Instead of TLE - Make EQ3

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Rhoks, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Pharliquin Member

It takes a whole lot of money and time to get something completely new out there, I doubt our current subscribing base would be enough to pay for such a thing. Might be plausible to take EQ1 and give it a few EQ2 boosts and platform that match todays computer abilities. Just march it along with expansions leading to the Shattering, then into EQ2 storyline and lore. However there are a lot of faithful EQ1 folks that might not like the idea of changing it much. I read not that long ago a Dev posted (Sorry forget who-maybe it was ttobey) that sometimes they have ideas and changes and would like to get rid of some older models and things to make room, but people start complaining "oh I really liked that/them dont take it out/change it"
    A new looking version of Norrath maybe would be affordable and doable, but would people play or complain of the change?
    The TLE thing seems to be dividing an already shrinking population further, but it is most likely a income generator.
    Geroblue likes this.
  2. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

The TLE servers cost them very little in the way of manpower and effort and bring in an influx of subs from returning players, so there's no reason to not do them. EQ1 did have have an expac leading into eq2 and the Shattering, it was Planes of Power. If I were them, I'd keep anything EQ2 related as far from EQ1 as possible. EQ1 has like 3 times the subs of EQ2, most of those players don't want anything to do with EQ2.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

Not really no. The vast majority of people who play on TLEs do not play on live.
    tbmroark, adaria, Mountbatten and 2 others like this.
  4. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

This. It's two different audiences. The majority of people who play on TLE servers wouldn't be playing on live servers if TLE servers didn't exist, they wouldn't be playing at all.
    Almost, Mountbatten and Siren like this.
  5. Kotter Legendary Member

you could say the same thing about the PvP server.
    Rhoks likes this.
  6. Rhoks Active Member

Well if we dont get a EQ3 are they just going to keep coming out with a new TLE every 3 years lol

Its already getting old (Even tho I know I will play it) Just wondering how long they can keep this up. Live servers seems to gradually decrease with every new xpack coming out.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

Why can't they do both? Hopefully they are. :)
    Geroblue, Breanna and Rhoks like this.
  8. Leibnitz Member

The owner of the EQ IP does tease 'long term' development projects relating to the IP. But since nothing tangible on that front has materialised since EQ Next days I think it's just fanning investor flames. They make money running their games with development investment trimmed to the bone. I don't think it's in their DNA to build one.
    Geroblue likes this.
  9. Rhoks Active Member

i really hope so.
    Geroblue and Siren like this.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

Have you seen this on the launchpad yet?

https://www.everquest2.com/news/darkpaw-games-is-hiring

If they're developing EQ3, it stands to reason they will pull their best and brightest off the older games and put them to work on the new one. Hence, they'll need some EQ1 and EQ2 replacement workers to hold down the fort.

Just my two copper, anyway.
    Geroblue likes this.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

Well EverQuest has been doing TLP servers for 16 years with no sign of slowing. So I think it's safe to say EQ2 will continue to do them as long as it is profitable.
  12. Rhoks Active Member

Im ok if Norrath got hit by a meteor and everything had to start over lol particularly where stats actually mattered and we didnt have so much CB/Potency/Resolve etc and then ascension spells
  13. Leibnitz Member

I hadn't seen that Siren, thanks. It led me to take a look at their full set of current vacancies here: https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers It is an interesting insight into responsibilities at a game company.

I saw no sign of EQ3 on the horizon though. I did see signs of work to build the MTGO team, build the LOTRO team and build for an unannounced superhero MMO. MTGO rights were recently acquired and LOTRO is part of their mid term strategy for growth due to the Amazon LOTRO series.

As far as EQ3 goes I think Pantheon will be the closest we come for a while. I did wonder if Daybreak would acquire/invest in Visionary Realms and get them to retool Pantheon with assets from the EQ IP but there's no sign of it yet.
  14. Rhoks Active Member

I feel like thats IF pantheon ever comes out. I feel like I first heard about it in 2015 and here we are 7 years later still in a Pre Alpha phase
    Rargo and Dude like this.
  15. Rargo Active Member

Pantheon has potential but using it for an example of how long and expensive making a new MMO can be is the point, if they have not started EQ3 already it probably will never happen.
  16. Pharone Active Member

Pantheon is not in any way possible a good example of any MMORPG being created. Comparing it is meaningless.
    Geroblue and Siren like this.
  17. tnilc516 New Member

Ashes of Creation is EQ3 lol .. no joke. Go check it out
  18. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. The best talent in that company has already come and gone. AoC will probably see a final release, but the end product will not resemble anything that could be considered EQ3.

And as for Pantheon. That will never see the light of day. I would bet money on that...but, well, actually, I already have.
    Arielle Nightshade and Rhoks like this.
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

AoC will launch about the same time Pantheon does.
  20. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

There's still a lot of really talented people over there. Hopefully they get to ship their game.
    Seijen, Zarriya, Xevran and 2 others like this.