Please give LoN Spam its own Chat Category

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-XeroXs84, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-XeroXs84 Guest

I understand that sony wants to advertise for LoN using the broadcasting etc... but while I am sure there are people around that are interested in it, I bet there are a lot people around that just get annoyed by the LoN Spam too.

Please Sony give the LoN Broadcasts its own category so those that arent interested in it can just disable it.

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Dendro Guest

Absolutely. Like many people, when I hear that sound and see a mass of yellow text, I think "Yikes! Server crash imminent!" and stop what I'm doing...only to find out it's just an in-house commercial.
  3. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

I'd love to be able to turn off the LoN advertisements. I abhor them.
  4. ARCHIVED-Melodee Guest

I agree also. It's very irritating to be in the middle of a fight and suddenly succumb to the conditioned response to that special ding/yellow text. I also haven't figured out a way to stop it from adding a new tab that overwhelms my chat box, so I constantly have to delete the tab after it shows. One time, it happened like 5 times in less than 3 minutes. Very annoying!
  5. ARCHIVED-Supple Guest

/petition signed !!
  6. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

These threads normally turn up in Gameplay. But yeah, LoN isn't a System Message so it should be something else. With it given a LoN chat tag we could choose which window it goes to, or it not to appear at all, like those things caught by the spam filter or loot rolls. I still /feedback everytime I get spammed about that card game. It annoys me.
  7. ARCHIVED-Melodee Guest

Wyrmypops wrote:
    Great idea! Make it on the same basis as the spam filter, so those who want to see it can and we who run away screaming from any reference to the card game dont have to worry about it
  8. ARCHIVED-Quicheng Guest

For every LoN-spam interruption I get, I take a second and /feedback it. I simply put "please stop spamming LoN ads via the SYSTEM MESSAGE facility". It's simple, polite, concise and to the point.
  9. ARCHIVED-Armmiller Guest

Uros@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I'd love to set fire to the LON server -- that would put an end to it. But I imagine it would be a violation of the SOE terms of service.
  10. ARCHIVED-Melodee Guest

Yeah, I'm sure I saw something in the EULA stating "Thou shalt not set fire to any servers to which thou hast issues" or something like that. Too bad! LOL
  11. ARCHIVED-Dendro Guest

How 'bout just degaussing the hard drive?
  12. ARCHIVED-Armmiller Guest

Dendro wrote:
    waaay to technical. Perhaps just a hammer....
  13. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

A hammer works for me!
    Seriously... waaaaaayyyy too much abuse of the system messages. Those messages have always been used to announce servers going down, updates, hot fixes for overburdened servers, etc. When we hear the bell and see the yellow text flash by, our first thought is, "Wait. Stop. Get to a safe place to camp."
    Then, we see that it's LON spam.
    I've actually gotten to where I tune out system messages now because of the abuse of it to advertise the card game. I was running around doing my stuff when the server went down, and my thought was, "What the heck? No warning?" That was when a friend pointed out to me that they'd issued a warning via system messages.
    Yeah... I so did not see that because I assumed it was more LON spam. It really needs to stop. There are better ways to peddle the card game.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zardoz Guest

Dendro wrote:
    Ditto. QFT. /signed and all that stuff.
    Make it so, Number 1!
  15. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

I don't get what the big deal is. It's text. It scrolls away 5 seconds after it shows up.

And if they didn't broadcast it, I wouldn't know about the tournaments (Which are a lot of fun by the way).

To each their own ;)
  16. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

Good on you for enjoying LoN. I know a person that does too... one person, in our guild of gawd knows how many.
    If anyone that does enjoy LoN, they should be able to get alerts to upcoming tournaments. But not to the detriment and annoyance of those that do not want to be spammed by it. Anyone into it could leave ticked the LoN Chat box in the Chat Options, those not into could have it unticked. Everyones a winner, baby, that's the truth.
  17. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Dreyco wrote:
    Maybe the way to do it is to first disable the warning klaxon, either entirely, or perhaps substitute the first few bars of the game's opening music, either this game's, EQ1, or from Sony Online Adventures (as I understand the game is a pan-world offering).

Secondly, change the color of the LoN text to bright neon pink.

This way, the LoN aficionados don't miss their updates, and those people who are trying to ignore LoN will know the update isn't for them. And the bright yellow text and annoying bell will once again signal that you can't play for X amount of time, and nothing else.
  18. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

The EQ2 System Maintenance Message System is INAPPROPRIATE for advertising.

LoN messages should be a separate channel. There are channels for level, class, guild, group, etc. Why not a LoN chat channel?

Does anyone remember X10? Might've been a great product, but the advertising was so obtrusive that the company had a huge negative opinion against it.
  19. ARCHIVED-Deablo Guest

People complain about everything it seems. I don't see what the big deal is.
  20. ARCHIVED-Druid03 Guest

its very annoying when you have 8 chat tabs, i wouldnt mind beeing able to turn this off