Is there a way to 3d print my character?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Griffon Lady, May 27, 2020.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The main thing I adored about Landmark were "all those wonderful toys": all the tools to shape and carve things that we got. Seriously, if they'd incorporated that kind of capability into EQ3 (harvest a bunch of Teak, for example, then plop it all down on the floor and start carving away on it: make your own CIRCULAR doorways or windows, with decorative/exercise spheres out of what you removed; square removes of material wherever you want [and blocks, or stairs, or railings of whatever size you want/need]; true, flat triangle TILES and possibly triangle blocks that are called that; cones; small, plain, square-cross section cylinders, you name it), I'd've been way more sold on it. :)

And the option to buy land, perhaps vacant lots in the cities, that we could do up from scratch but have it be safe from any marauding PVPers (another reason I wasn't sold on EQ3. That and the insistence on calling it "EQ Next!11!!1!! :D" and having a world map that was an exact copy of EQ1's... "EQ...Two? :confused: Nah, that never happened, ignore that."). :-/

Uwk
    Griffon Lady and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Good ol' CC! We must get together in a PM and discuss how to do printing in full-scale (1" = 5', 24" x 36" layouts using sheets of 8.5" x 11" paper...), if you could figure it out; I haven't yet. :confused:

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! Third-party for the win. ;)

Uwk
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I am sending you a pm.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Got it; thanks! :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Geroblue like this.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

best linux is debian. it has longest user support. but to play eqii, you need debian-based build that includes proprietary drivers for video card (this belong to any linux. for example, when installing manjaro you will be offered choice to install system with proprietary drivers). and you forget about bugs, viruses and problems with this game. in addition, it's used by russians on ISS (one cannot but admit that their weapons are best in world). your spacemans use red hat, but it costs money and it’s harder to find fedora-based build with proprietary drivers. something based on ubuntu is often best choice for most linux beginners. for example, supergamer 6 (https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10940) just came out. oh.. what am i talking about here? perhaps didn't get enough sleep [yawns]
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ubuntu! I'd heard quite a bit about it, and am strongly considering it, looking at all the nonsense with Win10 (never trusted that; I should've gotten on with Win8.1 when I had the chance :-/)... ;->

But what I'd actually meant by "third party" was a company like Hero Forge, who can either whip up something based on your character specs (given their traits list) or nowadays offer a file for your own 3D printing at home. :)

Uwk
    who thinks: Windows releases are like Indiana Jones movies: the even numbered ones seem to suck :-/
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I remember that even number linux versions are buggy as they are new. The odd numberbed versions are the bug fixes for the previous even numbered
    version.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

number is even.0 or odd.0 is in some cases, as beta. then 0.1 (0.2, 0.3, etc) is added, as 0.1 for eighth windows or not added. but nothing prevents you from always using stable releases and never using unstable*. with windows is not so - you are always forced to use unstable ten release** (by default, are updated you to it without your knowledge, from relatively stable to unstable).. parity or oddness is very unreliable sign of definition of "finalization" of linux releases. this is true only for some linux and for last digit of version number. unstable linux releases that are free to use are offered for download only because there is community that wants to improve them. it's like test server here. also fedora, although any of its next (non-beta) releases are very stable compared to windows, however, it's primarily a testing ground for the next release of red hat. and if red hat costs more than windows***, then they know what they are taking this money for, as well as those companies that pay them (including US department of defense). red hat saves on development costs with large Fedora user base, largely due to which it turns out in end one of the best solutions in world for x86..
    by way, don't try to install linux on your computer****, if you don't know and don't know how to save your windows in working, more precisely, in living condition. if you don’t know how then to recover (suddenly something wrong) bootloader for operating systems or just again booting windows. you can also ask what and how regarding installation/use of linux and playing eqII it in , and of me, but in other thema or in "private" message, from this forum (unfortunately, delay in response may be long, or it may not be answer) i apologize for because of me there was some deviation from topic OP.
    in linux, it should be recognized, fewer tools for working with 3d than in windows (nothing but blender comes to mind). the main reason to use linux.. it that how to use hand-built car instead of conveyor model.. Uwk correctly noted that odd windows are more suitable for use (these are final versions of nt 5.1, seven and perhaps 8.1, only they are outdated and continue to become obsolete in respect of security***** and for some programs and some peripherals)

* you can always find out, usually on page of distro
    ** some thought that earlier it was an intentional company policy to make people hope that new build of windows will be free from bugs of previous one. perhaps in order for them to buy new windows? however, new and new bugs and "holes" for exploiting these bugs appear and process of fixing them is endless..
    *** this is what microsoft is trying to convince its users that their windows will ultimately cost less than red hat
    **** for this, one or more partitions are created on disk with windows or on another disk. usually one, or two if "home" folder is in another partition. and you get choice: either you enter your windows or enter your linux (-es)
    ***** "windows 7 extended security updates" program, as I understand it, is only for companies and educational institutions and is a paid subscription
  10. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

so what? has someone already send for them submission for toon print from EQii? perhaps i'm wrong, but it seems to me that they can only offer you "tokens" (and not authentic 3d models). did dbg give them access? "tokens" (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20) such as they offer, you can do yourself if you have 3d printer (only high-quality screenshots from game with preferably monochromatic and plain background behind are needed)
    for example using something like this https://imagetostl.com/
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

/shrug I take what I can get, if it's close enough. ;->

Uwk
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

right.. there are people who earn on laziness of others
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or inabilities; my old flip-phone (it's a "dumb" phone [but way sturdier than the li'l mini-computers the rest of y'all probably have ;->]; it only makes phone calls and texts, and could take pictures if I could somehow download them and free up my SIM card space) has a lot of important business stuff on it from the Elder Days, but I doubt I could ever download them to a new phone or even my Win7 desktop (I've tried that), or that my ancient-of-days SIM card would work on any of the newer models.

Plus, I'd like to ask someone who actually knows what they're doing with a specific company's technology, face-to-face, with my phone on the desk between us so they could poke at it, rather than just some fresh-faced kidling behind a counter...

"Yeah, sure! It'll do anything and everything you need! It'll be the OS for the manned flight to Mars! :D"
    "Will it accept all my old saved data?"
    "Uhh...why would you want that? :confused: Er, why are you pounding your forehead on the counter? That might crack the glass..."

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  14. Nuggetmachine Member

Forgive the armchair developer suggestions but...

Couldn't you code in a feature to copy the object mesh, with the snap-ons (armor, wieldables, etc) into a .obj or whatever the 3D printing service of choice requires? Would be pretty cool to print my character and hand paint it.

Regardless, I know it would probably be too much work, and I know the team is smaller these days.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

@Uwk, ah, that's incorrect. You pound their forehead into the counter. They wont learn, but they might understand they were mistaken in their attitude towards your data.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! :D

Any ideas? It's an ancient-of-days Samsung, and I've already tried a USB cable between it and my Win7 Home desktop, without success. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  17. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

sorry
    what model? there marking has not yet been erased? and where it .. is required to connect? to washing machine?
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

ROFL! :D I wouldn't be a bit surprised. ;->

"It's an old Type-40; everyone else is up to the Type-79's..." whoops, sorry, wrong model number... ;->

It's an SGH-T139.

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Not all USB cables are the same. They may look identical, but some are charging cables and some do data transfer.
  20. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

unsurprisingly, because you tried to connect it to connector destined for charging (this is normal for newer phones but not for older). can only be connected via bluetooth. need appropriate (including 2.0 specification) usb-bluetooth adapter for desktop (or laptop). only in windows it also often works poorly. in linux usually has no problems with this (need usb-bluetooth adapter and bootable live disk with linux, and understanding of what is happening sure). simplest solution is to do same with this phone, that all other users of this phone once done with it..
    Cyrrena likes this.