Lost locations

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Quinntus, Dec 6, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Hagran Guest

Ok here goes EG is the old entrance to Qeynos (North Qeynos) dont believe me go check it i checked it out with my maps of myrist book and the structure is exactly the same so now we just need to try and fix the bb thing hope this helps
  2. ARCHIVED-Thax Guest

The geography of Antonica bothers me a bit as well, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have any of you with EQ1 accounts checked out the new Lavastorm? Most of the locations aren't even in the same place. Najena is in the same place and I think the druid ring is. Solusek's Eye, Nagafen's Lair, and the Temple of Solusek Ro are in completely different places. Point being, don't go too much by the exact geography of the original game, it might change anyway.
  3. ARCHIVED-Ruil Guest

i have aread alot of loer on EQ2 and EQL so i know a ok amount about the lore. From what i would guess is the blackburrow gnolls moved out of the old bb for some reason and made a new bb where it is know being stupid gnolls they probly tried to dig to everfrost but failed.

Qeynos has probly moved in a direction from its orignal placement in EQL most likely not alot.

Now Stormhold is not Befallan the knight of thunder built the foretress to combat some evil, defeted it then a new evil arous and they fought that but while they were fighting the old evil came back and got them, i read this from doin a quest in Stormhold, i'm guessing it looks like befallen cause lord chessguard got the BBC from befallen and it influenced i wouldnt be surprised if the BBC thinks his new home is Befallen thats probly why it says that when you grab it.

About the wizard spires they probly built newer versions, i did however see some of those ogre monuments and what not that used to be in EQL around in Ferrott and in Thundering steppes.

thats really all i have to say and my thougths on this matter, that and i think my post count is 1 now.
  4. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

I realize this is the necro from hell, but just found something going back through the newb quests. For Vale of the Shattering, Rask Helstot lists Vale of the Shattering as being 200-300 (some unit) North of the "old blackburrow entrance." It even lists it in the quest descriptor. Which means that the old blackburrow entrance is somewhere along that eastern wall to the south of Vale of the Shattering. Now to find it... :p
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I do believe old blackburrow has been completely 100% destroyed, and [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]. you're right this is a necro from hell.
  6. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

Hehe, I remembered a post from not too long ago where people were still trying to orient Blackburrow and thought it was a copout or the devs hadn't really thought through the move and just slapped an explanation together, but I couldn't find it so I necroed this one up.

The fact that it's mentioned in this quest dialogue just sorta cemented it for me as a fully planned and implemented design decision. The location description almost makes me wonder if Stormhold was built over Old Blackburrow, but that's just weird idle speculation.
    Message Edited by SageGaspar on 05-01-2006 11:59 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-Wilde_Night Guest

Wow.. that was a long and interesting read.
    This actually came up about two nights ago in my guild ooc chat.. about Befallen vs Stormhold. If you recall Gynok in Befallen was cursed and attached to Befallen and could not leave. We theorize that it was the claymore he was bound to. Thus, when Chestguard stole the claymore from Befallen, Gynok went with it. This explains why, when you do the BBC Heritage, you have to kill Gynok to recieve the BBC intact.
    And I really do hope that one day they reopen Befallen in CL. There are plenty of places to put in in the mountains or.. heh.. even in the wasp mound, since that is just one big sand dune. And I know there is a Najena in Lavastorm, but the entrance is caved in.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Nope. Stormhold is Befallen. They had to give both Antonica and Commonlands an upper Teens Low 20's undead dungeon just like Fallen Gate, so they came up with Stormhold.
  9. ARCHIVED-Pahya Guest

Necro yes, but thank you! Very interesting read that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Makes we want to play EQ >.>
  10. ARCHIVED-DruVirus Guest

Alright, .. I've read way too many posts in way too many forums about all this.

Technically, by an out of character standpoint, Befallen was created, and later renamed Stormhold. I remember from back when EQII screenshots came out that they all said it was Befallen, .. but it looks exactly like Stormhold. They had to switch the dungeon over to Qeynos, just for the sake of dungeon crawl.

In game sense, the two are completely seperate places. I don't care what people are saying about "this one word in this quest says this". The fact is, is that it's already said that the BBC was taken from Befallen, still corrupt, and was brought to Stormhold where the sword corrupted the entire zone. Why does the quest for the BBC say that you removed it from Befallen? Could be two reasons. One, .. Sony messed up the text and never changed "Befallen" to "Stormhold". Two, .. the sword, being corrupt and possessed, believes it is still in its resting place of Befallen. Who knows?

BlackBurrow. It's been already said quite some time ago by the dev's that it indeed has collapsed. Originally, in EQ, they wanted to implement a zone between BlackBurrow and Everfrost, .. one that consisted of many tunnels and the like. According to the dev's, when BlackBurrow collapsed, it was rebuilt. It seems the Gnolls in EQ had more caverns excavated than is seen, .. and that these tunnels were rebuilt after the Shattering, uncovering one of the many, many entrances into Everfrost.

Lastly, the wizard spires. The wizard spires seen today have been reported not to be those of the Combine, but of the Quellithule. Between EQ and EQII, spire making became known, at least to a minor extent. More than likely they have no link to Luclin, or Kunark, and worked on their own wavelength. The Combine spires, though not able to be destroyed may have either been lost in the ground, water, or even altered by the Quellithule for their own purposes. But the fact is that most, if not all, the spires, are the ones created by this sect, and not the Combine. Probably to make up for the fact they couldn't zip around to each city via Knowledge books any longer. They were lazy so they just made them everywhere.
  11. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

Ya, people who say Stormhold Is Befallen are being inaccurate, since we're on a History and Lore forum. The entire place's history and lore, including the quests within, are based around the lore about the Knights of Thunder etc.

Blackburrow I just found interesting because a relatively obscure quest mentions the old entrance being some unit of distance directly south from the Vale of the Shattering. For people trying to orient Antonica correctly this should help some, and I'd also be interested if there's any visible rubble (it's an area I haven't spent a lot of time staring at the cliff face, hehe).
  12. ARCHIVED-Skratttt Guest

Yup What is Zek now used to be jagedpine forest.....if you dont beleive me do the hasten bootstrutters guide to Old Grove....Read the noticeable differences of pre orc near paradise lush conditions .........the orcs as you can see have chopped down the trees and are in direct conflict with the few remaining (oh suprise suprise) greenhoods, who are druids/rangers?

Whoever did that overlap is masterfull :)
  13. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

For the last time, Stormhold IS Befallen. because of zone imbalances it was put in Antonica and given lore so that it fits.
    Geographically, BB doesn't fit by compass direction. Then again Qeynos hills was north of Qeynos. In EQ2, it is west of Qeynos. Layoutwise, BB is correct. And locationally, i would be convinced by the Shattered Vale being old surefall. But compasswise, it doesnt fit. behind the shattered vale lay TS, not Surefall.
    Now it has been said that Zek is in fact a detached Surefall and Jaggedpine. Since Zek lies to the north, this is geographically accururate. which does indeed make me ponder the theory that SH is part of an old BB tunnel. It would make sense as the library entrance lies to the NE of Antonica, which if it was a BB tunnel, it could attach to the old BB location that would have led to Everfrost.
    Locationwise as well, the cabin on the way to BB is in a correct spot, but not compasswise to the EQ1 map.
    Also, the catacombs wer accessable by diving in the waters around Qeynos, here in EQ2, you cant zone in there from any body of water, only zone in man holes.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

It's also been stated both by developers and in-game sources that the original blackburrow was destroyed, and the Gnolls rebuilt in a new location, while maintaining their traditions and heritage by building it in the same manner as the old one was. Even going so far as to making a Collapsed Tunnel to Everfrost.
  15. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

What you've said implies that it is *not* Befallen. Yes, the zone was moved for OOC reasons to Antonica, but if we're talking lore, it's not really Befallen. Just like Blackburrow isn't really Blackburrow.

The zone layout is still wonky even with that, though. From game lore, Old Blackburrow Entrance is south of the Shattered Vale (which is what I was talking about before). If you look at Qeynos ( http://eq2.gamepressure.com/maps_qeynos_all.asp ) you can see the old entrance to NQ on the map, pointing northwest in Elddar Grove. I can't think of a pre-shattering orientation that would put the location south of Shattered Vale to the northeast with respect to that entrance unless the Qeynos island flipped completely around. Anyway, the fact that Qeynos was decimated and completely rebuilt explains the changes to the catacombs, though I would've much preferred them to remain intact.

Anyway, I accept that the maps aren't exact, they're just close enough.
  16. ARCHIVED-Tazyn Youngbeast Guest

read the OP, ive been wondering about where all the stuff has gone, i thought eq2 would be based upon players rediscovering the shattered lands, i thought that a player would discover faydark and be remembered on the server that he found on it but once again, i have been disappointed, so many zones from eq1 are not in eq2. eq2 needs a rediscovering expansion where they have overland zones that lead to some new places.
  17. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

Actually, wait, I'm sorry, on that map I linked to it's pointing southeast, not northwest. I forgot the orientation. So yeah, Antonica would be shifted so that east is north basically. The relative orientation of everything makes a lot more sense then. I wouldn't be too worried about specifics, obviously everything from EQ1 was changed in proportion and size and orientation, but the way it is laid out does make sense.
  18. ARCHIVED-Ceeamee Guest

I remember back in beta when the Devs would announce when a group had found specific zones like Everfrost and such. That was alot of fun. My guess is that they don't have the time for such things anymore. They used to do those things back in EQLive also when it first came out. All sorts of things got server announced. Server firsts, marriages and even a particular banning. Good times!
  19. ARCHIVED-Aimor N`Velahr Guest

The Bonebladed Claymore was moved from Befallen and the Knight who took it created Stormhold. As Stormhold was being "Made" the swords curse seeped into the Knight and he directed creation of Stormhold to be similar in look and feel to Befallen, his long cursed home. When the sword completly overtook him, slew all of the knights, raised them from the dead, and wrote his name on the walls, aka "Redrum" or "Gynok". The curses location was moved because it was the resting place of the sword.

There are similarities in relation to one another, of course, but it is shaped by the sword. From a lore standpoint this is perfectly acceptable to me. They look and feel similar because the cursed spirit of Gynok within the sword who was guiding the creating of Stormhold compelled him to create it in such a way.

-Aimor N'Velahr
    House Velahr