New merc drops

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by jessejames, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jessejames Active Member

I've now been told by several people that these mercs are terrible. Only advantage with these over the ones you hire at the Inn is they are different races.

Doesn't seem all justified consider the dev claimed they are rare (which doesn't appear to be). Any level 1 toon can pick up an Inn merc.
  2. Gninja Developer

Please be specific about why these mercs are considered to be terrible. Please be constructive when posting about things and it helps if it is first hand knowledge.
  3. jessejames Active Member

While we are waiting for in depth reviews can you tell us where these mercs are supposed to stand as far as current mercs? Do you consider them standard quality, ancient, or elite? It'd be unfair to compare them to elite when they never were intended to be that way.
  4. Gaealiege Active Member

I'll have to get back to you after tonight's session of play, Gninja. We'll run the berserker merc and let you know how he's performing.
  5. Gninja Developer

They should be better than the dropped ones in CoE.
  6. Arieste Well-Known Member

I asked this in beta but never got an answer... can you guys tell us what the intended mercenary progression is supposed to be in the game overall?

they ALL level up.. but how is one supposed to know which merc should be better? There is regular mercs, LoN mercs, tradeskill quest mercs, SOE live mercs, ethereal CoE mercs, ethereal AoM mercs, elite SS mercs, elite open world mercs, 10 year vet mercs, expac freebie mercs... how are they all supposed to stack up? Obviously different ones may have different abilities.. but like.. if i had an SK merc of each of those types, what would their comparative strength ranking be?

Or is just totally random?
    splatterpunk28 and Kalika like this.
  7. Kalika Well-Known Member

The difference between Vitia level 100 and Daeron is just insane ....
    Daeron is over 1m hp when grouped with my warden, Vitia sits around 350k.

I agree that there should be a difference, but currently it's just such a gap that "free" (i should write common because the feature has a cost) mercenaries are almost useless.
    Taivr likes this.
  8. gixxisgod Member

You be the judge I have the new paladin merc on sale right now on Freeport server just look up bloodvein!;)
  9. Caith Developer

Actually, while Gninja is correct that they were in game since launch, what he didn't know was that there was a bug with the treasureclasses that made them incredibly unlikely to drop. That was corrected last hotfix.
    Gaealiege and Gninja like this.
  10. Kayas Member

(02:03) an Allu'thoa deino-tyrant: 751894 Kayas-Zealous Smite-505793
    Kayas | 555842
    Zelbi | 196052 <----- this is terrible, about half of what the 10 year vet SK merc does. ( that is DPS if you did not know)

(00:53) a deep-cave stalker: 959981 Lord Valkiss Ssi'sh-Harm Touch-1424540
    Kayas | 623723
    Lord | 336258<------ this is better. Could you please add a way to put him in reckless mode or add a 10 year vet DPS merc for the loyal tanks who have been playing since launch. Or tell me which merc is better then the vet sk.
  11. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Thing is, you can't even get to the areas to hire these mercs unless you are level 95 in either adventure or tradeskill level.
    So they would have to be VERY VERY good! I can hire the CoE mercs as low as level one. So I can have fun with a merc like Kilphin at lower levels, even if he is pathetic at higher levels. But these new mercs cannot be reached until one is at such a high level, that they are worthless if they are not at least as good as Mr. Born of Dragons.
  12. jessejames Active Member

You realize you are comparing a pally and sk? I would expect a sk to out damage a pally.
  13. Malachy Well-Known Member

I would love that question to be answered.
  14. Curmudgeon Active Member

The wiki merc page had a table that showed stats on the more unusual mercs, but it hasn't been updated since before they adjusted the scaling and doesn't include the 10 year mercs
  15. Kayas Member

It has been a long time since I used the Born of Dragons Monk Merc, I think he used to parse on par with what the pygmy paladin did, so I think they may be on par with the monk. If you are curious reply to this I have notification on and I will parse him and the pygmy again to confirm, but I am pretty sure the monk could not touch the ten year merc.
  16. jessejames Active Member

I'm not sure how many people are really concerned about the dps of the fighter mercs. There's a brig merc that would be nice to see what he parses compared to the Coe brig and the tov monk merc.

I'd like to know how the pygmy compares to the 10 year vet pally and the inn merc in qeynos. Mostly the following categories. Survivability, HPs, and ago.
  17. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

It's good to do compares with the 10 year mercs. But many of us are a few years away from them.
    We are a bit over 6 years, vet wise. (And plan to stay with EQ2 for a long time more BTW :))

A compare between the monk and the pygmy paladin would be great. Another really good compare would be the luijen pally and the new pally. :) Also Lorr'kejut and Stamper.

My mercs of choice, depending on the class I am playing are:
    Raghnagt or Daeron - dps and tank for my squishies
    Stamper or Dok-Tok - Cures and heals

Some of my characters that are lower level use ones like Bloodstain, Yadeht, the Gigglegibber thief, even Noftu when I got the loot card. These are often for the roleplay aspect of things. I have a lot of fun having a paladin using the goblin illusion from that Facebook thing a couple years back with the matching looking gigglegibber thief merc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, with so many mercs of so many types and levels of "quality", it really is about time for some clarification on what SoE expects these mercs to be.

I feel that any merc should have enough health and power to at least survive in any solo or two-man instances or areas. It should be the amount of damage/heals and such that they do that should vary.

I remember trying that Qho merc against one of the golem sentinals on that main island in ToV. Grown up twerp died REAL fast, so I sent him back home to mom. With the amount of work it takes to get to that craft level, the Quo merc should be as good as Daeron at least in survivability.
  18. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

I think the Qho merc was intended to be weak, so that you could send him to his death over, and over, and over... AHEM, you get the point.
    Loredena likes this.
  19. Tabri Well-Known Member

Some observations through the years with mercenaries that I have tried.

Perrin
    Will dps and back when he was put in game did a lot of dps, now its outdated compared to other newer mercenaries.
    Will heal you.
    Will not cure enough or heal my conjurer pet.

Kenny
    Low dps even back when introduced
    Cannot hold aggro
    Will heal you
    Wont cure, or heal my conjurer pet

All city mercenaries good for lower levels but useless at high levels.

Qho
    Low dps
    Cannot hold aggro
    Dies easily

Skyshrine(Inquisitor)
    Best healer that I have seen so far that I have tested
    Will heal my conjurer pet and heal constantly
    Cures pretty fast and constant

New CE mercenary
    Very high dps love it
    Wards like crazy
    Will not heal at all
    Will cure but erratic

Matri
    Low dps even when introduced to the game
    Useless mercenary

All COE mercenaries except the healer version, I didnt test that one
    Died easily, low dps, cant hold aggro the list goes on horrible mercenaries even when they were introduced

Daeren Ashenwing
    Great dps about equal to the new CE mercenary
    Cant hold aggro off my conjurer but can my warden
    Doesnt die that easily and will pop his heal on you

10 yr Pally mercenary
    I only played it for a bit he died pretty easily so didnt test anymore with it nor the 10 yr SK I use Daeron instead.

My warden uses the new CE merc for dps
    My conjurer uses the Skyshrine inquisitor for heals and to heal the pet(only one I have seen to do this).

Other ones I dont know havent tested.
  20. jessejames Active Member

correct. comparing Dolsie with Zun Tek the Akhevan Troub

HPs, same 395K
    stats dolsie 4Kish | Zun 6Kish
    resist dolsie 33K | Zun 133K
    CC 310% | 710%
    CB 263% | 563%
    Pot 250% | 350%
    dps 900 | 1,400
    MA 227 | 439 (who cares)
    AE Auto 0% <~both none? really?
    Flurry 10% | 21.2%

The Spell/CAs are just the same with different names. Slightly more damage but buffs are the same.
    Real-world dps? Ok this isn't extensive i mainly just sent the mercs in on aom overland mobs with ACT running. Dolsie about 295K dps. Zun can pull about 300-400K sometimes a little more but not close to 500K.

Overall? Kinda useless. At lower levels tanks or healers are most useful and this troub is outdated. First of all doesn't have the good spell/CAs of a troub. Buffs like UT make the troub class at the end level. No blue AEs. AA abilities define the class. Stuff like UT, bagpipes, and decent dps would make this work merc worth using but as is, isn't useful in this expansion because you are better off taking something with you have can heal/cure if its not going to increase your dps or bring any of its own.

but you are right. Its better than coe mercs which were useless in current content anyway.