New look on armor

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-LordDragone, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Cica Guest

LOL im female too IG and RL but that still doesnt have to do anything with the fact that those sleeves look funny to me on male chars !

And i dont think guys are interested as much in the in game clothing issues as girls that they would bother to make posts about sleeves and vests and such, but thats just my opinion hehe .

I love your new sig btw Sapphirius
  2. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Thanks, hun. ^_^ She looks like flower, stings like a bee, and is a complete and total hoot to roleplay.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Yeah, I hate how hard it is to find good looking equipment in this game. As it is I can't even find enough good looking equipment to have each of my characters look different... some of them I end up giveing similar clothes because barely anything looks good.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lady Uaelrea Guest

The cloth wearing folk are by far the worst off.
    Cloth appearance is so freaking ugly.
    I honestly gave up.
    There is no point in trying to make your character look cool except for an illusion and that is why people use the illusions.
    To be unique.
    I am not sure SOE will ever get this- so my suggestion to all players accept the fact that your character will look like crap or look like everyone else.
    The only good thing was that they did provide the appearance slot so you don't look like a clown.
    I left for a while until they rolled that out, I got so cisk of seeing my character look like a box of crayolas exploded.
    Maybe one of these days theu will realize how vital an avatars appearance is to gameplay.
    I only login for raids now I got sick of looking at my toon, I tried to change up the look but everything is bleh and pretty much looks like crap for mages.
    Oh well.
  5. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

Sapphirius wrote:
    Even using existing models they could give a couple new looks. It is silly we don't have a cloth version of the Reet Warriors shoulders, that set has "magical finger wiggler" written all over it, but it is leather.

Same with the Manacles of Dark Sky, they are modeled to look like a woven sleeve.. again silly there aren't more cloth versions of these.

I've also not understood them not using the graphics from the Tunarian Cloth set.. it is far from a robe, and even has cloth textures modeled onto it. Granted, the set is basically a rework of a leather set but at least it LOOKs cloth

Also I think the Gi wearers would have been happier if they had just introduced a blouse "somewhat" in the Gi style, and left the all-in-one to the monks/bruisers.
  6. ARCHIVED-Solarax Guest

just thought i would mention something.
    we are in beta for the next expansion and that neds work. fighter rebalancing isnt easy and such

so it takes human resources.

so to be fair....

i dont think many of oyu have any real idea of how much work is involved in making actual armor appearances. changing colors is literally 1000 times easyer than making new models .

so with a new expansion coming up i dont think new models will be a priority

now that being said.

maybe after a few bug fixes down the road after release of TSO then it would be a good side project for a couple people.

especially for mages.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

Soulskar@Splitpaw wrote:
    Sorry, this has been an ongoing problem for several years. As far as art assets go, they have managed to come up with unique items for 4 freeking LoN expansions, this last one alone has 24 separate class hat versions along with the usual visual garbage.

Even without new art there are models in game wasted on obscure quests or limited by class, for example the Reet Warrior shoulders model. They can't even manage to make all City purchase armor cloth like faction armor is.

Without Domino recoloring and bringing in different (but existing) styles as Tradeskilled armor, we wouldn't have squat commonly available as Appearance SETS.

I'm a bit tired of being "Fair" when I see art assets and dev time squandered on what are essentially RMT items.
  8. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Not to defend LoN, cause I'm nto a big fan of it either (though I do spend money trying to get specific loot cards, usually cloaks for appearance) but from what I gathered, LoN and EQ2 art departments are not only seperate, but not even in the same building.

the way it sounded was that the only time LoN art talks to EQ2 art is to say 'we're taking this model and making it an illusion' or 'we made this model on our own, it's X loot card. set it up in your game'

Now I happen to like the present robes for my casters. my warlock wear a black robe that has a nice subtle velvet texture to it. and I found matching gloves and boots.

but we certainly need more variety in all the armors. and whomever made the paladin KoS class armor and designed that hideous hat needs a beating. the best armor I have been able to get as a set was the darkmetal armor from mistmoore, and a raid boss dropped BP for my plate wearer.

I would love to see a plate look that had the overlaying talbard getup. I wouldn't mind seeing appearance slot half plate or 'gladatorial' looking armor.

and a GD pally class hat that doesn't look like someone glued a pair of albatross wings to an overturned KFC bucket. (yes I'm a bit bitter about this)

and I'll happily agree that we need more sexy looks. mroe skin. lots more. for both male and female. if Antonia Bayle can were that skimpy outfit she does and not cause a public outcry, then so should any other female toon. and any male toon should be able to dress like Conan if he feels like it. and various degrees inbetween.

oh, and while we're at it. why don't you take some of those textures from the expansions and make 'gi' type appearance armor? the equip the BP and it gives you the whole outfit. there are people I'm sure that would love the gypsy outfit from DoF (also worn by the fortune teller in Somborn). I wouldn't mind some of the Renda'dal outfits from New Tunaria.

Or what about the outfits on the Bloodline chronicle female vamps? things like that could go a long way.
  9. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Lasai wrote:
    Your posting in a thread complaining about the Devs just 'Recoloring' exsisting models then say, come on the devs 'recolored' 24 hats that proves they have time to create new models. New models take time... thats part of the reason it took amost, if not a full year to get all 24 class hats finnished in the first place, and the LoN class hats are just recolors, there is nothing differant about them either... or any of the LoN "armor" stuff(other then the half shoulder piece...wich I hear is comming for the expainsion anyway)
  10. ARCHIVED-Gilthenin Guest

Being a caster, and therefore a cloth wearer, I'd be overjoyed if they just added some types of leather, chain and plate to the table.

Appearance mind you.

That would open up so many options I don't think I'd notice the lack of new armour.
  11. ARCHIVED-Vanderlay Guest

The best helm in the game appearance wise has to be the zerker hoo'loh hat
    Zerker hat FTW!
  12. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Gilthenin wrote:
    I personally never understood why they just didn't open up all armor appeances to everyone, for the appearance slot, if you have enough money you could get someone to lower the weight of a piece of Plate(by removing all protection it provides) if you really wanted to.
  13. ARCHIVED-Vanderlay Guest

I could see if this were a true roleplaying game in which a character needed to hide the fact that he were a spellcaster. Years ago I ran a campaign in D&D where the main NPC that the player characters were working for despised magic users. This made it a challenge for the wizard and necromancer in the group. They actually had to put on chainmail (with some help from the 2 fighters in the group) just so they could stay employed by the local Lord.
    In EQ2 there is none of that type of interaction going on anywhere (sadly). So for SOE to allow appearance slots of magic users to be filled with whatever gear they would like wouldn't be hard to do, and quite frankly surprised they haven't allowed that option yet.
    I would love to see my warlock in a full set of ebon armor or blackened iron. C'mon SOE let us put anything we want into the appearance slots!
  14. ARCHIVED-Gilthenin Guest

Not to mention that there were a few sets of leather, chain and plate looking armour for casters in EQ1.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

Vanderlay wrote:
    Blackened Iron Vanguard you CAN do.. Freeport Militia Officers Ceremonial is the same pattern as the Blackened Iron.. and cloth. Just takes Freeport faction and um.. 30k with militia..
  16. ARCHIVED-valkry Guest

Sapphirius wrote:
    As the proud mentor to a Sunday school attending, conj-playing 6-year old girl... I can state even she is dismayed at the state of cloth armour. Now granted she does have the unique fashion sense of the 'princess-set' (ie as much pink and purple as you can fit into one outfit), but appearance is a MAJOR part of her game enjoyment. (Went full-on Diva hissy-fit when I upgraded her recruit from the green bug graphic to the black bug. It took a lot of explaining that the black bug was a better 'body-guard' for her, and a trip to a support site to show her pics of all the pets she would get in the future before she forgave me.)
    We spent the good part of a half an hour, going through the dressingroom shots of different teir 1 armour, just so she could find an outfit she liked and felt proud walking around in. There is a certain wisdom that children have, and if even a kindergardener understands her appearance is a reflection of who she is, you would think that SoE could get the clue that they need to fix that one awful robe-style we have been forced into for 4 yrs. Even a small child understands that is a horrible look & ditched the robe as soon as she could. (She does look quite nice in the matching teir 1 white MC gear).
    PS I will say that the purple recolored leather also impressed her. It's not for everyone, but it made her day.
  17. ARCHIVED-Birna Guest

Gilthenin wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't mind having something like this for my necromancer : (with a little less spiky things on though, -but you get the idea)
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war...ves/Dspl_06.jpg

Cool robe for mages:
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war...lves/Amg_05.jpg

I agree with valkry; - Appearance IS a major part of game enjoyment, we all like to take pride in our characters, and we also like the outfits to reflect the class/personality of the characters we play. My necro does SO not want to run around in a hot pink jumpsuit! His pet would laugh himself to death and loose all respect of him :(
    And also: we don't want to look like everybody else, we want diversity!
  18. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Gilthenin wrote:
    Um, there is atleast one in EQ2... specifically the De'morte set.
  19. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Birna wrote:
    How about this for an outfit... or something similar atleast.
    [IMG]
  20. ARCHIVED-Lady Uaelrea Guest

Birna wrote:
    If they came out with amazing looking robes like that, the amount of subscribers would double or even triple.
    If they kept or tried to keep the robes they used to sell the game pre-release they would have the same amount of membership as WOW.
    SOE does not understand - that making amazing robes, armor, gear is as important as gameplay.
    How amazing would it be for the elite guilds to wear avatar gear that actually looks like something from the gods.
    I am not sure I understand why is it so difficult to modify a couple of robes to look like the ones in the links. Does not have to be thousands of armor pieces, just a couple or really great looking gear per month. That is doable even if they have to apply it to x number of classes, and for female and male models.
    It is soo depressing...this major complaint has been around since 2004. So, it's been 5 years and casters, for the most part, still look bleh.
    You can not tell the difference between a Robe of Dark Power vs Nurgan Foe Blaster Robe except for the color.
    Hell, hire me and I will work for free on a voluntary basis to design caster gear.