Make every class neutral

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vendeyn, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Vendeyn Member

So, first, personally, my favorite class in EQ2 is a Shadowknight. I also really really really hate Freeport, evil quest lines, don't like any evil house and don't like any evil city. It also feels like "good" side has far more questing choices to do early on. If I didn't love SK so much, I'd kick him off my character list and never play one because I hate all the evil cities. Sorry to those who like it, but definitely not my thing :p

Next, why can't I be a part of Qeynos as a Shadowknight? I understood class alignment when I first played EQ2 many years ago. There were clearly evil classes, good classes.

But then Necromancers (and warlocks, anyone else?) turned neutral, and can be a part of Qeynos. To me, Necromancers are WAY more even than a Shadowknight. Heck, shadowknights don't even raise the dead to FORCE the dead to fight. Granted they used to, but not anymore. Which means Shadowknights decided that was too evil and wanted to change their ways

That there puts any argument of why Shadowknight shouldn't be neutral to rest. If Necromancers can be part of Qeynos, definitely no reason Shadowknight's can't

Of course there are Paladins that are the opposite of SK. And paladins are generally "good". But necromancers are generally "evil", so if in EQ2 Necromancers are neutral when usually seen as evil, no reason paladins like SKs can't be neutral as well.

Gameplay wise, this opens up every class to choose to be good/evil. The races would still be good/neutral/evil, but the classes themselves would be good. This means if someone wants to be an evil paladin, that is their choice. If someone wants to be a good Shadowknight, they can do that too.

I wasn't here when whoever it was made most classes neutral. But I don't see a reason to make every class neutral, opens up a lot of choices. They should take what they did all the way instead of halfway, and just make it all neutral except the races.

And personally, I'd betray evil and be good in a heart beat lol.

Luckily I can get an alt to buy "good" homes, and I can have an evil character be an alt and reside in the home through prestige portals and travel from home to home through portals :p But I'd much rather be part of Qeynos. And sadly, SK is my #1 favorite class, and sadly its the class that has to be evil :(

But personal opinion aside, they already made most evil/good classes neutral as it is. No reason to not go all the way. Besides shadowknights make way more sense to be neutral than necromancers lol.
    Xsara and Ruckus like this.
  2. Erevis Cale Member

Necromancers are still evil, just like conjys are still good. Warlocks have always been neutral.

The only classes locked to allignment still are crusaders, shaman, summoners, and rogues.

That being said, I do wish they'd make all the classes neutral, but I think this thread has popped up just about monthly for the past year or so and nothing has happened.
  3. Malachy Well-Known Member

Like the previous poster pointed out, it's only crusaders, shamans, summoners and rogues. At one point clerics and enchanters were included, but they made them neutral years ago.

That said, I agree with the OP and they actually did put in a fix on test pre-launch for Deathtoll that allowed an immediate change in city alignment regardless of class, but then reversed the change and made it to where you had to go through the betrayal questline to keep your class and change alignments -- any class/city combination works for Deathtoll. So, yeah, easily done. Why they won't do it is beyond me, the whole 'lore' and 'rp' of classes being tied to alignments died a very long time ago.

At the very least they should allow other servers to do the betrayal questline so we can be whatever combination we want. Updating the betrayal token would be nice as well.
  4. Satyr Well-Known Member

You can't betray on PVE!?!??

Ed: Oh I get it, nm.
  5. Adevil Well-Known Member

Heh. The ninja method of getting a SK aligned with Qeynos used to be transfer to Nagafen. Betray. Transfer back to PvE server.
  6. Eradani Well-Known Member

so you'd pay $60 or $70 to get a Q SK? wow
  7. Adevil Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, but the method has been mentioned on the forums before.
  8. Beee Well-Known Member

If a conjurer betrays, we get the question... "Would you like to be a conjurer of freeport?" and after YES the conjurer is converted into a necromancer...

I would like to be an evil or neutral conjurer !!
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Nope warlocks and coercer traditionally evil or at least use to be. On other hand I so much hate Quenos and feminism of rules so all my chars are FP born ;) thus I am all for ability to choose alignment freely
  10. Spindle Well-Known Member

All characters neutral? All cities would become neutral, all mobs would become neutral, no need for special armor as, essentially, all so-called combat would be neutral. Looks like an truly boring concept. However, I'm sure someone will get a Kickstarter going for 'Neutral, the latest Fantasy MMO where every player is the same and graphics are, well, neutral'
    Zookeeper likes this.
  11. Vendeyn Member

Thats weird. I had a necromancer betray to good, and I never had to become a Conjurer lol. I got to keep running around as a Necromancer while being friends with Qeynos. I tried it again and it didn't work. Wonder what I did lol.
  12. Vendeyn Member

I guess the topic has already come up at one point though

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-is-warlock-neutral-but-necro-is-evil.551090/

And I was right, there were a lot more evil/good classes but it was changed. Don't remember the classes though, some people say warlock was evil, but then others say that wasn't the case. And as for Spindle's comment. There'd still be good/evil/neutral races and good/evil/neutral cities. You just get to pick who you'd want to be.

But I did betray as a Necromancer just recently (about a couple weeks or so back) to Qeynos and I never had to become a Conjurer. Dunno how I did that, but I kinda remember disconnecting when I pressed the button. So maybe it glitched out or something else happened, but I got to be a Qeynos necromancer lol. I didn't like the class though so removed it to make room. I should have kept it if that wasn't meant to happen rofl
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Vendeyn Member

Can't I betray freeport, and just be an Exile? Then I'd truly be neutral, but not change to a Paladin. Would that be too limiting though?
  14. Adevil Well-Known Member

Were you on a PvP server at the time? That was allowed there, but has never been allowed on the PvE servers.
  15. Vendeyn Member

No, this was about two weeks ago when I joined back into EQ2. I thought it was a mechanic change, or I'd have kept the character lol. I betrayed neriak as a necro, and was still a necromancer when I joined qeynos. Really wish I kept the character now rofl.
  16. Kelvmor Active Member

No, no, and no.

Shadowknights still raise the dead. See the "Summon Sacrament" spell.

The "lore" and "RP" of it is still VERY MUCH ALIVE on Antonia Bayle server.

I understand why a class like CONJUROR should be neutral, or Rogues (Swash/Brig), but Necromancers and Shadowknights should be evil-only, period.

They still raise the dead, they siphon people's lifeforce (even that of their ALLIES (See: Bloodletter, Blood Siphon, Tap Veins, etc.) ), they worship evil gods (Innoruuk's Caress).

Shadowknights and Necromancers are evil. Period. Deal with it or play on Deathtoll server. I chose EverQuest over WoW or other games BECAUSE it still has a Good vs. Evil dynamic that's enforced through game rules.

Warlocks are the only vaguely "dark mage" type allowed in Qeynos, and they've been neutral since launch. And THEY don't RAISE THE DEAD. They just deal with Void magic and study demonology--which are very useful tools in destroying and dealing with Void beasts and demons.
  17. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Warlocks were evil ... and so were coercers and most logical god to worship for warlock is Betroxx. Warlock do not bend demons - we do not have any what so ever "void" magic - that's more coercer department (specially controlling demons) - we deal with poison, disease and decay and saying that this is "good" side of the force ... kxm strange
  18. Wurm Well-Known Member

No to good Shadowknights and evil Paladins
    Kuulei and Kander like this.
  19. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

fallen paladins .. why not? since inquisitors consider as a evil but technically speaking everything should in reverse - Templars should be evil and inq should be good (historically - Templars bring blood and death during crusade and inquisitors were fighting evils
  20. Wurm Well-Known Member

A fallen Paladin = Shadowknight. So they are already in game.