Raiding Swash

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Xerxess, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Xerxess Guest

I went to AoA for the first time last night and I thought I was doing good but when they showed parse I was below a monk, assiasan and a couple of rangers...is that bad? If it is I just can't seem to figure out what im doing wrong...
  2. ARCHIVED-Keldoth Guest

What was your group makeup? That is a large part of your potential DPS. AoA is an AE dream - so Hurricane and your 2 AE should allow you to win parses (especially over a monk) unless you simply had no buffs. Make sure you are using GM Caustic at all times, as well.
    At 100 haste / 100 dps, 510 str, GM caustic and WIS line with a good fabled 1h, you are in position to beat most classes in any AE situation. The only classes that have a shot to beat you are Conj, Nec, Wiz for the most part. On single target, your biggest foe is likely the assassin, who will beat you most of the time. You have to work a lot harder to win single target parses.
  3. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

definately review group build up and was it your first time raiding? if so youll get used to figuring out ways to boost your dps.
  4. ARCHIVED-Xerxess Guest

I see...our group make up was a Guardian, Assasian, Mystic, Templar, Warden, and Me the Swasy..

Also im using Grizzfaz dagger and Essenia blade from SoS quest...
  5. ARCHIVED-Keldoth Guest

Well there is your prob - that group nets you exactly 0 worthwhile offensive buffs.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cocytus Guest

I'm generally in the top 2-3 even without worthwile dps boosts with my raid alliance. Were you using Inspiration, Ruthless Cunning, Perfect Finesse, or En Garde?
  7. ARCHIVED-mikemastermikeymike Guest

I never lose to wizzys on the parse its all ways the assasin then me unless im in a good group are assasin parses 2k on the norm in all the x4 zones... besides nameds some times i pull out on top of named encounters.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cocytus Guest

Generally it's either me or my ranger friend on top, though it does sound like the case might be that he's not using inspiration, or maybe has hurricane off.
  9. ARCHIVED-mikemastermikeymike Guest

Do you guys not have a good assasin?
  10. ARCHIVED-Iseabeil Guest

Get good poison and a good group and ye'll spank most of the raid in DPS, ye lose sooo much damage on a group like the one ye were in. Ive been in groups similar to that one due to turnout for raid and dropped easily 500 dps on it zonewide, stuff like +dps and +haste is bread and butter for us (althou its a bit annoying when ye get persona window up at times to see what to cast before inspiration and see yer 100/100 thus making finesse and ruthless useless :p )
  11. ARCHIVED-Xerxess Guest

Hmmm Yeah I didn't have hurricane on and I used inspiration very little because im not really use to raiding...I usaully fight in groups a lot so I guess I was afraid of stealing aggro hehe
  12. ARCHIVED-MortalQ2 Guest

Don't be afraid of stealing aggro, 99.9% of fights you will be in, pulling aggro means you'll die(when you get geared you'll live) and the fight will continue. When I pull aggro on raids nowadays, most of the time I just tank it 'til the MT can get it back lol. 4500 mit ftw =p

As for my experience in raids, I don't try to top the parse anymore. I consistanly end up in the top 5 of our parses behind out Wiz, Assassin, Nec and other swashy. Partly might be that I went Str/Wis so i could use Traumatic Swipe still. I prolly could get back to being on the top with the other swashy we have, but my computer is the crap and I lag to much LOL.

BTW, the 0.1% of the fights that you don't want to pull aggro include: Any mob that has mem-wipe and or HUGE frontal. Lord Vyemm and Tarinax have really bad frontal's and pulling aggro when its NOT a mem-wipe is a nono. Vilucidae has a stance where he ripostes like 85% and another where he frontals auto attack and double attacks like 80%.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cocytus Guest

Yeah, that's the problem then. Hurricane and inspiration are *the* bread and butter.
  14. ARCHIVED-BenDJ Guest

I usually on the top 5 on the parse list on my raid without relying on others' haste/dps buffs (around 1k~1.2k dps). And that's without using my 30s haste/dps buffs or caustic poison (usually using mental breach to maintain power to dps). Most of my DPS comes from my crits (i hit around 900-1400 dmg autoattack crit). Im usually in a group that buffs my crit% and a little bit of haste. Having a good 1hander with a high damage range helps w/ crits and combine that w/ 100% haste makes it even better. And when you add in Inspiration and haste/dps buffs and you can go up to 1.7k dps or more on some mobs.
  15. ARCHIVED-Atmosphear1993 Guest

Depends on many different things:
    -Group Make Up
    - Type of Encounter (multi-targets usually mean more dps for me)
    - Whether the encounter has knockback or AoE's that will require you to back out.
    -Various other things.
    Our dps is all well and good. But there is always typically another class that will be able to dps better than us. If you don't have the right group make up, your dps will be horribly low sometimes.
  16. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

If the monk and rangers in the other group were getting some decent buffs, they could be competitive. In AoA though you should be able to kill them with hurricane no matter what your support is like. It'll take you a while to feel out aggro, but if you're going to pull aggro anywhere, AoA is the place to do it, stuff in there is not terribly hard. Inspiration is a tough one to feel out and when you can drop it really depends on who's tanking for you. I've been in raids with sketchy aggro and it's always exciting trying to push it to the limit without stealing aggro, hehe. Lots of eluding with a lie low here and there.

You were in a group with a guardian and a couple priests though, which I assume was a tank group -- put your aggro transfer on the tank, hell, put on the aggro reducing poison if you want to, and there's no way in hell you're going to be pulling aggro off a competent tank. If you pull aggro with that setup, one of ya is doing something terribly wrong, hehe.
  17. ARCHIVED-A 12 Gauge 007 Guest

You should also be looking into your gear and AA line. Wisdom is where is at. Get a 1her and go wis. Get Acrylia rings they proc both haste and DPS mods. Ruthless Cunning is the most under used swashy buff in the game... Ive meet swashys that didnt even know it exsists. DT access is nice to make sure your procs push you to max haste but not needed. adpIIIs and masters get em trust me. Classes you wanna group with Monks Zerkers Wizards Mages Templars Troubs.
    Perfect group for me
    Coercer DPS buff
    Templar DPS buff
    Monk Haste buff
    Me
    Wizard/Mage Phoenixblade or Emberseed
    Any other DPS class usually Assassin in my guild.
    With this setup I average 1300dps as does the Assassin. When we go all out its 2k+ each.
    Hope this helps
  18. ARCHIVED-Atmosphear1993 Guest

I agree to that! It is from Bloodlines, picked it up when Bloodlines came out. If you weren't around during that time you might miss it if you don't check your CAs on a website.
    Too bad I can't find anyone with the recipe to make the Adept III, nevermind finding a Master of it.
  19. ARCHIVED-Gerdos Guest

Why templars?? You mean inquisitors??
  20. ARCHIVED-A 12 Gauge 007 Guest

Yes Inq... I stand corrected.