Is Sniper's shot underpowered?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-littleman17, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Naku9 Guest

get perfectionist, having it up every 10 minutes or less depending on buffs + 15% dmg increase while also taking a similar benefit to rain of arrows is nice....but no one believes me and says you have to have max ranged crists :smileysad:
  2. ARCHIVED-leafnin Guest

Decap is just a nice thing to have every 15 mins for them helps with their burst DPS. However they relie more on the mark line and their two lesser known high damage arts that equal and easily exceed the Storm/Rain line in most single encounters. Decap, Killing Blade (3 min recast), are affected by perfectionist. What's the cast on Rain 2 secs? They can get off Decap, Killing Blade, and Eviserate in 3 secs. three attacks to one for well over 40K to one target granted. That's not counting the intangibles (poison, gear, crits, DOTs, etc). Short trash AoE fights we're good...but who really cares about DPS on those type of raid targets??

Falcon/Peregrian
  3. ARCHIVED-Blarth Guest

I agree. Agi line should be 4/4/4/5/8 and Str line should be 4/4/4/4/8. You have no clue how much Perfectionist helps unless you have it. Rain of Arrows is unbelieveable powerful with this.

Rangers are in essence nukers. We are the scout version of the Wizard whereas the Assassin is the scout version of the Warlock. Currently Assassins and Warlocks kick [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] in raids because they hit the mob a LOT. Assassins have short casting timers but most of their hits arent nearly as powerful as ours are. While they are poking the mob a lot we are taking a big [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]ing blunt/sharp object and beating the crap out of the mob. If you look at the actual number of hits compared to that of how much damage you do, it turns out we hit harder on a consistant basis. The only reason that assassins beat us is while we are casting Veiled Fire which will hit for 3k or so an assassin is able to get off multiple attacks that eventually hit for 4k. Also if you look at progressive parse during the fight you will see that the ranger should always start out as the number one spot, the others dont hit nearly as hard to begin with but they catch up quick. The biggest problem, like wizards, is that we dont have nearly the sustainable dps that assassin/warlock has. Back to the issue, Sniper Shot and Rain of Arrows are just two more of our massive hits. Reducing the timers on these will make you kick so much more [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn].
  4. ARCHIVED-LordAngus Guest

5. ARCHIVED-LordAngus Guest

i think you got it a little mixed up.
    Ranger / Warlock = smaller attacks faster recasts better in AE fights
    Assasin / Wizard = bigger attacks and good at single targets
  6. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

Ranger lvl 58 ancient teachings skill = Sniper Shot
    Assassin lvl 58 ancient teachings skill = Finishing Blow

Ranger lvl 70 that upgrades the lvl 50 Storm of Arrows = Rain of Arrows
    Assassin lvl 70 that upgrades the lvl 50 Assassinate = Decapitate

Comparing Decapitate to Sniper Shot is an exercise in futility. Sniper shot is not the Ranger version of Decapitate. If for some reason we manage to get a better single target, leathal ranged attack, it will not be an upgrade to Sniper Shot, it'll be something totally new. Unless, the devs decide to upgrade the ancient teachings for all the classes. But then, that would create a whole new set of issues to complain about.:smileyhappy:
  7. ARCHIVED-Recca[BK] Guest

at least your rangers never saw the hour timer assassinate had, i could only imagine this thread if it still was an hour.

as i said before decap and snipe account for very very little of your overall raid dps. i wouldnt mind a rain of arrow equiv, but its not gonna happen, or a upgrade to finishing blow the assassin ancient teaching but its unlikely and honestly not needed. these are fine how they are at least a few of you rangers can understand that.
  8. ARCHIVED-ChaosUndivided Guest

Only change to be made is to fix the Casting timer to 2-3 Seconds.

Atm 5 seconds does not jusitfy the dps gain, not to mention it's a long time to be in stealth which can be easily broken by AE's etc.
  9. ARCHIVED-USAFJeeper Guest

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the Sniper Versus Rain issue. With its long cast, Rain hitting for 5k on a single target, is still only 1k DPS for that time period, autoattack reaches that with crits easily. Assassins beat me most of the time on raids (I rarely group anymore, playing my alts for that - Brigand ftw) so I will keep searching for ways to get better.

FYI I went to Poise with 5 in the crits and to Perfectionist in STR line.
  10. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I agree. The cast time for rain is too long and the cast time for sniper is way too long. I usually hit for about 10K with sniper, but when you take in consideration the 5 second cast timer, hitting focus to make sure I crit, and then going into stealth, I'm looking at minimum of seven seconds of no DPS while using sniper. If the shot happens to hit, I'm merely maintaining my normal DPS at that point. If the shot gets parried, my DPS will dip noticably.
    Message Edited by Gareorn on 07-14-2006 05:29 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

If OUR big hit is RAIN, and Assassins is DECAPITATE then this means one thing to me: Rangers are to be the AoE kings of predators just as warlocks (?) are, so why not give us MORE AoEs? I'd settle for that, at least I'd fill a niche that I don't feel I fill now...
  12. ARCHIVED-Marcuzs Guest

I have no problem with the way sniper shot currently is. What I would like to see is a faster recast if we miss like mages get. Having to wait 15 min to cast again because it got parried is crap.
  13. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

Only problem with snipers shot is the BS casting timer on it, apart from that it's fine as a t6 spell.

As for decapitate, assasins should have the best big hitter imho.

One huge issue for ranger is how totally underpowered triple volley is, for a lvl 70 spell thats a complete joke.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I've often wondered about this myself. Why is it that we only get the two AE's, one of which can't be used in many dungeons because it can pull adds. At least Rain is an encounter only AE, but I've nearly wiped the raid force on more than one occassion using Selection . And what's with the name "Selection" anyway? Naming an AE that aggros everything within the tri-state area "Selection" is kind of an oxymoron.
    Back to your point. We do seem to have a Warlock-Wizard relationship with our Assassin brothers and sisters. Why is it we only have two AE abilities? I will admit, I do like the AE fights, my DPS is much better when I can AE. But if we have a mezzer along, I can't AE, and I don't like not being able to AE.:smileytongue:
  15. ARCHIVED-BlackAdderDrop Guest

Hi Folks, Angus has Ice Nova's trials and tribulations down to a tee. I have 70 wiz/40aa and I can use Ice Nova once or twice on a raid/trash mob. The way I have it spec'd allows me roughly 12-15k with spikes above or below (HH for 22k atm.. thanks brigands :) ). I dusted off my Ranger and Sniper is a nice art but not really a main component of your DPS. If you want really big big numbers all the time then Wizards do that hands down, we also die more... so hope you like both. Fusion is the wizards version of nat selection and unless I have master amends and grouped with a troub and tank with a dirge I will not use it as I will die, each and every time. Fusion when it lands with the right AAs on it will do 45k+ dmg. on 3 mobs. I will however die immediately afterwards making me wish it hit 4 targets(wizard included) and save the agro pulling ;P.

Having recently toyed with my Ranger I have to say the art isnt all that bad considering the tier that it is in. Rain with procs is where you will get more DPS 100% of the time.

Hope this helps.

-Acelia 70 Wizard of Nektulos
    -Alaulai 60 Ranger of Nektulos
  16. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Ha, I've played a ranger for 18 months and never once thought of us as an AE class. But hey, guess you learn something every day.
    FWIW, I agree that the cast time on Sniper's is a bit long, and having to wait 15 mins b/c of a parry (when you're in stealth behind the mob) is completely ridiculous.
  17. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

Rangers are not the "AE" predators to the assassin's "single target". We just have a signature ability that is an encounter AE.
    Sniper's shot is not the problem with our dps, as somebody has mentioned. Things lacking like assassin's mark and the [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] bird are.
  18. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

So what you are saying Xney...is that when they were designing the new skills they really gave us the bird

..I..
    :smileysurprised:
  19. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

Yes, and it's a bird you use for 30 seconds straight. And it pulls aggro.. hmmmm
  20. ARCHIVED-Saihung23 Guest

hehe...sorry...I am...umm...how do you say...off balance today
    I dont quite understand when we had great agro control before...why they would give us this bird that is a liability from what I understand...
    I have it...I spent good money to get it...and I am afraid to use it...I dont know what it will do to be honest...
    Give me something that does some damage :/ or debuffs the enemy...or buffs our buddies