red and yellow adorns

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by bsod, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Draylore Well-Known Member

I pretty sure the Dev's really think that this current method for red/yellow adorns will keep content 'valid' longer....since we will still be required to kill even the fully loot saturated mobs just to keep ourselves stocked on red adorns. I would not be surprised if 'reducing SLR' was also a driving force behind the decision to do it like this. Seems like a really lazy and cheap method to accomplish that. There had to be others ways that did not result in pointless drama and extra work for guilds, raid leaders and loot officers....and that did not require destroying gear. Just thinking about it pisses me off case this current method just does not make any logical sense.

Some combination of how it was done in SF(vendors & tokens) and DoV(raid drop unlocks) would have been FAR FAR better IMO.
  2. Neiloch Well-Known Member

They could take an example from SWTOR here tbh. If they are insistent on this model, they can simply allow players to drag and drop adornments out of equipment for a coin fee. No special vendor or items to do it. Just try and move the adornment and prompt comes up asking "Would you like to pay 151p, 75g to remove this adornment?"

EDIT: Now that I think about it they already screwed up being able to do that with all the crafted items to remove adornments. If you could simply do it by prompt the items and recipe would become useless. They can't make the prompt significantly more costly because it would have to be compared to market prices which vary.

They should just make it so adornments can be bought by tokens in addition to the current system. Make it obols for example and just make each adornment cost 100 obols and 50p or some other high cost. Keeps their wants of longevity and plat sink intact. Otherwise we are once again at the complete mercy of the horrendous RNG.

Fine, make it take a long time to get optimal pieces, but make it have a DEFINED and player observable maximum amount of time. I really liked how in TSO you could either get a piece of loot as a drop or save up tokens to buy it off a vendor. I really wish they kept that system in.
  3. Encori Active Member

So ... you guys don't just say "forget this" and buy runes from the thurgadin docks?
  4. Regolas Well-Known Member

Technically that's what's going to happen with the new dislodgers, just a slightly different process.

Rather than just moving them and prompted for a fee, you buy a dislodger for that fee (or loot it) and use that to remove the adorn while keeping your gear useable.

They are giving us lots of options based on cost.

Cheapest is to remove one yellow, red or green adorn and destroy the equipment
    Next priciest is to remove all yellow, red and green adorns and destroy equipment.
    Next priciest is remove all adorns and destroy equipment.
    Most expensive is remove one adorn of your choice and keep equipment.
  5. Neiloch Well-Known Member

A more cumbersome, wasteful and inelegant process, to be sure.

All those options tie in with their terrible RNG some how. Either through getting components to make dislodgers or waiting for one to drop. At least they offer a way to also buy the high end dislodger (supposedly) but who knows how much that will cost.

Of course in the interim, but they aren't as good and when dealing with some of the 'square' adornments you can't get any new ones or different ones because most guilds don't run the content that drops them. The adornments I use now differ greatly from the ones I used at the beginning of DoV.
  6. Razr New Member

How bout a trade in system for all shards or war runes. This way we can trade in old raid shards earned from previous expansions for newer current shards in use ex. 50 void shards for a current yellow. Have a crate full of old shards and their useless. Same for old war runes let us trade in for a diminished return for red shards.
  7. Owli Member

THERE SHOULD BE YELLOW ADORNMENTS FOR 1 GREATER ESEENCE
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

Good idea actually, or 50 obols maybe
  9. Owli Member

No, 1 greater essence.
  10. Emissary Vex Active Member

I concur with everyone else here, the current system is borked. The chances of getting a drop with a useful rune is one in a thousand, and its most likely going to be on something that you are not allowed to roll need on. The only viable way to aquire runes is still to grind them out in Velious.

I see some ideas of buying them with obol or essences. I don't like those ideas either because I still think both items are too rare.
  11. Draylore Well-Known Member

Hmm Obols are not rare. Essences really are not that rare either all things considered. Would love to be able to actually use them for something useful.
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

If people here have not seen it a Dev has already stated there will be no CoE-Adornement Merchant. They may one day go back on it, but I see no issue with this current system. Sure it is annoying but all the more reason to keep people running zones. Every time SOE has tried to slow down the rate of Player Progression though content to give them more time to make more meaty expansion people complain.

Method One: Zone flagging
    - You must complete X zone before you can enter Y zone.
    Time frame used: Launch to RoK.
    Player Response: We hate this I should be able to enter any zone I want.
    Response: Loss of most Access Quests and Flags.

- You must have X amount of protection from the mobs to enter Y zone.
    Time frame used: TSO-DoV 1.
    Player Response: We hate crit-mit I am getting denied groups because of my gear.
    Response: Loss of crit-mit as a gating mechanic now horridly geared players can enter hard zones and drag down groups.

- You cannot buy what you want and must get lucky via drops.
    Time frame used: CoE
    Player Response: We hate random adornments we should buy what we want.
    Response: Yet to be seen.

Basically every time SOE has tried to make some form of "forward progression" through Heroic Content providing structure to the game we have seen Players cry out that they in essence want the power of Skyrim/Fallout in EQ2 which sorry but in MMO's you must earn everything, Gating Mechanics are necessary and the only way around is usually having good gear already. They need to slow down players because within 3 months of COE being live... I see threads of "well there is nothing to do now" already and this is BECAUSE there are no Gating Mechanics anymore.
    Kuulei likes this.
  13. Neiloch Well-Known Member

How about challenging encounters and basic gear checks that don't include artificial stats? I heard that is a pretty good method of doing it in MMO's from over 13 years ago. They used in various spots throughout the games life except for most recently in CoE I am sorry to say. Although the lack of interesting and challenging content would explain the need for artificial gating such as these.

the problem with crit mit was that it was a HARD gear check. A binary, true/false check that could not be compensated or slightly buffered in any way possible. No matter how stacked you got on heals and defense if you didn't meet the crit mit requirement you were dead. Might as well have been a death touch that doesn't apply if you have enough crit mit.

In contrast an encounter that is designed to be challenging can be worked with. So if you bring a less than ideally equipped player they should work out fine, you just play it a little more safe and defensively. they don't get insta-killed by almost every attack.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

Yeah that works too, and that was the problem with critical mitigation. There was no "getting around it"
  15. Neiloch Well-Known Member

And to be clear, my problem isn't that it takes lots of work/time to get adornments, its that the amount fo work needed is random.

Random=Bad

What would you rather do, know for a fact if you ran 10 zones you will get that item you are hunting for or have it be a crapshoot where you could get it after 1 run or won't see it until 20 or possibly even more runs?

people only like the random systems when it can result in some super small chance they get something early or highly valued. that is why there needs to be an alternative method that has a defined, concrete cost even if that cost is high. This isn't Vegas and I'm not playing the gigglegibber goblin.

I don't see why this wouldn't be acceptable. I'm sure they have some general goal of how much work they want people to do to get certain items. Setting up a merchant system lets them define the amount of work needed EXACTLY. Sure people still might get it early due to RNG but that would happen in either case anyway.
    Kalderon likes this.
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep agreed with Neiloch here, Random is good for those "rare" items like Heroic-Rare-Named Drops or Last Boss drops as well as for Solo/Heroic Ethereals... that's a good random. Adornments though at least should drop relative to class... no -Hate Gain on a Fighter item please.
    Kalderon likes this.
  17. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Yes, it´s not like we haven´t had a merchant before, which sold high quality drops from zones oO would not be that bad to bring em back to buissness, i think.
  18. Crychtonn Active Member

Estred I think most people would be fine if they just seperated the adornment drops from the items. Sure I'd love a merchant to repurchase adornments once they were unlocked like they've had for so long now. But thats not why I hate the current system so much. I hate it because it's a giant headache of dealing with items vs the adornments on them. Even on alt raids it becomes a pain in the ***.

Adding in the adornment remover that won't destroy the item will help with this. At least people will be able to split the gear and adornment between two people. But it's still going to be annoying and more work then it should be. Again seperate the gear drop from the adornment drop and most people won't be overjoyed but they'd be able to deal with it a lot better and not straight hate it.
    Sophronia likes this.
  19. Plavem Active Member

1. Adornments should drop on their own independent of the gear. It is an absolute nightmare and an unfair process. I have read all 4 pages, and the guy who keeps saying (buffrat i think ) that his guild has no problems with the looting of these items if they don't like it they can leave. That attitude is just ****. Applicants in your guild should not lose anything because of a stupid adornment. And the argument that they may not ever show up again can be said for any guild member you have.

2. The dev response to this issue is laughable at best. Making dislodgers that can be bought. So in short I spend 100pp ( just a guess ) to remove the adornment from the item and get both items. So lets say you go through with this. The master looter loots a piece then auctions both items for dkp or to go to loot council. This is great in theory. But you aren't dropping plat from chest, so how are guild leaders suppose to pay for this.

3. The itemization is complete garbage, cast adorns on melee gear etc. So if you do go through with the dislodgers you are going to be forcing people to spend money.

The easier solution to this whole mess is like I said to have the adornments drop independent of the gear. What would it take? Giving each boss like 3 extra loot slots. Most bosses drop 3 pieces of gear so just make them drop 3 red adornments. In the end I think this will benefit everyone. I think the dislodgers are a good idea to the individual, because there are times where I would like to keep the gear and the adornment or swap out adornments, I should always have to destroy the gear to do this.
  20. Sophronia New Member

Pretty much, yes.

Dev's, do you realise that the raid doesn't stop when people are bidding on loot?
    Do you know I am reading an adornment description while trying to heal the next encounter?
    Do you know I am checking a (partial) list on my desk to see whether that adornment is flagged for priests, although the item isn't?
    Do you know that isn't fun?!

Please simplify this process for us.
    Kalderon likes this.