Quest recipes auto deleting upon completion.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Caith, May 15, 2013.

1. Caith Developer

Since we have seen some feedback on quest recipes auto deleting themselves from your recipe book, I wanted to use this thread to discuss the pro's and cons of doing so, and whether or not the tradeskill community as a whole feels this feature is generally having a positive or negative impact.

Previously, quest recipes once scribed were left in your recipe book permanently. This allowed you to always have access to the recipe as long as you have ever had access to the recipe previously. The downside of this is the ever expanding size of a recipe book, which effects zoning and load times as well as simply leaving ever more recipes to search through.

Currently on a few quests, such as the daily tradeskill apprentice mission, the recipes used in the quest will remove themselves from your recipe book as soon as you turn in the quest. This allows us to clean up recipes that are not used outside of a specific quest, which will overall reduce the size of a recipe book, allowing us to remove quest recipes that do not serve a purpose outside of the quest that they are used for.

Before we make any further changes, we would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
    Feara and Feldon like this.
  2. Mystfit Well-Known Member

I fully support better and faster zoning and less clutter. There are some people who might be disappointed at the loss of recipes. I know someone who had a goal to have the most recipes learned and went to some creative lengths to keep his recipe book full. Clearly if you removed all no longer needed recipes it would decrease the count for those who care about those things. Quite honestly, if there is more value for the whole then a few people who like to find fun accomplishments here or there...then...it must be done! But as I'm a quest count nerd and I'd sure hate anyone decluttering up my quest book, I can't help but feel bad for anyone who cares about that as much as I care about mine ;)
    Feara likes this.
  3. Enric_of_Neriak Member

For quests where the item is only required to be crafted once or where commission crafting can not be used then removing the recipes make sense. For all repeatable quests and quests where the commission system can be used then removing the recipe makes no sense at all. Its a great idea, just poorly implemented. My 2 cp.
    Kraeref, Finora and Feara like this.
  4. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I honestly did not even notice they had been deleted until I read on the forums and then checked my books. When you can (using the CS quested gloves) make 10 of them in 1 combine and stash 'em in the door vault I don't see an issue with having them auto-delete.

Must admit it WOULD be nice if the items stacked :)
  5. Guiscard Active Member

This is a poor implementation and we should have been asked up front. Its making the TS apprentice quest a PITA to use. If like me you use your GH it means that you cannot make the recipe before and then go down and do one time turn-in. Your only alternative is to fill up your house vault - but if you have things like Xmas direcitons etc. you may not have much room in the vault.

Now if you made the output stackable -- like stacks of 100 -- it would save room in your house vault and still be easily usable. The current sytem is USER HOSTILE -- and it certainly make me wonder if the quest is worth doing.

Here are some suitable alternatives --
    1. Leave them in our book after we get them -
    2, Make them stackable
    3. Give the USER the ability to delete recipes from the book except the ones in their specific TS.
    4. Currently you are punishing player who have limited house vault space

Right now we have the worst of all possible worlds and I think you should have asked people before you made this change.
    Emms likes this.
  6. Tineren Active Member

In general I like the change, and would like to see it applied to older quests. For example I love how the high level Provisioner writs used this method. It made provisioner my class of choice for grinding status. The only place where it bothers me is on the tradeskill apprentice tasks, since often people mass produce those items. While I can still mass produce them while I have the quest, it does mean that every 3-4 months I will have to respec to mass produce on all of my characters for 5 days in a row (which I admit is a fairly petty complaint). My suggested change for the daily apprentice tasks would be to leave them as autolearn/forget, but rather than learning just the one recipe when you get the quest, learn all 5 recipes for that tier.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

And this is exactly the reason why I hate this new system. I put the 4 recipes for my highest level writs on my hotbars to make finding them easier when I go to do a batch of writs for levelling or status grinding. When the recipes get deleted the recipes also vanish from the hotbars until you go and get a new quest. Since you can't see them it's easy to lose track of them and overwrite with something else while you're out adventuring. It's annoying to have to re-set everything on the hotbars every time you want to do a batch of writs.

I'm all in favour of doing things to speed up zoning and the like but maybe the way to handle that is with some radical new concept like not actually loading up recipe data until we ask for it or something? Why on earth does it need to be loaded every time we zone when we're only likely to use it after a small fraction of those zonings? And at the end of the day I can't see that removal of quest recipes is going to help that much. Even if you killed all of them it's still a relatively small amount compared to the number of class recipes sitting in most people's books.
    Feara likes this.
  8. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Yeah, lol they take out the apprentice ones and leave in bunches from the gloves questline lol its just a big mess. Someone needs to go look at the recipe book on Istaria, they got it right. It is like the favorites section of the IE browser.
    Emms and Guiscard like this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

For single use recipes, deleting them after the quest is done makes good sense. I wouldn't mind the old tradeskill apprentice recipes being deleted when the character gets the newer ones. I've adapted to the new dailies being deleted every time (great motivation to get the gloves so toons can make 10 at a time).
    It would be useful to be able to choose which recipes to delete (the afore mentioned old tradeskill apprentice recipes).
    Finora, Guiscard and Feara like this.
  10. Lordebon Active Member

If it's a one-time use recipe (meaning that once you complete the quest you cannot do it again and will never need it again) then by all means remove the recipe.

For anything that is repeatable (like the TS apprentices) I would say keep the recipe. There are better ways of revamping the recipe system (which I thought was being worked on, now that I think about it) to make it less cumbersome. Having the option to delete recipes for repeatable quests if the user so desires would be nice though, that way if you know you have no interest in going back and doing it again you can remove the recipe, and since it's repeatable worse comes to worse you can always get it again if you change your mind.
    Emms and Feara like this.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I feel that most quest recipes could be dropped from our books after a quest is done. This would include tradeskill apprentice recipes because people eventually pass their current tier. I agree with having the quest items stack to make stockpiling easier.

Recipes to be excluded from auto-deletion would be those involved in the earring and shawl quests, as well as anything that produces a house item or a wearable item.

While we're looking at auto-scribing, could we look at adding that feature to the frostfell and mara crafting instances? Frostfell is particularly silly, giving you the same book from every goblin in the cave, when it would be easier just to get it from the starter NPC out in FF village.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I had an idea for the zoning times. Maybe it's time to look into preventing recipes from loading in adventure instances. I can't remember the last time I ever really needed to make something in one of those zones.
    Guiscard likes this.
  13. Tineren Active Member

I have occaisonally done "field adorning" when I got an upgrade, but it's certainly not a regular occurrence that I would miss. I've replenished ammo before also.
    Guiscard likes this.
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Yep. I realize there are cases where someone might want to craft and some might consider me crazy for suggesting such a thing, but if it provides a significant benefit, it might be worth looking into.
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

So long as they restrict it to instances and not just adventure zones, that sounds like a fine idea.
  16. Feara Well-Known Member

Agree
  17. Caela Well-Known Member

I would be all for the apprentice quest items to stack and be able to sell back for fuel costs.

I also don't mind that quest deleting from my recipe book - and wish all the lower tier ones would go away as well. Some of my crafters I have leveled up over the past year and when I go to search for "Sturdy" - I get a long list of items that I would rather not wade through.

Perhaps a compromise would be to remove the quest recipe once you have no need to make it ever again - such as when you move out of the tier.

Now - there are a few exceptions - the Kunark epic tradeskill quest - I still need to make the item every once in a while for someone else. And there was some quest at sometime (and I can't remember any details) that had you make a shovel - and that shovel is also a house item - I made a couple of shovels for my garden recently - I wouldn't want that recipe to go away.
  18. ZUES Well-Known Member

Why not just eliminate the recipe book all together? Unlock recipes in the TS device instead. Thus fixing the zone issue once and for all. Where is that new TS UI btw?
  19. Meidjum Active Member

Please add more filters the recipe box. I.E. which slot an item go into, there are about 100 Ancient Knowledge recipes and growing, it is insane.
  20. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I work with it fine just the way it is.

I would prefer you write it once in and never remove it.