I am the proof in the pudding, blessed of Brell...

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Wurm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Wurm Well-Known Member

Madria Varas and Kaisha Swifteasel salute me when I walk up the stairs. Researcher Azira asks me for my newest Potion recipes. Yun Zi and I gossip over the latest techniques for making Bamboo furniture while sipping green tea.

It should not take me so long to make a blasted book with pictures of fish or leaves! ;)

And in no way should I be rewarded for said book with 20 plump lychees! :mad:
    Morfydd, Feara, Bregdania and 2 others like this.
  2. Mae- Well-Known Member

Why do we need another thread on the same subject?
  3. Azian Well-Known Member

This was my first thought too. However, I have also been the lucky winner of something like...

which made me laugh. :) It is a bit odd that it's one of the reward possibilities.
    Bregdania likes this.
  4. Wurm Well-Known Member

Its not about the craft, its about the crappy reward.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

It's about the same quest.
  6. Wurm Well-Known Member

So? The booby prizes need to be removed. It is enough that you get them from the research assistant.
  7. Mae- Well-Known Member

Your post was 3 lines long. One line (the shortest one to boot) was about the reward. The rest was (again) complaining about the amount of time of the final combine. It does not need an additional post. Period.
  8. Wurm Well-Known Member

The point of the thread is bolded, the other part has a wink smiley next to it. And regardless of your opinion I made the thread about the booby prize. And last time I checked you weren't the crafting dev.
    Kraeref likes this.
  9. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I hope they DO NOT remove the "booby" prize as some are calling it. The chance (even if a small one) at a progress/innovation or reactant (I know, I know they are "worthless" now lol) is enough for me. It doesn't take anything away from the quest and the actual reward we should all be after is the etyma. Obviously it's my opinion, but somehow one or two people saying is a booby prize may actually obscure the ones (like me) that like the additional reward.
  10. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I think what is being suggested is that common harvests not be among the possible rewards in the "goody bag"*. I don't think that anybody (in this thread) is suggesting that the goody bag be done away with altogether**.

* Or "booby prize", "Dibbler's sausage-inna-bun", or whatever else you may want to call it.
    ** Of course, I reserve the right to be completely wrong***. ;)
    *** But I don't think I am in this case.
    Feara likes this.
  11. Mae- Well-Known Member

You're wrong (sorry, when you open yourself up like that, then I can't help but come here and say it!)
    In any case, removing the common harvests would then unbalance the rare rewards, as there would be less options on the loot table for the goody bag, making everything else drop more often. As much as I roll my eyes at getting a stack of commons, I can see the reason why devs have it. Guaranteeing a rare or crafting potion sounds like a good idea, but it really isn't.
    Estred likes this.
  12. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I understand your point, and I wasn't saying that it was a good or a bad idea. I was just trying to clarify what seemed to be a misinterpretation, on the part of the player I quoted, of the original poster's intent*.

However, if I was to suggest removing the common harvests, I would suggest replacing them with something that, perhaps**, wouldn't be quite as worthless unnecessary as common harvests. Possibly something like 20 City Tokens or 15 Elemental Tokens, which (although they can't directly be traded to another player) can be saved until the next City Festival or Moonlight Enchantments event (respectively) and used to acquire tiles and other house items that decorators will pay a decent amount of coin to purchase. (Granted, nobody is likely to become rich via this method, but a tidy sum can still be obtained.)

* Which is fine; we all make errors from time to time***.
    ** Since necessary is a relative term - as is worth.
    *** To err is to be humanoid, to really mess things up takes a dragon****. :p
    **** Void Dragons being excluded from that remark, of course, Estred. :D
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

I agree for the daily apprentice quests. But I don't think it would be unbalancing for the weekly quests... it IS just once a week.
    Feara likes this.
  14. Malleria Well-Known Member

lol @ a guaranteed rare harvest once per week being unbalanced.
    Morfydd, Feara, Kraeref and 1 other person like this.
  15. Wurm Well-Known Member

Yeah I know... take the common harvests and the rare off the table and make it one random potion a week and I'd be fine with it.
  16. Mae- Well-Known Member

Some of us crafters don't give a rats furry butt about Moonlight Enchantments or City Festivals.

P.S. I didn't say that getting 1 rare a week was unbalancing, I said removing commons from the bag unbalanced the intended rewards from the bag.
  17. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Don't disparage rat butts! My rats all have very cute furry ones....and the boys have the most amazing sized knackers......
    Bregdania likes this.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

I sort of hope not.. since it would mean they intended to give us effectively 'nothing' most of the time, which would make it even more of a booby prize then it already is :p
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Granted. But there has to be something that crafters, across the board, do want that would both be more valuable than the same stuff they get from their Tradeskill Apprentices and not be so valuable as to be unbalancing. I agree with the OP that the common harvests aren't something that should be on that specific reward table, but I also agree with you that, if removed, the common harvests should be replaced with something.

The biggest problem is figuring out what that something should be. If it was tradeskill faction for previous areas, that would be great, but (a) it would be difficult to include that without making it appear like it was shoehorned in, and (b) some folks would be disgruntled about others being able to shortcut any faction grinds (some of them - those that tend toward dramatic expression and hyperbole - would probably even go so far as to call it a slap in the face). If it was a small bag of coins (think the value of the daily quest plat reward x 7), some might like it, but others would grumble about it.

One reason I suggested those two currencies is that it would allow people to gain the currencies while doing what they were already doing anyway, then the only time they would need to spend in those areas would be to spend the currencies (if a player chose to do so). In the case of Moonlight Enchantments, instead of spending time making root beer, someone could zone into that grotto, make a rude gesture at the faun, purchase the house items from the merchant, and then get on with their virtual lives. But, still, I understand that some don't even care about getting the house items (even if it is just to sell the ones that can be traded upon the broker).

So, what would you suggest as a suitable replacement for the common harvests?
  20. Mae- Well-Known Member

That question is better asked to someone who hates the common harvests. I'm OK with them.