IoR: A special server...lets make it really special

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vunder, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahare Member

Well, I've hopped on to IoR...for a month anyways. I was planning on doing so anyways so as to obtain appearance items for my main character, and luckily or not I was not tied down with a close bond to my guild (I had only recently joined it). But, as many are surmising, I very well may be here and then head back home. They take my money, I take my loot, them back to other pastures afterwards.

For a solo player like myself, the perks are okay. The ascension XP could help (I'm at high level 6 now). It's nice being able to Resolve myself some more with gear, sure, though I likely won't get to the point as a merc-and-me where I'll really need it. But it's been a boon getting pretty items to look all nice and fancy.
  2. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I popped over to IoR yesterday afternoon for maybe an hour (I have a character there I made when the server opened and played for maybe a week or two then stopped)
    /w all netted a whopping high of 57 players at one point then dropped down to 50.
    No auctions to speak of, I saw 4 people total speak in general during that time and zero in LFG.
    Broker prices were about the same on normally traded items but kronos were running about 10% higher than they are on AB server.
    A few T4 raid gear pieces were on the broker, but of course they were unpacked to broker them and one wouldn't get the bonuses having not met the kill requirements.
    I suspect it will be busier on the weekends but it is a pretty dead server.
    Tekka and Mizgamer62 like this.
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

Well, honestly, EQ1 had a whole lot of tradeable gear anyway, always has. I think it still does (I really haven't played much except a little bit of newbie stuff on Agnarr in years). IoR just wasn't ...that much different at all.

FV had a distinctly different ruleset when it opened than the rest of the game and it was also an RP preferred server.

**oh looky, someone posted a copy of the original ruleset for it. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=1&mid=1475942986175091782
  4. Vokan Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago it was 19 players during prime time. So its getting busier. I think there are a few guilds transferring over, so that will help. No reason to SLR anything if you can put it on broker. Everything must be unpacked if you want to wear it without killing the boss. Unable to unpack if you didn't kill the t4.
  5. Konc3pt Active Member

Oh neat, guilds are interested in killing themselves
    Kioske likes this.
  6. Castegyre Well-Known Member

That's the reason why I originally went back there. I used to RP on FV as well as on one of the Zek servers. I was sad to see the RP was effectively dead, but the changes were interesting all the same. There were still some nice people there.
  7. Vokan Well-Known Member

Everyone is complaining that IoR is going to suck up too many people or not enough people. The negativity in this community is sick. Have any of you noticed that the people who actually played on this server seemed upbeat and positive even before the extra perks? Those of you who do nothing but complain are the exact reason we didn't like the other live servers. If that's you, please stay where you are.
    Zeddicious likes this.
  8. Melt Actually plays the game

Ironically coming from an ex-revelations member...
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

You are completely missing the point of most of the posts about it. I'll give you some bullet points.

1) Dev time is precious, we don't want a dead server soaking up any more extra time.

2) The extra entitlements basically make it a power level server, and the easily gotten gains can be moved back to the rest of the servers, this is a huge negative. Make it a one way trip again.

3) Making other paying subscribers feel like second class citizens a year after X special ruleset server was released just because it's not doing well is poor form on the part of the devs, no matter how much players on said special ruleset server beg for special treatment. They didn't do anything like that for the other 2 special ruleset servers that had population issues. One got shut down, the other is getting merged to onto a normal ruleset server.

The only thing that makes IoR special is their higher ups seeing $$$.

I've defended a LOT of SOE & Daybreak decisions over the years. I try to always be more positive than negative. I just happen to think this decision is a poor one for the health of the game.
  10. Konc3pt Active Member

Was going to happen when this expansion was over anyway.
  11. Vokan Well-Known Member

I don't think it took much dev time for these changes.
  12. Xakrein Well-Known Member

You claim that people collectively hate SLR? The topic of SLR has been raised multiple times. It is always a minority complaining about how SLR should be removed, primarily because the buyer did not earn the item by personally participating in the defeat of the mob. A Free Trade server does not resolve the most common complaint (raised by a minority) against SLR. Free Trade actually makes it worse.

IoR was advertised as a unique venue, with a fresh start, absent of influence from existing servers or economies. Along with the Free Trade status, it was the major selling point of the server. People who signed up for that, are no longer receiving what they signed up for.

Any special rule set server should be a fresh start, with no transfers, except when the special rule set server is shutting down. When it is being closed, the remnant population can be given an opportunity to transfer, and be forced to accept the rule set of the server they move to.

I was not surprised that IoR failed. It was not the way it was implemented, it was just 5-6 years too late. It is obvious that DBG does not care about IoR, and is now setting it up to "indirectly" facilitate players using DBC to achieve player power. That will make some people happy, but is not a good sign for the overall state of EQ2.
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

Even if it took 30 minutes, that was 30 minutes better spend elsewhere for the health of the over all game.
    Kioske, Xakrein and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. Kittybock Well-Known Member

We do have a special ruleset--which I love--we we are also a sub-only server. Perhaps they are dangling that subscription carrot for those which don't care about being on a TLE server?? Just my guess, but what do I know, I'm only a Kitty.. :)
  15. Nkito Well-Known Member

Everything but the double loot weekends seem like things that could be attached to the membership buff and not server specific.
    Xakrein likes this.
  16. Stach Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this during my morning run, If they let me do a free transfer to this server, for renewing my account, (and that is all characters I would like to move) I would think about doing it. But losing my own guildhall, and all the stuff I have already bought. Would take alot more than what they are offering on it right now

Stach
    Malleria likes this.
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

They don't need to make the perks (the ones unrelated to the special rules) be ONLY on a single server to 'dangle the subscription carrot'. They could make the perks be PART of subscribing. Same carrot, but not only for SOME subscribers. That, really, is the bone of contention. That only SOME subscribers 'deserve' the perks.
    Malleria and Mizgamer62 like this.
  18. Kristabella Well-Known Member

For those guilds that want to take advantage of the unique properties of the Free Trade server, status applied towards leveling your guild has been permanently set to five times the normal value!

Not to mention you can save your guild hall profile, pack up all your stuff, set it down in a new guild hall, load up that profile, and it will be just like it was.
  19. Tekka Well-Known Member

This has already been addressed. They have chosen to give tens of people on a failed server a 'special carrot' to entice existing players to spend money on round trip transfers - to PL and get their gear hand outs. It's far less likely to garner additional subscription than the equitable option - give the 'special carrot' to thousands of subscribers, regardless of server.

Yes, the players on IoR pay a subscription. And so do thousands of other players across other servers, some of which were and are subscription only.

All that's being asked for and discussed - by non-IoR players - is equitable treatment for all paying customers to benefit the entire game. No one has even suggested IoR be denied anything, or have anything taken from them.

Can you be clear about what it is you're asking for?

In regards to your guild move suggestion, far more goes into a successful guild than just levels. The more activities and active members a guild has, the more prohibitive your suggestion is. Even if it's just a personal guild, or a very small group of friends, there is more to it than scrap it and go, we get 5x xp.

And that's not even touching on other ties and commitments to their communities that a player or guild might have - which has also been addressed numerous times.

Those are just two of the more relevant factors that make it unlikely that the vast majority of those that use IoR just to level up and buy their raid gear, to stick around longer than the required 30 days (and those players are already subscribers).
    Mizgamer62 and Castegyre like this.
  20. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to move a guild to IoR simply because I wouldn't want it to stagnate and die. I'm very fond these days of friends and family guilds and role playing guilds that aren't shallow, insular husks and that's hard to have on a server where a large portion of any potential new blood to the game will likely never show up.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.