New look on armor

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-LordDragone, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-LordDragone Guest

I know soe said they gave crafted armor a new look but after seeing what they ACTUALLY did I had to laugh then cry.
    Come on SOE....do you really think we are that blind that you can play the old shell game and swap around looks from other armors and call them NEW?
    All you did was take existing armor skins and swap them around....AGAIN!
    Next time you tell us you've added new looks PLEASE have actually put in NEW looks.
  2. ARCHIVED-Pouts Guest

Seconded, I'm tired of simply recolored old armour models. When ever anyone complains about not enough armour variaty Sony just takes another model type and replaces the old.

It's especially horrid for casters. We have one robe model. One, that's it. One horribly animated robe model where my skirt tails go through my pants and my legs go through them when I run... oh yeah lets not forget my boots show through my pants half the time. Anything else cloth users get is... reused leather armour models. Thank's Sony.

Plate, leather, and chain get some unique models (though not that many really even they have to share some models), and cloth gets the left overs.

New armour models=Never going to happen.
  3. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

Dies@Butcherblock wrote:
    I am no fan of the changes at all but..This is incorrect, there is also an entirely unique set of cloth pants/chest/puffy shoulders etc that is cloth specific (I think added by DoF). Its mostly thought of as ugly and noone shows it (especially the shoulders and male version of the pants) but its used extensively. There is/was also a one piece short sleeved vest used at some tiers, but that may have been removed in the latest switcharound.
    There is also the full face mesh-visor cloth helm from DoF (now sadly borrowed for low levels and spraypainted hideous colours) which is cloth unique and may be the best helm in the game.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

LordDragone wrote:
    From the beginning it was stated as a "recolouring" of existing armor. It was never touted as completely new looks just more variety in the exisiting.
  5. ARCHIVED-FetishStar Guest

what kills me is this: way back four years ago I started a post asking for us to be able to re-cloulr our own armor in certen hues... people said that would neevr work because people would run around in hot pinks and yellows.....

i'm really glad THAT did not happen.........

That being said....:

fix the armor already, why should we have to wait untill lvl 70 to get anything good?
  6. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

LordDragone wrote:
    It is the annual armor reshuffle. They do that in lieu of actually making anything new. Remember, it is just TOO hard to make new armor designs, blah, blah. Hey it was a major expansion feature one time to actually make new hats. I think that wore them out. However, who knows, we may have an expansion some year where they feature new boots. Class boots should buy them another half decade or so. Saddest game ever for armor appearances.
  7. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Yep, some of the armor is just the same old looks in new colors, but in doing so, they also got rid of some of the old looks in old colors. I'm all for new colors, but don't get rid of the old ones, dang it! That ruined the fluff appearance on three of my characters. One has gotten his look back, but the other two? Their looks are irrecoverable. I've been trying on various different looks for them, and I've found them new ones that are livable, but I haven't found any looks for them that I actually like. It's gotten to the point where I won't even log those two characters in anymore because I don't want to look at them. Coincidentally, they're my two level 80s. Now, I log them on for raids and to group if someone needs them, but my alts have been getting a whole lot of loving as of late.
    As for the short-sleeved vest, that is the T6 common crafted cloth vest. My warlock wears this in her fluff appearance with red pants and bright blue boots. On male models, it's shortsleeved. On female models, it's the poufy-sleeved top to the tailored fluff dresses. The Qeynos-side Ironforge Exchange 40K faction dress used to be the same graphic, but that was changed to a brown and white top and a brown skirt that doesn't even remotely match. It would have been nice if they had used the same yellow & white dress that the Coalition of Tradeskfolke get in Freeport.
    Domino made a comment that she would be working on cloth vest appearances, which I take to mean we'll see more of those in crafting cloth armor, but if she changes the T6 cloth vest, I'll cry. That would be a 4th character's whose perfect fluff armor look would be ruined.
    As for new looks, ya know... I would love new armor molds. I'd like something different from the same 5 armor molds used over and over and over and over and over again. The highly touted skeletal revamp was supposed to give that to us, but we see where that went. I don't think it would terribly hurt the game if the developers made a few extra armor molds for us to wear. Yeah, it would take some time to design them for each and every race, but, man, appearance is a HUGE factor for many players. Give us a little choice besides color and texture? Please?
  8. ARCHIVED-Cica Guest

Yeah, honestly i thought they going to make a vest for every tier, AND a robe, to chose from, but i looked and i think i only saw 2 new "real" vests from T1-T7 altoguh alot of them called vests but they are actually robes .... they should have at least named them correctly, if its called a vest it should look like a vest not a robe (yeah i know they were named vest before but still)
    LOL anyways there is actually a pair of pink pants low tier, which i like, but no nice top to go with it
    Would be really cool if they could add real vests for every tier !
    Would that be possible pls ??
    (oh yes im talking about cloth crafted)
  9. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Cica wrote:
    At one time, long before LU#24, there used to be robes and vest each tier, not that they looked different level to level, but the things names vests really were. And then... it went to all robes looking identical for each teir with some variations in T6 and T7. Domino added in the T8... And then we got th cloth/leather change which removed nearly all of the crafted cloth vests (vest/tunic in appearance, nothing to do with name) below T7, added 2 new ones in which are identical to each other with a minor trim change and both black. There is the "promise" of 4 more low level vest being added soon for appearance (weee.. they'll be artisan craftable.. thrills joy, so nice to be a tailor *rolls her eyes*) but probably at least one is the blue metalicish odditity that doesn't look even a shred of appealing.

The reason Beghn, with LU#24, didn't bother with appearance on a lot of the crafted cloth sleeves and made all the pants the exact same white baloon pantaloon was that he changed nearly all the crafted to robes and robes cover all. While Domino -did- add in appearances for most sleeves (keeping the no appearance ones for artisan, with which I agree) and has different colours and looks for pants, do they really matter at all unless there is something, for cloth restricted characters, to wear other than robes?

I will be honest and say I have zero hope for the "snap on" system for armor looks because it will use the existing armor models and "snap on" extra appearances. That means mages will still have the robe (the SAME robe base for 4 years) with.. oooo spikey shoulders.. and the same lack of any chest armor that's not a stinking frellin' pathetic robe.
  10. ARCHIVED-Cinnimon Guest

With all the colors people wanted what was wrong giving the option to dye our armor anyways? I know that is dead end subject but color and different appearances for armor is something we have wanted for years. I do really feel that a dev who does armorer appaerances should maybe take a few appearances.....
    For "robes" appearances they could change some of them to be not so prudish looking and show a little more. I am not asking for alot of skin but around the neck line to upper chest for females, maybe a little cleavage too. They could even leave off the bottom part of the robe so we can just have the tops as appearances.
    For "shoulders" appearances they could make more stlyes similars to Bruiser/Monk styled ones with what looks to be bracers around the upper arms for cloth wearers mostly but can be used for other type of armor too if done right.
    For "bracer" appearances can be re done with what looks more like bracelets to a double look bracer that look like they have now that have cuff look but add another to it.
    For "gloves" appearances they can be used to give appearances of rings on your hands too?
    These are just few ideas to ask the devs to do to some of the exsisting armor appearances so that we can more options and these click ons......... when and what are these going to be?
  11. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Yes! Sleeves designed similar to monk shoulder armor would have been awesome! They could have even textured and cut them differently for a tad bit more variety, and for bracers, I love the vanguard plate braces. They aren't a flimsy strip of leather with two bands at the top and bottom. They are solid all the way around like a cylinder. Put that in cloth and leather in a few different colors and textures and without the specular lighting.
    If you're going to make us work with the 5 molds already existing, then give us more variety and more options... especially cloth users!
    EDIT: Oh, and what's with the poufy fru-fru cloth sleeves?! You think casters actually like wearing shoulders that make them look like a 6-year old girl on her way to Sunday school?
  12. ARCHIVED-Cica Guest

LOL i dont mind wearing poufy sleeves sometimes (i rather go sleevless and just wear gloves, or bracers) but i think those sleeves just looks laughable on male chars ....
  13. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Ugh! I hate them, and every single crafted cloth sleeve is either invisible or poufy fru-fru. There isn't a single option for craftable cloth sleeves that doesn't have those awful shoulders unless you want to go for the sleeveless look.
  14. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

I actually like the current crafted cloth sleeves, they look good with the cloth-like vest with a brocade-like pattern. But, without any vests to match their colours or even much variety in vests to co-ordinate with them, it seems a bit pointless to have them.
  15. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

A little bit more variety on the cloth sleeves would still be more welcome. :p I don't like them at all, so my cloth wearers are going around sleeveless.
  16. ARCHIVED-tikasa Guest

The sad part is all of the people who protest the flambouant stuff like WoW yet I just ran through Willow Wood and there was not a single person there that was not in some funky LON illusion. Realism went out the window with those loot cards.... I just want some clothes that look really nice maybe sexy one day ... maybe prudish if that is how I am feeling ...
    If SoE is all about the money like LoN Just let me buy the dresses and you will find a bigger market then the LoN stuff you are peddling now
  17. ARCHIVED-Cica Guest

woot i just read this in test update notes :
    Tailoring
    • Artisans have designed some new recipes for threadbare and sackcloth vests, and will continue to work on more vest-type cloth armor appearances for the future.

YAY !
  18. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

19. ARCHIVED-Syntax_Error Guest

being female i like the fru fru shoulders. problem is i DONT like vests. i prefer robes. problem with that is that every stinking robe in the game looks like **** basically. same rehashed model and hard to find good colors.

my dark elf have problems with most girly colors, the pink stuff they added looks like junk, its too bright.

now caliginous folds robe pink is fine.

there doesnt happen to be a red set does there? vest/legs/boots etc... i cant find a red robe i like.. the pants graphic under the existing ones looks like junk as well.

oye.
  20. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

What does being female have to do with anything? I'm female too, both in and out of game. I still hate the poufy fru-fru sleeves and wish they'd have more sleeving options for cloth-wearers. :p
    I do agree about the vests and robes though. /shudder.