Lack of technology?

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest

hmmm i dont remember the sarnaks of eqlive ever having repeating stake cannons..... and tinkering has come along ways too... the most technological thing in eqlive you could get was Brigids Frigid Gnasher -sp?- (yeah thats right... you could get a BFG in eqlive :p )
  2. ARCHIVED-Pyra Shineflame Guest

One poster said that technology is born of necessity, and I have to say Gorowyn seems to fit that mold.
    The Sarnak, being practically ever at war, would be the ideal community to have techno inventions such as the Steamers or the cities lifts.
    The Steamers to deal with mass advances that no other city has to deal with and the lifts to make living in the natural stronghold practical.
    Makes sense to me.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Jindrack wrote:
    Then why are there things like Underwater breathing appratus, or spring loaded boots? Exploding barrels? Bombs in your bag (Unrest)...etc...
    Personally if we have exploding barrels and troll snot flingers....I don't see it so far fetched in this 'magical' realm that there couldn't be some sort of flintlock pistols, crossbows, or even shoulder cannons....
  4. ARCHIVED-Pyra Shineflame Guest

Rashaak wrote:
    Well it seems to me that most of what you stated was for practical usage...
    Magic and such probably covers the offensive usage pretty well and would slow the expansive (this is to mean not exclusive to the hard core inventors, don't know english equivalent so I'll make do) growth of offensive weapons.
    Was the Unrest bomber a gnome ghost or another shorty?
    Are exploding barrels widespread or sparse? Where are they found?
  5. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Pyra Shineflame wrote:
    Most are 'tinkered' items that anyone can use,
    However exploding barrels can be found mostly in Splitpaw...however other zones have been known to have exploding barrels or some other explosion necessary to enter another part of the dungeon.
    The bomb's are from the Gnome ghost in the Game room of Unrest. Pretty funny NPC to kill IMO...
    Simple fact is... how or whatever is used to make exploding barrels or those bombs could be used to make things like flintlock weapons and such...
    /shrug
  6. ARCHIVED-Mike8 Guest

in my opinion the one enemy that would cause a technological revolution in norrath would be the Shadow men. they

being able to traverse through worlds would bring weapons and technology that are not known to magic and thus

invunerable to it. with this one case we could see a large technological revolution out of nessesity. also traversing to
    the void would cause this. i am almost certain that the shadow men have stock piles of information and technology

in the void.
  7. ARCHIVED-Pyra Shineflame Guest

The Shadowmen probably do but they would have no reason to share their work with the denizens of a plane they are trying to destroy...and because of their subterfuge, we won't be seeing an arms race against them either any time soon.
    And Rashaak, I wouldn't dream of saying that the Norrathians were incapable of inventing and using technology that we are familiar with.
    They can and of that, I am dead certain.
    As for why they haven't done it, I believe that barring the fanatical gnomes who would persue regardless of danger or a community that needed to make weapons or die, or other practical uses such as the underwater devices, the growth of such technology would be extremely slow in Norrath.
    Magic seems to be far more reliable and versatile than early weaponry.
  8. ARCHIVED-Tatate Guest

I think if you fired a musket at the Avatar of War he would just laugh and then "w t f pwn u"
  9. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Sorzo@Venekor wrote:
    Accually if you fired an early musket at Nathon Ironforge at anything over ~30 feet he would just laugh at the loud noice maker and ask you if you have seeeeen a Gnoll befor, for the billionth time.
    Early fire arms where WILDLY in accurate and took about 20sec to "recharge" if you where very, very good(the accurate rifles took longer). In stead you could drop Flamestrike (a lvl 43 Spell that does 612 damage, about what a musket would do IF it accually hit) on someone's head, wich hits almost every time, and have it ready to fire again in 3 sec.
    So lets see I could choose a Matchlock Musket(and I am giving you some grace here because an even worst firearm proceded this thing) that:
    1. does not work in the rain,
    2. does not hit ANYTHING at over 30 feet, and is even inaccurate closer in,
    3. takes 20 seconds to "recharge"(reload) and then only if I am VERY good,
    4. does a moderate amount of damage.
    5. and has a good chance of blowing up in your face.
    Or I can choose a fairly commin(this is the part of first spell line a Wizzard gets) spell that:
    1. works no matter what the weather
    2. hits almost all the time
    3. takes 3 seconds to recharge(so if you miss you can fire again faster)
    4. does a moderate amount of damage.
    I think I would rather take 20 shots per minute, and have it hit more often then not, then have a weopon that a could very well blow up in my face while only fireing 3 shots per min and doing almost the same amount of damage, assuming I could accually hit anything with it.
  10. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

ke'la wrote:
    Well...we're all not wizards now are we? So your arguement is a bit moot. Sure flintlocks were not completely accurate, however with some of the technology we do have, i don't see why these are not something that could be in use. Jindrack's excuse as to why there are not more advanced items was kinda weak sauce to be honest...and basically just took from it that he really didn't have an answer, or the answer...'because i didn't want guns in my game' ya know? ;)
    Anyway...I don't think its too far fetched to have some weaponry other than sword and bows...
    /shrug
  11. ARCHIVED-Pyra Shineflame Guest

True, not everyone in Norrath is a wizard....but there are enough that if you try to shoot one with anything remotely resembling early guns, you are toast.
    I'd imagine battle would be more of a "fight fire with fire" thing in which normal people could have fun stabbing each other while the big guns tried to take each other out.
    The argument was actually quite valid. How good would that gun be against an assassin? Berserker in full plate? Any of the priests (as they are also spell casters) or any of the mages?
    It might be good for the really really normal civilians but with Norrath in tormoil, its unlikely there would be enough merchants to even bother inventing for if they can just hire someone.
  12. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Rashaak wrote:
    Really you don't think it's too far fetched? Um, how many years have humans been on earth? and how many of them OTHER then those in europe developed guns? How many besides thoughs around the Meditorainian develop Weopons beyond Swords and Bows? Heck how many developed beyond stone age weopons? Answers below:
    Humans have been on earth for about 100,000 years.
    How many humans other then Europians developed guns? NONE.
    How many besides those around the Med developed beyond Swords and Bows? 1 China
    How many besides those around the Med developed beyond the Stone Age? 3 China, Mongul, and Japan
    given above no it's not at all far feched to think that weopons beyond even STONE AGE ones would be developed. Heck if it was not for Europians, The peoples of the Americas, and Sub-Saharian Africa at the very least would STILL be using Stone Age weopons.
    ::EDIT::
    Heck Shaka Zulu was still using Stone Spears, and Leather Shieds in 1824
  13. ARCHIVED-Pyra Shineflame Guest

But of course, after they started getting guns right technology kind of took off though.
    The Chinese were actually quite impressive with their early weaponry but yea, through in magic into that vat of technological stagnation and we have Norrath!
  14. ARCHIVED-Mike8 Guest

Pyra Shineflame wrote:
    who says there going to share. steal pillage anything to stay alive the shadowmen (at least the ones we see) are our enemy so if they bring weapons that cant be affected by magic then we will need something that isnt magic)

also personally i think norrath is at about the time of a technological revolution. we are seeing more technology also the continents are being traveled to (just like earth we couldent have guns without gun powder which is from china) so with combinations of seemingly worthless technology we can create one really good one that will start a revolution.

also back then what we would call science was considered magic (alchemy)
  15. ARCHIVED-Tatate Guest

Early muskets were indeed highly inaccurate, first being used by the Chinese. Well, actually they weren't really muskets, just hand cannons (Which had a nasty reputation of blowing the user's hand off if it misfired). Early grenades were also first used by the Chinese, but I don't really think I would want to try using one due to the high possibility of it blowing me up before I threw it. Indeed though, you would probably need to be within a few yards if you wanted a guaranteed hit.
    Magic > gun powder technology
  16. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

ke'la wrote:
    lol

You are attempting to justify what with your comments on real world history?
    It is not far fetched within this game in its current model to have some type of mechanic that allowed for say guns, bombs, rifles and crossbows. With this FANTASY realm known as Norrath (Everquest) it is completely possible; and is just a matter of developers deciding they want to put it in. Do not attempt to utilize real life logic and history when dealing with a video game where anything could possibly occur.
    In this game, we have floating citadels, mechanized robots, exploding barrels, explosive device as a main weapon for one NPC named mob, and a slew of other gears and widgets through out Norrath are in this game currently. Also didn't the gnomes create some type of flying machine that crashed on the moon or whatever? Or drill machine...
    How about the HQ that gives you a weight reduction bag from the gnome in Bonemire. You have to collect components that end making a rocket pack....
    Yes...it is completely and entirely possible to have weaponry other than swords and bows in this video game called Everquest 2 because if you want to base things of reality or the real word, there is no such thing as a Fireball or Icestorm "spell" that can be emmited from a person in the real world.
    So yes...it is not so far fetched....
  17. ARCHIVED-Gukkor2 Guest

Actually, iirc, there were some concept models for crossbows early on in the development of EQ2, but they never showed up in the actual game.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rashaak Guest

Gukkor2 wrote:
    I remember seeing a screenpic a long time ago of a half-elf girl on the docks with a crossbow on her back, but thought that was for Guildwars... /shrug
    its been awhile...
  19. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

There are crossbows all over the place in game, unfortunately they are currently just part of the scenary
    And Rashaak: you mention that it "is just a matter of developers deciding they want to put it in", but have you considered that maybe the devs have thought about it and decided that they are not going to put it in, no matter how much you (or anyone else) rationalises why/how it could/should be put in
    At the base of it all, EQ2 is a 'Sword & Sorcery' game
  20. ARCHIVED-Mike8 Guest

welll i think they have we have robots and teleporters and plenty of other stuff so if that isnt technology what is?