Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rawl Well-Known Member

I think they are going to introduce light sabers into Norrath, so I made this one. (okay, okay, I'm joking about light sabers in EQ2.) [IMG]
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Those aren't magically-contained (even in the Star Wars universe, frankly; science fantasy ;->) light beam swords, those are obviously strange new Bard/Dirge instruments! Or screwdrivers that produce sound--which, come to think, could also be a new instrument, I guess... ;->

Uwk
    cellinaire and Merriel like this.
  3. Merriel Well-Known Member

I was thinking we could use some wind chimes in game, hehe. My daughter just purchased a very lovely wind chime made from driftwood and sea shells that hangs down a little longer than half way down to the floor of the porch. The shells are approx four inches wide all the way around, and I love how natural it looks, being made from driftwood, twine, and seashells. I'm guessing this is something the tri-count may be way too high on, though, for PlayerStudio stuff?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Shadowplay Well-Known Member

these are....back massagers
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Merriel and Rawl like this.
  5. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Slapping my hand so I don't say what I thought they looked like.
  6. Rawl Well-Known Member

Wind chimes without the sound effects? I don't think they would approve them and create sound effects for them. That would be a lot of additional work which would drive up the amount they'd have to sell to break even. The tri count wouldn't have to be too high, although for something that small, they'd probably only allow 500 or so tri count and 256 x 256 texture map sizes.

So, it isn't impossible, but probably unlikely you will see anything in game as wind chimes.
  7. Rawl Well-Known Member

btw, I made this as an example which I can use to make one in real life out of stuff I could get at a hardware store. It won't have the sound effects and lighting up blade, but it could still look pretty cool anyway. If/when I make it, I'll post pictures of the real thing I made.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  8. Merriel Well-Known Member

I won't comment on this...only because my response would not be very appropriate for these forums, hehe.

Probably true, but, ehh, we can dream. As for size, the one I'm talking about would be about the height of a chair from top of the back down to the floor (maybe a little taller) and about a foot wide circumference, so it wouldn't be all that small an item. :)

Look forward to seeing your finished project on the light sabers, even if it isn't game related. Always fun to see creativity at it's best. :)
  9. Rawl Well-Known Member

I added some color to the model[IMG]
    To buy a pre-made lightsaber with sound effects and lite blade is pretty expensive, I am considering making one out of stuff I can get from my local hardware supply store. Mine won't have sound or light, but might look cool :)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

We do have things like the Othmir whatevers and dream-catchers; if you don't need it to make a sound, you might be able to string something together for in-game use. :)

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.
  11. Shadowplay Well-Known Member

Decided to get one more thing in for NotD

Have fun storming the castle!

[IMG]
    Merriel, Mitten, cellinaire and 3 others like this.
  12. Severai Member

Or keeping pesky pirates off'n your ship. Umm. Other pesky pirates. Yes. Not totally above-board an' legitimate Gentlemen of Fortune. Not them. In fact invite them to your ship. Or house. Or vault.

(( I am so getting some of these for Kaian's ship!! ))
  13. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

14. Rawl Well-Known Member

Working on the bookcase first. What do you think of this rod iron? (I will use the same rod iron texture for the other items in this set.)

[IMG]
  15. chattie Well-Known Member

The bookcase looks awesome, as does all your items :) !, Would we be able to place stuff inside the bookcase? If no, I would like it more if the rod iron doors we opened so we could put books inside.
    I really like the rod iron and would like to see it made into tall privacy fencing and gate (not the short fencing we have already) that would be fantastic if possible.
    Merriel, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rawl like this.
  16. Rawl Well-Known Member

The iron work is one plane or surface, it doesn't have thickness, therefore it wouldn't work very well as a fence. The tri count to make a fence segment like this would be very high, and I don't think they'd approve it because of that, particularly because it would only be a small segment, and in order to build an entire fence, you'd need many of them, which would cause problems with the game engine.
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah; usually when you see fancy-looking stuff like that, even done up by the in-game art department, it's almost always just basically a "wallpaper": a flat plane or whatever with a fancy bit of "artwork" on it, rather than a bunch of separate items stuck together somehow, like you'd do in real life. Otherwise, yeah, it would be asking way too much of the program and the servers to be able to cope with that much "solidity". That's probably true of any MMO, if not any computer game. :-/

But you can always put stuff "in" a bookcase, or open chest, or on a lower bunk bed, even if it doesn't seem possible at first; you just have to get really clever with the workarounds... Usually, what I recommend is either raise the item (say, a book) really high in the air until you get above the offending bit of furniture, then lower it into place. Or if possible, place the item at the height you want it to wind up in, in mid-air, then lower the bookcase/chest/whatever down onto it, so it looks like it's resting on a shelf, or in the chest on the bottom or whatever. ;->

Uwk
    working around the in-game decorating annoyances for years now ;->
    Merriel, Moonpanther and Rawl like this.
  18. Rawl Well-Known Member

and if you use the layout editor, it is just a matter of determining the location and putting the item(s) exactly where you want them to be. For me, I generally get a close approximation, then tweak it until it is just right.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You can also use the Notepad Method for that as well, though the Layout Editor is way faster...once you get past the learning curve. ;->

Uwk
    seriously considering getting out the hiking boots and the "knapsack on my back" to tackle it...
    Merriel likes this.
  20. Rawl Well-Known Member

I think I have a way to make the wrought iron look thicker without increasing the tri count a lot, but it isn't applied to this example.

[IMG]
    Merriel, Moonpanther, chattie and 2 others like this.