Quintessences

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Sneakle, Dec 4, 2014.

1. xNeth Member

You guys are unlucky. People are getting so many quints off of handcrafted that the price on crushbone regularly dips below 200p
    Shmogre likes this.
  2. Wurm Well-Known Member

A lot of that is people selling left overs from before the change too.
  3. Azian Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a WAY WAY higher return than I was getting before the change. It seems like your former crazy good luck with the RNG may just be leveling out now with a dip in the other direction.
  4. Wurm Well-Known Member

I got 5 for 60 the first time I did it. And makes me think even more that having to have a RNG item to make a war rune is wrong.
  5. Hijinx Well-Known Member

I"m getting 1/100 as well and frankly I think it probably should be tweeked to be a bit more rare. Mass producing hand crafted is so easy and really not that expensive. It should take a bit more effort than it does now.
  6. Azian Well-Known Member

Never on my best batch of items did I get 5/60. That's absurdly good luck and if that had continued for many people it would have required nerfing.

I greatly prefer our current system to that of ToV which truly was 100% based upon the RNG in chest drops. Even on the rare occasion that you got the drop you still had RNG involved with which particular rune happened to be in the chest. Nothing like getting your 6th stout rune to liven up the day.

Between the quint, the far seas kindling, and the blank runes the current system is quite expensive (it's supposed to be) but it's doable and controllable rather than the old way.
    Mermut, Shmogre and oakmiser like this.
  7. Wurm Well-Known Member

All the quint adds is a plat exchange from people with bad RNG to people with good RNG and we have enough of that crap in this game as is.
  8. Azian Well-Known Member

Far less so now than SLR in ToV did.

The quint gives us the control to earn our own purple war runes. That's the opposite of what you are stating.

Anecdotally, by this thread I've had bad luck with the salvage RNG compared to you. Nevertheless, I've not needed to transfer any of my hard earned plat to someone like you (with your good luck) because I've been able to control my own destiny in terms of components needed. This would still be true even if my luck gets worse and I have to break down even more components to get the quints I need. I don't HAVE to pay you or anyone else anything other than the cost of fuel for my own work. Nor am I subject to the whim of a long and slow RNG process from running zones and getting the drop plus winning the roll (in a group.)

Honest question that I don't know the answer to, do rune patterns drop in chests in AoM at all? I've seen none but really that doesn't mean much as my time in zones has been only a small fraction of my overall game play so far.

Edit to add: You'll get no argument from me that 2000 items broken for zero quints is horrid luck. As others above have stated, I've still had the same mediocre luck of late but haven't been doing quite as much salvaging recently. I'm sure I'll need to do so again before long as I'm working up another character on a different server who will need runes. I promise to update this if my luck runs as badly as yours did recently.
    Karsa and Shmogre like this.
  9. Wurm Well-Known Member

I didn't put any of them up for sale I used them myself and I gave one to a guildie.

And in ToV I made due with the war-runes I had drop (they dropped often enough) or the ones from the Etyma NPC.

And to answer your question, the recipes drop in chests in heroic zones... not the consumable patterns.
  10. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

300 plat in fuel costs, zero quint and 6 rares.

Who ever is micro managing the crap out of the probability tables is irritating the hell out of me.

I should have saved the plat and bought them off the broker. What a waste.
  11. Atan Well-Known Member

I usually transmute around 450 items in a run, and I end up with 3-5 quints and ~4 rares.

All in all it seems either chance is around 1:100.

In the end, now that everyone understands how to craft them, the price should floor ~50-75p for quints.

I still have 100's of them (if not 1000s) from refining for rares. I need rares far more than I'll ever need quints.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

What are you salvaging? If you're using crafted items you want to do the ones called 'phantom' <something>. The 'tranquil' <something> items have zero chance. The 'Phantom' ones average somewhere between 1/100 and 2/100
    Azian likes this.
  13. Azian Well-Known Member

I did not know that and greatly appreciate that insight. I must have just gotten by with some dumb luck so far. Better to be lucky than good? :)
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I'm talking about handcrafted gear. The new master crafted stuff all has a (better) chance to get quints. I have no idea what the rate is there, as I don't want to waste the rares testing ;)
  15. Crychtonn Active Member

The market fixers won't let it get down that low in price. They average 150-250 still on Guk. I've seen times where someone puts up a bunch for lower but they disappear very quick.
  16. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I am aware of this. Was salvaging phantom items.

My frustrations are centered more around what appears to be the constant tinkering with probabilities in what I believe is an effort to constrain progression by constraining drop rates.

Early on, I had no issues like this. However, this is my experience over the last month or so. Perhaps it's just bad luck on my part, that may very well be the case.

/shrug.
  17. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

250 plat on crushbone. With fuel costs, it's cheaper to simply buy them.