Personal Harvest Depot (small) Bugged?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ocarinah, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Mermut Well-Known Member

Biggest reason I'd like a second depot.. to store my frostfell mats in off season. That way I don't have to try to figure out which to take out when I go to get my FF mats. They're the only thing in the depot, so I take it all out into the FF bags. When the season is over, they all go back into the depot to save shared bank (or house vault) space.
    Karrane likes this.
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Isn't that what other houses are for?
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

That would work too, but currently all of my toons live in my main's crafting basement. It's more convenient if I don't have to switch between multiple houses. For those who want it for crafting, it makes even more sense, actually, since they'd need extra stations in each house. For me it's a once a year thing, so paying rent on 'another house' just to get the mats out at the beginning of the season and put them back at the end is just a bother, not a hassle.
  4. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Personally, being able to set smaller depots to different levels of access was the useful part. I don't mind letting even visitors use my common mats, but paws off my rares, transmutes, reactants and holiday mats :)
    Karrane, Finora and Alenna like this.
  5. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Now hold the phone. This is not asking for developer time on small issue. It was documented on many forums and websites that we would have a small depot still that holds 100 items and then a large one that would hold 1000. The large one would be house-lore and the small one would have lore restriction removed. Old depots turn into small depots. There are lots of small depots out there already. If small depots were truely a bug then why didn't they fix it before release of the game update? This info was posted day one of testing so there should have been plenty of time to not allow the small depots to be crafted. Why wouldnt our old ones turn into large depots then if small ones are bugs? If they dont want more than one harvesting depot, how about more access options so that common mats have 3 settings and then non-common mats have 3 settings as well (which would help out guild hall depots as well). Why do we have to go back to having multiple houses again just for enough depots? Why? It doesn't consume developer time since they already had it working. There was no documentation that they would be removing the small depots which is annoying and a little shady in my book. Use the guild hall for allowing people to let strangers craft....I know plenty of guilds having trouble keeping mats stocked, why would they allow non-guildies to use their mats? It was working just fine allowing us to have both a large and a small depot. And why is it such a storage problem if you have in one house verses multiple houses it still the same amount os storage? If it really is that big of an issue then the lore tag should have stayed on the small depots or made them house-lore like all the other depots that way we can still have rares secure and common mats available without them redoing the access permissions tab on the depots. I used to craft proof of pudding and shawl updates in my house so that there was not much zoning and was quicker since most of my alts are parked at their apprentice already and so customer just sits in my house and toons are already to go in the right spot. I like crafting holiday stuff in my house as well so that I am not sharing those mats that I have to harvest myself (no pony or goblin) with an entire guild. I have customers that cannot even zone into the t3 guild halls or they will crash and having a house with crafting stations was best option....now you want me to buy yet another set of crafting stations? I found out people were getting banned for having more than one of the old depots even right up until it was announced we were getting a bunch of new personal depots so I went and deleted mine so I wouldn't get banned. Now I am kicking myself cuz then I wouldn't have to worry about no longer being able to make the small depots. Its bad enough that we still cannot hold all of the fuel in one depot, now this. Grrr why am I a crafter?
    Elostirion likes this.
  6. Avirodar Well-Known Member

The people who exploited the small depots, should be thanking their lucky stars that the only consequence is a forward-only fix.

Regarding the bewildered claims that it was "not game breaking"? Hailing another players baby griffon at the start of DoV was hardly game breaking, and guess what happened to those people? Given that the depot bug required significantly greater "intent" to exploit, players who were punished for the Griffon quest got it rough.

A good solution. :)
  7. Finora Well-Known Member

There was no exploit after the large depot was added. As far as everyone knew it was completely intended that the small depots would be no longer lore & you could place them as you wished in our homes. None of us even knew it was a bug until Caith stated it was in this thread. It was never indicated as such on Beta. Of course everyone knew about the exploit/bug with the lore prior to the new depots being added, that isn't the subject of this thread though.

And frankly, I'm curious as to how it is so much more awful to be able to have several small depots in a single house rather than 50 1000 slot depots in 50 different houses. Because that is what you can do now (and could with the small depots before). More if you have alts with houses. Heck you can buy as many alts as you want and as many houses as each can have & stuff a depot in every one of them.

I won't say no one would do it, but really how many would? Who would need so many boxes. Everyone here & the vast number of other people who would use them want small depots just to sort out some things from the big common box and yes, we can do what we always did prior to the large depot and brief small depot existance and just have them all in different houses, but it's a real letdown after thinking it wasn't going to be that way anymore.
  8. Avirodar Well-Known Member

As Caith explained, it is a "potentially unlimited storage" issue.

By the same merits of the logic you attempted to present, because players can make multiple alts, thus multiplying the bag slots and bank slots available to them, that all individual characters should be given unlimited storage for all types of items.

The simple answer is: No.

An exploit was identified, and SOE evaluated the best way to resolve the issue. Late in testing of proposed changes, new information came to light that caused SOE to adjust. Just because the adjustment does not suit your "personal" agenda, does not mean SOE did the wrong thing. The adjustment made by SOE was a very amicable solution given the nature of the issue, and people should be happy for it.

They could have just as easily implemented a fix that not only retained, but physically enforced the lore flag on depots, resulting in a "too bad, too sad, you exploited, deal with the losses" change. Would have that made you happier?

That is why I said, people who abused the exploit (before fixes were applied), should be counting their lucky stars.
    Kuulei likes this.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

I never exploited it. So it would not have affected me in the least. In fact my old depots from prior to the change are still sitting in the houses they were in because I was too lazy to empty them & move them. I just made some new small ones to accomidate my needs for the houses I was working with at the time.

Addressing the unlimited storage, even with just the large depots you have what amounts to unlimited space. 50 houses with 1000 slot depots is a massive amount of storage. That's just on one character. No one would ever need that much even if the game lasted another 10 years. I seriously question the unlimited storage issue simply because it already exists & I doubt many use the full number they could. Probably no more than 3-4 simply for sorting.

SO if they are really concerned about unlimited storage there's a little more info for them. And it's not really anything one would need to be concerned about because having that much storage space for harvests is pointless.
  10. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Does nothing to dispute that a single player should not have unlimited private storage, in a single location.

The case you're trying to make, only makes a case that the Devs should review personal storage depots as a whole. A potential result of that could be limiting storage depots to just 1 per character, regardless of if they own 1, or 20 homes.

So you can either smile and thank the Devs for fixing an exploit, or keep complaining about it. Your call.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I've always said they never wanted a single instance of private storage to come close to or surpass guild storage. This just proves it.
  12. Elostirion Well-Known Member

It does?
    a) I dont know that looking at the state of something has ever translated into knowing the intentions of EQ devs...
    b) I'm actually uncertain on the details, but how is a large depot different from a guild depot? IIRC they are identical
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I find it hard to ignore the possibility when the numerical difference stays at about half the value of the other.

We started off with nothing for personal storage. Guilds got a 200 slot box. We later got a 100 slot box, which wasn't supposed to exist multiple times in the same house. When people managed to game the system to achieve multiples of the same depot in a house, it was considered an exploit, but one they wouldn't take drastic measures to correct. They finally got better coding on the item and introduced a new version, making sure the other boxes didn't bug out or anything. We now have 1000 slots vs 2000 in the guild box. Every other type of depot holds half of what the other can hold.

It's a pattern of behavior that spells intent.
  14. Elostirion Well-Known Member

That was the pertinent bit :p

TY.

P.S. It is SoE's intention that everyone cluster in their personal guild halls leaving towns barren, and it is their intent to decrease the incentive over time for groups up for content? Is it their intent to always have a flavor-of-the-year tank class? Because those are multi-year consistently built patterns too ;) .
  15. Deveryn Well-Known Member

All I can think of is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." :p
  16. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Um, can you check your guild box? Mine only shows 1000.
  17. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I don't have one :p I guess I was misremembering.:oops:
  18. Aneova Member

Lore and Legend depot needs another 100 or so slots, just saying, for all the creature parts.
  19. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they gave us a nice recipe for FF that made a harvest box that could be "placed" in house that would hold FF mats only !
    Pretty please :)
  20. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I thought I read a rumor that FF crafting stations would appear as house items. If that was more than a rumor I'll run happily off dancing and to heck with a special depot.
    Edit: and probably by many many many stacks of FF fuel as well. Plat sink.