New Focus effects or Epic Spell Buffs from PoW Cloak Effects

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by LogosZanta, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

It also leads to encounter design being forced around those items. Imagine every encounter having a group-death effect to force the Dirge Myth to be used. What if Chel'drak's Tooth could be made a character ability? Yeah... I agree here with slip, as nice as these are we can't make all these things permanent buffs.

Epic Repercussions was part of the story of SF, so it made sense for that.
  2. LogosZanta Member

Thanks for your input!

From what I understand (and please correct me if I am misinterpreting) your objection is that there will be encounter modifications around assuming that the group has these spells or abilities?

This is seen as bad somehow? Right now there are tons of abilities and spells in the game that fights are based around, and players still manage to get through them?
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has occurred. Encounters do get designed around what players are capable of doing. Mythical's are so class defining that really extreme things would have to be done to make full use of them. I am of course exaggerating slightly about the idea of a group-deatshot just to use the Dirge Myth. Sometimes, nice things can't be permanent is what I am trying to say :)
  4. Hammdaddy Active Member

Yo suneta why do you have like all greaters even on your hydra hat
  5. LogosZanta Member

Cause I am lazy. Sad, eh?

Good point actually... gonna have to fix that lol
  6. LogosZanta Member

Thanks for your input!

I totally agree that nice things can't be permanent. I guess the main thrust of what I am looking at is when I look at a number of classes, it appears that the cloak effect is really awesome for those classes, as they are past AS Cloak mob, yet still wearing the PoW cloaks.

Perhaps the real issue is a lack of cool items on these particular slots? I would agree to that, but even with a killer awesome item for those slots I would probably still have a tough time convincing some folks to not wear these PoW cloaks.

I thought that the best way to get this to attention would be to say that everyone should get an advantage off these cloaks, but perhaps I should be complaining about the ones that are key? Problem being with that is that most times class specific needs tend to be relegated to the dust bin of the class forums.

I appreciate all the input here folks, and would enjoy some knowledge or feedback around raising these particular issues up in the attention levels of players and Sony. Thoughts?
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Myth Cloaks are fine as they are. They have reduced Stats and they do not possess a Purple Slot. Thus to use one continually the player is consciously giving up the benefits of a ToV-Cloak, because to them they perceive the Mythical Effect being better. This is something we need more of in Itemization between Heroic and Raid Content as much as Current Raid versus Previous Expansion Raid.

PoW-Cloaks were a BiS during CoE and and such BiS's usually take longer to replace due to their power. Players will choose to replace some and hold on to others, many used the Trakanon Sheild well into TSO due to it's effect. They sacrificed stats for an effect. This continued in Sentinels Fate where some Heroic Items had very desirable effects and some even desirable stats, but they were really rare (1-3% Drop Rate). A Tank could run Research Halls every day for a week since it had a 12 Hour Lockout and still not have a really good chance at getting the Bangle of Death (Wrist with Stonewill III Effect).

Trade-offs are a good thing. Players can maximize for their class or for their playstyle. It adds customization and more of it broadens the Loot Tables which is good, up to a point. Too many items and rarity becomes a real issue.
  8. LogosZanta Member

Fixed it just for you Hamm, thanks for pointing it out!
  9. LogosZanta Member

Thanks for your input!

I do believe that trade offs are a good thing. I also believe that any good raid is built around the sum of its parts. I would put forth that a raid leader that does not want instant rez on bards and group stoneskin on templars may be overlooking obvious advantages.

The items discussed as being rare are great examples of working itemization. Perhaps we are not far enough into the expansion pack to see replacement cloaks that have similar values?

I appreciate any and all feedback on this thread, as I feel that we all have the same goal, i.e. the continued success of EverQuest II and the dropping of useful items. Especially giving players tools to work into their repertoire for triumphing over content.
  10. Hammdaddy Active Member

Yw.
  11. Ucala Well-Known Member

you are comparing two things that shouldn't be compared tbh.
    Chel'drak's tooth was a item that only 1 person, per server. could ever get. myth cloaks fall in the same space as myth weapons tbh
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

It was a hyperbole.

What I mean in accurate terms is some effects are not meant to be "permanent" I sometimes wonder how much of Epic Repercussions was developer idea versus community pressure.
  13. Ucala Well-Known Member

it was a bad hyperbole :p just as the other ones as "rare" items in group zones like the stone thing xD that you can now just go buy for 220 marks or something.
    and tbh I don't even know why they introduced class specific cloaks without intentions on letting us keep the buffs. class specific is the key term here.
    it's just like those class specific adorns that we had in SF days that you got to pick and choose what you wanted on your raid gear. which ended up turning into the class focuses :p everything in this game that was class specific and included all classes was kept to our classes as buffs later on. unless someone can name something that wasn't
    but with that being said, I think it's pretty clear that they have no intentions of doing it and never will, seeing as they already said that channelers don't have a cloak and won't ever get a cloak. the amount of rage that would happen if they decided to do a quest to get the buff would be unreal.
  14. LogosZanta Member

Thanks for your input!

The class specific part is what throws me for a loop as well.

It definitely is disappointing to think that effects that seem to be built like focus or aa effects will be ignored or discarded.

It makes me sad to think that channels don't get a cloak too as that exclusion does make me tend to think this line of development was discarded.
  15. Estred Well-Known Member

Well, ya got a good point there :p
  16. LogosZanta Member

Thanks for your input!

What about adding these effects to the epic spells? I see a few posts by you estred where you are discussing epic 2.0
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

Eh, that's more my personally hoping for new content as I felt ever since they changed quest styles that while the current quests are rewarding and interesting, there is a lack of content to "keep me busy" when I just want to run around with some rewards and minimal story, I liked the mini-quest chains that did nothing but tell you about an NPC's life/involvement in local affairs.
  18. Ucala Well-Known Member

we clearly have to wait for Fabled RoK for epic 2.0s.
    we are getting Fabled KoS pretty soon, so RoK shouldn't be that far behind
  19. Kalika Well-Known Member

No why would you make old content affect current content ?

Just because you did it ?

No.

I'm all for a new epic, but with current content, not old raids that we designed for toons with 100K hit points
    and with healer at 100 k hps (in raid).
  20. Ucala Well-Known Member

you clearly can't read.
    Fabled RoK would be current content.
    and it's just the way SoE is going these days. first Fabled DoF, soon (like next month) Fabled KoS. I would say easily end of summer Fabled EoF and not long after that Fabled RoK! epic 2.0s in there