Monk vs SK

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by select20, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Revanu Well-Known Member

Monks and zerker's are able to scale the best with difficult content due to their ability to maximize both dps and turtle tank mode simultaneously.

That being said, all tanks SHOULD be able to handle all content, but that also is dependent on person behind the screen and group set up.
  2. Earar Well-Known Member

yes I know my bruiser can handle content, but still ... if monk in the end has better offensive and defensive curves than my bruiser. What is left for me just being a sub par monk who just doesn't want to betray ?
    Well I can handle AoE agro better than a monk, at least I hope :)
  3. Revanu Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell you what is keeping you from betraying. I too was originally a bruiser and I loved it. But as the game changes so does your paradigm on how to succeed the most efficiently. Not to say bruisers are bad, but this would be the proverbial debate on effectiveness vs efficiency. And quite frankly Monk's are just the most formidable tank now, or 1 of the top 2.

There is just more at their disposal in regard to safeguarding other players via winds, intercept, etc. Bruisers also get the benefit of stone cold and various other stone skins, immunities. However, the intercept boost is a game changer. So its entirely up to you.

And as for aoe hate, monks are pretty beast now. Suffice to say aoe tanks will have an easier time with that, but its definitely not hard at all to generate and maintain constant aoe agro. Just my 2 cents. And ive 1 of every tank with exception to pally/guardian.
  4. Earar Well-Known Member

stone cold isn't that usefull anymore, hardly proc. mobs don't do enough magic damage. mostly crushing that hurts now. And I'm sure the monk ward is in the end better than a 3 proc magic stoneskin.

well to be honest I was hoping .. with supposed spell consolidation, to see bruiser at least get better ... but now .. no chances.
    I think I just want to stay bruiser coz I like being the step child, the challenger ^^.. I like give myself some handicap :p

because when you see that bruiser is the only class who hasn't discovered their ascended epic weapon, there's a hint that some issues exist. (but shouldn't expect DBG to do anything to resolve that)
  5. Revanu Well-Known Member

Stonecold has 1 use: bulwark. And in that regard it is great.

Bruisers just aren't good. They don't do enough to mandate a need. Very isolated tank class that benefits none opposed to pally/sk/zerk/monk who benefit all of group/raid.

That's why.
  6. Kielex Well-Known Member

It's funny because I've only been in 1 raid guild
    Ashandra and Snikkety like this.
  7. Kielex Well-Known Member

Didn't know my personal experience or me stating opinions could make somebody so hostile, You're crazy lol. I've been in 2 casual guilds in the past that had me and like 2 other people in it, and I've only raided in vVv. Don't know what I did to rustle your jimmies but I'm sorry LOL
    Ashandra and Snikkety like this.
  8. Steelviper Active Member

Not to take any sides here, but I used to be in a group with Kielex when I was quite less geared (though already with my epic 2.0 pet on Ancient and easily ripping aggro) and he had no trouble holding aggro, which for me does speak of an SK knowing his own class. Any other speculation I'll leave to the people who actually really know what they're talking about.
    Having that said, I used to group during Altar of Malice being current expac with a very talented Monk, who - provided some bare common sense before unleashing dps - could tank just as good as any plate tank. It is rather unfortunate that he decided to go other ways close to end of that expac, he's going to be sorely missed.

It does compare to a Necromancer in a way, though - so many people are playing one, but you'd rather rarely see one which is even aware that Transfer Life can heal the Necromancer himself (seen people been surprised when I told them they can heal themselves) or other group member, or one which ever bothers to use his (normally quick and short re-cast) Cure spell in favour of dps - easing the load off the group / raid healer.
    So for me the point is still valid, that a player which had the time to explore and get to know his favourite class, can play it better no matter what, than people who just make those classes for the current needs and don't much care about them.
    Kielex likes this.