New to EQ2 pvp

Discussion in 'PvP TLE Discussion' started by Liliun, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Liliun Member

I was a bit disappointed that the only planned TLE is going to be PvP, but I've decided to give it a go. I'll be wondering around during Beta to get a feel for it, but I have never tried pvp in EQ2 outside of dueling from time to time.

From my understanding this is going to be teams, which I'm supposing to mean Qeynos vs Freeport, please correct me if I'm wrong. It would be nice if there is a good mix of both PvP and PvE interest in the community, but was checking to see if folks who have previously played on PvP servers can comment on this. It would just be disappointing to start out and find that there isn't much interest in PvE content other than what needs to be done to lvl up.

Also, how is the class distribution generally? From what I've heard from others, SKs and some scout classes tend to have advantages, and hordes of those classes running around murdering everyone else can make things not fun pretty quickly. I expect to die (a lot) at the hands of other players, but a death every twenty steps because I decided to not play one of those classes would get old very, very quickly.

I suppose overall I'm just looking for a little bit of info on what to expect. Again, I'm going to be on beta so I can dip my toes into the water, but any kind of info or advice from experience pvp players would be appreciated.
  2. Frostfang Member

At lvl 10, you are permanently flagged for pvp in all non instanced zones outside of your faction's capital city. There is actually a third faction you can PVP in which is called Exile. Exiles in Haven do not have pvp immunity and all Exiles are able to attack anyone in the game so it's essentially guild vs guild on Exile. Exiles are also able to be killed by anyone of any level, but you don't receive proper kill credit for killing a grey con player.

If you have interest in pve content such as raiding or dungeons, you shouldn't be disappointed.

I think class distribution is usually alright, but depending on whether or not the server launches with AA in Kingdom of Sky era, the class distribution could be different. Some classes will perform better than others without AA, such as Scouts, some suffer like Sorcerers, which don't have access to Manashield. I think the biggest class distribution difference on pvp compared to pve is that you should generally see less Mages in general, especially Summoners.

If you aren't on a SK, Brawler, or Scout class, soloing might be a bit rough from the get go. It's not uncommon to see groups roaming even the starting zones and slaughtering solo players. There are pvp level ranges in the game. Starting areas like Frostfang Sea are a 4 level range meaning lvl 14 players can attack as low as lvl 10 players and be attacked by those as high as lvl 18 players. Players can lvl lock at tiers such as this and basically just have people on farm.Characters killed in PvP will drop up to 70% of the coin they are carrying with them. Coin kept in the bank is not affected. There is also a high chance that they will drop one of the tradeable items that they are carrying in their bags. Attuned and No-Trade/Heirloom items will not be lost. (You can only get credit for killing a player every 30 minutes. This can be tracked by /recent)

If you are actively questing in Frostfang Sea or Darklight Wood from lvl 10 onwards, you may want to consider grouping or switching zones to level.
    Liliun likes this.
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

Roll a woodworker and don't leave home without butterfly (see through other players' stealth) and owl (see through other players' Invisibility) totems! :) (And WWs can make weapons for every class except Scout melee weapons besides.) You can also become invisible/stealthed with totems at L30 no matter what class you play. It's going to be 6-mans of oranges constantly roaming and bell camping for greens. (Try to find zones not directly attached to bells to level up in.) These newbie tips are for the greens!

Before L20 it's harder because you can't see Stealthed players (Scouts with Stealth and Tracking) coming at you, because butterfly (and owl) totems require L20 to use, and Scouts hit hardest when in stealth. But even if they're higher level, you'll see them at the last second when they're about a "virtual 3-foot radius" away from you. Mages (@teens) and Monks (@L24) get Invisibility, and @L24 Illusionists and @L45 Furies both get Group Invisibility, but Invisible classes have to come out of Invisibility to cast at you/attack you. Still, carry both totems from L20 on so you know who's about. At level 70, you can get the vision of the cat totem which allows you to see through Invis and Stealth.

1. Every time you're killed you have a very high chance to drop 70% of the cash you're carrying, plus 1 unbound item from your bags (rare mats, gear etc). If you have a stack of something (like mats or totems), you'll only drop 1, though. If you get something good, quickly portal home to a safe bank (probably Qeynos and Freeport will be safe cities where no PvP is allowed, with all other cities like FFS etc being open PvP). Still, beware the common "gank at the bank" scenario! If Qeynos and Freeport are PvP enabled like all other cities (which I'd love but probably most people wouldn't, so it probably won't be the case) then use Everfrost bank at its dock (immunity timer will at least let you blast to the bank and throw things in, in a frenzy, before you may be killed). Or use a remote bank in a high-level zone that less people will think of.

2. Relog or use a 2nd account and use a pre-Level-10 Scout with Tracking to check out everyone who's in a zone before you enter. Ditto for bank runs. It really only takes less than a minute. You can also use this same locked@L9 Scout (Scouts have run speed buffs too) to harvest in every tier's lowest-aggro areas if you're a crafter or want to build wealth fast by selling mats. If it's "fair" for twinks to lock at L14, gear up and endlessly grief and bell/flight camp new L10s, it's just as "fair" for harvesters to lock@L9 and harvest. If they didn't let people lock before L10 but let twinks lock after that, the devs would be tilting the entire server toward favoring griefers over crafters--not too good for the PvP server population, which is why they've allowed it in the past.

3. KEEP MOVING! :) They can know you're there, but they still have to get to you! Team up whenever possible, and quest in zones with green/blue mobs so you can handle common griefers who wait til you're engaged with a mob to strike. Also, if a mob is involved in the fight and an enemy player kills you, your gear will take damage and need repairs just like if a mob killed you.

4. Embrace your crowd control! As a Conjuror for example, you can throw down Earthquake, your AoE knockdown, and especially if it's Experted/Mastered, even higher level enemy player teams will fall and you and any other lowbie teammates there with you can run, or you can stay and attack the one lower-level player on their team if there is one. Kill him and open his loot crate amidst the frenzy, and hope you don't lose his drop again when you're killed by the rest of his higher-level team. :p Always Expert craft or master your class's lifesaving skills!

5. Scout Tracking only works if they can "see" through your Stealth/Invis with skills or totems, but once they can, they get a gold tracking wisp right to you, even if you're Stealthed or Invis. It's Scout Tracking that's so OP (incoming lazy Scout cries, ignoring the fact that EQ2 was created and balanced as a PvE game that added PvP over 2 years later). Predators (Rangers/Assassins) have Stealth but can only see through Invisibility, and need butterfly totems to see through Stealth, for example. They can see through Invis with a class skill, so when they use that skill anyone Invis will show up on their Tracker, and it's the same for their ability to see through Stealth if they use butterfly totems. Rogues (Brigands and Swashies) can see through Stealth and have Stealth. Both Predators and Rogues can also use poisons (made by Alchemists) which makes all 4 even more damaging. Bards (Dirges and Troubadors) can't see through Invis or Stealth without totems and can't use poisons, but they get lots of team buffs. Bards still do get Tracking and stealth, though.

6. Match racial traditions to your class, mindful of which can reduce run speed penalties for Stealth and Invisibility, Increase poison damage, etc. https://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Racial_Traditions_(EQ2) And you can see every skill for every class here, just change the very last word (Conjuror) to whatever specific class you want to see: https://eq2.zam.com/db/abilitylist.html?class=Conjuror

7. Some classes, like both Warriors (Berserker and Guardian) and both Shaman (Mystic and Defiler) just do worse than the others in PvP. If you want to tank, Crusaders (Shadowknight and Paladin) are the strongest for damage and survivability, and both Druid healers with their instant-cast DoT heals and portals are the superior choice (Furies are a little higher damage than Wardens, though no healers do great damage and as team healer/rezzer you have a "gank me 1st" sign on your forehead). Shamans' way-too-long cast times and too-low damage will result in death a lot if you're not constantly in a strong 6-person team. As far as casters go, Summoners and Enchanters are typically strong in PvP, despite dev nerfs here and there. Any PvP server is usually "World of Scouts, with lesser amounts of Enchanters, Summoners, Druids and Crusaders thrown in."

8. Usually the toughest talkers are the first ones to use any cheat or exploit (like using Nagafen Seasonal's pre-nerfed discovery XP to level to cap in a couple hours in their underwear, or selling fame over chat, or farming alts for fame, etc.). They also farm greens and run from most everyone else, bell camp newbie zones, and stick with EZ mode, OP classes. Teaming can put off some griefers who are not currently in big teams themselves.

These are just some things for new PvP players off the top of my head. Always remember that no one is going to tow away your car or evict you from your home over losing a PvP fight in a game. It's just little pixels after all, and you can always alternate EQ2 play times on a PvE server as well. You aren't forced to be only on a PvP server forevermore because you play there sometimes. Always remember: It's not "retreating," it's "regrouping."

Have fun, and see you April 6th for your "practice sessions" during the Tarinax beta that get wiped afterward anyway! ;)
    Aggy, Schmetterling, Freed and 6 others like this.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, PS/

9. All racial traits that allow "floating down off mountains and jumping a lot further without taking damage every time he/she is losing a fight" have been permanently disabled on PvP servers for years now. That includes Fae and Arasai traits like glide.

Not sure if we'll have tinkering in EoF to make things like Gnomish Parachutes and Fae Wing Cloaks?

10. And Scout Tracking shows all players in a zone, Stealthed/Invisible or not (if said Scout has totems/skills on to see through those), plus their player levels vs the Scout's in conned colors: Oranges, Yellows, Blues, Greens etc. Tracking also has a gold tracking wisp to lead Scouts right to their chosen (usually green) target even if the target's moving.

Racial Tracking only usually shows Friendlies on the PvE servers, but it was helpful during 2019's seasonal FFA PvP for the 18 classes that aren't Scouts and don't have class Tracking, because griefers are lazy and never leave home if they can sit at their own sides' newbie bells and kill their own greens every day. Everyone with Racial Tracking could see color-conned enemy player targets when enemies were still 100 meters away, just like Scouts can. Note: Racial Tracking was actually working to show player enemies and their color cons throughout the Tarinax PvP beta, even though it was Factional PvP (FP vs Q) with Exiles, so if you had a Halfling, Wood Elf, Half Elf or Kerra, but you weren't a Scout, you still had fully functional PvP player tracking like Scouts get that even gave you the gold wisp. We'll see if the devs leave it in at launch, to try and combat "World of Scouts" syndrome across the server and encourage more healers and tanks to play on Tarinax.

If I can think of any other things I'll add them later.
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh yeah: Alchemists make healing potions every class can use, plus Scout poisons, and all Fighter (tank) spells.

Bards (Troubadors and Dirges) can cast spells (of which they have quite a few) while moving!

All Scouts can cast Stealth and their bow skills while moving, too.

Mages and priests can't. They're turrets that have to stand still to cast practically all of their spells.

Crusaders (Paladins and Shadowknights) can cast on the run too, but they only get one or two ranged spells.
  6. Intuit New Member

Fury/Troub box, Warden/Dirge, or Sk/Dirge... so many choices
  7. Liliun Member

Lots of great info, definitely a lot of stuff I had no clue about. I was wondering about crafting because I have a bit of a crafting problem, so if they allow it the level locking at 9 will be a must for all of those alts. I was also debating on activating my second account for this, and everything I've read indicates it is a good idea. Thank you, I'll check back periodically up to beta release, and possibly after to ask more questions!
    Siren likes this.
  8. Siren Well-Known Member

Oh, also: use macros. Otherwise you will be way too slow against anyone else that does.

And heroic opportunities do not function in PvP. They can only be used against mobs (due to lag?).
    Freed and Breanna like this.
  9. Siren Well-Known Member

Apprentice spells and skills are the least powerful and most often-resisted version of a spell or skill, and you get those automatically as you level up.

Journeyman spells and skills are crafted with regular harvested mats from zones, and are a little more powerful (though still pretty weak and still resisted a bit).

Adept spells and skills are loot drops (red books) more powerful and less resisted than Apprentice and Journeyman. Random ones drop here and there off mobs. As you level and fight higher level mobs, Adept drops will increase in level too.

Expert spells and skills are crafted from rare mats. They're more powerful than those others and less resisted. Rares seem to have about a 1% drop rate, but if you level crafting to L15, you can add enough Tradeskill AA (Alternate Advancement) points to increase rare mat drops by another 1% (by default, press L for the AA window, which contains all class and crafting AAs.) Expert recipes drop off mobs (they say "Advanced," vs the basic recipes for Journeyman spells/skills that you buy off crafting trainers in the crafting areas of towns). Actually, Tier 1 (L1-9) Expert recipes are available to buy off crafting trainers too, but both Qeynosians and Freeporters have to do a crafting quest line in Frostfang Sea to buy Advanced recipes for Tier 2 (L10-19). Qs visit Qeynosian Tami in the FFS building to the right of the bank for it (w/green feather over her head), while Freeporters need to find the Dark Elf (w/green feather over her head) down the hill from Frostfang, in the alcove with the Scout trainers plus the Broker that both Freeporters and Qeynosians can use. Either NPC only sells Tier 2 Advanced recipes to you after you complete that crafting quest line (the advanced recipes are cheap but no-trade, so every character must do the quest line for access). Bad news on Tier 3 (L20-29) Advanced Recipes and up: The crafting quest line for these is in Butcherblock, which didn't go in until Echoes of Faydwer expansion which won't be in launch. Your only choice til EoF unlocks is to grind for Advanced recipe drops, Adept book drops, or craft lowly Journeyman spells and skills.

Master Spells and skills are very rare drops from dungeons, more powerful/less resisted than even Experts. You can also train them in-game and offline but they take increasingly longer to finish as you level. Press K and then click the Upgrades tab. Your spells and combat skills are also there in other tabs for you to drag down to your skills bars as you level.

Grandmaster spells can't be researched on the TL Progression servers like Kaladim and Tarinax as they can on the live, L120 servers. They're only available on TLs as "Character Development" spell and skill upgrades once every 10 levels on the 4's (L14, 24, 34 etc.) and only a few of them at that. Press L, then the Character Development button at top left, then the 3rd tab at top right.

Scout spells and skills are crafted by Jewelers (who also make jewelry, but city NPC jewelers in Neriak, Qeynos, etc. sell similar quality jewelry cheap-- loot drops are best). Mage and Priest spells and skills are crafted by Sages. Alchemists make all tank spells, poisons for Scouts and healing potions and other pots.
    Freed and Liliun like this.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

A possible FYI for vets who've played in previous betas who might still have old beta character files hanging around, that could be mixed in with the new Tarinax beta folder files, and might prevent you from logging into the Tarinax beta once it's up.

Right now inside my newly-downloaded Beta server folder, inside the Cache Folder, then inside the Character Folder, then finally inside of another Beta folder is my old defunct 2019 Seasonal 1 beta character folder and info still in there. That same old 2019 beta character still shows on the locked character screen when I try logging into the new beta (beta isn't up yet, I know, but I was checking just in case).

I just deleted that buried 2019 character folder just in case. This same bug happened during the old Freeport F2P server beta and people with older beta character info still in there that got mixed in with the new beta files couldn't log onto the new beta server.

I hope that won't be the case this time, but I deleted my old 2019 Naggy Seasonal beta character folder just in case.

Edited to add: Even after deleting the buried 2019 character folder, that character was still showing up on the locked login screen for me. Others had the same problem.

I just tried Ecno's solution (now Ecno no longer shows any characters, just a greyed out Create Character button as it should be), and that helped me get rid of that old 2019 beta character bug for good. Now my locked beta screen looks just like Ecno's, pic shown below. Here's his fix:

Ecno— Today at 3:56 PM
    Ok deleted everything from betaserver file except the paks, music and ui... revalidated assets and let it reinstall. Good to go with fresh setup... @This is "Actually Siren". @Dreamweaver, 200% Boss of Bord Thanks for heads up... hope others fix that issue too just in case.
    [COLOR=var(--text-link)][IMG][/COLOR]
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Siren Well-Known Member

Beta server warning: FFA (Free for All, Factionless) PvP is what's enabled for beta for now (even though Tarinax launch will be Factions with Exiles). The next beta update will switch the server to Factions with Exiles.

There are lots of bugs, but just do /bug reports or post in the PvP Beta section of the forums (scroll way down on the main forum categories page).

And when you're rolling a beta character, use the 3rd server choice-- EVENT -- which says PvP at the bottom of the box in small print if you look.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

Warning for new players:

Right now we are flagged for PvP from level 1 on. It's Factional PvP now (Freeport vs Qeynos) instead of FFA, so they fixed that, but apparently flagging at adventure (fight) level 10 like usual got broken somehow in the process.

The newbie islands (Outpost of the Overlord and Queen's Colony) aren't flagged because each side can't get to the others' newbie island anyway, so you aren't PvP enabled there, but whenever you leave, you're immediately permanently flagged. (I think Qeynos and Freeport cities aren't PvP enabled, but everywhere else including other cities is open PvP.)

I left the newbie island at L8 with one character and then Level 1 with the next just to test it, and they were both immediately flagged for PvP in Frostfang Sea the second I zoned in with each of them. I /bugged it, but for now, beware. ;)
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Peak Nagafun

Even more importantly, they can make freedom of action (stun/stifle immunity), freedom of mind (cures root/fear, gives root/fear immunity, snare reduction), cures for each det type, and ward potions for arcane, elemental, and noxious.
  14. Peak Nagafun

Should. Tinkering was released in EoF.
    Also, previous PVP iterations had access to the marketplace cloaks which all have slowfall effects.

Unless it was changed, being tagged (damaged) while using a slowfall cloak will cause the effect to end until you hit the ground.
  15. Peak Nagafun

There are some exceptions to this as well.

For example:
    • Illusionist's Mez
    • Sorcerer's Invisibility (or at least Wiz)
    • Fury's Pact of the Cheetah
    Not an exhaustive list obviously. The moral of the story is read your abilities.
  16. Peak Nagafun

You may want to consider setting one or more of the following binds in your options:

[IMG]

They are not set by default.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

typing /who in chat while in any zone will tell you the total amount of people in the zone (both enemies and friendlies, even in steathed or invisible). It won't name names or levels, but will give you a total zone count.

/who all lists everyone on the server. It gives names, but not levels if they're set to Anonymous (in Character sheet, Options at bottom left, then near the top will be Anonymous you can checkmark on, so no one can see your level during /who alls).

However, where the PvP beta was based partly on the former FFA PvP seasonal server rules and never managed to totally separate into factional PvP with Exiles properly (everyone could still team, trade, etc) and launch PvP TL Tarinax is supposed to concretely be Factional with Exiles, /who and /who all may possibly only show you your own side's population and not enemy players/Exiles? We'll have to see at launch May 11.

If you want to see if a /who all name is a friendly or not, try adding them to Friends (EQ2 button bottom left of your screen, Community near top of list, then type their name into friends). If the name won't go in, they're not of your Faction. I'd think that could mean they're Exiled too, but it's been 5 years since we had Exiles in-game so I can't remember for sure.

New L10s: Get all the quests inside Qeynos or Freeport you can. Some can give you XP and rewards right in town. Also find your racial mentor NPC: they'll give you a race-specific instanced quest line. You can not only level up and get rewards, but you can grind for advanced recipes for a bit in there. Remember, T3 (L20-29) and up there is no crafting quest line to give you advanced recipes because that NPC is in Butcherblock, which doesn't go in til EoF expansion (only up to KoS will be open at launch). It's loot drops or the broker to buy others' loot drops for advanced recipes (for Expert class spells/skills etc.) or nothing.

Be sure to team up as soon as you're going to leave town to avoid the 6-person orange gank machines.
  18. Siren Well-Known Member

Betrayal: 8 classes are faction locked on PvE servers (4 Freeport: Shadowknight, Necromancer, Brigand, Defiler and their 4 Qeynos "mirror classes": Paladin, Conjuror, Swashbuckler and Mystic). However, on the PvP server you can betray and keep your class (you don't have to permanently change from a Shadowknight to a Paladin if you betray Freeport and become a Qeynosian, or permanently change from a Necromancer to a Conjuror, etc).

Say you want to betray your Shadowknight from Freeport to Qeynos and play a Qeynosian Shadowknight instead. You can do this on the PvP server. During beta, you will need a Betrayal Token from Fitch, the giant PvP NPC in South Freeport (he's in Qeynos Harbor, too). The Betrayal Token may be gotten from a different NPC come launch, but it's usually available from an NPC merchant of some sort. At least during Beta, this Betrayal Token costs 1 status point. (It may cost more at launch, not sure.) You earn status from PvP, and from mob-dropped status items (like relics, scrying stones and amulets) and mob-dropped lore and legend items (even orc skins/parts that drop from L12 orcs in the Sprawl can be sold to the status vendor NPC lady near the SFP dock bell; just 1 orc skin gives 125 status, for example).

Once you have earned 1 status point you can buy a Betrayal Token from Giant NPC Fitch (check your earned status by pressing C for Character Window then near the top of your stats, to the right in that window, you will see Status amount). Right click the Betrayal Token and Use it. You will temporarily have to agree to become a Paladin. But you can change back to Shadowknight as soon as you go to Qeynos Harbor.

You're looking for the Priest of Discord who is underwater, near the QH broker. Just to the right of the Broker down in the canal, swim underwater. On the left wall once underwater, you'll see a hole in the wall. Quickly swim through that hole, and follow the path swimming up. The Priest of Discord is in that Secret Alcove once you climb out of the water.

And courtesy of Liav, here's a great screenshot of the conversation tree you have with the Priest of Discord to change classes/sides (from Pally back to Shadowknight in Qeynos for my example here). This works for any faction locked Class to make it playable on the other side.

Alternatively, if you want a Qeynos race to be a Shadowknight, roll a Paladin Qeynos-side. Then just visit this same Priest of Discord through the water tunnel in the hidden alcove, and follow the same conversation tree to become a Shadowknight.

You will need the Priest of Discord on the Freeport Side to betray from Qeynos to Freeport, similarly using Fitch's betrayal token from Qeynos Harbor, then going to the Priest of Discord in Freeport. I'm not sure exactly where that Priest of Discord is in FP, but fair warning: There are 2 Priests of Discord in Qeynos (the "wrong" one is in Qeynos Harbor right across from the giant Clock, with the bank to his left). There may well be 2 of them in Freeport, too.

19. Siren Well-Known Member

Besides camping the other side of newbie zone bells, gates, and respawn points, griefers often wait in stealth on top of Griffon stations. You can avoid these attacks by hitting the space bar to jump off Griffons anywhere, before the end of the flight. Just make sure you're somewhat low to the ground (or try jumping down onto a hill) because your character can take falling damage. Various races like Kerra have the Safe Fall skill, or similar "Padded Landing" skills which you can train up by using them over and over, to reduce the damage you take from jump landings.

FYI: Racial skills that reduce maximum falling speed were also functional during the Tarinax beta. However, they carry a disclaimer: Dark Elf Hover and High Elf Mind Over Matter both say "This ability will cancel, 20% of the time, when struck by a player." (Elves' racial Portal-to-Target tooltip still says it works, too, as long as you're not already in combat.)

Conversely, though, Fae Glide, which lets you float away further and isn't just for falling speed, still says it cannot be used in a PvP zone (Fae and Arasai Glides have been disabled on PvP servers for years).

The devs have previously stated that premium races like the Freeblood, Aerakyn and Vah Shir will not be available for launch. So it was interesting that they were all playable during beta. The Aerakyn's Wing Beat racial skill, which increases out-of-combat run speed by 50%, was also functional. Wing Beat simply carried the same "This ability will cancel, 20% of the time, when struck by a player" caveat as Hover and Mind Over Matter.

Kerra's Feral Rage, a 50% "in combat" run speed increase that lasts for a whopping 36 seconds (even mounts are only 47% speed and don't work in combat), was working fine in beta, albeit with a stricter "This ability will cancel when struck by a player, period" notice. Feral Rage also had a note at the bottom that said it couldn't be used in PvP combat, only in PvE. It certainly worked for quick runaways if you got in over your head fighting mobs (and without draining your power way down like every races' Sprint does, and Sprint is slower @40% too). Feral Rage has a 5 minute recharge, not bad for those quick escapes while soloing, whenever enemy player teams appear over the horizon, but it stops if a player manages to hit you before you've gotten away. At that point you'd have to switch to Sprint (they're each on separate recharges).

Also, all races that have Tracking (including Wood Elves, Half Elves, Halflings and even those Kerras!) could track enemy players from about 100 meters away during this "factional PvP with Exiles" FP vs Q beta, just the same as the 6 Scouts always can. This finally gave the 18 classes without Scout Tracking the ability to get a heads up when rolling bands of enemy oranges were storming their way, camped at a respawn point, or hidden up high, unreachable, targeting long-distance kills while stealthed.

We'll see what actually makes it to launch: Vah Shir Pounce would likely cause quite a kerfuffle if Vah Shir wind up on live (they were actually playable during beta, but I don't have them unlocked, so I'm not sure what Pounce's tool tip restriction, if any, might have said).

Oh! And whenever you're killed in PvP (or even killed by mobs), you get a death debuff at your respawn point that lasts for a number of minutes (it far outlasts your immunity timer, which is only 20 seconds). This death debuff greatly reduces your armor protection and damage output the whole time (I think by 75%), so beware those respawn point gankers, who also know of your dilemma and await you there to strike you right down once again.

Edited again to add: Both Melee Auto Attack and Ranged Auto Attack are bugged! You haven't been able to switch between them mid-fight for the entire PvP beta (I think they're currently bugged on the live servers, too). Workaround: manually click on whichever Auto Attack you're using to disengage it, then click on the other one to switch to using it. I /bugged it, but the devs probably already know.
  20. Pheelin Active Member

Slight correction on the freedom potion, they don't cure they only grant immunity. I remember back in the day some classes (wizard was one i think) that had a very long duration root, if you used the freedom pot you could be immune for 10 seconds but after it wore off you were rooted again. There are cure potions for every type tho. Most classes only have a few CC that matter to line up their burst so those pots are extremely effective..

To the new person:

There will be interest in PVE, you might see some people crying about we want pvp gear because this is a pvp server and all we want to do is pvp. The majority of players that take the game seriously will always do the PVE, most of us like the game as a whole not only 1 aspect. Adding pvp to your contested raid mob encounters and different aspects of the game make it that much more fun. If people play this server and stick around, there will be raid vs.raid trying to take contested mobs, along with stead 6 man groups roaming around. Also some solo players just looking for ganks, expect it all.
    Spectre, Yayoh and Siren like this.