NEW NEW NEW! Holiday House Exchange 2018 (HHE18) Official Announcement Thread

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ealdian, Jan 16, 2018.

1. elflover Well-Known Member

Yes my home owners got the mail, but I am having issues entering the homes I was assigned, hopefully will be fixed in the morning I realize I'm a night owl and most aren't. Just means I have to wait a bit longer :(.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, my dear, you may be an owl, but I'm a bat...vampire, that is. ;->

They didn't get you Access yet? :(

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  3. Ratbill Well-Known Member

I couldn't enter my HHE18 assignment house when I tried to visit it at the door/portal. I had to use the Guildhall House Portal (the thingy placed inside a GH) to enter it. It showed up properly and I can enter the house without a problem when using it. Perhaps the same will work for you and/or others with the same problem.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's odd...is your character Evil and the home owner Good, or the other way 'round? Because if you can get in via the GH House Portal, you should be able to get in via the front door. If they hadn't paid their rent, you still wouldn't be able to get in by the GH Portal. :-/

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  5. Ealdian Well-Known Member

Uwk,

I am Aney's alt on the Thurg server. Please explain in the most EXACT detail how to set up two folders. Can I just create a new file folder in the game directory?
  6. elflover Well-Known Member

Ratbill its not an issue of being good or evil, I just don't have trustee access therefor I cant do anything. I sent Aneylee a message in game and forum with more details of the home and all so she can fix it.
  7. Aneylee Well-Known Member

I sent you mail Elflover and am not sure what kinda crazy is going on, but I will be on tonight so hopefully we can get this figured out!!
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Errrrrrr...most of this/all of this, I got by following other folks' far wiser advice on other techie threads in the Forums (and I highly recommend looking them up; Sigrdrifa is pretty savvy and easy to find ;->), but I'll give it a go... :-/

I have both set up in my C: drive (which may or may not be wise /shrug), so the respective paths look like this:

C:\EQ2_EU\[multitudinous game files] (named for the European Union/Britain)

and

C:\EQ2_UST\[multitudinous game files] (named for US and Test; it usually isn't that slow going between either, and I have tons of alts on both ;->)

Basically, I originally just had the one set of game files when I installed it way back when, so I clicked on the overall directory once to highlight it and just went Ctrl+C, and it created an Everquest2_copy sort of thing. Once the dust finally settled on all those files and subdirectories being copied (including things like EverQuestII itself and its attendant subdirectories [like Test Server], JesDyr's Layout Editor, etc., etc.), I went ahead and renamed both overarching directories, one EQ2_UST and the other EQ2_EU. Afterwards, I logged in to one just using either the US and/or Test regions, and the other just using the European region.

Smooth sailing ever since, especially during Frostfell (when you have over 7 dozen alts, you gotta time everything to the second with Santa Glug...Excel is my BFF), but if/when you get a new expansion, you have to consolidate the two back into one, I'd found, otherwise it gets really confused in odd ways... :-/ For that, I think I just Moved everything back from one into the other (doesn't matter which, though when mine was confused, the EU one was behaving better), and if your Windows is anything like mine, you'll get a lot of stupid questions asked ("Whaddaya want me to do with this directory/file/whatever it is? You want me to replace it, copy it, what?"), and usually it's safest just to tell it to override everything with the exact same file name with a more recent date (saves time on updating later ;->). Anything that doesn't have the exact same name will be moved over separately, of course, like merging any other two directories. :)

Or, it's entirely possible that I went into Control Panel (I still have Win7) and just Uninstalled the older one of the two versions I had of EQ2 there...at any rate, once I logged in again to the survivor, the game happily absorbed the expansion's files, and after it was settled down with a smile on its face, I ruthlessly divided it up into two parts/copies again. It's been awhile, it was late at night, and I was frustrated, at the end of my wits. ;->

Either way, it takes awhile, and twice as much space on your hard drive, of course, but you only really need to do it once a year (or twice, to install a new expansion, then divide it up again), and once everything's settled in and comfy, it's a joy to be able to blip into either region fairly smoothly, effortlessly, and quickly...except, of course, on Major Patch Days. But even then, it's no more fuss than usual for that. ;->

If there is a simpler, smaller way to do that, I'd be delighted to hear it, but that's the advice I got from everyone I've ever canvassed about it, including folks who know way more about how computers and this game works than I. :-/

Basically, have two copies of the game. :-/

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  9. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

That sounds like way too much work. . . I guess I was lucky that hubby put 2 drives in my machine (for my art) so I just have EQ on both drives. One for Euro and one for US (although TEST still takes FOREVER to get on. . I tend to give up at 20% because it has taken almost an hour just for THAT.)
  10. Sucreblu Member

I signed up to decorate for hhe18 and havent re'cved my assigned home or a response so not sure what is occurring
    This Honeyy. on AB// verified i did everything correctly that i can tell....first time doing this:)
  11. Aneylee Well-Known Member

Hi Honeyy,

I will go thru my emails again. Did you sign up using Shanette's email or the Aney2018@gmail one?
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's odd; wonder why? With me, unless there's a special Test update, it's no longer than with the US. Though I will say that at one point, I had three versions; one for US, one for Test, one for EU. ;->

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Same boat...not that it's my first time, but I haven't received anything, either in email, in-game mail, or in PM. :-/

Sent both entry emails to Aney2018@gmail.com.

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My sympathies to the organizers! Especially if this is your first event like this here...my ultimate recommendation for many aspects of this game: Excel (or any comparable spreadsheet program). ;->

And just remember...
    [IMG]

Keep smiling, and keep us informed! :D

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.
  15. Sucreblu Member

I signed up sent Aney the email thru gmail:)
    AB/Honeyy
  16. Sucreblu Member

I sent email to Aney2018
  17. Aneylee Well-Known Member

Hi Uwk,
    Check your email as that is where I sent your info :) I sent it again in case it did not go thru the first time.

Honeyy, if you could please re send your entry, I will get you assigned a home. I am not finding it for some reason.

Who would have thought between 2 notebooks and one notepad that this would be so confusing lol.

Again, I apologize for the delay and thank you all for your patience!!!

Thanks,
    Aney~
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

From Aney2018@gmail.com? No, nothing. :(

You might need to send it via PM here. :-/

Uwk
    chafing at the bit to get started...especially since I need all the time I can get my hands on, usually ;)
    Contessia likes this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

ARGH!!!

Not sure if it's your email system or mine, but since I hadn't gotten mail from you that I could find, I checked my Junk/Spam folder, just in case, nothin'. Finally, reluctantly, went on the web mail site, vs. my usual, far more beloved Thunderbird. Nothing. I certainly hadn't put you in my Address Book yet (though believe me, if that's what it would take to convince my mail to display it properly... ;->), so I was very confused when I finally found it, by doing a Search in my web mail site for Aney2018@gmail.com. For some extremely weird reason, it listed all four of the mails you'd sent me, in more than enough time (thanks! :D), under your actual RL name (rather than the email address), which, forgive me, I don't remember if you'd mentioned it here, but I didn't recognize it from Eve. :-/

Found 'em! :D

Uwk
    who still hates this new paradigm, whichever company is doing it, and wonders if others might be confused, too... :-/
    Contessia likes this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, it's good, I'm calm again...though I don't have Trustee access to my decoratee's house for my Carpy. :-/

I'll try with my swappie, see if she does. ;->

Brb... :D

EDIT: Yep, it's with my swappie, but that's okay; she can do the Holiday stuff and my Decorator Carpy can do the tough stuff. ;->

Uwk
    Contessia likes this.