I am the proof in the pudding, blessed of Brell...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Wurm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Bregdania Active Member

Sure I've read this same topic many times before but this one just made me laugh and have a feeling of comradeship!!LOL :p
  2. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I don't hate them, I just question whether we need yet another source for them. Especially as a reward for a weekly quest. The rest of the rewards I am fine with. The goody bag, though, often seems like it is less goody and more bag. ;)

I know it is only 20 of a random T10 common harvest once a week (for the weekly quest). But, honestly, I'd rather get a random shiny from previous content than common harvests for a weekly reward*.

* Speaking of shinies - Devs, when are the gardeners going to start returning shinies that are more current than Sentinel's Fate?
  3. Sambril Well-Known Member

Well they could make it count for the gold bonus and give you 40 instead :)
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

So your saying that 10 DE isn't enough reward to do this quest, it needs to guarantee a crafting potion or better on top of that? I think 100% of you will continue to do this quest if no changes are made. Am I wrong?
  5. Prrasha Well-Known Member

The "goody bag" also comes from the tradeskill apprentices, Meirril. Not everything in the game is about etyma. Just most things. ;)

And the rewards all almost all lame:
    - blue coin? cobalt scar gear has all been replaced. So it's worth... a fraction of a piece of furniture?
    - azure reactant? cobalt scar gear has all been replaced. Not even worth wasting rares to use these.
    - 20 common harvests? bleh. My guild and house depots are already full of some of these, so the "reward" is "waste 2 mouse clicks destroying it".
    - 1 rare harvest? OK. We still use rares in ToV. This one is actually a "reward".
    - potions? anyone running the apprentices for recipes the past couple years has 25% XP potions and 6-hour harvest potions out the wazoo. The success/critsuccess ones probably take as much time to drink as they save you in crafting time, unless you're using them to level up newbie crafters who don't have strong counters and nifty gear. So, the innovation and progress ones are the only useful ones, and the best use for them right now is to recycle them into next week's combine-from-hell.
    - colossal reactant? as an item, good for an hour or two of XP farming until you can wear ToV stuff. this is really a 1-in-500 chance at "fabled level 90 transmutable."

So, out of all the possible rewards, the innovation and progress potions and the very-rare colossal transmuter's stone are the only good ones left, if you've been running the apprentices for their recipes all this time.

And, SoE updated the rewards for Cobalt Scar, which wasn't even really a gear reset. And updated them in a way that, eventually, tradeskillers could get the "adventure-gained" materials for the recipes (via blue coins). Not updating the rewards for ToV, which is a complete gear reset, seems... odd, at best.
    Morfydd and Mermut like this.
  6. Rotherian Well-Known Member

It would be really helpful if you would quote the person to whom you are replying. Which player is it that you believe stated the quoted comment - even by implication? I know it isn't me, since I've already stated that the common harvests should be only be removed if they are to be replaced with something else (preferably something that crafters would want, but not anything that would unbalance the game). The implication of that comment being, of course, that the harvests wouldn't be replaced on the reward table by something that is already on the reward table.

This leaves, I believe, three conversational options: (a) you are replying to the original poster, (b) you are replying to the person whose post immediately preceded yours, or (c) you are replying to the general impression you have of the thread instead of any specific statement that a poster made.

I don't mean this post offensively, and I hope that it isn't taken as such. I just wanted clarification from you about the identity of the person toward which the quoted comment was directed.

Edit: Mostly, just to make sure that the person at whom it was directed wasn't me. If it was someone else, then I really need no further clarification. :D
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Quote seems broken in the reply section. Ah well.

Everything your complaining about is consistent with what happens anytime you have an expansion that breaks with previous itemization. This is 100% consistent with every expansion up to Destiny of Velious. For a few years afterward itemization didn't break. Everything from DoV to CoE has a straight progression that was consistent. Boring, but consistent.

ToV broke itemization and everything old was left behind. We didn't get a whole new set of recipes because we're doing this 2 and 3 level advances. Technically speaking what we produce for 90 and 92 gear hasn't gotten any more difficult so the basic recipes didn't need any advancement. The recipes and content your complaining about are CoE content and fine for that expansion.

It isn't like crafters were ignored in this expansion. We've got adornments, gems and random drops from the bonus mobs in group instances. Considering how strong the group content is in this expansion I think we're in relatively good shape.

As for the apprentices...they got out of date before CoE and weren't really worth messing with before CoE introduced new recipes and that coin mechanic. That entire coin mechanic got replaced with a different mechanic: daily and weekly crafting quests. I'll admit I don't do the dailies because I'd rather do daily adventuring content but I definitely like the weekly crafting and I think both set of quests are superior to the apprentice grind.

Anyways back on topic. The devs don't want you getting a jackpot every time you go to do an apprentice or a weekly combine. The bonus goods are mostly junk, but it isn't the real meat of the reward either. I seriously don't get why there is so much complaining about getting harvests. We're crafters, we use harvests. It seems like an appropriate non-reward. Or would you prefer it works like the solo-instance rewards for the sub-bosses? They drop a chest with a little gold in it and once in a while a (worthless) charged adornment or even rarer decent drop. Honestly I'd rather keep getting the resources because its more crafty, even if I have no use for them. I guess it just doesn't bother me to delete things.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  8. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I am running into that problem when hopping on the forums from my tablet (which probably uses a version of IE), but I don't have that problem when using my PC (which definitely uses Chrome). On my tablet, I have to right-click, then select "Open link in new tab", then copy/paste the text back to the original chat box.

For a daily reward, the harvests are totally appropriate, along with the rest of the things (i.e. the azure reactants and the "blue coins") that come from the Tradeskill Apprentices. For a weekly reward, not so much.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess. ;)
  9. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Some of us don't care about the etymas, booby prizes on multiple crafting quests are not fun. Let me buy potions with the etymas:)
  10. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Was it in beta or I just remember wrong that the goody bag could reward a rare purple adornment
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

It was like that in beta.
  12. Meirril Well-Known Member

Don't care about etyma... Cloudrat your worse than a KEI addict. Seek professional help.
  13. Katz Well-Known Member

I like the idea of tokens being rewarded... I know some people don't care about them but you could sell the items that you spend them on perhaps. Regardless, for the weekly, something nicer than common mats would be nicer. ;)
  14. Prrasha Well-Known Member

It was not meant so much as a "complaint", as perspective for the previous posters' request (no more common mats), which you claim is giving crafters too much.

We gained far more in that adjustment (new recipes for gear for 3 slots plus the coins to buy all the parts to make them) than this adjustment would represent.

And "I, personally, don't care that it's worthless" seems like an odd reason to argue against replacing a worthless reward. Seems as though you don't really have a dog in this fight...
  15. Wurm Well-Known Member

After the motto:

Make the 20 something booby prize fuel at least... that is at least a reward we can always use and don't have a literal crap ton of it in a box somewhere.
    Feara likes this.
  16. Feara Well-Known Member

Please Team, omit the common harvest from the loot table.
  17. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the post. Except for the literal crap ton part. I have a lot of harvests. But since the closest thing we have to being able to use that specific unit of measure is fertilizer - which has no weight as far as the game is concerned - then we can't have a literal one*.

* A figurative one? Absolutely. A literal one? No. :p
    Feara and Morfydd like this.
  18. Sambril Well-Known Member

So that's what I'm picking up when I loot 'a small bag of compost' from a mob? I think my toons will be washing hands more often. :oops:
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

Your seriously saying that 3 pieces of gear that were all out performed by EM raid drops which you had to spend about half an hour to make each and 25 quest rewards per ingredient with 6 ingredients used per recipe is better than a dozen adornment recipes and 3 upgrade gems in which we can earn 17 DE (doubled for gold members) per week in the same time frame that you could get 7 blue coins? The purple adornments are going to have as high of a demand as the rings (if not higher) and a longer lifespan of usefulness.

So seriously, explain to me just how the CoE content was better than the current ToV content? Please provide details.

As for not having a dog: I like the harvests. It feels better than getting nothing. If the harvests get dropped from the reward table I think we'll get nothing instead and potions and better rewards will remain as rare as they are now. I prefer getting the placeholder rather than nothing. Is that clear?
  20. Wurm Well-Known Member

The bag has to have something in it... so getting nothing isn't going to happen.