Isle Of Refuge is DEAD

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wormy, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Main reason I am not currently interested in IoR, admittedly, is the requirement of All-Access status, but that is my fault. I moved Zoraas over there awhile ago, and would probably play her from time to time if I had Kunark Ascending lol. Sadly, I have the money for neither due to unfortunate circumstances (Or do I...? Book buybacks start today).

I also kinda had momentary buyer's remorse when I /who all'd and it only called back 30 results, but that was relatively early in the day. It's pop was relatively nice in the evenings, I just had no guild at the time to enjoy it with xD missed Lava Forged's mass exodus to the islands.
    Prissetta likes this.
  2. Kasarn New Member

I started a character from scratch on IoR when the server opened and it was a lot of fun leveling ADV/TS 100/100. I even used my 95-boost to create another character here and transferred two more characters over with the $5 transfer. Now I have all my 'evil' toons here and I thought the server would keep growing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the OP that the server now seems fairly empty. During the day, we can barely get 50 players on the server and lucky if we can get 100 during prime-time. This makes it difficult to get enough players to even do the PQs. On Maj'Dul (my 'good' toons server), PQs are filled as soon as they pop and I actually see people questing at lower levels.

IoR is not a bad server if you like the peace and quiet but I miss the activity that Maj'Dul and HoF have. All the good things people have said about the server are true, it just needs more players.
    Livx likes this.
  3. Jexi Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people that still sub to the game but afraid to start a character here because it's still new and not established yet. When you come over it will be a full server then. lol Don't wait for other people to come over for you to make it "full". We have to be proactive about this. It doesn't hurt those people that subscribe already to come play here once in awhile. Feel free to come over and build up our player base. As for people who don't subscribe that's fine. Everyone understands that people may or may not want to subscribe. I subscribed after being a free player for many years just so I could play here. If I wasn't able to I would be playing on Skyfire again. I just have multiple server options now. I remember the days when people were mad that the game went free to play because they were subbers. Now there's a sub server and people are unhappy that they would have to sub to come here. I can't say about the adventure activity on the server because I only decorate, but I see people running activities in general chat. I see a nice raid server on Isle of Refuge as well, so I know they're doing things also. I've been logged in for at least 5-8 hours a day or more because I work from home. People chat and people do things. It doesn't really seem dead to me. I do notice the most people are online when everyone is off from work. Don't hold that against them. I see it growing with time. It just won't grow watching it from the sidelines, though. It was a pain starting over, but I am almost to the point of where I was on Skyfire so I don't count that as a loss. I started on Isle of Refuge Feb 2nd, 2017. I'm max level, almost maxed all my recipes again. That wasn't long. I'm sure adventuring is the same way.
  4. Kristabella Well-Known Member

I will tell you how. On the broker it is one steady price, for the most part take it or leave it. In the auction channel the price keeps going up and up and up and up, those not being able to afford the high bids drop out, until someone with a lot more plat gets it.

Also, as stated many times before, Isle is a different kind of server, different type of games. I will give you a "for instance": I was looking at an item i wanted on the broker. It was 85kpp. I was willing to pay the 85k I did nto want to pay the 17k in broker fees and there was no house listing to go pick it up and avoid the fees. I contacted the seller asked him to pull it from the broker and meet me at the CL docks, and I would pay him in full the 85k. He said just a minute... then said recheck the broker now. I looked again and he reduced it to 30K, even with the broker fees I bought it outright. You would NOT give this in an auction channel, ever. This person does this regularly and even gives expensive items away to people not even in his guild.

So, it is quite different here on the Isle.
    Pixistik, Juraiya, Cloudrat and 2 others like this.
  5. GamerHudson1970 New Member

Paid accounts keep out the riff raff and account botters. No thanks. Ill pay my membership and support the company

Cloudrat, Kristabella and Leeroy like this.
  6. Brightlyz Active Member

I get all that. The post i was commenting on was implying that buying raid gear in auction was somehow more legit then buying it from the broker on IoR. My opinion is that it is exactly the same thing and the heirloom/no-trade tag is stupid. I quit playing a couple months ago because population is terrible and all this stuff that separates the already bad population is silly.
  7. Jexi Well-Known Member

We have consistently shown max people online this evening so there must be people playing. :)
    Prissetta likes this.
  8. Merriel Well-Known Member

Where do you come off deciding who is riff raff and who isn't? A paying customer is as likely to be a troll as someone who is not a paying customer. Just because someone can't or doesn't pay, doesn't make them riff raff. There are a number of good reasons for some people not to pay to play. There are also a number of paying customers who have multiple accounts, some of which are not paid accounts, just as I do. So does that make me riff raff on my unpaid accounts but on my paid accounts I'm as good as the next person who pays? That certainly makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Years ago when I was just out of high school I waitressed for Pizza Hut. The town I lived in was designed in such a way that actually separated the wealthy from the not so wealthy and the high school on the north end of town was attended by those kids whose parents were well-to-do and the south end of town, the high school was attended by kids whose parents actually had to work hard to keep a roof over their head and food on their tables. We would get students from both ends of town coming in for lunch, and it was the kids from the south end of town who would tip their waitress and the ones from the north end of town rarely tipped. Who would you call the riff raff in this instance?

It is my belief that because these kids from the south end of town knew what it was like to live paycheck to paycheck, they had a better understanding of what real life is all about, and those whose parents were well-to-do never had to worry about where their next meal was coming from and simply did not comprehend that tips are a part of a waiter or waitresses income. Good behavior is learned, we are not born with it. It doesn't matter whether you are born into poverty or wealth, your behavior is based on how well you were raised and the choices you make...simple as that.

I'm sorry, but wealth does not equate to disreputable or undesirable people, and this would include botters too. Someone who pays is as likely to bot as someone who doesn't, if they think they can get away with it. Your theory doesn't hold water and is a poor excuse as to why to exclude someone just because they can't or don't pay to play.

Do I think this is the reason why DBG chose to exclude them? Certainly not. I think they did it to try and separate out those who pay to play and those who don't so they could eventually shut down the free to play servers and only keep those servers that are pay to play. They just didn't take into consideration those people who both pay to play and play on free accounts at the same time, like myself, who aren't interested in changing to a server where we can't play on our free accounts.

I don't respect you any less for choosing to play on IoR, if that floats your boat, but it irks me to think there are people like yourself who think that having money makes you better than someone else, because it doesn't.
  9. Kristabella Well-Known Member

No one has to "come off" deciding anything. The proof is in the pudding. The very reason I left other servers and transfered to this server was just for this very reason. I was sick of all the arguing, the bickering, the name calling, the I am better than you junk night and day, the elitism that you cannot join this group or that raid if you don't have what they want or do what they want, and I can go on and on and on.

NO one decided anything. It is APPARENT that sub only server, doesn't have these problems. This has NOTHING to do with money either. I know people who pay for their subs with in game plat, no cash at all for them. Regardless of WHY DBG made a sub only server, the results are the same. No arguing, no bickering, people helping people, guilds - regardless if the person in in their guild, helps non guilded players, for free, and entire friendly server. YOU can call it what you want, but at the end of the day it is the truth, a sub-only server reduces the problem accounts.

Any time someone has tried to come in there and troll or start mess, the entire server stops it, right from the start. They are asked to stop, and to respect the community, and if they don't, the majority of the server puts them on ignore. Now they won't be able to do anything, accomplish anything, and are stuck, they will have to delete their toon. I would like to see that happen on AB or Maj Dul.... Good Luck with that, to have an entire server as a caring community.

And your theory of well-to-do vs not so well-to-do doesn't hold water. In real life would you and your wife and children go for a stroll in the not so well-to-do part of town (every town has one) at 2 am? While every subscription is paid by someone, not everyone pays for their game with cash, some play free but are still subbed thru kronos. We have many on our server who pay with Kronos they bought off the broker, and they behave. So it is not about money. It basically comes down to those who like chaos and turmoil not wanting to pay for a sub with cash or krono, just to cause problems on the server to get attention to themselves.
    Pixistik and Cloudrat like this.
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

Kristabella, you missed my point to a certain extent. As I said before, I do not disrespect anyone who chooses to play on IoR...that is their choice. If they want to pay to play and be stuck on one server forever, regardless of population, I respect that decision. If people have the time to farm the plat and pay for Kronos so they can play on IoR, good for them...I don't object to their choice to play there.

Personally, I would not be caught walking in ANY neighborhood at 2am regardless of how well-to-do that neighborhood is, because it simply wouldn't be wise to do so. Yes, a well-to-do neighborhood MIGHT be safer to walk in than a neighborhood in the slums, but that isn't because the people who live there are any better than those who live in the slums. It is because the wealthy can and will pay the extra money necessary to ensure better security in their neighborhood. You still could be living next door to a thief or a ****** or whatever, and not ever know it or not find out until years later. I've known people of wealth who live like absolute slobs and I've known people who are poor based on circumstances beyond their control who live in immaculate conditions because they take pride in what little they have. I've also know people who are well-to-do who live in immaculate conditions and poor people who have lived like slobs. Again, wealth does not make one person better than the next. It still comes down to how you were raised and the decisions you make in your life that determine how good a person you are. Does it make it right to segregate people because of their financial circumstances? Not in my opinion.

Your opinion may differ and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. I just hate it when people judge others based on something they may have no control over. When a person says having money makes you a better person, they are completely wrong and off-base. Money has NOTHING to do with the behavior of a person. More security just tends to get the jerks to 'hide' their behavior from others who are close to them. IoR server may have better 'security' but that doesn't make the player base there any better than the player base elsewhere...it just keeps things under control better because the staff are going to give more security where the money is at, which makes perfect sense...it doesn't necessarily make it right though. I respect the decision of those who wish to play there, as we are all human and free to make our own choices. I choose not to play there based on my own beliefs and matter of principle.

Kronos are not free and not everyone has the time to farm the plat to pay for them, especially as expensive as they are on the broker. So no matter how you look at it, some good people are still being excluded from playing on that server.
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

Ya know...if you can afford the high speed access to play MMO's in the first place? And all of us know what that costs (in the US).

Why is an extra 15 / mo (for as many hours of fun as you want) so unattainable?
    Cloudrat and Prissetta like this.
  12. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Because there are 500 other options for $0 a month.
  13. Ummmyeh Active Member

I will add that the majority of SLR's have alts that bid up the price on the unsuspecting consumer. That has been well known and obvious for years. Plus they are always trying to pawn off the merely average stuff like it is the best thing since Wonder bread. I always lol when I pop onto a SLR and see the 139 pot ring going for lots of plat all because the seller emphasizes that it has 10k ab mod--one person bids then all of a sudden 3 more people are bidding too (SLR alts). A fool and their plat are soon parted and that fuels the SLR craze.
  14. Ummmyeh Active Member

Sorry you took exception to that persons comment and decided to write a book. I do agree with some of your thoughts. But since you have boycotted the server why do you feel privileged to write such long drawn out comments about it? You simply could have stated your reason why and then moved on to the next thread. But nooooooooooo, we have to get a life story or 2 or 3 that is borderline off-topic.
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

Because I have as much right to voice my opinion here as you do and how else will the devs know how people feel about things if they don't voice their opinion. But, be that as it may, I have said my piece and I will happily move along now.
    Ummmyeh likes this.
  16. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

The server is dead honestly. Theres fewer people on it than Stormhold.

Might have 100 active players. Wopti doo.

No matter how friendly and non toxic people are, it doesnt make up the fact that this server, its even harder getting into 5 mans and you will hardly ever see anyone while leveling.

Its the same wrapping as all other low pop servers.
  17. Wormy New Member

Its even worse now Fallen Gate is open PLEASE allow us to move toons off this server, I dont even care if they come with nothing i just want the time I have put into the toon.
  18. Minime New Member

The server is totally dead. This morning there were 19 people on...the entire server. We need to be given the option to transfer. This was a wonderful server till Fallen Gate started up.
  19. Nucleaar Member

Second'ing naked transfers off. I want my defiler back! :,(
  20. Stach Well-Known Member

Just make the live servers the same type of rules as IoR and then allow everyone to move off. Fixed
    Juraiya, Prissetta and Ursa Minor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.