New expansion EverQuest II: Chaos Descending ETA: November!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Siren, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earar Well-Known Member

when did he confirm that ? could u link his words please ?
  2. wazul Active Member

I was a great sponsor . because like many T1, often i spend, first or follow another T1.

And it's enought.

The game is a varnish that hides the reality, namely a broker and a market place.
    I bet that next year they will pass the familiars at lvl 15. 5 minutes of work for 50000 dollars.

It's more profitable than work in the core game.

without me, i was a raider, and raid offer very poor reward. i have no time to spend k-dollars or run 4042352494330 the same no brain heroic zone for loot better.everquest lost his soul in the money. EQ and EQ2 was great game, in the past.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Replying only to your raid gear paragraph. I agree, your raid gear should be best in slot when it is being used in a raid zone. If you are not in a raid zone, your raid gear should be no better than the BiS that can be obtained outside of a raid zone.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I take it that a PvP server coming was mentioned in Discord? This is a horse that has been beaten to death, then beaten some more, flayed, filleted, and fed to the gnolls. PvP does not last long in this game. This game was not designed for PvP. True PvP is not gank squads of 10 or more hunting down 1 person, nor is it being level 100 and lying in wait for newbies to leave sanctuary to try and gain skill. Until these things are understood and the PvP community does something to assist the new players so that they can level up and get to a level where they would be an asset to the community PvP is doomed and a waste of precious DBG resources.

I have played games where PvP servers were the only servers for many years. For about the first 6 years of the main game I played, there was an honor among the PvP players, they did not lie in wait for players more than 10 levels before them. Additionally, they maintained a target equality, meaning if there was 1 target, only one PK'r would attack, so it was 1v1, 2v2, etc.

The people that did not really care for PvP respected the players that did because of this "honor amongst Pkr's system" that they held. When the gank squads started appearing, the honor system amongst the PK community disappeared and the rift between the PvP players and the PVE players opened and began to get wider and wider very quickly until they refused to play together.
    Rosyposy and Cheallaigh like this.
  5. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

PvP did last a long time in this game though, even if it wasn't originally implemented. Eq2 had one of the best pvp systems any MMO had to offer for atleast 5 or 6 years. Multiple PvP server's were at full capacity for a long while too.

You're just nitpicking at issues and giving a very biased opinion of Eq2 pvp. Either you missed the better days of Eq2 pvp where there we plenty of "honorable" fights. 1v1's to 6v6's to 24v24's were happening all the time. People use to stand by and watch fights go down all the time. You also had true open world pvp where you can run into someone or multiple people and have a good fight at any time anywhere. Nagafen even had raid guilds at the top of the PvE leader boards for a long stretch.

I see too many people who didn't truly experience pvp in this game. They lie or are misinformed and try and push this narrative that Eq2 pvp was this wild slaughterhouse of gankfests where no one could go out to open world and quest, harvest or experience the game. WRONG!

PvP wouldn't have thrived and survived for years if it was the mess that people try and claim it to be. While getting ganked did happen, its not all that happened, not even close. This game had the most enjoyable, fast paced, adrenaline rushing pvp.
  6. Earar Well-Known Member

then why did pvp stop ?
    Rhodris likes this.
  7. Roxxlyy Community Relations

To clear up misinformation - there are no plans to break classes into being "OP" with this expansion, and we have no plans to launch a new PvP server.
    Rosyposy and Dude like this.
  8. Siren Well-Known Member

PVP server?! Link please or it didn't happen!

Edit: Okay, thanks Roxxlyy, I didn't see your post until after I posted. Yeah, I didn't think so.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  9. Ashandra Well-Known Member

Since you are in the know about things will there be changes to class balancing then with the new expac?
  10. Earar Well-Known Member

I guess we'll know when it's time ...
  11. Revel Well-Known Member

No MMO has worked like this ever, and never will.
  12. Earar Well-Known Member

we'll see for that .. I guess a lot of players are waiting the team on that :)
  13. Tekka Well-Known Member

Roxxlyy is part of the team. So if she says a random poster on the forums claiming there will be another (fail) attempt at a PvP server is misinformation, I'd take what she says over the random poster.

'Plans' are, of course, subject to change, but if PvP is a consideration for expansion purchase, I'd wait for a definitive announcement from The Team (including Roxxlyy) not 'this one guy posted that he heard one time at this one place that there would be yet another attempt at PvP'.

Rumors like this are part of what leads to disappointment. Just Sayin'.

A side note about the 'OP class' part: I highly doubt that any dev team would intentionally 'break' a class in such a way as to make it over-powered in relation to the content or other classes. When that happens, it's generally the unintended side effect of a game mechanic change or addition, with a fix that may, or may not, be straightforward.
    Siren, Rhodris, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have been around since day 1, so I was indeed around for the PvP launch. My information is based upon personal experience and from the myriad of posts I have seen on these forums stating that the player tried to play on a PvP server and kept getting ganked when they left the Island. Search for yourself and don't forget to search the archives. I will not argue numbers with you, nobody knows the actual numbers except DBG and they are not going to tell. But considering PvP died a slow painful death not once but twice, I think that speaks for itself.
    Siren, Rhodris and Rosyposy like this.
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I never said any MMO worked like this. But it should, if it is raid armor, it should only have those stats when used in a raid zone. This is my opinion, it will not change. You are entitled to your opinion, I respect that.
  16. Earar Well-Known Member

i don't mean PVP .. I mean OP class

some classes can be OP for a while ... but allowing some classes to be OP .. for a whole xpac ... with no real changes to stop that .... seem to be something intended.
  17. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I played on Vox (pvp) for years. You are both right and wrong.

Yes there were gank squads, and no, it wasn't anywhere close to being as bad/problematic as you asserted it was.

The issues (as I remember them):

1. No way to turn pvp off. If you logged in, you were a target, whether you wanted to pvp or not.

2. Various classes were at a significant disadvantage, others were op simply because of class design.

3. Raid geared toons were op.

All that said, the system was workable and a lot of fun. The pvp added that extra element of danger the pve game doesn't have.

I believe the servers died because (1) the ffa environment can burn people out, and (2) balancing mechanics were never given any substantive attention.
  18. Tekka Well-Known Member

Addressed that in my post, will repeat for emphasis: When a class is over-powered in relation to the current content or other classes, it is more likely to be an unintended side effect of a game mechanic change, or a game mechanic addition. The fix for it is probably more complex than 'change x to y'.

So unless the claimant can produce a verifiable quote from one of the devs that says they are intentionally breaking mechanics in such a way to make some classes over-powered and not others. Or that they're deliberately not fixing mechanics to allow broken over-powered classes to remain so, I'd be skeptical about jumping on the 'it seems so, because of mah feels' bandwagon.

(don't get me wrong. I strongly disagree with the 'hit it with a sledge hammer when a fly swatter would do' method of fixes that have been used since day 1 of original EQ, and all the years and titles in between. but this assertion being made is just unrealistic and unfair - without proof)
    Rhodris and Rosyposy like this.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm honestly curious how you think this will make the gaming experience better and what positive changes it will introduce for people with and without the gear.
  20. Earar Well-Known Member

I agree for the unintended part .... but what troubles me is that there have been no real means to change it.

in most mmos, or mobas .. when a class/character is OP .. it's nerfed quite fast. In EQ2, the OP class stays OP for a whole xpac .. and it bothers me .. there should be real class balance patches during the year to try to even things out

and I fear that will happen next xpac too.

Even if they state there is no mean to have alphas ... we see there are .. and will be .. again for a whole xpac coz no real changes are done during the said xpac.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.