Lack of technology?

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll Guest

If you take a look at EverQuest and EverQuest II, in 500 years no technology really changes or advances at all. From what you've seen in-game, you can assume that Norrath would be in it's High Middle Ages. You see clockworks and mechanical steam-powered devices, yet no cannons or early muskets?
    Norrath really lacks some serious brains! What do you think?
  2. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

You need to take into account what has been going on in the past 500 years, though. Giant wars, mass destruction, races being pushed from their homelands, travel cut way down. People have been busy enough just trying to survive.
  3. ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll Guest

Eh, if they would have took the time to look into future advancements they could have halted any invasion upon their homeland.
  4. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

BarrelRoll wrote:
    Yeah, because this is exactly how people thought in the middle ages.....
  5. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

BarrelRoll wrote:
    Right. Remind me again when they had the time for that? Even without wars, how about the rending and the shattering? There was still a ton of things going on..
  6. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Actually I do believe an advancement in technology has taken place if you are willing to carefully look for it. The little gnome in the baubbleshire *If I remember correctly* talkes about is special frezorator contraption. Also one thing I noticed in Klak'anon is the clockworks are able to use magical abilities. 500 years before EQ1 in EQOA clockworks could only use their appendages to attack never knowing how to use magic.
  7. ARCHIVED-Jindrack Guest

The availability and usefulness of magic tends to slow down the progress of technology. Why would someone look into making guns, cars, or telephones when there are existing spells that can throw fireballs, teleport to a specific place, or communicate across long distances?
  8. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

the only race in EQ that would even consider making something like firearms would be the Gnomes. and after a few of them died in explosions, they probably wouldn't bother with it much after that. much like the clockworks. gnomes are the only beings that understand and can build clockworks effectively. no other race has the foggiest clue how to do it. and after Ak'anon became Klak'anon, even the gnomes clockwork technology has been shoved back.

Oh, and I seriously doubt a musketball would stop a giant or an ogre, much less a Planar being like say, the ones that invaded the Nexus.

and I bet the Avatar of War would have laughed at them if they'd tried it on him.
  9. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Rainy wrote:
    Oh come now, be reasonable! If powerful magic couldn't be of help, surely muskets are the answer! ;)
  10. ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll Guest

Jindrack wrote:
    Fireball you say? How about a high explosive depleted uranium tank round? Tanks, jeeps, fighter jets, bombers, helicopters, rifles, explosives, nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons beat magic anyday. " width="15" height="15">
    If you really look at it, not everyone on Norrath knows magic. I really don't think the Avatar of War could take so many shots from HEAT rounds that he would still be standing. For some reason, I think of the movie Transformers when you say " Avatar of War ". High heat sabot rounds are the only weapons that can damage their heavy armor. " width="15" height="15">
    Either way, Norrath is FAR from any technology you would see on Earth.
  11. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

BarrelRoll wrote:
    I think someone's been playing too much HALO 2. If EQ2 players wanted this stuff it would be here or they'd be playing another game.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

okay, then let me explain the Avatar of War to you. the Avatar of War was an ogre being that was imbued with divine power from the God of War to be his represent him on Norrath. he wielded Soulfire, one of the most mysterious and apparently powerful weapons on Norrath's surface. not only could he probably take a hit from a tank, but the shell would probably barely dent his body armor.

disease and poison would barely touch him. if fact, the only being that was capable of the feat, and did beat him, was the Avatar of Tranquility, and equally powerful being.
  13. ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll Guest

TheSpin wrote:
    Please be aware that we're talking about a what-if theory. Also, I haven't played Halo 2 in a LONG time. I haven't even played it on Xbox Live. ( *Cough* Stupid )
  14. ARCHIVED-BarrelRoll Guest

Rainy wrote:
    If a tank round only dents him, you need more highly powered weapons. Which there are. :p
  15. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Jindrack wrote:
    *shrug* The little gnome said the same thing saying it's easier to whip up an ice spell, but he prefered to make his Freezerator contraption.
  16. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Amana wrote:
    And the majority of the other races think gnomes are more than a bit crack-pot. Thus, why would anyone other than a gnome trust any sort of contraption built by a gnome?

Tinkering is as close as you get to technological advancements.. and now that everyone can learn it, the world might get a bit of technology.
  17. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

What you got to look at though is that inorder to have say High Powered rifles you first must have a Musket and inorder to have a Musket you must have a Flint Lock and inorder to have a Flintlock you must have a Matchlock. So why would you take the time to fire 3 extreemly inacurate(over 50 yards you almost always miss) shots a Min, with a weopon that is almost as likly to blow you up as it is to kill the enemy(all early gunpowder weopons), when every min or so you could drop Ice Nova on thier rears, and 99 time out of 100 have it land for full effect.
  18. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

If I remember correctly... wasnt there some kind of gimped gun in EQ1?
  19. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

I'm still not convinced. No, not everyone can use magic - but then, not everyone can construct bombs or has access to tanks, either. I still don't see the need for many of these things regardless... Summon fire from the sky or bombs, airplane or find a wizard to teleport you.. Enemy fire? Forget it, just find a shaman to ward you..
    Anyway, for the heck of it, let's pretend for a moment that there was a need. You still have not answered my question, when did they have time to accomplish this? If earth went through what Norrath has, I doubt we'd be inventing much either. There would be a bigger struggle to survive, and to not lose the technology we have now. It would be quite the set back, don't you think?
  20. ARCHIVED-Almeric_CoS Guest

BarrelRoll wrote:
    Whee, I was just pondering exactly this sort of thing only a few weeks ago!