to script those clicks for them. So all I'm really asking is give all the same chance by letting us refine larger quantities of raws. The benefits are plentiful, less raws means higher prices for raws, us having a better chance w/o scripting gives no real advantage to farmers etc. etc.
    EvilHomer and BettyBoop like this.
  9. Sucuri Active Member

The only time I have used refine skill so far is when my harvest box is full and I can't do much with them otherwise... Your luck is a lot better then mine, refined stacks and stacks of raws, all I have gotten was 1 pelt o_O

After a few stacks of raws my ADHD kicks in and I just delete the stuff left over so I do not have to deal with it anymore :p
    EvilHomer likes this.
  10. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I just refind a stack of rare metal... god i was happy when finaly some get refined ^^
    Then i went on and craft a few refinded weapons.... only to notice.... 108 went up to 118 oO
    For the risk of refine, the reward just s.....ffers ^^
    EvilHomer likes this.
  11. Thetmes Active Member

I was thiking about this last night when I was working threw some stacks of raws. I think we should be able to refine up to 200 raws per use of the skill. If thats to much for SoE then raise the cool down for every raw used by 5 sec for every raw used above 1. Just let us do more with less clicking please its mind numbing. If there was an adventure quest that required this much clicking for a chance at the reward I am pretty sure it would be the least used quest in the game.
    EvilHomer likes this.
  12. Sucuri Active Member

I agree refine 1 stack a go, give it a 5% chance or so to get a rare that would normaly come off said stack. This would make refineing a less of a pain, and get rid of the flood of raws comming in from the new harvesting goblins at the same time.

I was a bit shocked to find out you could get the refined rare off breaking down raws to begin with, I figured it would just give you the normal rare for the tier, then you would try your luck to refine that into the new rare. An yea as Kalderon says I blow up a good 50% of the rares trying to refine them into the better rares, but then again rares are not really rare anymore truth be told...but the fact the new rare dosent realy add a whole lot to the peice you make is kinda sad (even more so at low levels).
    EvilHomer likes this.
  13. Caela Well-Known Member

I have now done 5000+ refines of raws. I wrote about the experience on my blog - along with some information on the rate at which you get HQ slag and rares - and a few tips. http://caelascorner.com/refining-101/

As I said in my blog - the ability is flawed. It's worthless without 5 points invested - instead it should have a moderate cooldown (2-5 minutes, heck I would even think 1-2 hours would be ok), and each point allow you to refine more raws with each click. 1 pt - 1 raw, 2 pt - 5 raws, 3 pt- 20 raws, 4 pt- 100 raws, 5 pt - 200 raws. And then lower the rare/HQ slag rate. This would stem the tide of rares coming into the market place, make raws valuable again, and level the playing field between honest players and botters.
    EvilHomer, Mins and Pijotre like this.
  14. Mins New Member

That would be better than getting a writs injury from the 800 clicks a stack... especially now that they made the rares more rare...

we also need to be able to crunch the fish... make it a random rare, or just put a price on the resources, i can sell my fish for the same price as the low quality slag.. then i can just sell the stinking fish
  15. Caela Well-Known Member

In the interest of science, I'm seeing how bad they nerfed this.

So far I've done 2 200 stacks and received 6 HQ slags - no purified rares.

I'll report back when I'm done with a stack of each. Or I've gone crazy (which some think I already have).
  16. Mins New Member

I've slowly done 2 stacks, my writs hurts... so break time.. but only got 4 hq, no rares :(
    EvilHomer and Guiscard like this.
  17. SideshowBob Active Member

Same here. Refined almost 4 stacks. Almost a dozen High Quality vendor trash, and no rares. I guess the people who were charging obscene prices for the rares needed for armor and spell upgrades will be happy again...........:rolleyes:
    EvilHomer, BettyBoop and Guiscard like this.
  18. Feldon Well-Known Member

Most of the people who /bug and /feedback and shout the loudest about rares staying super-rare are just trying to defend their artificially inflated market.
  19. Avianna Well-Known Member

yup the worthless ability that gave you carpel tunnel before is now even more worthless, no bother to even spec this ability
  20. Jalek Active Member

So 20-50% on normal rares and <1% on commons was too much for some.
    Not surprising at all.
    EvilHomer and Guiscard like this.