IoR: A special server...lets make it really special

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vunder, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echoing Member

doesnt let me edit last post but here is that item
    \aITEM -1477299986 1759523516:Tears of Ascension\/a
  2. Tekka Well-Known Member

Even with all the new perks, a subscription is required AND you still have to pay for the same things everyone else does, right? Ascension upgrades and other boosts. (I didn't even know the travel thing was there in the regular game. I travel the same way I have done for 17 years across multiple games. For me it's just that insignificant because I harvest and collect shinies while on the way to the destination.)

However if you ever decide you don't want to pay a subscription, but still want to play the game you're SoL. No access to your characters unless you pay up - 5$ to move there (or free if you roll there) and 25$ to leave - which they stated firmly would never be an option when the server launched.

I suspect there will be a repeat of launch with smaller numbers - a brief surge followed by a steady decline as folks with one paid account and free alt accounts don't move. and others that are subscribers that play with friends and family that are free or cyclical subscribers return to their groups.

No amount of compromising their integrity or blatant bribes are going to make it a success if it just doesn't work. All it does is continue to segregate a shrinking player base.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Icebands Member

Your right they do have the thing for those with tome, and that does exactly zilch for new players/returning vets to help catch up with a main char.
  4. Dilf Member

I transferred my Berserker from Maj'Dul last night to IoR, and am quite happy with the change. Obviously a smaller population, but it just feels more chill and the perks are pretty cool. I'm an obvious fan of Firiona Vie in EQ1, so IoR feels right! I know there is some negative feelings from f2p players about IoR and the TLE servers, but EQ1 and EQ2 are both worth having a subscription, especially if you enjoy the game.
    Zeddicious and Prissetta like this.
  5. Tekka Well-Known Member

At least as many subscribers have concerns about IoR, and other gimmick servers because of the detrimental impact they have on the game over all.

With a small (and shrinking) player base, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to continually divide up those players. And even less when it's along the line of - dutiful subscription and little more (though a few in the top end have dumped loads on ascension research) and ... everyone else - regular subscribers that are invested not just in their characters, but their server communities, cyclical subscribers that are on and off and use the cash shop, those that play free and make significant cash shop purchases, players that play for free.

It's a much bigger issue than just whether or not a subscription is 'worth it'. (and is the only reason a player should pay a subscription to begin with, and also entirely subjective)
    Mermut and Mizgamer62 like this.
  6. Icebands Member

Again this does not a thing for new or returning players who DO NOT have a char with high ascension.3
  7. Kari Well-Known Member

Making the ethereal belt and cloak available only on that server is a real concern to me. If anyone needs to change to another toon for raiding, or a new raider wants to get serious about their toon, will they be stuck moving to IoR for a month to get their items and then moving back to another server that raids? Is there a population there to support pugs for expert heroic groups?
    Zeddicious likes this.
  8. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

In answer to the population question, my friend logged on there the other day and did a who all and there were only 39 players logged in on the entire server.
    Kioske likes this.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

It's not just "F2P ers" who have negative feelings about what's going on.
    Majesty, Rhodris, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  10. Kari Well-Known Member

I agree. I have been subbed for a decade and never played F2P and am very concerned. I don't think that anyone I play with is F2P, as you need to be a member to wear most decent gear.
    Mermut, Tekka and Mizgamer62 like this.
  11. Stach Well-Known Member

If they offered up the year subscription like they did last year, I would think about moving over to IoR, I pretty much play alone now anyway. But I am not resubbing on my accounts unless that happens, so no move either.

Stach
  12. AB guy New Member

I don't remember the last time I did a /who all and it topped out at 100 on IoR so if you want your own private Diogenes Club you can have it for sure. I would argue this is the same as for any other server, mind you, if you stay unguilded, drop from /general chat and/or just act the fool. However if you want to participate and mind your manners then you'll not be wanting for friends, help or any of it again. I quickly found an amazing guild (waves at Kitty) that honestly can't seem to do enough for me -and this is as a generally clueless, long time Eq1 guy who recently fancied a look at the "other" Everquest.

Anyway, vive la difference and all that. There's not enough of us to be fighting amongst ourselves.
    Kittybock likes this.
  13. olleran Active Member

Up until now the special servers have been playstyle choices , AB for RP, Nagafen for PVP etc , now that all seems to change.

The only requirement to get all these added extra features on IoR seems to be having a subscription. That screws over us player on other servers who have a subscription but get none of these benefits.

Wtg for making us all feel, like a community.
    Mermut, Tekka and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. Doomravin Well-Known Member

What IS with all this divide and conquer the server communities recently?

First proving grounds, then fallen gate. now new bells and whistles for a dying prestige server?
    Anyone come up with a halfway logical reason yet?
    Mermut, Finora and Mizgamer62 like this.
  15. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Yeah Kari, there's enough to run all the heroics / experts / etc et al. I came to the same conclusion too - this becoming the next powerleveling server for alts / etc for raid focused players. I mean heck, if GM'ing ascension to the tune of XXXX dbc, then moving / rolling on IoR and bouncing out after 30ish days for 3k dbc is nothing.
  16. Dilf Member

I understand, and people have the right to be concerned either way. On the flip side of dividing the population, DBG is trying to reach out and give incentives for people to come back to the game. They are even reaching the folks burned out on WoW, which honestly surprises me. IoR has great perks to make it worthwhile to come back. I was perfectly happy playing EQ1 and never coming back to EQ2, but FG and IoR hooked me again big time.
  17. Tekka Well-Known Member

I think they could have drawn back many times more players if they'd made these subscription perks apply to all players who pay a subscription. They get their 15$ either way, it would foster less dissatisfaction and divisiveness.
  18. Revel Well-Known Member

Should just made all regular servers IoR rules to be done with SLR and called it a day. As usual, Daybreak is pants on head ********.
    Zeddicious, Mizgamer62 and Malleria like this.
  19. Silkmyst Active Member

I really enjoy IOR, even though it's quiet. Nice people, no offense in general chat. I don't see why all the drama. Grouping everyone into one big laggy server, or turning off a small server that is self supporting with subscriptions (I'm sure they will if it stops being so anyways), doesn't really help anyone, does it?

It's just a game. :)

Silk
    Ummmyeh and Kittybock like this.
  20. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Since you brought up returning players, IoR not only has perks, it is also the best for those new or returning, at least IMHO. The rule-set of this server allows us to just hand gear to new folks, not make them have to hang online and wait for SLR.

Personally, I love the perks they've bestowed upon the Isle.
    Dilf, Zeddicious and Prissetta like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.