Losing all 6 fabled mats on fail combine intended ?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Proud_Silence, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Proud_Silence Guest

Was crafting a cloak for someone, when my cat decided to hunt down the fly at the wall near me, so she leaped on my desk over my hands and (of course) on numlock....the 3 sec it took me to react and stop walking were long enough to abort my craft due to range, the item at third stage finished, i get the metallic hide back and all 6 fabled ingredients gone...

So to avoid being seen as a scammer i got to use 4 of my own ingredients and buy 2 dragon scales for 770 and 850pp....needless to say i'm fairly disgusted at this. Sure in the end its my fault for aborting the craft process, but don't you get a lot of petitions of frustrated people over things like this ?

Regards, a dissapointed customer
  2. ARCHIVED-Neonblue Guest

This same thing happened to me. I somehow lost a crafting for someone on the scout cloak. And it used all the mats. What was weird is I swear I was at max durability, not sure what happened, but I thought oh well, until I realized I lost all my dragon hides.
    I asked in server chat and everyone seemed to be confused and had no idea that that could happen. I thought it strange that you could get totally screwed by someone crafitng for you if something out of their control happened.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xianthia Guest

You should probably petition this and maybe get the items back. I think this was an issue early on Skyshrine release, but I believe it was later fixed or at least was posted that it was going to be fixed...
    Things like this worry me, I do some commission stuff when I'm on and I catch the occassional person asking for items to be crafted. I don't want to be crafting something and lose the items, that's just bad.
    (going to see if I can find the post)
  4. ARCHIVED-Sylvellior Guest

5. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Lemilla@Permafrost wrote:
    That is an inadequate fix. almost ALL of the materials used to make these recipes are rare. If you buy the materials on the open market, it is typical to spend 700-1200 plat or more. Being refunded only 1 of these pieces, and typically not even the rarest one, is not right.
    I'd petition until they give you ALL the materials back.
  6. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Proud_Silence wrote:
    Moral of the story, never do this type of combine without a potion of innovation.
  7. ARCHIVED-Freejazzlive Guest

Moral of the story: make sure the kitty is not in the room when you're crafting rare items ...
    Seriously, that sucks, & I'd petition for all 6 mats to be returned.
  8. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Freejazzlive wrote:
    Moral of the story is there is a small element of risk involved in any combine. Charge appropriately.
  9. ARCHIVED-Filly67 Guest

Meirril wrote:
    So we should be charging 2,000 plat in case we loose the items and need to replace them? Yeah, that makes sense.
  10. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Filly67 wrote:
    This.
  11. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Filly67 wrote:
    If nothing really out of the ordinary happens a competent 92 crafter has a 100% chance of success with 5-6% chance of getting all materials back. The chance of something catastrophic happening like loosing your internet connection, lagging so badly you can't counter events, having a RNG streak of improbably epically bad proprotions (4 critical failures after you complete the 3rd bar), something happens on your end and the stop button gets hit: less than 1%.
    Lets say your doing a 3 great dragons scale combine so its about 3k in materials. If your charging less than 1% Vegas odds say you arn't charging enough. That's a 30p charge. If your really betting you should be charging 5-6% because your customer can get back their materials on a commission, or you should collect the materials and craft the item to make sure you collect on the free materials. I've offered to do free combines if I got the materials. Funny thing is nobody takes me up on it.
    So really, how much risk are you willing to take?
  12. ARCHIVED-WanyenII Guest

It would be a different story if this was merely a harvested component coming from a common node, but these are not. The risk was taken getting the components -- upfront, instead of on the backend.
    I've had the interface bug out, where the progress bars and effect counter skill buttons disappear as soon as I started the combine, but luckily in those cases it was almost always on a spell or combat art, or similar recipe that used a common node harvested rare. In most cases, in a crafting spec with crafting gear, the combine completed successfully. A few times it did not and the rare was lost. Not copletely aside from the loss of materials, there is an issue of embarrassment and loss of reputation in play too.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Its been this way since the guspansion released.
    Its raid crafting, and its hardcore, don't mess it up =)
  14. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

15. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Meirril wrote:
    This has to be the most ridiculous post defending a design bug I've ever seen.
    When you craft something, the rare materials should not be consumed until the crafting is completed. Period.
    Crafting an item that uses 1200p or more of materials should not get a "too bad so sad" if your power blinks, the game client crashes, the server blips and you are disconnected, or if your cat walks in your keyboard. Period.
    I don't even know how to respond to your idea that crafting an item with expensive materials is "hardcore" and that any failure that eats those materials is the "cost of doing business" which you should "figure into the cost". Were you a leg-breaking loan shark in a past life?
  16. ARCHIVED-Filly67 Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Thank you Feldon for responding to this. You said exactly what I was feeling but Meirill's point in this discussion was so off base I was literally speechless. Which honestly rarely happens to me. Especially on this forum.
    Raw materials are saved fuel is spent. That's the way it has always been. To validate this being handled incorrectly in the discussed scenario when hard earned items and plat are at stake is insane. I have to assume that this person is just posting these opinions to be contrary.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kuulei Guest

I have been making them via commission window and so far my cat only pounces the keyboads when I am grouping / raiding and not crafting. I hope she don't read your post and get any ideas
    I would petition that and also do a /bug
  18. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Filly67 wrote:
    Failure is on the crafter imo, so you should be prepared to purchase replacement materials in the event you fail at making the item. This is the way it was at launch, when if you failed it ate the rare (the primary component). That was when rares were truly rare. you need to charge what will generate enough income to cover your expenses.
    The key to me is you know ahead of time what can happen on failure, so be prepared and use a potion of innovation if it is truly an expensive combine to 'cover your bases'.
  19. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    However eloquently you put it, you are still excusing a design flaw.
    Commission crafting was fixed YEARS ago not to eat the rare. Do you want that to go back to how it was?
    Do you even tradeskill?
  20. ARCHIVED-Mermut Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    I don't know about others, but I know I don't have thousands of plat lying around to purchase insanely expsneive materials on the freak occasion of a connection loss or massive enough lag spike to cover failing on such a recipe with 6 very exspensive rare components...