Is there a way to 3d print my character?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Griffon Lady, May 27, 2020.

1. Albanara Active Member

I had a feeling that something like this might be the case. Not a recognizable format like a .fbx or .obj. Something proprietary?
  2. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

No it would work I suppose, but it looks like it grabs everything in the game frame which would include the character and the environment.
  3. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

You have to go in and delete all the geometry that isn't your character.
  4. Albanara Active Member

Yeah, for 3d ripper, i can see that being the case for sure.
  5. Obano Well-Known Member

Easy enough if the model is ripped from an area where there isn't much other geometry such as from the dressing room window.
  6. Albanara Active Member

Sure, I guess compared to UVing all day, cleaning up geo isn't really that bad,lol
  7. Melt Actually plays the game

I'd buy a Rallos Zek model. It could sit with all my little collector box trinkets (Highland Stalker ftw)
  8. Svenone Well-Known Member

No, you are right, I am not an animator and don't know the details required. I haven't even written code in over 10 years, and doing graphical work was never an option when I can't even draw a straight line with a straightedge. I just know that in general people tend to get caught up in the reasons why they can't do something, rather than trying to look for ways that they can do something.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

Seems like what is needed is a stripped down version of the EQ2 client that renders the character in an empty zone, and then outputs that as something that can then become a solid shape. What I think would be the biggest roadblock is that a lot of the detail of your character is part of texture and bump maps, not the underlying geometry.
  10. Avithax Well-Known Member

Im sure an EQ2 toon could be 3D printed however your printer would lag "waiting for toner server' for hours and when it eventually worked they would just do a hotfix and break it.
    Jaeded and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And now they also have frog-folk, just recently introduced. They also have wolf-folk and orcs, so if you've ever had a hankering for a Gnoll or Orc PC... ;->

(EDIT: And now they just came out with hyena-folk; "giggle dogs"... ;->)

But yeah, using HeroForge (just in case folks aren't familiar with them; hey, it could happen ;->), I think I could get a close approximation of Uwk, here...provided they have the proper horned helmets in stock. ;->

Uwk
    who isn't gonna shell out cash for ALL the Horde...even at only $7-8 per for the downloaded toon, that'd be a bit much :-/
    Griffon Lady, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ooh! Just looking at making "Uwk" here; I forgot they also have a selection of wings, so you could also make Fae- or Arasai-folk (and include the more "techno-wing" stuff), or even Aerakyn, complete with various horn types. :)

Sarnak are also possible, as are Iksar and even the Snake-folk from Luclin. ;->

Uwk
    Griffon Lady, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  13. Seth Well-Known Member

Well i mean you already added a £1,300 mount to a merchant, how could this be any different. just make a cheap way to 3d print the peoples character and use the overall ingame content as a great point of inspiration.

Then sell it for double or nothing. Remember to offer us a pack of infusers and chaos essesences along with it.

" Limited Time " 3D PRINT YOUR MODEL FOR ONLY £2,600 ! Only 700 left. Limited Time Deal ends on the 26th, Beef our banks before we beef the game. #TheExperience.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, when in doubt, third-party. I'll post pics of my Uwk figure as soon as I do some last tweaks to get his armor style, at least, a bit closer to what he's actually wearing. ;->

Hero Forge = $7.99 for your own downloading and 3D printing at home. I don't have a 3D printer, but I know a bloke (brother of a buddy) and I have his email address, so I'm able to get the .zip file to him, and once all the various curfews, quarantines, etc. are lifted, I'll be able to go over to his place and pick it up, or he can mail it to me as long as the Post Office still exists. ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Tangris and Breanna like this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

The paper doll screenshots don't have background, etc. items in them. Just the character.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cyrrena like this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Now if there was a way to get the other side of the character with the paper doll screen shot.

Currently, just the front of the character gets downloaded.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've got Uwk's back, too...and to think; I could get things like VISIBLE BELTS and such as well, if I wanted them as an option with Hero Forge! :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  18. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Aye, but there's the shape needed for a 3d print. What Ttoby is saying is that the program would pick up all the geometry (Ever gotten close to an object in game and seen the inside of your toon's head? The actual eyeballs and teeth like dentures and things like that?) A 3d program and printer would try printing all the pieces individually. Like a teleporter putting you in a wall, It just doesn't work.

Maybe some of the programers will figure out a way to program a 3d printer that wouldn't have a conflict there, just merge all the pieces or only scan parts on the surface and consider an intersecting point to be merely a change in the surface shape, ignoring where the parts continue into the interior.

And yes people, game companies hire artists that are not programmes and programs that are not artists. You hire people who are good at what you need, not people that are one person game companies that can do everything.... sheesh... You know the saying. Jack of all trades, master of none. People who think an artist should "fix the game" are just ... [trying not to get to mean here, mentally editing a rant]...silly. A meme image of a person with a particularly flexible spinal column to place their head in an unlikely place comes to mind every time I see someone telling artists to fix programing...

I'm not a programer either, so I don't have a clue how complicated that would be. My hubby is a newly graduated programer and sometimes seems to have to hold his breath and count to ten when I ask things like if he could ever make a holographic or virtual reality sculpting program for me that behaves like reality (use my hands and hand held tools, add water or let it dry aka change texture and consistency). /shrug. Such a small thing to ask, right? Not sure why he almost passes out... >.> (jk. I know I ask for tall orders that make Everest look like a fun hike.)

Honestly, if Landmark had gone virtual reality, dropped the need for obscene amounts of materials (you don't need time sinks if you sell it as an art program that has fellow artists running around with you. It would have been like Second Life, but with a much more intuitive and accessible way of making things), and added an option for EQ2's method of instanced housing that stays put forever, that would have been a lot of fun for sculpting. Guessing it would have taken far too much memory on servers though. Add the ability to 3d print and it'd be heaven. ^_^
    I've tried learning how to operate 3d programs, and my old brain just locks up. Guess I need more ram in my brain... >.<
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, in the mapping software I use, it doesn't do 3D but does do Isometric, objects can be made part of a group. I've never tried it, but apparently makes it easier to do some things.

( Campaign Cartographer 3+ in case you are wondering. )
  20. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

do implement search on youtube by tags "let's print!", "how to get 3d models", "how to pull 3d models", "how to extract 3d models", and you will see that for at least 6 years characters from games successfully are extracted and printed on 3d printers. and for this you don't need to be programmer. this is most often done for games on engine "unreal". why didn’t this happen for daybreak games? answer is simple: "the legality of pulling 3D mesh files from the game and 3D printing them is still murky. While you own the game, and the files within it, altering them may void warranties, and depending on the game it may violate the terms of service" (https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/makers-muse-3d-models-games-34647/). also, (in 2018 nov 18th) Darqwood with eq2interface.com replied to me that "the vpk files have to be reverse-engineered in order to work on them and Daybreak doesn't offer any tools for doing so. The EULA prohibits reverse-engineering the files". that is, we can’t just take and process the files we want. as for dbg, i think that they just didn't find it commercially appropriate for themselves to offer printout of certain models from the game to order. although I find ttobey's answers surely believable [ra'gr. nods in agreement]. you just have to put up with fact that they don’t have time for this, especially now