Monk vs SK

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by select20, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Kielex Well-Known Member

I only know of 2 monk tanks IN SN And (What used to be) Revelations, Don't know any other guild that rocks a monk. but that can be said for any class, It's literally just a big cluster **** of whoever the guild recruits that they think are decent. And this expansion its exceptionally easy to be "good" on any class. Just buy grandmaster ascensions and cast during fervor proc, Wowz look at me im a gud player! i du damage tew1!11!.

And you're correct about the third wave of the summoned foes, I couldn't tank terris if my life depended on it, It hits ridiculously hard. Shadowknights survivability is / was built off of life taps.. But that doesn't mean much when almost every mob hits over your maximum health ( T4+ ) so although I agree somewhat where you're coming from I have tanked a lot and done a lot to let somebody tell me that shadow-knights are bad.. It's a pride thing, There is almost nothing in raid that I haven't accomplished and I sincerely don't want to be told or feel that I'm lesser then somebody else. Pair me up against any tank and I will be on par or far exceed them Dps-wise / tank-wise, And I could put money on it that there are other shadow-knights who feel and have done the same..
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  2. Kielex Well-Known Member

Basicly have tanked everything besides The summoned foes third wave terris
  3. Revanu Well-Known Member

third wave terris really isnt bad at all. Can easily mystic/fury it with communication. I'ts been done many a time. Just communication and a coordinated rotation.
  4. Earar Well-Known Member

well SKs are somewhat to tanks what wardens are to healers.

they are great if they have the stats and HP.

monks are really good tanks, and they are a bit less stat dependent as SK to do their job well, so for somebody who needs to catch up ... monks will reach a good state faster than SK. .. maybe things will change for next xpac ... but right now ... for somebody who starts and wants in some future ... monks are way safer pick than SK.

It's like asking for a healer who wants to raid ... u won't advise them to play warden ...
  5. Zezar New Member

All content can be tanked by all tank classes. And have to my knowledge been done.

With that said. Berserkers & Monks are to prefer on the hardest mobs.

I am a SK and have tanked all mobs this xpack and all other expansions I played included all Avatars iirc.

But with a weak raid its hard for all tanks but the ones mentioned, especially berserkers & monks.

**** have to be timed to the second.

/Zee
  6. Hirofortis Active Member

Sounds like you are saying Zerk or Monk are the best tanks right now, where do Guards fit in?
  7. Nero Active Member

Come on Kielex, you can be expecting a class to be topping parses, healing, and tanking some of the hardest hitting T4 mobs this xpac. Hell, you even bring more utility to a group than half of the actual utility classes out there (maybe slightly exaggerated but still). Something's gotta give.

It makes no sense to me why SKs in particular now resemble a DPS class more so then they do an actual tank, but it is what it is. Clearly you are paying the price (via mit and HP) to get to absurdly high Pot levels.

P.S. Im sure u know this, and im not trying to be an *****, but you are missing the 3rd purple for the HP (250k HP and +25% Max HP) probably wont make a diff on the summoned ones if youre getting trucked, but hey.... BTW, what is your healer set up? I'm only asking because she actually doesn't hit me that hard anymore at all, my guess is that's due to DRs that you will not be able to see in ACT.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  8. Zezar New Member

I do still think guards are awsome, but i feel that monks and berserkers are a better choice because of they are more versatile.
  9. Mandoblast Active Member

Our MT in a top 20 guild is an SK and tanks everything. My alt is an SK and I never lose agro in experts. SK is very good and very fun to play.
  10. Revanu Well-Known Member

Now when you say "Everything" what does that entail? Just curious. We recently took on a new SK and he's damn solid and quite impressive; he has shown he is capable of doing all content related with exception to 3rd wave terris, but I'm sure given time and familiarity that wouldn't be an issue whatsoever.
  11. Mandoblast Active Member

By everything I mean everything. Even 3rd wave Terris. I do believe that is the only fight he rolls with 3 healers though.
  12. Nero Active Member

I was literally about to say that at that point it probably has just as much to do with how good year healers are and how good the communication between the tank and healer is than anything else...

3.... wow.... that seems extreme but yeah do what you have to do to get through it i guess...

Don't tell anyone, but i may or may not have tested my healers last time we killed this. Got into the "3rd wave" of when Terris is the only one that's up, with a defiler and Templar in my group. Did not hit a single temp that entire time, outside of putting up my 3 death prevents, getting a reset and putting them up again, which allowed me to have a safety net. My point is, without any stoneskins, or temps that were cast by me, i did not have a single death save trigger, kinda telling me that its less about the tank and more about the healers.

Avg healers= tank has to actually be good and know what he/she is doing.
    Great healers + right set up= tank can literally just show up and things are gonna be OK.
  13. Revanu Well-Known Member

yea its more of a competence factor when going in with 2 healers. I know first few times we downed it back in day was myself on my mystic and a fury healing monk on terris. was boring as all hell. throw on old eth runes since its really not a dps burden fight, and eth stoneskin eats hemorrhage and obviously cheetah is win. but mystic/fury is just so strong on that for a regular tank setup for 3rd wave terries.
  14. Kabbe Member

Dammit, I can use Stone cold + Provoking stance + BT hover over BT triggers and I go from 3 to dead without seing 2 and 1 :(
  15. Mandoblast Active Member

2 of the 3 healers are defiler/templar that are husband and wife. Good MT healing combo. Threw a warden in there for extra temp help
  16. Revanu Well-Known Member

Yea outside of bulwark goodness, its basically just pop mitigation temps, cycle your DR's and try not to push the dps threshold
  17. Nero Active Member

That surprises me... what is your mit and HP pools? What healers you running with? If you look through the logs, you wont be able to see the affect of DRs (such as stone cold or provoking stance), but can you see how many layers of wards any given hit has to travel through before you get hit (you should be seeing 5+ wards consistently reducing the dmg on you before the final amount bleeds through to you).

I cant remember if the BT on this fight is 75 or 80%, (and it for some reason seems to vary by ward) but if your healer has 5+ wards stacked on you, you can see that only a fraction (32ish%) of the original damage will make it through(assuming the BT on all 5 wards is about 80%). This is not even including your DRs that are calculated prior to the dmg hitting the wards.

I was gonna post a table with my calcs, but trying to format anything is a nightmare...
  18. Kielex Well-Known Member

I've had 70mil HP Before w/ The HP Rune and uzulu stones on, 30k + mitigation and still got one shot, Seriously almost no difference between my pot gear and Mit / Hp Gear, But that was a while ago, I haven't tried it recently. Think I've also switched to a bit tankier spec too since then, I honestly cant remember.
  19. Konc3pt Active Member

Monks > for dps

Zerkers > for survivability
  20. Earar Well-Known Member

so a bit more general question.

so from my understanding u have now 3 "defensive" tanks (guard, monk and paladin) who gain HP in left spec prestige.
    and 3 "offensive" tanks (zerk, bruiser, SK) who get a better pot/CB conversion in left prestige.

and here I read monk for dps and zerker for survivability.

so am I just wrong in how I feel tanks were designed ?

because in the end, if tanks who get bonus HP also get better dps, then what if left for other tanks ? (mostly talking about monks there ^^)