Lost locations

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Quinntus, Dec 6, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Quinntus Guest

After spending a little time looking around I have begun to wonder where things from EQ1 are, or might be.

I've noticec that new Blackburrow is much futher south that the previous incarnation, and unless Antonica rotated 90' clockwise, there is no way the new BB could or did ever lead to Everfrost.

I've also found some strange ruins that look like part of a spire near the Windstalker villiage (east of the lake).

I did find this on the web (http://eq2.warcry.com/scripts/images/view_image.phtml?id=47478&site=68)

What else have people found?
  2. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

The "fallen gate" is supposed to be the old "foreign quarter" of Neriak.. However, its position relative to the current "Nektulos Forest" is completely wrong. The odd thing is, the Nektulos forest zone is about where it should be compared to West Freeport. Not really sure how or why the foreign quarter got moved to the opposite end of the forest.
  3. ARCHIVED-NocteBlanc Guest

The door in the Commonlands leading to Fallen Gate is the start of the newly excavated tunnel to the old entrace of Neriak. If you'll notice, the door you see from inside Fallen Gate is bent and looks like someone drove a truck into it, but the one from the outside does not. This is because there are (from a lore standpoint) two doors, and the zoning process simply omits players running through a tunnel and opening a second door.
  4. ARCHIVED-Zutan Guest

That still doesnt explain its relative position.. the tunnel would have to go completely under all of nektulos forest to get to the "old" location of Foreign Quarter.. "first gate" area in Fallen Gate zone should be pretty near the front of the old Foreign Quarter which should be in the North West portion of Nektulos, not South East.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kailbar Guest

There are also Spire ruins west of Freeport. I never spent much time in that area in EQ1, but I don't remember Spires being out that way.

Also, the Spires in Antonica seem to be in completely the wrong area in relation to Blackburrow.

<<sigh>> trying to compare geography between the two games is really complicated. Maybe someone will figure out how to transpose them, but I don't think it's going to be me.
  6. ARCHIVED-NocteBlanc Guest

Exactly. The tunnel is very long, and therefore omitted as something players have to run through. It's covered as you zone.

As for the wizard spires... there were spires in West Commonlands in EQ1, not too far off from the druid ring, so their existance is all fine.
  7. ARCHIVED-RyotGear Guest

There has never been more then one wizard spire on Antonica.
    You have confused the wizard pyramid with the spires. They are very much differnt.
  8. ARCHIVED-Quinntus Guest

There was pyramids in Cazic, East Karana, East Commonlands, North Ro, and Nek Forest (did I miss any?), but only the wizard port that was spires (in Anontica, was in West Karana, just before the bridge.
    I wish I could figure out why those ruins near Windstalker Village look so familiar.
    There is also a deep gorge that runs north/south in the east end of antonica (near Knight Morte Winghammer, the bridge, and highway men: -1736, 350) that (using that overlay) could be where the Karana river turned west.
  9. ARCHIVED-Kulkusa Guest

I suppose it could be said that there were mor spires than those found in EQ1, perhaps buried after the fall of the combine empire, and they somehow emerged after the shattering? :/
  10. ARCHIVED-Straylight Guest

500 years passed between EQ1 and now.

Maybe new spires were built then destroyed in the shattering?

A LOT of new knowledge was unlocked in the endgame of EQ1 (going by eq1 history and lore), so in 500 years, maybe the secrets of the Combine Empire were unlocked and then lost again in the Shattering?
  11. ARCHIVED-NocteBlanc Guest

I wouldn't call it confusion, just willful ignorance toward the difference. If you really wanted to get nit-picky you could say that they look completely different and therefore are different spires, but since this takes place in a parallel universe as EQ1, I just assumed there to be no difference between the spires and pyramids.
    I'd assume the spires in Antonica were the West Karana pyramid and the spires in Thundering Steppes to be the North Karana spires from EQ1.
    There was a pyramid in the Lost Temple of Cazic Thule, I suppose the best way to prove my theory correct would be to see if those are the same graphic as the spires in The Commonlands. There was a pyramid in Nektulos too, actually. Has anyone seen the new-style spires in Nektulos yet? I haven't done much exploring there.
  12. ARCHIVED-NocteBlanc Guest

Actually, it was West Commonlands, not East Commonlands; and West Karana, instead of East Karana. (East Karana had druid rings). And you missed South Ro. :smileywink:
    The big combine-looking spires were in North Karana, before the bridge to South Karana.
    Message Edited by NocteBlanc on 12-07-2004 01:07 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-Quinntus Guest

Could be, that would be about right.

Anybody playing both games? Could you have a look at both and see how similiar they look.

The ruins in Anontica do have this odd little thing in the center that I don't recall seeing, but somehow looks famiilar.
    Message Edited by Quinntus on 12-07-2004 01:39 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Seneca Guest

I think obvious signs such as Blackburrow being on the south side of Antonica, facing away from Everfrost, where it use to be on the east wall of Qeynos hills and from there turning a passage north to Everfrost, are clear indicators that the geography cannot be matched and lined up. As much as I want to and have tried to, they just didn't make it work.

There are certain landmarks which persist, but their locations are not going to align with where we would expect from maps of the past.
  15. ARCHIVED-Tazekiel Guest

What if the Qeynosians decided to clean out the gnoll population, and destroyed the old BB entrance? (infact, I THINK I read something about that, I know there is a bit of gnoll lore with the Bells of Vhalen quest). So, assuming that old BB was shut down, the gnolls moved south (after the rending, many hills and mountains sprang up). This would acount for the new location of BB. There has been alot of change in 500 years (obviously), and for me, some things seem kind of familiar (the broken spires/pyramid in antonica). Remembering Antonica from EQ1, and then reading the Lore chapters, I can see how things may be placed. Windstalker village, for example: there was a small village in the northern part of one of the karanas (haven't played EQ in a loong time, it was the zone that linked to highpass and runnyeye), which could be Windstalker village (though I think this village was referenced in one of the Lore chapters as well...)

Sorry everything is so vague, my workplace has a stupid web-blocker, and I can only access a few sites....
  16. ARCHIVED-troodon311 Guest

The devs know their EQ; they aren't going to mess up and forget where spires are supposed to be :smileyhappy:
  17. ARCHIVED-_Baal_ Guest

well if you goto bb you will notice that there is a cave that use to goto everfrost or where ever it went. you have to swim there once you get in bb.
    i didnt play eq1 taht much, but thought i would point it out. who knows alot of things change in 500 years.
  18. ARCHIVED-Chaws Guest

19. ARCHIVED-Alexandros Guest

If I am not mistaken, the Blackburrow in EQ2, is a new one, since the Shattering destroyed the old one. That's why the gnolls inside are named Sabertooth instead of Blackburrow, which was the original Gnoll Clan name. I read somewhere that these gnolls are descendants of the Original Blackburrow Gnolls.

I was also wondering about the spires near Windstalker Village, and wondered if they are simply the old pyramid with a new look.
  20. ARCHIVED-Harlequiin Guest

Yes there are spires roughly where the pyramid was in Nek Forest. And the Neriak entrance was on the East side of Nek Forest. Sort of NNE of the center of the forest. Though it seems the forest is 10 times bigger than it used to be.